Halloween Ends (spoilers)

Bespin

I saw the first reviews, so there's a sort of "heir" to Michael Myers?

Really?

So finally, is #HalloweenEnds like the last Star Wars? The bad guy dies, the good ones too, but remains an "heir" supposed to evoke "balance"? 40 years to end Halloween like a Star Wars?

Really? 😝😝😝

At first I was not impressed by this "new" trilogy started in 2018, I'm a huuuge fan of the original movies... but the sequel "Halloween Kills" (2021) brought, in my opinion, some meat around the 2018 film, being a direct sequel to the same Halloween evening that just continues (so with the same characters).

Kills introduced some very up-to-date cultural phenomenas (like popular's tribunal, where packs want to take justice into their own hands)... that was not bad at all. Then it featured a little delightfull "retro" flashback showing a new look-a-like actor playing Dr. Loomis (originally played by the excellent Donald Pleasance). It was very successfull I must admit!

Hey and then Michael Myers killed his first gay couple, that's a THING, no? ROTFLMAO

So that was already 2/3 of a new trilogy... and it was good... It looked like an Halloween, walked like an Halloween and sounded like an Halloween. Two modern, very decent Halloweens, yeah... and most of all, with Jamie Lee Curtis!

I am not surprised that the third installment, the conclusion of this trilogy, pushes even further its reflection on the cycle of evil, you know when evil begets evil, and that you no longer really know its origin, but you know that it will continue to exist anyway, whatever you do.

Michael Myers died a lot of time in the older movies, he always resurrected. Laurie Strode (Jamie Lee Curtis) also "died" once, then got resurrected. Perfectly normal... We understood the idea... The two fuel each other in a sense, and that's exactly the reflection the main characters have in "Halloween Kills"...

Laurie Strode : I always thought Michael Myers was flesh and blood, just like you and me, but a mortal man could not have survived what he's lived through. The more he kills, the more he transcends into something else impossible to defeat. Fear. People are afraid. That is the true curse of Michael.

Allyson : He'll always be here, won't he? Even when we can't see him.

Laurie Strode : You can't defeat it with brute force.

Officer Hawkins : If we only knew then what we know now.

Laurie Strode : It is the essence of evil. The anchor that divides us. It is the terror that grows stronger when we try to hide. If they don't stop him tonight, maybe we'll find him tomorrow. Or next Halloween, when the sun sets and someone is alone. You can't close your eyes and pretend he isn't there. Because he is.

This is a horrible movie, plain and simple.

The opening pretitle is alright and has a nice callback but it then leads to an hour and a half of Laurie being completely out of character and a main story that would be fine if it were just a random Halloween movie, but not as the proposed "final encounter" between Laurie and Michael Myers.  As a result, and with the need to have the confrontation at the end, you have a very rushed plot that isn't well done and ultimately not what audiences are looking for, with the filmmakers essentially saying as much in the film.

The last act is decent, but the film has already gone off the wheels at this point.  None of the tension of the original or even the 2018 film exist here.  Instead, you have a poorly told love story (multiple love stories actually) told against the backdrop of Haddonfield. The movie has four writers, and it would seem that two of them wrote the last act and the others were probably tasked with coming up with a way to get to that point.  IMO they failed miserably and Halloween Ends will sit firmly at the bottom of the franchise along with Halloween 6, Resurrection, and the previous Kills.  

17 hours ago, Goldfinger said:

This is a horrible movie, plain and simple.

The opening pretitle is alright and has a nice callback but it then leads to an hour and a half of Laurie being completely out of character and a main story that would be fine if it were just a random Halloween movie, but not as the proposed "final encounter" between Laurie and Michael Myers.  As a result, and with the need to have the confrontation at the end, you have a very rushed plot that isn't well done and ultimately not what audiences are looking for, with the filmmakers essentially saying as much in the film.

The last act is decent, but the film has already gone off the wheels at this point.  None of the tension of the original or even the 2018 film exist here.  Instead, you have a poorly told love story (multiple love stories actually) told against the backdrop of Haddonfield. The movie has four writers, and it would seem that two of them wrote the last act and the others were probably tasked with coming up with a way to get to that point.  IMO they failed miserably and Halloween Ends will sit firmly at the bottom of the franchise along with Halloween 6, Resurrection, and the previous Kills.  

The Evening Standard's reviewer made me chuckle with this ... 'Better than the last one, but still feels like the work of two totally different directors. And one of those directors is a moron.' 

I just saw it... I just could'nt wait. Life finds a way! hehe

I loved it.

That was the perfect third installment for this trilogy. Now that's really the end.

AT LAST.

People who shot down the movie didn't even like the two previous one... and probably none of the previous films made in the last 40 years.

No one ever said that an Halloween movie was good. They are no "good" movie.  It began in 1978 as an independant movie made by people with no money at all, just helping each other, just trying to redefine a genre. It worked well, because it was made with love, in fact!

