Lyrics You've Written to JW Themes

igger6

Going all the way back to "Star Wars / If they should bar wars / Please let those Star Wars / Stay" and further, there's a vibrant tradition of putting stupid lyrics to film-music melodies, and I'm here to say I definitely do it, especially when I'm trying to distinguish among themes in a new score.  Presented without comment, then—except, perhaps, with apologies to Leslie Bricusse—are my official lyrics to several recent JW themes, along with a few bonus tracks from Henry Jackman.

Rey's Theme (inspired by the TFA TV spots): "Whoooo are youuuu?  I'm no oooone!  Waaaaiting I knooow abooouuut..."

Luke in Exile (inspired by Mark Hamill's hostage-video tweet the day after Christmas about regretting voicing his creative differences with Rian Johnson): "Differences!  There were differences!  Oh, what differences!  Such creative ones!"

Trio Theme: "Heeeeere comes the triiiiiiio!  These guys plus Three-PEEEEEEE-O!"

Rise of Skywalker Theme: "Tiiiiime to rise and Skyyyy the Waaaalker..."

This all started, I think when my brother and I were doing a Harry Potter rewatch several years ago and discovered the Peter Pettigrew harpsichord motif, which we of course defined as "Peter, Peter, Peter Pettigrew!"  As film-music motifs have grown shorter and simpler over the years, it's gotten easier.  For some reason, I found myself doing it with the "one-sentence" motifs in Captain America: Civil War, too:

Civil War Theme: "Leeeet's have a waaaar!  Biiiiiiig civil waaaar!"

Zemo's Motif: "Baron Zemo has a theme!"

Black Panther Motif: "Iiiiiiiiit's theeeeeee Blackpantherrrrr!"

I can't be the only one who does this.  Anybody else wanna share?

On 11/21/2018 at 3:21 PM, Jay said:

When I was a kid I wrote my own lyrics to various SW themes in my head so I could better know what theme was playing when

Leia's theme was "Prin-cess, Leia's really nice.... prin CESS, Lei-a's really nice"

H&L's Love theme was "I love you, oh yes I do, I love you, I really dooooo-oooo"

The Force was "The FORCE, IS, really SPECial, The force, surrounds and bi-yi-yinds us"

The main theme / Luke's theme was "Luke, Sky, Lu-uke Sky WALKer, Lu-uke SkyWALKer, he's kickin' ass"

Never done this, and have no intention to. But I'm reminded of the Bill Murray skit "STAR WARS! NOTHING BUT STAR WARS!" or the fact that the SUPERMAN theme seems to spell out "Da-da-da-da-da! SU-PER-MAN!". 

The 50s Superman TV show used this rhythm in its theme:

Dotted eighth, sixteenth, and half. “Superman.” I think it was used even earlier, in radio or cartoons. 

Though there it was ascending, Williams uses it in a descending motif.

• 2 months later...