Best Goldsmith action scores/tracks?

mxsch

I once created an iTunes playlist with Goldsmith 'setpiece tracks' (both action and less action-oriented setpieces).  It seems to have disappeared, but I can assemble it again and take a screen grab.

[Edit: Here's one, quickly assembled. There are more to be added, but this is a great start. By setpiece, I mean tracks that aren't main or end titles, but action sequences that almost work as their own independent composition:]

goldsmith.jpg

I think, action music is not necessarily Goldsmith biggest strength.

Anyway, I must confess, I like his Supergirl soundtrack, even though it is not so prominent. It is somehow the rough Goldsmith counter work to Williams' Superman score.

57 minutes ago, Thor said:

I once created an iTunes playlist with Goldsmith 'setpiece tracks' (both action and less action-oriented setpieces).  It seems to have disappeared, but I can assemble it again and take a screen grab.

[Edit: Here's one, quickly assembled. There are more to be added, but this is a great start. By setpiece, I mean tracks that aren't main or end titles, but action sequences that almost work as their own independent composition:]

goldsmith.jpg

I would add The Hijacking from AFO, that cue literally got me into Jerry.

54 minutes ago, GerateWohl said:

That is a very unusual thing to say. Goldsmith is kind of the godfather of action music.

29 minutes ago, Brundlefly said:

That is a very unusual thing to say. Goldsmith is kind of the godfather of action music.

I know what you mean. And after I wrote this I thought how effective often his action scoring is in movies. But my access to Goldsmith was more through his horror and thriller scores which are very suspenseful but not necessarily action scores.

I also own the old Total Recall album, but I hardly listen to it. I am not that much interested in his action music. 

My favourite Goldsmith score is still Studs Lonigan (even though its neither horror nor thriller :blink:, it's complicated).

My trinity still holds:

Rambo - First Blood Part 2

Total Recall

Baby - Secret of the Lost Legend

1 hour ago, GerateWohl said:

ezgif.com-gif-maker (2).gif

8 hours ago, Brundlefly said:

I think Gerate is still in shock at having the composition contest stolen.from him#😄

1 hour ago, Jurassic Shark said:

Steiner and Korngold say hello. :wave:

What would you say are their greatest pure action cues? I can think of a couple great ones from Korngold but nothing that can match the sustained intensity of any Goldsmith action cue. On the other hand, Alfred Newman composed the earliest piece of Golden Age film music which I do think can stand side by side with later action cues by the likes of Goldsmith and Williams... “De Vargas Family Escape” from Captain from Castile.

Yavar

5 minutes ago, Yavar Moradi said:

What would you say are their greatest pure action cues? I can think of a couple great ones from Korngold but nothing that can match the sustained intensity of any Goldsmith action cue. On the other hand, Alfred Newman composed the earliest piece of Golden Age film music which I do think can stand side by side with later action cues by the likes of Goldsmith and Williams... “De Vargas Family Escape” from Captain from Castile.

Yavar

I wasn't replying to a post about who's writing the best action music. :) But I do think Korngold's swashbuckler music is pretty great. 

1 hour ago, bruce marshall said:

I think Gerate is still in shock at having the composition contest stolen.from him#😄

Most people understand who's the real winner.

12 hours ago, bruce marshall said:

Yavar? You're on!😁

Okay but I’ll only play with great action cues that are off the beaten path. There are already enough people here to recommend The Mummy and Air Force One.

Here are a couple from one of my favorite Goldsmith scores that is generally underrated/forgotten...

I also want to give a shout out to the badass “Barroom Brawl” from my favorite Goldsmith feature film score, Lonely Are the Brave. But alas I can’t find the cue on YouTube and the album is long out of print...

Yavar

23 hours ago, mxsch said:

I would add The Hijacking from AFO, that cue literally got me into Jerry.

Absolutely. And a few more. But I wouldn't want the playlist to get too long; it should play like a proper album. The above playlist is a smokin' great 50 minutes of brilliant JG action setpieces.