Odds of a 4K UHD LOTR trilogy release?

John

14 hours ago, Disco Stu said:

Also, at 31 discs if it doesn't have the appendices, I'm not buying.  What would even be on all those discs otherwise???

Well let's see. That's six films, with two versions each, on two formats each, with the LOTR EE's split across two discs each.

Nine discs for the Extended 4K's under the sky

Nine discs for the Extended Blu-Ray's in their halls of stone

Six discs for the Theatrical 4K's on their dark throne

Six discs for the Theatrical Blu-Ray's doomed to die

One disc for special features, where shadows lie

31 discs to rule them all, 31 discs to buy them

31 discs to play them all, and in a slipcase bind them.

6 hours ago, Nick1Ø66 said:

but given that the only versions I watch are the extended ones, and I have those on DVD, BD and UHD, I see no reason to upgrade.

I'll get the EE blus if they're released separately from this mess of bloat in an ugly package. I still only have the EE DVD box because of the Fellowship colour issue, but that should be fixed on new issues of the new master.

Woof

14 hours ago, Chen G. said:

The idea is that the existing special features can then be accessed freely via the digital code.

Well, that might be the idea, but it’s a shitty one!  For the most part, I’m all in on digital “ownership” - it’s my preferred way to buy movies these days, for the most part.  But I’m not onboard with digital being used to supplement the physical product.  Physical should have all the features!  People are certainly paying for it here.  There’s also the question of what value there is in having multiple formats here, and certainly some of those discs could have instead contained the special features instead…

Meh. Maybe the 25th anniversary will finally bring us deleted scenes, but will physical media be around then? Probably, but whether or not WB will still be in the game is another matter. Continues to be a case of them taking the cheap route with these releases, so unless something dramatically changes it doesn't bode well.

So on the regular release, if I remember correctly from my set, it took 2 discs per each 4K film of The Hobbit and 3 discs per each The Lord of the Rings film. So that would mean the only extras (with the possible exceptions of potential commentaries) will be available on the bonus disc only...in this unexciting packaging... for god know how much... Pfft. :lol:

Karol

It's worth noting that Wow HD has now deleted the product page

18 hours ago, Jay said:

Perhaps this is an indication that they were duped by fan art, and that isn't what the actual set will look like nor how many discs it will have.

Two new extras then. And nothing I need or want. Perfect! Looks like the bare set from last year was a good investment after all. I've got that and two Blu-ray old box set for each trilogy. That'll be enough for me.

Karol

The prices they're charging for this, especially considering it's largely a repackage, is outrageous. I mean, I've seen the 4K six film extended editions, including all the extras, on sale on iTunes for as little as £25. And if you don't have a 4K TV, it just streams as HD with the new master.

5 minutes ago, Nick1Ø66 said:

The prices they're charging for this, especially considering it's largely a repackage, is outrageous. I mean, I've seen the 4K six film extended editions, including all the extras, on sale on iTunes for as little as £25. And if you don't have a 4K TV, it just streams as HD with the new master.

Yeah, no matter how you slice it, it is not worth extra $100. If you want 4K discs just get the basic sets. Everything else is not worth the money.

Karol

So am I correct is saying that it looks like 30 of these discs are identical to what's already on the market, and only the 1 new disc contains anything new?

30 minutes ago, Jay said:

So am I correct is saying that it looks like 30 of these discs are identical to what's already on the market, and only the 1 new disc contains anything new?

The 4K's are already on the market, though the remastered BD's with the new colour grading aren't, but apparently there will be a separate release for those on the same date.

But basically, yeah, there's little new here except a couple of special features.

4 minutes ago, Jay said:

Yes. For $100 extra.

Karol

3 minutes ago, Nick1Ø66 said:

The 4K's are already on the market, but the remastered BD's with the new colour grading aren't, but apparently there will be a separate release for those on the same date.

Thanks!  And funnily enough THAT boxset includes the Appendices :lol:

3 minutes ago, Jay said:

Thanks!  And funnily enough THAT boxset includes the Appendices :lol:

Yes, and since they're all SD there is absolutely nothing to gain from this.

Cast reunions are usually boring and Cannes segment... I can watch the Cannes segment as it was meant to be experienced...As in within the actual film. :lol:

Unless, of course, this is some kind of featurette. Either way, I don't care. if you have the previously released EE DVDs or Blu-ray sets all you need is last year's 4K release.

Karol

Hmmmmm. It's interesting, in the Amazon listing for the Ultimate Edition it says the Blu-rays have been "newly remastered" for the 20th Anniversary of the release of FOTR, which is this year.

