What Is The Last Film You Watched? (2022 films)

Jay

One of the reasons why I don't like that word...

"Entertainment" to me almost has this by-connotation of "amusement" which I think is a wrong term to use anywhere near a good drama. Good drama is poignant, moving and often quite gloomy.

8 minutes ago, Chen G. said:

One of the reasons why I don't like that word...

"Entertainment" to me almost has this by-connotation of "amusement" which I think is a wrong term to use anywhere near a good drama. Good drama is poignant, moving and often quite gloomy.

"Entertaining" (which is the word I used) is whatever entertains or amuses the mind.  It doesn't automatically means a Disney Theme Park (which isn't my idea of fun).

But I'm glad to see you're still well and alive. 

Dalton was certainly a shift in tone from Moore (and a probably necessary one at that stage ... series needed a shot in the arm). But I'd argue that the one-liners, innuendo etc were still more or less present and correct with Brosnan. 

IMHO Brosnan is the only Bond to thread the needle between being a grim assassin and still having the playful tap dancing performance that Connery / Moore had.

Flemming's Bond wasn't nearly as witty as his celluloid counterpoint, but he wasn't a grim and bitter man.

Allison-Janney-Kristen-Bell-e-Ben-Platt-esta~o-prontos-para-estragar-um-casamento-no-trailer-de-The-People-We-Hate-At-The-Wedding-trailer.webp

The People We Hate at the Wedding

Amusing family drama / romcom mashup that came out last year on Amazon.  The stacked cast all does a very good job - Kristen Bell (replacing the originally announced Annie Murphy who I guess had to do Kevin Can Fuck Himself instead, Alison Janney, Ben Platt, Cynthia Addai-Robinson, Karan Soni, Jorma Taccone, Lizzy Caplan, D'Arcy Carden, and even Dustin Milligan (Annie Murphy's love interest from Schitt's Creek, what a fun reunion that could have been).  The kind of movie that delivers exactly what the trailer promises.

It's on Amazon

54a5cb0690547a7366369ccb8feebaeab1-vengeance.2x.rsocial.w600.webp

Vengeance

Wow!  BJ Novak's directorial debut is a winner.  He stars as a new york city journalist who flies to Texas to attend the funeral of a former hookup when her brother calls to insist on his presence, since she seemingly had told the family he was more than just a fling.  Once there comedy ensues, as a mystery builds about how the girl died and what else is going on in this Texas town.  Boyd Holbook, J. Smith-Cameron, Dove Cameron, Issa Rae, and even Ashton Kutcher give good supporting performances.  I enjoyed the unpredictable nature of the investigation and how it resolves and look forward to Novak's next film!

It's on Amzon Prime

chacha_uf1vsd.webp

Cha Cha Real Smooth

Cooper Raiff's followup to the great Shithouse is not nearly as good as its predecessor, but still interesting and worth watching none-the-less.  He again stars in his own film, playing a recent college grad without a career path who ends up befriending a single mother (Dakota Johnson) and her autistic daughter while managing his own relationships with his mother Leslie Mann, stepdad Brad Garett, a (much) younger brother, and a girlfriend who is currently in Barcelona and may or may not be seeing someone else.  The various character and their stories weave in and out and take some interesting turns.  The filmmaking is a step up from Shithouse, but the characters aren't as compelling, and feel more "written" than the more raw and honest portrayals from Shithouse.  While not a huge winner here, Raiff is still a talent to watch.

It's on Apple TV+

web.ae_.nope_.review.courtesy-768x349.jp

Nope

Another disappointment from Jordan Peele after he kicked off his feature film directing with such a promising start with Get Out.  This one is at least better than Us, with better characters and a less muddy and hole-filled plot.  Some of the thrills and scares are well done, but it doesn't all come together in the end to be that satisfying or memorable.

