Would you have liked them?

HPFAN

The films i mean like Star Wars, Jurassic Park, Indiana Jones, Jaws if Williams didn't score them.

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thats a question that really can't be answered, because they all were.

Music makes a film and music can brake it.

Difficult to tell, but surely the music used for these films has made all these movies

Difficult to tell, but surely the music used for these films has made all these movies

I disagree with that. Some of the most powerful films I have ever seen had no musical score, others had VERy minimal use of music. I'm not denying music's role in certain films, it has a very big role, but I do not think it can "make or break" a movie. Music enhances a film, that is its job. Any movie that is no longer good after it has been stripped of its music isn't a very good film to begin with.

Ted

I'm not sure music alone can make a movie. It can certainly break it though, or help to sell it (so it can make it at least from a financial point of view).

In most cases, it enhances (or diminishes) the movie. In the case of the mentioned movies, I'd say the scores enhanced them a lot.

In the case of the mentioned movies, I'd say the scores enhanced them a lot.

Yeah, and in some sequels (or better: prequels) the music is the only thing that really has the quality of the original :music:

Music can seriously damage but not quite break a movie, it can't easily make a movie, rather enhance it, although at rare times it can come close to making a weak movie a very good experience. In these movies you list, it makes something great even better. But they are of such strength that I doubt a weak score or lack of score would make them a weak movie.

However, I think that I'd enjoy these movies almost as much or as much if for example someone else like Goldsmith scored them. And still like them quite a lot if someone crappy scored them.

I disagree with that. Some of the most powerful films I have ever seen had no musical score, others had VERy minimal use of music. I'm not denying music's role in certain films, it has a very big role, but I do not think it can "make or break" a movie. Music enhances a film, that is its job. Any movie that is no longer good after it has been stripped of its music isn't a very good film to begin with.

Ted

Well we have a different opion on that one. I have to agree that there are some good films which dont' contain any musical score. Music would not be appropriate in those movies. But when there is a musical score. Music can hav such a influence on that movie that it raises the movie to another level. Can you imagine a horror scene with no music or a happy tune. I completely "brakes" the movie. Although it has been filmed in such brilliant way The music threw all the efforts in the wastebasket.

Music is a keyfactor in a movie

Thats a question that really can't be answered, because they all were.

That's the best answer we will find in this thread.

Well that is not really an answer.

The man wanted opinions based on a HYPOTHETICAL scenario.

. Can you imagine a horror scene with no music or a happy tune. It completely "brakes" the movie.

What's that movie with those youngsters filming themselves on video deep in the woods. This movie didn't have any music, I think. While millions were scared, it left me cold, but for other reasons, which I won't go into.

The first 25 min. of Saving Private Ryan is always a fine example of how affective a scene can be without music. Also, some of the best action scenes don't use any music. Sometimes the sound of footsteps, heavy breathing, burning tires, screeching wood, etc, can do a better job then any composer. It's certainly more realisic. When used sparse music becomes much more affective. It work perfectly in Schindler's List.

----------------

Alex Cremers

Music is a keyfactor in a movie

I agree with you, but I do not think that it can make or break a movie. Believe me, Jango, I believe that (generally speaking) music is an absolute essential element to movies. I'm not Roger Ebert, but I have writte movie reviews for several years and one of my trademarks as a movie reviewers is my theory on the importance of musical scores.

You can just as easily say that film editing, cinematography, acting, direction and set design can just as easily make or break a movie as you say about music. The beauty of movies is all of these elements coming together to form a whole, each of them complementing each other.

Ted

I can't imagine Spielberg's movies or the SW movies without the music.At least to me the music was always more important than the films.

Just take the finale from E.T.,and turn off the sound(it has almost no dialogue or sound effects anyway),do you still think it's any good?

K.M.

I can't imagine Spielberg's movies or the SW movies without the music.At least to me the music was always more important than the films.

Just take the finale from E.T.,and turn off the sound(it has almost no dialogue or sound effects anyway),do you still think it's any good?

K.M.

So are you trying to say that a film can only be as good as its music? That movies exist for their musical scores? And as for that scene from E.T., it's hard to tell. I only know it with music, with that music. But sometimes the most compelling drama requires no dialogue or music. I think E.T. is a brilliantly constructed film in every conceivable way. By nature, the film is very operatic and called for a huge, sweeping, and dramatic score. To say that it's nothing without it music is kind of short-sighted I think. The music is one of the many elements that makes the film the terrific one that it is.

Ted, who thinks that the E.T. score contains some of the best music ever written

. Can you imagine a horror scene with no music or a happy tune. It completely "brakes" the movie.

What's that movie with those youngsters filming themselves on video deep in the woods. This movie didn't have any music, I think. While millions were scared, it left me cold, but for other reasons, which I won't go into.

