The Hulk - BORING

UCFKevin

The first half of this movie is incredibly slow, tedious and quite boring.

Whether it's a movie directed by Mr. Acclaimed Director Ang Lee or not, a comic book movie should NOT BE BORING.

It picks up in the second half, luckily, and when the Hulk hulks out, it's pretty entertaining, ESPECIALLY when all those choppers and jets are trying to take him out, but gets a little nutty at the end of the flick.

Frankly, I think it just took itself way too seriously. There is barely a lighthearted moment in the movie.

The only good chemistry there was was between Betty and her father. I didn't believe for a second that Bruce and Betty had any feelings for each other at all. Nick Nolte steals the show, surprisingly, which isnt' saying he was AWESOME, but he just kinda rose above the rest of the characters, I guess.

The CGI isn't that great but it's not horrible. They couldn't have done what they wanted to do, make the Hulk totally realistic, I just don't think it's possible right now, but a LOT of moments were extremely cringeworthy and Shrek reminscent.

And the score....... What score? Danny Elfman needs to be divorced from comic book movies from here on out. What a completely lackluster barely there score. Even SPIDERMAN was better than this.

I never had any interest in the Hulk whatsoever and I still don't. Sadly, I think my apathy for the character seeped into my opinion of the movie. I'd give this flick a solid, "Eh............"

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It's not a very good movie. I did think the Hulk was pretty convincing though and found him far more interesting than Eric Bana as Bruce Banner.

Neil

I also saw the Hulk last night. I completely agree with your sentiments, Neil. One of the absolute worst things IMO is how they tried to map Ang's expressions and use them for Hulk. Just doesn't look right.

Previous to reading this thread, I was in a bad mood. When I saw Neil's topic, I was about ready to Hulk out myself! I expected to see opinions as shallow as the thread name (No offense Neil). The movie had its moments, though, and the score was cool in some parts (I liked the desert base montage for 'Captured'). Thank you for writing a thoughtful, intelligent review, Neil. :wave...PUNY HUMAN :folder:

P.S. (what the heck was Talbot thinking when he said, 'When Stupid Ideas Happen to Smart, Penniless Scientits)

:cry: No fair! We don't get The Hulk until this coming Thursday, even though it stars "Australia's Own" Eric Bana :folder:.

CYPHER

Thank you for writing a thoughtful, intelligent review, Neil.

I think you mean Kevin. His review was much more intelligent than my 2 sentences. :sigh:

Neil

THanks, Neil.

As good as Supes and Batman, tpigeon? Holy CRAP. Is it because it's an Ang Lee flick or did you legitimately love the flick on it's own merits?

Man alive.....I'm beginning to think I saw a completely different movie. At least Neil agreed with me, though.

As good as Supes and Batman, tpigeon? Holy CRAP. Is it because it's an Ang Lee flick or did you legitimately love the flick on it's own merits?

I'm not saying that because its an Ang Lee movie, I just thought it was a very well done movie that was both dramatic and action packed. Personally, I was not a fan of Spiderman and I thought Daredevil was absolutely awful. I liked the first X-Men and the second one was a good flick too, but I wouldn't say they're in the league of Batman or Superman, despite being good. I just felt that the Hulk had real drama and was really about something. The film involved me throughout, even though the first twenty minutes or so weren't great. And I loved the assortment of interesting characters - Sam Elliot was wonderful as General Ross andNick Nolte and Jennifer Connelly delivered good performances as well, far beyond most ""superhero" movies acting. I also loved the tragic aspect of Bruce Banner/The Hulk's character. I thought that Lee captured that beautifully, which leadsd me to the CGI, which was outstanding. It worked for actions scenes and quiet scenes, like after the scene with the dogs and Betty sees him as the Hulk for the first time. I honestly found it very moving. From a dramatic standpoint, I thought the film has a lot more to offer than most movies of these type. That's my mini-review.

Ted

What did you expect of yet another comic book movie

After x-men, spiderman, dare devil, x-men 2 and so on the Hulk is yet another in that line. Everybody knows the secret know!! Now you get very easily bored.

So filmmakers please .....

Stop making them :sigh:

(for now)

I guess I'm in the minority of folks who really like the film. I was an avid reader of the comic book growing up which might have helped my enjoyment since Ang Lee was very faithful the the spirit of the Hulk and his mannerisms. I was more than pleasantly surprised at how he elevated the film past the standard cheesy one liner cardboard character comic film and imbued some emotional depth and resonance to his film. I'm also one of those rare folks who think that every Batman film has been a load of s**t. They never captured the true essence of that character- if they had all of the films would have been R rated since the guy is a vigilante. Anyhow, I agree that the father-son undetrpinnings of the Hulk go as far back as Superman in terms of serious drama- there's nothing in between.

