Upcoming Video Games (and general video game chitchat)

Jay

TV and movies get separate threads for upcoming vs ones we've watched, so why not the same for video games?

Here's a nice big article about a bunch of games scheduled to come out this year

https://www.comingsoon.net/games/features/1257187-comingsoon-50-most-anticipated-video-games-of-2023

I still think it's funny Capcom remade RE4 before Code Veronica, and for me personally, I am looking forward to Silksong the most, even more than Tears of the Kingdom!  Of course, an actual proper gameplay trailer for that could change things

• 2 weeks later...
19 minutes ago, Jay said:

I just learned they made  Blossom Tales 2, anybody here play it?

I bought it, played through the first dungeon and for some reason it fell by the wayside.  I need to get back to it.  I remember the movement felt annoyingly "sludgy."  Especially compared to A Link Between Worlds where controlling Link feels like buttah

image.png

18 hours ago, Jay said:

I just learned they made a Blossom Tales 2, anybody here play it?

The first one was such a carbon copy of 2D Zelda that you couldn't help but to notice the fact that every single aspect was directly inferior. I have no idea why they made a second one. Even more surprised that it's been promoted so hard between Playtonic "publishing" and having the money to pay Nintendo to promote it on their Youtube.

I'm going to try to avoid all further preview coverage of Tears of the Kingdom.  No trailers, no gameplay videos, no nothin'!  It's gonna be hard to avoid at least images of that stuff though.

This is good!  They know everyone wants it, so I think it's great if they continue keeping their cards close to their chest.  But obviously more will be shown in the next few months, and this time I'd like to go in knowing as little as possible.

2 hours ago, Disco Stu said:

Shame about Mario + Rabbids 2 under-performing, it was a really fun game and far superior to the first one IMO

I wonder if the boycotts affected sales?

14 minutes ago, SilverTrumpet said:

What boycotts? 

Some people were not buying the game because of Ubisoft's treatment of employees and stuff.

Not sure how big a movement it was though, could have just been a couple of people, which wouldn't really translate to a dent in sales.

I think, against common business sense, that if they released an Assassin's Creed every 5 years, it would do millions and millions in sales and would give people a chance to really dig in, increasing the value of the game.

That's the other thing, Ubi games are seen as cheap throwaways, because they always have to steeply discount them so clear them out for the next year's entry. So now, people see a new Ubisoft game and know to wait a few weeks to get it for $20.

That's the most likely thing that happened to the new Mario + Rabbids. 

I mean that’s true for most games. Nintendo is smart and barely discounts their games so fans don’t wait.

Sony is starting to follow that business model with their $70 price point. I’ve noticed they stick to that for awhile before any sales kick in on their first party titles. 

I did too. When PS5 came out I started waiting for a lower price to arrive quickly, since they would sell big PS4 games for $10 or just give 'em away. Hasn't happened that often so far...and I kind of appreciate that. It let's me jump in early to play something I want to play without feeling ripped off when it hits $20 in three weeks after release. 

I read about that, finally. Still  happy I found one 8 months ago and enjoyed it through the year .I've had absolutely no issues with my console so far but I had to replace a controller

• 2 weeks later...

Jedi Survivor has been delayed six weeks to April 28th.  I have it preordered on XBSX but that’s too close to Tears of the Kingdom for me to finish in time (it takes me a long time to get through games).  I might just wait until later in the summer to play it, we’ll see.

I'm so hyped for both Silksong and Tears of the Kingdom

I wish one came out last year instead of both this year

On 29/01/2023 at 6:52 AM, Groovygoth666 said:

Goldeneye 64 hit Xbox this weekend, anyone else been been playing for the nostalgia?

Yeah.

But the controls are messing me up. 

I have no certain recollection of the exact N64 Control layout, but something feels terribly off.

On the Switch controller.

33 minutes ago, TolkienSS said:

Yeah.

I have no certain recollection of the exact N64 Control layout, but something feels terribly off.

Why are you using a Switch controller on XBOX? ;)

On 29/01/2023 at 4:02 PM, Koray Savas said:

I have. It’s wonderful. 

Yeah it's been great so far, although I forgot how difficult the later levels get, have you managed to finish it yet?

