Close Encounters The Special Edition music question

Apologies up front if this has been discussed elsewhere.

When I first listened to the CE3K track on the BPO Pops in Space album, I was pleasantly surprised to find that the music JW composed for the SE of the film (the interior scenes of the mothership) was contained inside the suite.

I'm assuming this is the actual score recording for the film, as it includes the choral part? Presumably when recording the Pops album they used the same recording sessions to record that bit of music for the SE? Anyone more knowledgeable than I know anything about this?

If so, would this be the first time that the BPO as an ensemble has recorded music for a film score (as in the actual soundtrack)?

Some JWfaners maintain that INSIDE THE MOTHERSHIP is a rerecording, for POPS IN SPACE.

I have been listening to POPS IN SPACE, since 1980, and I also saw the SE:CE3K, in 1980. I can hear no difference between the music on the CD, and the music in the film.

I am, however, prepared to be proven wrong. 

It might be a alternate take.

Unfortunately I can't check as my whole collection is in storage right now.

If we do get a 40th Anniversary release of the score, hopefully the liner notes will clarify this.

48 minutes ago, Luke Skywalker said:

Do the liner notes say when it was recorded? they usually put those things.

There's not much, if anything, to go on.

Information was rather scant, on that LP.

45 minutes ago, JTWfan77 said:

Unfortunately I can't check as my whole collection is in storage right now.

Your entire collection?! What happened?

I don't remember. I don't have Pops in Space. I always assumed it was the same recording as By Request but now I'm  not sure. By request does have the Inside the Mothership music though

1 hour ago, Disco Stu said:

Isn't "By Request" all new recordings?

It's all non-OST recordings, but as far as I know they're all "old" recordings in that it's a compilation of various Williams Boston Pops albums, no?

2 minutes ago, Marian Schedenig said:

It's all non-OST recordings, but as far as I know they're all "old" recordings in that it's a compilation of various Williams Boston Pops albums, no?

Assuming @Bespin's discography site is correct, it's a mix of new/unreleased recordings and previously released recordings.

By Request... The Best Of John Williams And The Boston Pops Orchestra (1987, Philips, 420 178-1, Compilation; Boston Pops O/Williams)

Olympic Fanfare And Theme*; The Cowboys Overture; Excerpts From Close Encounters Of The Third Kind; March From Midway; Flying Theme From "E.T."; Luke And Leia Theme From Return Of The Jedi; March From Superman; Liberty Fanfare*; March From Raiders Of The Lost Ark; Yoda's Theme From The Empire Strikes Back; March From "1941"*; Theme From Jaws*; Imperial March From The Empire Strikes Back; Mission Theme (Theme For NBC News)*; Main Theme From Star Wars. *Previously unreleased.

(Released in 1987, Philips, 420 178-2)

"Close Encounters" is one of the previously released tracks, so yeah it's the same recording as on Pops in Space.

1 hour ago, Disco Stu said:

Assuming @Bespin's discography site is correct, it's a mix of new/unreleased recordings and previously released recordings.

Right, it's basically a compilation... but with some previously unreleased "surprises". :-) The "Liberty Fanfare" recording on this album remains rare, it appeared on very few compilations since 1987.

p_4201781.jpg

By Request... The Best Of John Williams And The Boston Pops Orchestra (1987, Philips, 420 178-1, Compilation; Boston Pops O/Williams)

Olympic Fanfare And Theme*; The Cowboys Overture; Excerpts From Close Encounters Of The Third Kind; March From Midway; Flying Theme From "E.T."; Luke And Leia Theme From Return Of The Jedi; March From Superman; Liberty Fanfare*; March From Raiders Of The Lost Ark; Yoda's Theme From The Empire Strikes Back; March From "1941"*; Theme From Jaws*; Imperial March From The Empire Strikes Back; Mission Theme (Theme For NBC News)*; Main Theme From Star Wars. *Previously unreleased.

(Released in 1987, Philips, 420 178-2)

Back then I treasured the By Request album as much as the Spielberg/Williams collaboration c.d.'s  . It was the first time I had Olympic Fanfare and NBC news on c.d.

Liberty Fanfare is the only Williams conducted performance on c.d. right?

8 hours ago, Richard said:

Some JWfaners maintain that INSIDE THE MOTHERSHIP is a rerecording, for POPS IN SPACE.

I have been listening to POPS IN SPACE, since 1980, and I also saw the SE:CE3K, in 1980. I can hear no difference between the music on the CD, and the music in the film.

So, is all the music on the Arista album the complete score that was recorded in 1977 and the additional music for the SE was recorded in 1980?

I'm a bit mixed up about the CE3K Finale and  End Credits.

Why didn't they include the inside the mothership music on the CE3K Collector's Edition?  And why is the ending of the End Credits with the When You Wish Upon a Star quote and CHORAL 5 note motif at the end not on the Pops in Space recording?

So it means they made a new recording session for the End Credits for the 1980 release of the movie but re-used the Boston Pops recording for the Inside the Mothership scene?

why was the choir 5 note motif never used again in any recording...it's beautiful

Finally is the 1977 album End Credits what Williams actually recorded or intended or  just an edit of other cues? Or is the "special edition" end credit the actual recording that was supposed to be used in 1977 but replaced.  I find it suspect that both the 1977 and 1980 recording have the "flourish" version of the 5 note motif at the beginning but he never used it again in any re-recording (a bit like the "Ouch" moment in the E.T. finale)

2 hours ago, king mark said:

Liberty Fanfare is the only Williams conducted performance on c.d. right?

Yes.

1 hour ago, Marian Schedenig said:

And The Cowboys Overture?

Yes too.

14 hours ago, Thor said:

BY REQUEST is one of those must-have JW compilations that I've had for ages. At least it used to be -- these days, much of it is available elsewhere as well.

It was my first John Williams compilation cd and I bought it from a used cd store. I think it was my 2nd or 3rd cd and I hadnt even bought a cd player at that time (But I used go to my aunts home and play it there!) Been Playing this a lot recently specially Liberty Fanfare and The Cowboys!

On January 27, 2017 at 7:28 PM, Brundlefly said:

So, is all the music on the Arista album the complete score that was recorded in 1977 and the additional music for the SE was recorded in 1980?

No, there are still some cues missing from the Arista CD

4 minutes ago, Corellian2019 said:

No, there are still some cues missing from the Arista CD

Mostly film versions cues, album versions and alternates.I'd like to see a properly remastered OST album again. 

On January 27, 2017 at 7:33 PM, king mark said:

Finally is the 1977 album End Credits what Williams actually recorded or intended or  just an edit of other cues? Or is the "special edition" end credit the actual recording that was supposed to be used in 1977 but replaced.  I find it suspect that both the 1977 and 1980 recording have the "flourish" version of the 5 note motif at the beginning but he never used it again in any re-recording (a bit like the "Ouch" moment in the E.T. finale)

The second half of the "End Credits" on the 1977 album is tracked from "TV Reveals" and "Roy and Gillian on the Road". The "End Credits" on the 1998 album is the original cue as composed by Williams. Simple as that.

The only real thing left up for debate is whether "Inside the Mothership" was re-recorded for CD or not, although to my ears, the Boston Pops track sounds nearly identical to the film version

19 minutes ago, azahid said:

Mostly film versions cues, album versions and alternates.I'd like to see a properly remastered OST album again. 

Don't forget source music and sweeteners!