Upcoming Video Games (and general video game chitchat)

Jay

Assassin’s Creed IV: Black Flag Remake Reportedly in the Works

I hope this is true! I've played many AC games but none was as entertaining as Black Flag. I just loved navigating with the ship through the Caribbean Sea, getting into battles with other ships and exploring different tropical islands. They tried to so something similar on Odyssey, but it wasn't as fun.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I prefer the first one, personally. It's up there on my best games of all time list. The open world will obviously be less dynamic and involved than a newer game, but the gunplay is better, and the narrative is, for me, superior to the muddy and dour (and dare I say dissonant) RDR2 story. Also, it takes place in the desert, which makes it miles better, again, to me. It's much closer to Leone than the sequel.

17 hours ago, Koray Savas said:

If you want Leone, then Red Dead Revolver is the game for you. I’m glad Redemption 2 became its own sprawling epic Western. 

Sure, but Revolver isn’t very good and RDR is, though I’m a sucker for games with desert settings. ME: Andromeda had two desert planets. A+ work as far as I’m concerned lol.

I think there is an interesting story  buried somewhere in RDR2. I try not to armchair rewrite stories, but this game brings it out of me. I think if Arthur had left the gang midway through it would have been much more interesting.

Also, we don’t get enough time with the gang, and Dutch in particular, to recognize his descent into madness. I don’t really know how he was before Blackwater, so the changes that the story keeps telling me are important don’t land because I have nothing to compare them to.

By the time we get to Cuba, and Dutch kills the old woman, it’s like, I’ve just spent the whole game shooting any poor dude passing by with a wagon I want to fence, and this is supposed to land as a character going too far? It just doesn’t work for me.

I hate when ludo-narrative dissonance gets brought up, because I find it usually doesn’t apply to the games that get accursed off having it, but, for me, it applies here.

The open world is a wonder, though. It’s a shame what it took to get it made, but it’s dynamic and reactive in a way no other game has achieved. It’s at least worth playing for that reason.

My dad is playing RDR2 right now so it would be awesome for him to be able to play the technical sequel in very good quality. He’s never played the first game.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Yeah I saw that. Sadly it's not really a sign it's releasing any time soon. But yes at least Unity rolled back the shit that would have affected this game. 

• 4 weeks later...

Between Skull Island: Rise of Kong and Gollum, it really warms my heart to see a return of unabashedly terrible licensed games. Now they just need to turn Dune: Part 1 into a shitty cover shooter to complete the trifecta.

2 hours ago, Schilkeman said:

Now they just need to turn Dune: Part 1 into a shitty cover shooter to complete the trifecta.

and then never make a Dune: Part 2

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

There's a new game based on two movies that made a gazillion dollars and... Not even Ubisoft seems to care enough about it.

I’ve played about six hours of Ubisoft’s new Avatar: Frontiers Of Pandora and my big takeaway is that Avatar sickos will love this game, Far Cry Primal fans will get a kick out of Ubisoft returning to this formula, and everyone else, well… uh…dang, the game sure is pretty, huh?

https://kotaku.com/avatar-frontiers-of-pandora-impressions-review-ubisoft-1851077773

I know these Avatar movies are controversial (I think the first one is okay and the second was really good), but since James Cameron and Lightstorm invested so much money in order to make the most spectacular visual experience in theaters worthy of their 3 billion dollars box office, I think a game based on this brand should've been much more, I don't know, mind-blowing? These are "the biggest movies of all time" so the game should be similarly big and grandiose? Especially now that consoles have much more power than in 2009. Yet this one is so empty? Sigh

I've heard some conflicting reports about the Avatar game. Some seem to like the new things it's doing with crafting, and its light survival elements, but there's a lot of "this game feels empty....so like the movie hur hur," also. It looks good and expensive, but not groundbreaking. 

The Mana game. Um. Has any series coasted on the over-sized legacy of its first game the way that series has? I've yet to play one I thought was good. The current brain trust at Square does not inspire confidence. 

• 1 month later...

Wowzers!  This new Prince of Persia game was not on my radar in the slightest, and though I vaguely remember seeing it in a Nintendo Direct, I definitely didn't come away with the impression that it's a Metroidvania.  But after hearing about it on a podcast today I am ABSOLUTELY going to check out the demo and then might be buying it - looks like its a metroidvania in my sweetspot of exploration, platforming, and combat

17 hours ago, Jay said:

Wowzers!  This new Prince of Persia game was not on my radar in the slightest, and though I vaguely remember seeing it in a Nintendo Direct, I definitely didn't come away with the impression that it's a Metroidvania.  But after hearing about it on a podcast today I am ABSOLUTELY going to check out the demo and then might be buying it - looks like its a metroidvania in my sweetspot of exploration, platforming, and combat

Me too!  I've got my eye on this.  It looks super fun. 

Have you played Hollow Knight? That's my favorite metroidvania ever and one of my favorite video games of all time

10 hours ago, Jay said:

Have you played Hollow Knight? That's my favorite metroidvania ever and one of my favorite video games of all time

No.  So I bought this Prince of Persia release and absolutely love it!  It's super fun!  Great score and art direction too!  They should make it in to a movie.  Oh wait...nevermind.

Prince of Persia: The Sands of Time (2010) - IMDb

• 3 weeks later...

Wowweezowwee, 20 minute State of Play video for Final Fantasy VII Rebirth dropped last night, and the game looks GREAT!

Or here's the final 4 minute trailer if you don't want to watch the other stuff

I want to play, but not badly enough that I wan to buy a PS5 just to play it.

• 2 weeks later...

I don't think it has been posted here, but Insomniac (the studio behind the latest Spiderman games) suffered a massive leak last year that revealed a lot of stuff, including actual gameplay (obviously in a rough state) of their upcoming Wolverine game, plus plans for all their next games until the 2030s (!), Marvel or otherwise.

Today, a Wolverine trailer has leaked on Twitter:

This Reddit thread has a compilation of the leaks:

Edit: The trailer was part of a PowerPoint presentation which also highlighted some of the game's inspirations: God of War Ragnarok, Uncharted 4, Assassin's Creed: Unity and, for the Jean Grey scenes, Control.RDT_20240219_2107029140141633927862714.jpg

Actually, there is an entire subreddit dedicated to the Insomniac leaks:

https://www.reddit.com/r/insomniacleaks/s/BU4XUa56sX

Sony's stock lost $10 billion last week. The reason? Although the revenue is at an all time high, their profit margin is at a decade-low. One of the reasons for that is that software production costs are on the rise. According to the Insomniac leaks I mentioned, only Spider-Man 2 costed $300 million, approximately the cost of an Avengers movie.

https://www.cnbc.com/2024/02/19/sony-gaming-margin-questioned-after-ps5-sales-cut-sparks-stock-plunge.html

In other words: get ready to say goodbye to massive AAA games such as that.

• 2 weeks later...