To be sure, the film does have a few flaws- it's unevenly paced in places and some character motivations seem a little thin (Glen Talbot gives new meaning to the term archetypal villain, although I loved how they treated him in that "you know" scene- for those who have seen the film you'll know what I'm talking about). Also, Ang Lee crafted a very thoughtful, reflective piece but it sometimes is at odds with the comic style framing edits and wipes. I thought that the style was quite effective in most places but did get in the way in other places.

Musically, I much prefer Elfman's HULK to Spiderman. As he did in his earlier scores, Elfman is working more motivically than thematically. The six note descending motif is very memorable in its simplicity, yet lends a real dramatic cohesion to the film and omigod, does he really build on it as the film progresses to its climax? YES! Think about the last time a composer saved up his/reserves for the ending of a film as opposed to getting over-the-top during every scene. It's rare. Williams can still do it but he's a god so there. The middle-Eastern segments of the music actually provided a nice contrast to Elfman's more frenetic action music and were a pleasant surprise. It was also nice to hear him use flutes as a primary focal point in the score- just the opposite of what one would expect for a film about a 15 foot raging behemoth. I've seen the film twice already and have been listening to the score repeatedly for a couple days. Seriously folks, it's a good score. Some may argue it doesn't work as well on its own as in the context of the film and I'll agree with that partly. But remember that Elfman came in at the 11th hour and had to compose a lot of music. Given that, I think he did a remarkable job. And I wouldn't say that I'm a huge fan of his so I have a pretty unbiased opinion of the score.

I think that Ang Lee made the Hulk for fans of this specific comic book character rather than watering him down for mass consumption. Obviously the film will seem uninteresting to some and will appeal to others immensely. fans of the comic seem to like the film quite a bit as I did. When one strips away all of the CGI effects and action, there is some nice sub-text there about the relationship between parents and children and the legacy the pass on. I loved X-Men 2 for what it was but I don't think it's anywhere near as profound as the Hulk. I think that this film, like Spielberg's A.I. years back, will find a specific audience and will not be a huge grossing film. Part of me hopes for that since I'm not interested in seeing someone like Joel Schumaker screw up and otherwise mar a perfectly good character with a dumb-ass sequel.

I think that this film, like Spielberg's A.I. years back, will find a specific audience and will not be a huge grossing film.  

I take that to mean small, or do you mean intellectually superior audience?

I'm just saying that Ang Lee crafted a film that has a real emotional depth. At least it affected me that way. And I think it's a combination of high art and pop culture, a mix that can and obviously has alienated some viewers. I feel bad for those who weren't entertained and/or moved by his version of the Hulk. But, like all art, people take from it what the want. Maybe I'm reading into it more than Lee put in. I doubt it though since most of the staples of his other films are present- disfunctional families, emotionally repressed characters, etc.

I will say that I get suspicious of anyone who proclaims a movie such as this "boring". But then again, this film was marketed to those weened on MTV paced films and not those of us who prefer a little more back story to our films than the usual 5 minute expository scene followed by the 105 minutes of innane and noisy action set pieces.

I think he means smaller. Some films may be trully great to some and crap to the majority,at least when they are released. Some of these films eventually gain cult classic status. Very few popular films are cult movies.

But then again, I'm not sure what a cult movie really is.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The night sequences were a little hard to make out though, including the battle with the Hulk dogs.

Especially when Hulk fought his dad, AKA the Absorbing Man. I think Banner Sr. says 'I should have killed you!' way more than any parent should, though.

That's true too. But amidst all that, there is that haunting image of the father (a flashback) kissing Bruce as a 4 year old on the forehead and saying "sweet dreams". Thought that made up for the confusing visual climax.

I think that this film, like Spielberg's A.I. years back, will find a specific audience and will not be a huge grossing film.  

I take that to mean small, or do you mean intellectually superior audience?

Relax Joe, I think he never meant intellect. Actually, intellect has little to do with one liking a movie -- it's all about sensitivity, and how and to what are you sensitive.

So you didn't like A.I., so what? It just means that robots chasing their mothers isn't your thing. So I didn't like Superman - The Movie, so what? It just means that the '70s aren't something to which I relate to. So Fiery Angel liked the Hulk, so what? It just means that a big green explosion of anger is something in his line.

Sensitivity is something to be felt, and since there's no way to adapt feelings to facts, there's no univeral right or wrong on liking certain movies.

Saw it this afternoon and oh my,what a drawn out affair. :sigh: Mind you I *tried* to "get into it".And I was all hyped up after the Montreal Gazette movie critic gave it ****1/2( :?).

good editing and cinematography.

K.M.Who saw a preview for the re-release of Hook.

