PLANET OF THE APES - Film Series 5CD box set from La-La Land Records (2019)

Jay

20 minutes ago, OneBuckFilms said:

I looked on the site, but he doesn't seem to have reviewed it at all.

It must have been taken down, possibly to avoid the wrath of @Yavar Moradi. :D Read this:

https://www.filmscoremonthly.com/board/posts.cfm?forumID=1&pageID=2&threadID=126880&archive=0

3 hours ago, Jurassic Shark said:

It must have been taken down, possibly to avoid the wrath of @Yavar Moradi. :D Read this:

https://www.filmscoremonthly.com/board/posts.cfm?forumID=1&pageID=2&threadID=126880&archive=0

I would be very surprised if Christian cared much about my opinion. I still am grateful to him for being my gateway into the world of film music online, even if I’ve long since left Filmtracks behind.

Yavar

Speaking of soundtrack reviewers, I’ve been really enjoying reading Craig Lysy’s golden age score reviews at Broxton’s site lately. They’re more listening guides, which is my preferred review format anyway.

• 2 weeks later...
On 02/12/2021 at 7:53 PM, OneBuckFilms said:

Interesting mistake at the pressing plant has led to my copy of this set to have, well... a different version of the first score... :)

I already contacted the guys at LLLR to ask for a replacement of the first disc, since they sent me a repressing of the Varese edition with a different front face.

All the other scores, booklets etc., arrived in perfect condition, and in great shape.

And they sound fantastic to my ears.

Ooops ...

apes error.jpg

Quick update on this little tale... the actual CD 1 is currently "out for delivery", and I'll be grabbing it after work when I go to the mailbox.

Once I have it ripped and in it's correct case, I'll be giving it a good listen through on headphones, as is tradition. :)

I'm thinking fairly soon I'll do a similar listening session for each of the 5 scores, reading the liner notes for each one as I go.

I read Jeff Bond's excellent notes for PotA, as well as the collection notes from Mike Matessino while listening to the first score.

It's been too long since I actually did this.

10 minutes ago, Jay said:

I still haven't checked out the other discs in the box!

But I've listened to the POTA remaster many times

You must at least check out Goldsmith’s sequel score; it’s wonderful in its own way. Brilliant reimagining for a very different story set on 1970s Earth.

Yavar

2 minutes ago, Jay said:

Oh I've heard Escape plenty via the suite on the last POTA expansion, just haven't heard the disc in this box

And I'm just saying you should! While over half the work, that suite still played as a mere suite, whereas the whole thing plays as a score!

Also, while I find Rosenman's score for Beneath almost unlistenable, I do enjoy his score for Battle... so check that out when you can too.

Yavar

• 5 weeks later...

I'd buy it for that much if shipping and customs didn't still push it back to even more expensive than it originally was.

• 1 year later...

Well I did it. Bit the bullet. Went through the entire set as an obligation to myself and of course read the notes for it too.

I really like how the package looks and feels, maybe apart from the last 2 being forced into one case. I think this is the best of Goldwasser's works that I've seen from him! The internals of the booklets especially remind me of Titus, the layout, the diverse and fitting font choices, title designs, good quality images with borders, the edge textures, it's just a very nice coherent package.

I think I enjoyed the first one even more than I ever did this time. Just fucking phenomenal music. Every cue has something interesting going on, it keeps you engaged throughout, there are melodic bits to pick up on, there are tons of diverse textures, there's passion and a dry fun and humor dripping from the whole thing. The liner notes are very good and point out interesting things. While listening I was immediately thinking how glad I am that I finally bought the set.

Beneath... it exists. Some tolerable stuff in there, but it mostly just annoys or bores me.

Escape is fun, only held back by its length and the quality of the source, that's what brought it down a bit on this listen, thinking that surely today it could be done just that tiny bit better with Malone wizardry.

I love Conquest. Again a coherent score with tons of interesting textures, a dry humor and motivic throughlines. By this time I was really annoyed that the liner notes were treating all scores as if they were separate releases and reintroduced all the previous scores at the start of all of them.

Battle is OK. Despite its length it felt way too long to me, but I could get something listenable out of a combination of it and some Beneath cues I think.

Oh, and I bought from Intermezzo and got the weird batch that had the old Varese CD in 1's case! Thankfully it came with 2 of the LLL disc 1s rubberbanded to the set.

16 minutes ago, Holko said:

I think I enjoyed the first one even more than I ever did this time. Just fucking phenomenal music. Every cue has something interesting going on, it keeps you engaged throughout, there are melodic bits to pick up on, there are tons of diverse textures, there's passion and a dry fun and humor dripping from the whole thing.

I agree 100%

18 minutes ago, Holko said:

Oh, and I bought from Intermezzo and got the weird batch that had the old Varese CD in 1's case! Thankfully it came with 2 of the LLL disc 1s rubberbanded to the set.

Two?  Why two?

6 minutes ago, Jay said:

Two?  Why two?

Very good question! Maybe as a safety redundancy, if the outer one breaks in shipping I'd still have the inner one? :D

Haha!  Maybe.

I enjoyed reading your thoughts about the set.  While I have listened to the new edition of the first score many times now, I still have yet to dig into the other scores!!  Some day.