It's on Amazon Prime

she-said-movie-review-2022.jpeg

She Said

Nice film about two New York Times reporters (Carey Mulligan and Zoe Kazan) who investigate Harvey Weinstein after rumors of him abusing actresses turn up.   I didn't know the details of how his abuse was discovered, investigated and revealed and it was nice to learn it this way.  The directing isn't flashy but got the job done.  Basically it's not as good of a film as Spotlight or Zodiac or anything, but I liked it more than Boston Strangler.

It's on Amazon Prime

the-greatest-beer-run-ever-movie-review-

The Greatest Beer Run Ever

Fun film based on a real life story of a guy who flew to Vietnam during the Vietnam War to give beers to friends who were serving.  As he travels around trying to find people who he grew up with in New York that are now deployed all over, he gets into all kinds of different dangerous situations he always has to get out of, and learns a lot along the way.  Russell Crowe shows up as a war photogapher, and Bill Murray has a small role as a bar-owner back home.  It was better than I was expecting!

It's on Apple TV+

Luck. Words that will trigger unwanted physical violent reactions for the two coming days: forever family, Hazel. Sam is terrible (voice). Debney’s score is pretty great. Can I have a good luck penny now? Please?

MV5BZmQwZDZhZDMtYWU4MS00NjliLWJkNjItN2Fm

The Unbearable Weight of Massive Talent

Amusing affair where Nicolas Cage plays an exaggerated version of himself who gets mixed up in a plot involving him being a mole for the CIA when at a superfan's villa who they suspect is part of a drug cartel.  The plot doesn't really matter, the chemistry between Nicolas Cage and Pedro Pascal carries the movie, along with amusing scenes where Cage also plays an even more exaggerated, younger more successful version of Cage as visions the main Cage sees.  The character scenes are just good enough to outweigh the parts where the plot has to plod along.  Decent enough!

• 2 weeks later...

MV5BODc1YTZhOTktMTMxMy00NGY5LTk3YjQtMTg1

Spirited

This movie was terrible.  I didn't realize it was a full blown musical, and that's not a good thing.  At least it was nice to see Sunita Mani again.

It's on Apple TV+

• 4 months later...

page-header.jpg

Bodies Bodies Bodies

Wow!  This movie took me by total surprise.  For a lot of the runtime, I wasn't really into it.  The setup is that a bunch of rich 20-something are having a weekend party in a mansion, when they start being killed one by one and the remaining people have to figure out who the killer is.  This is tied in in a fun way to a game they played earlier in the evening called "bodies bodies bodies", where one person was the "killer" and one a "victim", and they all crawled around in the dark until someone found the body and the remaining plays had to guess who it was.  There is also all kinds of various tensions between different guests for different romantic or personal reasons, and a guest mentioned who was there the night before but left after a fight....

I liked the actors and premise, but I guess my probably with a lot of the movie was that it wasn't funny enough.  Rachel Sennott and Pete Davidson seemed to be the only people having fun, with the rest caught up in their various dramas.  But as the movie went on and the bodies piled up, I was getting more into it, and then the final reveal at the end was so clever and hilarious, that the movie won me over as a whole. 

This is one of the rare movies I think would actual take on a whole new fun level on second watch, now that you know everything going on.

It's on Netflix

It was pretty fun yeah.  I still think about how funny that whole reveal is at the end.  LOL

Yeah, especially because of the reaction afterwards. I remember when I saw it in the cinema and how people reacted to it.

And I just like the way the film also kimda talks about how people are with phones and followers etc. It's just really funny

totallyfine-f.jpg

I'm Totally Fine

Really strange, comedic, sci-fi (I suppose) film where Jillian Bell and Natalie Morales are best friends and business partners, but just before the events of the movie Morales has died unexpectedly and Bell is off to an Air BNB they had rented together to celebrate a big win for their business.  Not longer after arriving there, Morales appears, claiming to be an alien who took her form, in order to study human behavior....

What follows is a sometimes funny, sometime introspective look at grief and the way it presents itself, as a series of conversations and mini-adventures ensue like when What We Do In The Shadows' Harvey Guillen shows up as a party DJ Bell forgot to cancel, with molly to share.

Not a great movie, not a bad movie, but an interesting one with two good actors.

It's on Hulu