Actually, intellect has little to do with one liking a movie -- it's all about sensitivity, and how and to what are you sensitive.

Intellect is important too. The more movies one sees, the more intellectual he will become about movies, but only if this person is intellectual.

----------------

Alex Cremers

I thought the Hulk was a great movie. Unlike many of the other superhero movies out there, this movie illustrated the story of a person's tragic life, more than one of a hero. The Hulk is one of those complicated heroes with a conflicting past and he's never really wanted so he can never really find a home, unlike Batman or Superman. This movie did use a lot of retrospect, but it was only to make the storyline more clear, which did help a lot. I felt sorry for the Hulk. I almost expected Eminem to come out and do a song about it. lol. I'm messing around here. But honestly, I'd have to say this is one of the best films this year (so far). I also felt that Danny Elfman's score was highly effective in all of its simplicity. It wasn't over bearing as to have fanfare or some type of heroic music that wasn't suitable for the type of film it was. I actually enjoy the score, in that it has more of an ominous, dark tone to it, creating the feeling of change or intrigue for what's to come. I do feel that the theme to this movie will be remembered, and may even be used for the Hulks ride down at Universal. Anyway, in short, it's a great film, but it's qualities are highly underestimated.

Intellect is important too. The more movies one sees,  the more intellectual he will become about movies, but only if this person is intellectual.

I never said it wasn't. All I'm saying is that it's not a key factor.

I haven't had a chance to see the film yet, had to take my wife to the Matchbox 20 concert in Dallas this weekend, so I'll reserve my comments until after I see the movie. But I was watching a special on The Sci-Fi channel and I was suprised to see that Ang Lee himself wore the motion capture suit to provide all the movements and facial expressions of the Hulk for ILM to use.

Here is an improved version of my quote:

The more movies one sees, the more intellectual one will become about it, but only if this person is intelligent.

Chips, it's better but not perfect. I guess I'm not intelligent enough to write a brilliant everlasting quote. Help me, Obi Wan Kenobi, you are my only hope.

----------------

Alex Cremers

K.M.Who saw a preview for the re-release of Hook.

Really? What did it say?

Could this be a great occasion to release the complete score officially :sigh:

oh,sorry,it was the preview for Peter Pan.But I thought it was Hook for the first 30 seconds.

K.M.

What??????? You guys think The Hulk was better than X2????????? What inane person would think that? Inteligence does not seem to run in our little family here......

well the Hulk had its one week atop the boxoffice, so big green stupid guy, either get out of the way, or suffer the consequences, cause Charlie"s Angels are about to knock you off your perch.

I went into the Hulk movie with no particular love of the character, and came out entertained and fulfilled. From a filmmaking standpoint it was interesting. And even though Hulk's effects were fake, they at least used animation to make more happen than Gollum did. Gollum was near perfect, but he didn't hang on to an airplane that went into space. Now that's entertainment. And how about the part when a character explodes, but is first paused and outlined in white while the fire engulfs him. It was very funny. ROTFLMAO

What??????? You guys think The Hulk was better than X2?????????  What inane person would think that?  Inteligence does not seem to run in our little family here......

WHat an arrogant comment! Both films are equally well made and as such are open to personal preference. It has nothing to do with intelligence. For me, X2 is more viscerally exciting but I loved Hulk because of its meditative, symbolic look at a comic character. I find the action sequences and story in X2 a little more coherent but I'll take the Hulk for its artistic merits over X2 any day of the week. Luckily, I don't have to chose between the two. I've seen both films twice and will buy both on DVD when they are released.

Ocelot, you really shouldn't lower yourself with proclamations such as the one you made. All they do is incite others to respond defensively. But that's just a friendly suggestion.

* it might contain spoilers *

I just saw The Hulk yesterday. Before doing so, I was an advocate against another superhero movie, and was never interested in Hulk in particular. Now, I'm not quite so.

The first half of the movie was indeed, slow, but I loved the development of the father/son relationship. What Bruce Banner was trying to forget about his past was quite predictable, so there wasn't for me any surprise later, but still the character of the father and how he loved his child and harm him at the same time was interesting.

The long introduction built the background that allowed me to enjoy the rage of the Hulk when he transformed in the second part. Being a big critic of the CGI of the trailer, I should say that I had to take out my hat in scenes like the battle against the tanks, which I enjoyed so much, and Hulk's wet eyes when he saw the girl approaching in San Francisco. I have to admit that impervious Charles wet his eyes too for a moment at that CGI acting. Overall, CGI action sequences where more convincing, more powerful and less distracting than, say, Matrix Reloaded.

