So Disney has ordered a direct-to-Hulu Predator movie - PREY

Edmilson

Really enjoyed this! Finally a Predator sequel worth watching.

The score is pretty great too! Glad it wasn't just Silvestri's score reheated, but something entirely different for the series. Fits with the time period and the culture portrayed on screen.

Silvestri was credited at the end though. Did I miss an excerpt of his score somewhere?

I listened to the OST album yesterday and didn't notice any Silvestri material. 

I think whatever she did with it is subtle

I heard one of the cool wailing sounds from Silvestri's Predator 2 score at some point, but I couldn't pinpoint exactly which track it came from.

P2 is filled with such unique alien/tribal sounds, but it instantly stood out when I heard it in this film. Maybe that's the reference?

Someone else who's seen the film must know what I'm talking about.

Haven't seen the film or listened to the full score yet, but I suppose this is why Silvestri is credited:

Seems to be a subtle reference to the original theme.

Good flick. There was too much score.  A lovely scene of establishing shots at the beginning was an unscored beautiful reminder of how spotting should work. 

I too tried the Comanche dub, but everything was close captioned.  I would’ve liked if they had pushed it farther and had all Comanche with no subtitles.  More storytelling with less dialogue. 

Still, very enjoyable. 

I rewatched Predators last night, and much to my surprise, I did not rate it. 

I remember loving it on first watch ten years ago. But after a decade watching Hollywood's soft reboot craze turn into a cliche, it was apparent how much of that film is a lazy copy paste of the original, without any of the humour or entertainment value.

Creature effects were pretty great though. Debney's score was too much of a copy paste. They might as well have hired Silvestri.

I really liked Prey, but has anyone else thought that the level of internet praise is a bit exaggerated?  I mean, it was good, but the reviews seem hyperbolic.

22 hours ago, Andy said:

I really liked Prey, but has anyone else thought that the level of internet praise is a bit exaggerated?  I mean, it was good, but the reviews seem hyperbolic.

I was thinking the same. It was decent, but nowhere near as good as I was expecting based on the hype.

I think because so much genre stuff released these days sucks, anything that's even decent looks great by comparison. I sort of thought that way about No Way Home...good, and easily the best Phase 4 film, but not in the same league as some earlier Marvel films.

Top Gun: Maverick, on the other hand, was an instant f*cking classic!

12 minutes ago, Nick1Ø66 said:

I think because so much genre stuff released these days sucks, anything that's even decent looks great by comparison. I sort of thought that way about No Way Home...good, and easily the best Phase 4 film, but not in the same league as some earlier Marvel films.

Second-best for me, behind Shang-Chi (even despite the messy CGI final act). But yeah Phase 4 has really been a disappointment in terms of films, even though I think the Disney+ shows have been much more consistently strong.

Yavar

I've only bothered to see Black Widow, Spider-man, and Shang Chi so far, even though I have Disney+ and could see Eternals and Dr Strange 2 too

Just now, Jay said:

I've only bothered to see Black Widow, Spider-man, and Shang Chi so far, even though I have Disney+ and could see Eternals and Dr Strange 2 too

Those are the only ones I've seen also. Haven't seen any of the TV shows.  

Black Widow (which I thought was pretty decent) sort of feels like a Phase 3 leftover to me.

10 hours ago, Andy said:

Like the original film?

34 minutes ago, Nick1Ø66 said:

I sort of thought that way about No Way Home...good, and easily the best Phase 4 film, but not in the same league as some earlier Marvel films.

Phase 4 has been so crappy that I haven't watched Thor: Love and Thunder yet. I may do it when it arrives on D+, but after some comments I've heard and read, the movie seems like a gigantic waste of time.

Yeah, Spiderman is the best Phase 4 movie so far, but mostly because its insane fanservice makes it very likable.

But let's go back to talk about Prey and The Predator before these posts get moved to another thread... lol

Solid film with an awesome central performance from Midthunder. The score does its job even if the action scoring felt much too underpowered. I get that Silvestri's orchestral thunder may not have worked as well in this context (but then again it might have done so). But the dry RCP grooves literally did not contribute anything to the scenes and only undermined them.

Melodic material is great but clearly inspired by Jones and Last of the Mohicans as well as Richter's Hostiles (a truly great score):

Agree Yavar - such a great but very HARD film. Feel like this Richter track has taken over as the new replacement for Glass' Hours that everything and everyone quotes in sad/climactic moments (and it is a brilliant, brilliant track perhaps unfortunately cheapened by how much it is heard in all types of media nowadays):

• 5 weeks later...

Count me in as really liking this movie!  I had fun watching it.  The look of the film was awesome, especially the section with the fur traders where the sky is all smokey and grey the whole time.

The only thing I found pretty distracting was the large amount of poor CGI.  In the beginning, all the animals they hunt are really fake looking CGI, and when the Predator is jumping from tree to tree that was pretty fake looking too.  There were plenty of effects that looked great, it's a shame they didn't have a higher CGI budget for those parts

• 11 months later...