Eurovision Song Contest 2017

Biodome

I'm not sure how many people here have an interest in the ESC, seeing as the demographics of this forum is mostly American. However, if any of you like to watch it once in a while, I thought that a thread for this year's contest would be useful.

I am usually bored by most of the songs, as they rarely stand out from the others that follow the "perfect" Eurovision song formula and the cliches associated with it. Scanning through this years entries, however, I thought that the Portuguese one was quite original and admirable. Quite artistic, pure music, in my opinion:

What are your favourites this year, if any?

ESC is what everbody hates, but everbody still watches. Pure camp through and through, which is why it has been embraced by the gay community.

I've not heard any of the songs this year, neither from Norway nor any other countries, but I'm sure I'll get invited to a ESC party. I just use it as an opportunity to get drunk and diss the quality of the songs, and the fact that an Eastern European country wins all the time, since all the countries over there vote for each other.

The UK entry this year is decent and features a good singer (former X-Factor hopeful Lucie Jones), but I doubt it will feature near the top somehow.

My favourite UK entry of recent years remains Daz Sampson with Teenage Life.  It had a white rapper, glottal stops and everything.  We were robbed by Lordi that year!

:cheer:

1 minute ago, BloodBoal said:

Didn't Brexit happen because of Eurovision?

Well, the nation's collective sense of injustice at Daz Sampson's failure to garner sufficient votes from the continent in 2006 is not something that can be simply swept under the carpet.  The festering indignation was bound to rise to the surface some day, more terrible than anyone could possibly have imagined.

I heard our entry last month, and found it completely unremarkable. IMO that's business as usual really.

I always listen to a sample of every song, just in case something original and interesting has slipped through the cracks. I might even find a song to root for. I loved Austria's entry last year (still do). I also won't shy away from the fact that I prefer female singers.

----

Just two songs in, and I rather like Belgium's entry.

1 hour ago, LampPost said:

The voting is the most entertaining bit.

That's the only bit I watch.

I just finished sampling the lot, and Belgium's is the the only one I sort of like.

10 hours ago, crocodile said:

Is UK still even allowed to take part in EUROvision? ;)

Karol

Yes, according to an article I read the other day. After all, Israel is part of the Eurovision Song Contest - quite an oddity 'really", but it provided the world with gems such as Ole Ole, a song that initially drove me to the edge of insanity when I was staying in a hostel in Jerusalem near a square where a sort of charity 'flashmob' would play this about 6 times a day while dancing around in the square raising money for the disabled. It was one of those songs that became Stockholm syndrome, and I really grew to love my former torturer.

I then learned it was Israel's 1985 Euro entry.

https://youtu.be/j_a5Fn6VNiE

14 hours ago, Thor said:

ESC is what everbody hates, but everbody still watches. Pure camp through and through, which is why it has been embraced by the gay community.

I've not heard any of the songs this year, neither from Norway nor any other countries, but I'm sure I'll get invited to a ESC party. I just use it as an opportunity to get drunk and diss the quality of the songs, and the fact that an Eastern European country wins all the time, since all the countries over there vote for each other.

There's definitely a lot of neighbour voting going on. However, it's partly accounted for by separating close countries into different semi-finals. As for the grand final, you might get into the Top 10 just by having lots of neighbours, but you still need a good song to actually win the contest.

10 hours ago, Richard Penna said:

I heard our entry last month, and found it completely unremarkable. IMO that's business as usual really.

I always listen to a sample of every song, just in case something original and interesting has slipped through the cracks. I might even find a song to root for. I loved Austria's entry last year (still do). I also won't shy away from the fact that I prefer female singers.

----

Just two songs in, and I rather like Belgium's entry.

Yeah, Belgium has a good, modern song this year, and I am guessing it's getting to the Top 5. Another candidate is the UK entry. As Omen II mentioned, the singer has got a really remarkable voice.

9 hours ago, Thor said:

Will Australia be part of it this year as well, or was their inclusion last year just a "one-off"?

They have become part of the EBU, as far as I know, so their participation is long-term, unless they decide not to participate anymore.

It is when it comes to the ESC!

(incidentally, there are still several European countries that are not part of the EU; I live in one).

8 minutes ago, Stefancos said:

So Australia is part of the EU? With Israel?

There is no requirement to be in the EU, but you must be an active member of the European Broadcasting Union, which includes many more countries than EU.

640px-EBU_Member_Elliptic.svg.png

1 hour ago, Richard Penna said:

What does that map represent? I just Wiki'd the EBU and it definitely ain't that.

Member countries and associate countries. I got it from the EBU page, so it should be correct.

• 4 years later...