The ending was however, cinematically and visually dissappoining. The final passionate father monologue was a little bit overacted. The battle between father and son is one of those that would be awesome to read in a book, but very difficult to convey in a movie. The duel of titans was abstract and the CGI was dark and confusing. You could only guess that they tried to make a huge cataclismic event, but the effort didn't impress anybody and I watched the scene cold and indiferent.

As for directing style, well, you should all know by know that Ang Lee used transitions and composite picture-in-picture style reminiscent of a comic book. Although I welcomed these in scenes where many things were going on, in which they helped adding pace and tension and supported the storytelling, I hated some overuse of them in casual scenes of dubious importance.

As for the music. It works in conveying the primitive power of the character. However, Elfman seems to be trying to compete with Horner in self-plagiarism. Too many parts seemed identical to Planet of Apes, Spiderman and Red Dragon. He only added the 'arabian' voice to the elements already explored in his other movies.

And how about the part when a character explodes, but is first paused and outlined in white while the fire engulfs him. It was very funny.  

I thought that comic freeze-frame was corny, though, and got annoyed when the audience laughed. Some of the comic book page edits were awkward too, like when it segued into Bruce's mother in labor. And they used way too many split-screens during conversations. But I liked when Betty says, 'Two words. The door.'

Fiery Angel,

I said that comment for a couple of people on here who know that I sometimes think that I myself am not quite as inteligent as something lying dormant at the bottom of a pond.... It was a complete joke :angry: It doesn't matter if someone thought Episode 1 to be better written than All about Eve. That's their opinion... Sorry if I misled you to thinking that I was being serious.

Although I do have to say that X Men United is a far superior film and anyone who thought otherwise is a not inteligent!!!!

I know I know, I just had to :wave:

Would all the stupid people please stand up now...

And yes, I am quite arrogant sometimes, but that's what hapens when one watches too much Dynasty.

"You are all fired!!!" said Wael Morell Carrington Colby Dexter

Well I found this film to be quite an admirable effort. The attention to character was very impressive, though hardly a surprise coming from Ang Lee and James Schamus. So many of the relationships between the characters were beautifully constructed and yet I found much of it distinctly unemotional as well. That may have a lot to do with the twenty-odd 3-6 years olds who had occupied the back of the cinema during the session I saw and proceeded to talk, cry, scream and be incredibly distracting throughout the screening ROTFLMAO . What were their parents thinking? It's an Ang Lee film: the first hour is bound to be slow and 'boring'! ;). Although seeing the kids practice their Hulk jumps in the cinema was pretty funny. Too bad they didn't break their necks ;).

I'll probably watch the film on DVD in a couple of years and then get back to you about what I really thought about it :wave:. Although I do know that my absolute favourite moment was that hallucination scene where the Hulk grabs Banner through the mirror. It scared the crap out of me and the "Puny human" was priceless :)

CYPHER

I just saw the movie. I must say it.

The HULK has the best CGI i have ever seen in a movie. It has only few fake moment and definately, the so discused hulk face-hand, that looked a little bad in the pic, was an amazing animation in the movie.

The movie was not boring, i found t interesting the scientific affairs and so but anyway, if the hulk appeared after 10 mins, the movie will be only a hulk pursuit nad though entertaining, would have not had any insight at all.

This movie shows that they should have hired ILM for all the superheros movies (X.men, Spiderman...) And i hope Stan Lee agrees with me and hires them for the upcoming films.

The score was not bad either, i found it different of what i'm acustomed of Mr Elfman (that is not much anyway...)

Luke, very impressed, and who's favourite superhero movie is now this one.

I don't have any problems with Spiderman FX........ find it strange that people would.

I don't have any problems with Spiderman FX........ find it strange that people would.

They are not bad, just not good enough. I hope Sony does not make Venom. ILM should. Because yes, venom is surely going to be CGI if they make it.

I say it yesterday, and I'm deeply impressed. IF some of you think the way to go with Superhero movies is the lines of Spiderman or X-men instead of the Hulk, then whe really don't seen eye to eye. I was never a fan of Hulk Comics, but I love Batman comics, and this movie is for me, by far, the best supehero movie so far. Yes, it's slowly paced and it takes itself seriously, but it's one hell of an engrossing and envolving movie. I hope people don't take me the wrong way, but when a movie like Spiderman makes 400 mil and X-men United 210 mil, whereas the Hulk only makes 120 mil, it's quite a bad sign in my book. The editing, Cinematography, acting and SFX were very impressive.

Romão, who thinks the Desert and S. Francisco sequences have the best CGi character animation ever.

• 2 weeks later...

Hehe, not surprising it's banned, they like to ban such stuff all too often here.

Anyway, I thought it had a slow start. It did have cool direction and great action though. It was exciting to see the hulk battling the latest US military hardware. :cool: Most of which isn't even in service yet, which means that movie must be set in like 2008+ or so.