On 31/01/2023 at 11:31 AM, Disco Stu said:

I’ve been playing on Switch.  

I read that the Switch version was just a emulation of the original, so might not be remastered like on Xbox, but I'm not sure if that would affect it much?

4 hours ago, TolkienSS said:

Yeah.

Interesting, I've been playing on Xbox Series X and whatever they've done for the controls feels intuitive, like I'm not struggling to figure out what to do. Compared to when I last played (on an N64 at London Film and Comic Con in 2014), where I had absolutely no idea how to play and it was a struggle to figure it out.

15 hours ago, Groovygoth666 said:

Yeah it's been great so far, although I forgot how difficult the later levels get, have you managed to finish it yet?

Yep. I started on 00 Agent and hit a difficulty spike on Silo, so I beat the rest of the game on Agent. Now on Bunker 1 on 00 Agent. Trying to unlock all the cheats too. 

On 03/02/2023 at 5:57 PM, Koray Savas said:

Yep. I started on 00 Agent and hit a difficulty spike on Silo, so I beat the rest of the game on Agent. Now on Bunker 1 on 00 Agent. Trying to unlock all the cheats too. 

Oh wow straight to 00 Agent, I definitely wasn't that brave! I played through on Secret Agent, but for me the difficulty spiked on Bunker 2 (really felt like the Zap Brannigan strategy of sending in wave after wave of men). Then struggled on Jungle, but finally managed it, although had to drop down to Agent for Control Room, but finished Caverns and Cradle on Secret before going back to do Control Room. Doing all the cheats though that's impressive, have you managed to unlock many yet?

8 hours ago, Groovygoth666 said:

Oh wow straight to 00 Agent, I definitely wasn't that brave! I played through on Secret Agent, but for me the difficulty spiked on Bunker 2 (really felt like the Zap Brannigan strategy of sending in wave after wave of men). Then struggled on Jungle, but finally managed it, although had to drop down to Agent for Control Room, but finished Caverns and Cradle on Secret before going back to do Control Room. Doing all the cheats though that's impressive, have you managed to unlock many yet?

I’ve unlocked a few. DK Mode, Paintball Mode, and I think like 3 others. 

I completed the game 100% back on N64. I don’t know how but I do specifically remember beating Facility on 00 Agent in under 2:05. Gonna be tough to do that again 😂

22 hours ago, Koray Savas said:

I’ve unlocked a few. DK Mode, Paintball Mode, and I think like 3 others. 

I completed the game 100% back on N64. I don’t know how but I do specifically remember beating Facility on 00 Agent in under 2:05. Gonna be tough to do that again 😂

Yeah DK and Paintball are the easiest I think, well they're the only one's I've got so far 😂.

Nice, can see why you might have gone straight to 00. Never managed to 100% it back in the day. Is the biggest problem with Facility finding the scientist with the door decoder? (besides fighting all the soldiers as well of course)

Okay I started playing again too.

Never beat the game as a kid so I went through and breezed through Agent in a couple hours. I wanted to originally do 00 Agent from the start but it was kicking my ass hard. Got stuck on level 2. Then I went down and started doodling with Secret Agent until, yeah, Bunker 2, then went back to 00 Agent. Took hours to finish the Facility level but then the following two levels were really really easy on 00 Agent. 

Now I'm back in Bunker 1 which isn't THAT bad, you just have to be a little careful.

5 hours ago, Groovygoth666 said:

Is the biggest problem with Facility finding the scientist with the door decoder? (besides fighting all the soldiers as well of course)

My biggest issue is there's two choke points in the level. When you have to open that slow ass door to hit the panel to open the door, and then right past that with the three guards. My best strategy at that point is to toss a remote mine at the three and light it off, turn around and close the door to slow down the guys chasing you, and then from there you can pretty easily stake out the area and take out guys going after you one by one.

The only other problem spot is right after you enter the lab area, when you go up the stairs sometimes the soldiers can pick you off if you're unlucky. From there, I can hide behind the lab tables and again pick off soldiers one by one.........this is all of course if you're not trying to go for the 2:05 time and just want to finish the game on 00 Agent.