So I'm wondering if these are genuinely new remasters, done specifically for the Blu-Rays (which would be the proper way to do it) or if the Blu-Rays are simply down conversions from the existing 4K remasters that we got last year (which would be the lazy way to do it).

Screenshot (153).png

1 hour ago, crocodile said:

Cast reunions are usually boring and Cannes segment... I can watch the Cannes segment as it was meant to be experienced...As in within the actual film. :lol:

Psst, there is music in documentaries and video games that hint at cut footage from this sequence....

There's an article from back in the day describing it in its entirety that hints at cut footage appearing in it too.

Plus IIRC correctly it also had section with a sizzle reel of concept art and stuff, which mostly likely had some kind of music over top if it (Breaking of the Fellowship alt? 🙏)

Hell yea, can't wait to see that.

But someone will put it on youtube.  I don't need to buy a $250 box to own it when I don't even have a 4K player, and said box doesn't let me get rid of my prior versions anyway due to not included all previously released special features.

One mistake they've made is not taking what used to be spread over 6 DVD discs (the LOTR Appendices), and now putting them all on a single BD disc, which is very easy and straightforward to do.  Then do another BD disc with the Costa Boates doc and the theatrical DVD special features and they'd be all set.

But they didn't do that when the first BD editions came out and they're not doing it now.

I cannot believe they've neglected to include deleted scenes, yet again, after the fan outcry of not including any new bonus features on the Blurays all those years back. Fans have been screaming for those to be included in an "ultimate/deluxe" box set, and they've screwed the pooch again.

Didn't Jackson say they were taking their time to work on brand new bonus features just for this release? And it's literally just the Cannes reel (which already existed) and a bunch of marketing-fluff cast retrospectives? Yeesh.

Did they seriously need an entire extra year just for this??

Count me out.

Ah yes, a ring and chain is what everyone wanted.

From the image the booklet just looks like a random zero effort mess.

The collage is still really ugly.

All the discs seem to say "Theatrical version".

Art cards are meh, really far from the general art direction of the series and this set too.

Movie key art images are a weird assortment. Sting doesn't look like that yet when Hobbit takes place (it isn't even called Sting in that movie yet), Smaug's eye on DoS is from AUJ and the only living entity depicted in these, the fallen dwarf head is just a weird choice for BotFA, the leaf brooch isn't anywhere near iconic enough to represent FotR, Saruman's staff is the only thing, the Ring is just the Ring... we have here a weapon used across the 6 movies, a character, something belonging to a character, a key object, a really not key object, and a part of a scenery. ...why can't people design things well anymore?

I think I'd feel better about this if they didn't call it "Ultimate". What's wrong with just "Collector's Edition".  I mean, what is the next one called if this is the "Ultimate"!?

@Holko, you sir are a master complainer! Very enjoyable rant :lol:

12 minutes ago, Nick1Ø66 said:

@Holko, you sir are a master complainer! Very enjoyable rant :lol:

I definitely chose my title intentionally! Though I'd be the happiest of us all if I didn't have to flaunt this wonderful gift so often.

1 hour ago, Holko said:

the leaf brooch isn't anywhere near iconic enough to represent FotR,

Not idly do the leaves of Lorien fall.

2 hours ago, Holko said:

Movie key art images are a weird assortment. Sting doesn't look like that yes when Hobbit takes place (it isn't even called Sting in that movie yet), Smaug's eye on DoS is from AUJ and the only living entity depicted in these, the fallen dwarf head is just a weird choice for BotFA, the leaf brooch isn't anywhere near iconic enough to represent FotR, Saruman's staff is the only thing, the Ring is just the Ring... we have here a weapon used across the 6 movies, a character, something belonging to a character, a key object, a really not key object, and a part of a scenery. ...why can't people design things well anymore?

Hehe

image.png

These are odd choices at times

Not a fan of the collage on the box, but I think the individual covers are OK (if not thematically inconsistent). Though personally I'd have gone with Alan Lee/John Howe art for those.

1 hour ago, Disco Stu said:

That's only a spoiler if you already know the scene, which makes it not a spoiler at all.

The context clues still sort of make it a spoiler, its the last film, and if you have watched FOTR you already know they are intending to throw it in lava in Mount Doom

34 minutes ago, Grace Under Pressure said:

The context clues still sort of make it a spoiler, its the last film, and if you have watched FOTR you already know they are intending to throw it in lava in Mount Doom

I'm pretty sure it will be fine.