Now 40 years later... that's the end.... and remember... beware of the evil... the one inside you. That's the worst of all...

Genius!

- Fan satisfied at 100 %

Halloween 2018  6/10
Halloween Kills 7/10

Halloween Ends 4/10

Yes, I like “Kills” the best of this trilogy.  It’s just a stupid romp, and I still chant “Evil Dies Tonight!” to make my family roll their eyes. 

Ends is just really messy and quite dull. There isn’t enough fun to be had. I would rate it even lower, but Jamie Lee Curtis does a fine job, and seems more like her character than in the other two. 

This really should be the end, because I miss when he was called “The Shape” and was still scary. 

Well, you didn't saw the same movie as me, because he didn't won... he committed suicide, I don't call that a "victory".

This trilogy is about good, evil, self justice, popular tribunals, inner demons, addiction, etc.

Oh, add "mass murders" to the keywords.

BTW I loved this scene!

20 hours ago, Andy said:

This really should be the end, because I miss when he was called “The Shape” and was still scary.

He is still called The Shape, and I liked that they actually delved into that a little. Was honestly surprised it didn’t have a cliffhanger ending of him shifting into someone else. 

I loved the fact that Halloween ended for real this time! 

Can we talk about the scene where The Shape comes in his pants? That was honest, for one time, to show the sexual pleasure certain type of killers gets when they murder a person. That was the first time we saw that in the whole series.

And it doesn't happen in a random murder in the movie, it's an important killing for Myers, a kind of a step, after a long winter...

8 minutes ago, Koray Savas said:

The Shape only kills like 3 people during the entire film. Who are you referring to? What "important" murders were there?

At this age (he's what 65 yo in the movie), that's not the quantity, but the quality that matters!

I don’t remember that at all. 

I watched it 24 hours ago, and I couldn’t for the life of me remember how Corey met his end. Even being reminded of suicide, I still don’t remember it.  I wasn’t tired or drunk or anything. 

18 hours ago, Andy said:

This made me laugh. 265D635B-2F30-4451-83C8-D8B75D87F990.jpeg

I was serious with this MEME.

It's a mass murderer, he turned the bullying he lived into mass murder, then committed suicide, I would not call that a "victory". The guy who made this MEME was sick, I don't think it's a good idea to share... but that's my two cents.

I didn’t read into it too deeply. I thought it was funny because of the film being more Corey and less Michael than fans anticipated. Nothing more. Sorry it made you uncomfortable and if you like, I’ll remove it.  No harm intended. 

1 hour ago, Bespin said:

What?

There is a petition to make a new version because some fans are but hurt.

I got to see Carpenter and his boys perform live in an old closed down movie theater.  They played his themes live to projected clips.  The roof didn't stand a chance.  They freaking ROCKED!  One of the coolest concerts I ever saw.

There is a blu ray if anyone is interested.

https://www.stormkingproductionsstore.com/product-p/jclive2016ntsc.htm

I saw this movie in the theater over the weekend; Not my choice!

I thought it was pretty bad.  I haven't seen H40 or Kills, but the friend who wanted to see it caught me up on the major points.

I thought it was odd that Jamie Lee Curtis was only really in it for what, 20-25 minutes, and Michael Meyers even less.  Why did the final movie of their revived trilogy focus so much on this new Corey dude?  He sucked.

So many scenes were boring, and there was so much bad writing and acting.  When Corey first showed up at the hospital and JLC's grandaughter gives him the gaga eyes and instantly falls in love with him, I knew the movie had no chance of being good and I was right.

Pretty effective opening scene, though

This is a spot-on analysis!

You go seeing the third and final instalment of a trilogy, and you did'nt even saw the two previous movies... bullshit review, honestly!

I's not a movie that stands on its own. It's a self-conscious Trilogy... self-conscious of its mythology and of it's success since 40 years... and well self-conscious, that it goes nowhere if it doesn't end!!!

So this trilogy was meant to "END" the "saga" (if we can call it like this) in a way no one (even the hardest fans) predicted.

"Evil doesn’t die, it changes shape".

That's the central idea.

You remember the last scene of the movie, Michael's mask lying on Laurie's Coffee table... That's Evil waiting for it's new shape (well, poetically).

The old fan in me was satisfied, because I'm 48 yo and in 2022 I live in a world that truly terrifies me.

Yes, Evil is everywhere.

Perhaps, it's me?

11 hours ago, Jay said:

Doesn't change the fact that Corey sucked

That's a metaphorical character to address bullying, mass murdering, the fact that the face of Evil always change, the violence cycle, etc.

Can we really see Evil in someone's eyes? Can we really detect it before the irreparable happens?

Has the Evil always been there, is it a social construction?