That was The Blair Witch Project of course. And it left me pukey more than anything else. However when I watched it on tellie just recently the vomit factor was practically neglible and I actually found it quite effective ;) . And of course if you want definitive proof that a horror film can succeed magnificently without a musical score one need look no further than The Exorcist - a masterpiece of sound.

CYPHER - who does not intend for this post to be a distraction from the key issues of this thread. He simply chooses not to engage with these concerns at the moment on the grounds that it might prove very frustrating :)

Distracting from the key issues anyway ;) ....I found Blair Witch Project very effective and frightening. As for Exorcist, that still leaves me rather cold, but it does have some music: Mike Oldfield's Tubular Bells. Also, Lalo Schifrin wrote an original score which was never used.

Damn, if I sat in a plane next to Marian our conversation would have ended before it even started. And we're both William fans! The Exorcist is amazing. I saw it, I dunno, 15 years after its initial release in the theater and I was filled with prejudice. This is old. This will not work. This is the old skool horror where everything looks phony. But nope, it wasn't like that at all. Me and my friend were pretty much scared to death. Even hours after we saw the movie we didn't feel comfortable. And you know, we thought we've seen a horror flick or two, so what's this old relique going to show us what we haven't seen before. I not sure it has any depth other then being scary but, in its genre, I rank it very high.

I remember that Oldfield's music is only used in calm streetscenes, or something, and not during the terror.

----------------

Alex Cremers

True, I don't remember much music in the movie as a whole either. Still, I'd love to find it scary, but for some reason I just don't do. And I don't think it has to do with its age. I remember liking the original The Haunting a lot, though I wasn't overly impressed when I re-watched it a week ago or so - but that might have been because this time it was the German dub. Anyway, I love Polanski's Repulsion, was terrified by his Rosemarie's Baby and consider The Tenant one of the scariest films I've ever seen (nearly got a heart attack at the end).

Marian - who is sure we would find enough to talk about. :)

;) Pirates (Philippe Sarde)

Star Wars would have never been the favorite like it is today if it wasn't for JW's score. The opening title just set the tone for the entire movie. You knew this was a BIG film and different.

Superman was a great film, but the title theme just screamed Superman, literally.

I don't think anyone else could have done it as well as JW.

....I found Blair Witch Project very effective and frightening

these are words that will never be uttered by me.

Blair Witch was a total waste of film. Horrible in every way a film could be. Terrible acting. Terrible production. Horrible script. It was so imaginatve, that one suspects the writer/s said lets say fuck as many times as we can.

Were was the terror, where was the horror. Oh wait those things come about when you have even the slightest bit of care as to whats going on up on the screen. The biggest horror for me was that I wasted precious moments of my life on this trash. It stands as the only film I have ever walked out on. I finally saw the ending when I was in Dallas a few years ago, and to my further horror, upon seeing the ending, is that it was open ended.

One last thing, the biggest terror of Blair Witch is that they produced a soundtrack to the Blair Witch? Music inspired by...

Entrepenuers not in their finest moments.

Joe, trying(but failing) to hold his tongue on child rapist/director Polanski. Hollywood you should be ashamed to honor him.

I'll be honest and say while I would still like certain films such as Star Wars, Jaws, Towering Inferno, Raiders, Jurassic Park and E.T. I probably wouldn't like them as much because the music played a large part in drawing me to those films.

I think I would take the same attitude toward the smaller films he has scored like Stepmom or Stanley & Iris, that I do now. I'm in no big hurry to see them but if they are on T.V. I might watch them.

Then there are some films I wouldn't watch at all. If Williams wasn't involved with Harry Potter I would have never seen either film. Earthquake, JFK, and Nixon fall into this category.

Then there are films that I would probably watch regardless of who did the score, like Presumed Innocent, Born On The 4th Of July, Dracula, or Schindlers List

Thanks Mark Olivarez now can the rest of you can we please get back on track!!!!!! :)

I agree, Joe, about The Blair Witch Project. I stumbled onto it on TV a while ago, and kept laughing because I thought it was a parody of the movie until I realized it was the real thing. Pretty bad.

Ray Barnsbury

So are you trying to say that a film can only be as good as its music? That movies exist for their musical scores? And as for that scene from E.T., it's hard to tell. I only know it with music, with that music. But sometimes the most compelling drama requires no dialogue or music. I think E.T. is a brilliantly constructed film in every conceivable way. By nature, the film is very operatic and called for a huge, sweeping, and dramatic score. To say that it's nothing without it music is kind of short-sighted I think. The music is one of the many elements that makes the film the terrific one that it is.  

Is it fair to say that the director strongly relies on music in that movie?

Terrible acting. Terrible production. Horrible script. It was so imaginatve, that one suspects the writer/s said lets say fuck as many times as we can.  

Just like real life. :) That was the point.

Morn - Who won't say much on horror movies, considering that they always fail to scare me.