Zimmer duel: Gladiator vs King Arthur vs Last Samurai

WampaRat

Gladiator vs King Arthur vs Last Samurai  

20 members have voted

1. 1. Which one do you prefer to listen to?

• Gladiator (2000)
    • King Arthur (2004)
    • Last Samurai (2003)

Well, that was a fairly easy poll, for once. GLADIATOR from here to eternity. That's not to say KING ARTHUR isn't enjoyable (it is!), but in a whole other league altogether.

I am an avid Zimmer fan and supporter, my second favourite after Williams at the moment, and I know there are 2-3 other fans here as well. But we're hard to spot amidst the ocean of bashers.

3 minutes ago, WampaRat said:

Haha. Sorry I decided to throw Last Samurai on there to make it a little more interesting ;) Feel free to change your vote!

Doesn't change the vote for me, but THE LAST SAMURAI is an excellent score. One of his best in the new millennium.

If GLADIATOR were to get any proper 'competition' here, you'd have to throw in scores like THE ROCK, CRIMSON TIDE, THE LION KING, INTERSTELLAR, INCEPTION, BEYOND RANGOON, THE THIN RED LINE etc. But then you obviously wouldn't get the 'ancient epic times' aspect covered. You could add PRINCE OF EGYPT, though -- another great one -- but it still wouldn't beat GLADIATOR. It completely rules this particular aspect of Zimmer's sound, and is very high on his list in general.

Good points. Yeah I was striving for comparable “ancient/historical epic” scores. 

I still wonder what his score to Kingdom of Heaven would have sounded like (I know we have that one track of his from the KoH recording sessions.) 

Probably would have been a cross between DaVinci Code and Gladiator...

18 minutes ago, WampaRat said:

I still wonder what his score to Kingdom of Heaven would have sounded like (I know we have that one track of his from the KoH recording sessions.) 

A KINGDOM OF HEAVEN vs. GLADIATOR duel would have been more tricky. KOH is HGW's shining hour; a masterpiece. Would probably still go to GLADIATOR in the end, but an even match.

Gladiator is fine, and King Arthur has an awesome theme.

But I had to go with The Last Samurai, my favorite Zimmer score and one of the scores that made me a film music fan. It's his masterpiece in my opinion, and should've been nominated for the Oscar in 2003 (replacing Yared's Cold Mountain, of course).

9 minutes ago, Naïve Old Fart said:

Where's the 

"None Of Them They're All Shite"

option?

There you go, Wamparat. A great example of the prevalent Zimmer hatred on JWFAN.

King Arthur is perfectly functional and has a reasonably OST. One case where Zimmer's album is a godsend if you've never seen the film (and I haven't).

Gladiator is a classic. No competition here IMO. Last Samurai has some nice parts, but an overlong OST.

Gladiator by far. Is probably one of his more entertaining scores and (even if it's uncredited) the use of Holst's Mars is very appropriate.

I also like The Last Samurai but King Arthur is a weak score IMHO.