The best and worst film compositions for 2003 (so far)!

hitman20

*My best has to go John Ottman's score for the X2 movie. His theme for X2 is far better than Micheal Maken's, but Mikes is still up there.

*My worst has to be from Bulletproof Monk. It really didnt excite me. But then again, the movie really didnt make money.

*Honorable mention goes to Don Davis' score for the Matrix Reloaded.

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So far, my favorite cue is from Brian Tyler's score to The Hunted. The track titles say it all "Asymmetric Rhythms & Disordered Patterns" Beauty!

Runner-up is "'Mona Lisa,' 'Burly Brawl' and the un-used 'Chateau Swashbuckling" from The Matrix Reloaded.

Worst... anything from The Life of David Gale.

-Erik-

from those I've heard I must say Ottman really impressed me with his X2 score, I was a bit surprised to find him that far down on the most sought after composer list. Davis's Matrix score was good apart from it was way too much techno in it.

Hmm... that sums up the movies I've seen this year :)

"Finding Nemo" had moments. "Matrix Reloaded" had moments.

That's about it. Nothing else has stood out for me, and I don't see any potential in the coming months.

Jeff -- afraid of a very dry film score year

Hmmmm...I love John Ottman's X2 score so it is the best in my opinion, very good score.

worst, i would have to say "Hero" a chinese movie that came out late in taiwan. It was nominated for best forign film at the oscars and i thought it was an ok movie, but the score was not even really cued. The action music was no different then the sad music and there were very few instruments used. Very dull and a lot of the time, there actually was no music.

* Best:

Catch Me If You Can - John Williams

The Hours - Philp Glass

Solaris - Cliff Martinez

Worst:

Punch-Drunk Love - Jon Brion(?). Man this score annoyed the hell out of me!!! It was so frustrating, intrusive and inappropriate! Grrr :)

* Based largely on the score as heard in the film. I own none of these soundtracks. Also all movies mentioned here received their Australian cinematic release in 2003 (even though they were all actually made in 2002. So maybe it has been a bad year for good film scores;)).

CYPHER

No definite records here, sorry.

I haven't bought any 2003's score so far. I'm trying to avoid buying new soundtracks as much as I can resist. This is the rare opportunity with Williams on lull for filling gaps in my collection.

People say Gods and Generals is good. I'm yet to hear it.

People say Matrix Reloaded is even better than the prequel. I didn't like the prequel score and songs. I might get angrier about Reloaded then. But I'm yet to hear it.

Marian - short on cash.

If it tells the same as "low on money", then you have a new allied soul in me. :-)

Man this is gonna be tough!!!

Thus far this has been one of the shittiest years for musical scores EVER!

Ummmmmm .....................

Best? Nothing!

Worst? Nearly everything!

Seriously just about everything released has been mediocre or sucked altogether. Have any of you folks heard Danny Elfman's TOTALLY UNINSPIRED Hulk score? BLEH! :)

I was disappointed at the Matrix Reloaded score.

Though I still Like the strings and brass doing that cool sound, the whole reliance on techno and rave music could have been replaced by a well composed score.

Other than that, nothing sticks out as bad or good; kinda a mediocre year so far. ;)

Other than that, nothing sticks out as bad or good; kinda a mediocre year so far.  ;)

Isn't it a bit paradoxical? Other guys in biz are aware that Williams has taken a year off of scoring, so supposedly chances to grab an Oscar nomination are a little higher than usually. I'd thus expect James Horner and others to rev their talents up immensely, but nothing too striking so far... Is John Williams this only Michael Schumacher of film scoring because of whom it's worth working hard and sweating blood?

:nono:

Children of Dune was good, so is Finding Nemo. Not much else worth talking about. Ottman's score for X-Men 2 worked great in the movie, but his theme is a bit irritating. Certainly it's no batman theme or superman march.

Have any of you folks heard Danny Elfman's TOTALLY UNINSPIRED Hulk score? BLEH!  

Is Danny Elfman's score really that bad? Damn. Where did you hear it at? I gotta hear this for myself. What is it with him lately? His spiderman score wasn't that great, and so I have to begin to wonder what happened to the days where he made quality superhero scores like Batman.

People say Matrix Reloaded is even better than the prequel. I didn't like the prequel score and songs. I might get angrier about Reloaded then. But I'm yet to hear it.  

Its pretty good, I've heard better, but its one of the best this year, and its pretty good work for Don Davis. I was suprised, but if you wanna hear some of the soundtrack, go to the Matrix website. You can hear most of the soundtrack there.

Best Score so far this year is Marc Shaiman's Down With Love.

Finding Nemo is second place in my book with X2 not far behind.

Randy Newman's Seabiscuit, Shaiman's Cat In The Hat, and Horner's upcoming scores are gonna be great as well.

;) Director - dropping by to see how things are going...

But a few others seem to think it's important that you are here.  

Like me. It's great to see you post here again, Dan, no matter how briefly. ;)

Ray Barnsbury

Seriously just about everything released has been mediocre or sucked altogether. Have any of you folks heard Danny Elfman's TOTALLY UNINSPIRED Hulk score? BLEH!

Have you heard the whole score or are you just basing your entire opinion of the score on five, 30 second clips?

Justin -Who finds the idea of thinking a score sucks after listening to 2 1/2 minutes of music is very....Rouge Leaderish. ;)

You can hear Danny Elfman's Hulk Score online at several sites. Kazaa also has several tracks floating around on it.

Its not really worth the search though.

The score sucks IMO.

Best score this year...hard to say, so far there was no score which really impressed me.

Worst score...i somehow really disliked the score for My Big Fat Greek Wedding, don´t know why...

Best score this year...hard to say, so far there was no score which really impressed me.

Worst score...i somehow really disliked the score for My Big Fat Greek Wedding, don´t know why...

My Big Fat Greek Wedding was last year.

I like the Greek Wedding score. The music that is obviously Greek influenced is nice, and there is some more general, pleasant music as well.

Ray Barnsbury-who thought it worked well in the film

My Big Fat Greek Wedding was last year.

Depends on the country you´re living in. ;) Here in Austria it came to theatres at the very beginning of 2003.

Well, to me it simply didn´t fit and it irritated me a few times...

• 2 weeks later...

Darkness Falls is the best score of the year so far.

As for new scores this year, I have thus far only listened to Sinbad, Legend of the Seven Seas by Harry Gregson-Williams, which, I must say, is an absolutely fantastic score!

~Harry, who will defend CutThroat Island at all costs ROTFLMAO