It reminds me a scene from The Force Awakens, where a character, Maz Kanata, says she recognizes fear in someone’s eyes when she sees it.

Evil should've changed shape by telling more creative stories outside of the slasher genre, as Halloween III did.  I've been watching lots of horror films for Halloween, and I'm struggling to find good ones that have the actual holiday done well.  If only III were a success, we would've had one masterpiece and a perfectly fine sequel featuring The Shape, opening up the Halloween franchise to a variety of anthology stories in the Carpenter/Hill/Wallace style.  I'd love more films like Trick 'R Treat or Season of the Witch.

Jason movies - Low common denominator.  They're all pretty equally cheap, but oddly entertaining.

Freddy movies - Ups and downs, but overall all of them are at least watchable and entertaining.

Michael movies - Sharp exponential decline with lots of entries that are almost unwatchable wastes of time.

The main error of Halloween III (because this movie is a handful of errors) was to think they could make an Halloween movie without Michael Myers. 

All the movie is holding on the famous scene where snakes get out of the Halloween masks after the annoying adverts play on TV.

It's cool that the new trilogy made a very special place to the three famous masks from HIII, it's the best thing you can pick from this big failure that was HIII !

fugk9iw77d771.jpg

3 hours ago, Bespin said:

The main error strength of Halloween III (because this movie is a handful of errors) was to think they could make an Halloween movie without Michael Myers. 

I disagree completely.

Halloween the holiday is rich with weird pagan tradition, and a film series titled Halloween needn’t be held strictly to the slasher genre.  In fact, I’d argue that there isn’t much Halloween in Halloween.  It could just have easily been the first film to be titled Friday the 13th.  In fact, what parents of young suburban children go out to leave them with a babysitter on Halloween?  Makes no sense. 

Halloween III on the other hand, is ALL about Halloween. The film literally bleeds orange pumpkin guts.   It’s flawed to be sure, but insanely fun. And if the only thing you find it has going for it are the masks, well then you’re somehow immune to the impossibly awesome old school sex appeal of Tom Atkins and the half his age Stacey Nelkin!

52B5F75C-CBC8-4DC7-8556-0448848222B6.jpeg

11 hours ago, Bespin said:

You go seeing the third and final instalment of a trilogy, and you did'nt even saw the two previous movies... bullshit review, honestly!

I's not a movie that stands on its own. It's a self-conscious Trilogy... self-conscious of its mythology and of it's success since 40 years... and well self-conscious, that it goes nowhere if it doesn't end!!!

So this trilogy was meant to "END" the "saga" (if we can call it like this) in a way no one (even the hardest fans) predicted.

That's the central idea.

You remember the last scene of the movie, Michael's mask lying on Laurie's Coffee table... That's Evil waiting for it's new shape (well, poetically).

The old fan in me was satisfied, because I'm 48 yo and in 2022 I live in a world that truly terrifies me.

Yes, Evil is everywhere.

Perhaps, it's me?

Clearly you love this trilogy, but as a “final installment,” it’s even worse. The pitch meeting effectively addresses all these issues.

I enjoyed it enough as a standalone film, but as final entry in a franchise building Michael Myers up into this invincible demon, it’s a complete failure. The dude gets killed by a fridge and few knife stabs, but an entire mob couldn’t take him down?

Pretty sure this was never supposed to be a trilogy and Blumhouse milked it out of Green and McBride. 

9 hours ago, Koray Savas said:

The dude gets killed by a fridge and few knife stabs, but an entire mob couldn’t take him down?

First, do you know how old are Laurie Strode and Michael Myers in Halloween Ends? They are approx. 65 yo. hehe

Plus, remember that the Michael Myers of Halloween Ends didn't die 6 times in 6 different movies... The "new" trilogy is a direct sequel to the first Halloween of 1978. So the Michael Myers from Halloween 2018 spent the last 40 years in "hospital".

In other words, nothing in the new trilogy makes us believe Michael could be "immortal", he's very angry, strong and determined, but he doesn't seems to be "immortal" in a biological way.

Sure, he got nearly burned in Halloween 2018 (but he managed to hide in a trap), he got several of his fingers cut... then in Halloween Kills, he received few gun shots, if I remember well, and finally got beatin' up with a baseball bat...

So, 3 years after those events, I was pleased to see Michael "a little bit" tired in Halloween Ends! :lol:

Then, if we dig in the "Halloween mythology", we understand that as your fear of the bogeyman (you inner one or wathever) diminishes, so does his strength...

The Good, the Evil, how should it end, we could debate for hours!!! The David Gordon Green Trilogy was only a proposition among others... ;)

1 hour ago, Jay said:

Oh yea, and no one has an orgasm in this movie.  Dunno why you and some dudes on twitter thought that

I recognize an orgasm when I see one!

You are still young, Jay, let's talk about this in few years! :lol:

kermit-mrthefrog.gif