Scream Franchise (1996-present)

JNHFan2000

On 19/1/2023 at 9:29 AM, Jay said:

Is 14 months one of the shortest gaps between a movie and its sequel where the films weren't shot at the same time like LOTR or Matrix?

Actually, Chamber of Secrets opened 12 months after Sorcerer's Stone didn't it

Something just tickled my brain about my time at the movie theater, and the first 5 Saw sequels were released a year (or a hair less than a year) apart.  Ditto the first few Paranormal Activity sequels.  And just looking at it now, it appears this was also the case for a few movies in the Friday the 13th and Nightmare on Elm Street series…they can really crank these things out when they want to.

4 hours ago, blondheim said:

The clip’s quality is easy to judge. If you like it, go you.

OK, the same user, who I'll let stay anonymous still, has now reported this post too.

Look anonymous, people are allowed to say that content that they consume is bad, and this post is not personally attacking you for liking the same content. 

Please learn to appreciate that different humans on earth have different opinions on things and that's OK.

26 minutes ago, AC1 said:

I didn't know that Scream was a highly praised franchise around here.

I've been a fan since the first one. It's my favourite of its genre, but they're not exactly great films. 

There are great things in them, like 1, 2 and 4; specifically the meta stuff, but I don't think they're being praised necessarily for being great, but just for being enjoyable fun genre movies.

On 04/03/2023 at 7:42 AM, AC1 said:

I didn't know that Scream was a highly praised franchise around here.

If you actually read the thread, you will see there are literally only 2 people that praise the entire franchise as a whole and like all 5 films.

There’s a level of quality control across all 5 that keeps it above a certain threshold, so even the worst of them is a very watchable slasher movie. I’d argue that there are diminishing returns, but nothing near as dire as other 90s horror franchises like Final Destination, Wrong Turn, etc.

On 5/3/2023 at 4:47 PM, mstrox said:

There’s a level of quality control across all 5 that keeps it above a certain threshold, so even the worst of them is a very watchable slasher movie. I’d argue that there are diminishing returns, but nothing near as dire as other 90s horror franchises like Final Destination, Wrong Turn, etc.

I will agree up til 5. Making a Scream movie taking down Star Wars instead of horror movies was very cringe.

To me it wasn’t really a takedown of Star Wars - it was a takedown of Scream doing the soft reboot/requel thing!  I didn’t have a lot of problems personally with them referencing movies from other genres as part of the pop culture discussion (which for the most part was limited to one living room scene), especially since horror is fairly light on soft reboots - they’re much more prone to throw away the established canon and just remake the whole thing.   Best I can think of lately is the Scream 5 guys’ own Blair Witch sequel.  Beyond that, you’re looking at stuff like them forgetting blocks of movies like the recent Halloween trilogy.  This wasn’t something like Happy Death Day 2U which almost genre-bent as it went along to me (which I also liked) - they just mentioned SW as a movie that did the same thing they were doing.

Just watched the requel scene

And outside of a meta joke in the beginning that in their universe the “Knives Out guy” made a controversial Stab sequel, and a later reference that “even fucking Star Wars” did a soft reboot, it just goes on with the exposition.

Any reason to think it won't just show up on all the download and streaming sites this Friday?

Looks pretty good

15 minutes ago, fenrik said:

Any news about score release? 

Haven’t heard anything.  Almost wonder if Varese won’t be doing this one, since I suspect their PR would be banging the drum if that were the case.

Just saw Scream VI!!!

I absolutely loved it. As said before, I am a huge fan of all the films and this is one of the best.

It's again very clever in it's commentary and reveals. It's also very tense and has some great setpieces (both apartments sequences & the subway), with the choice to move the story to NY also paying off.The kills are more gruesome (and there are quite a lot of them), but very cool and well realised.

The whole cast is great. With Barrera, Ortega, Savoy Brown, Mulroney, Panetierre & Cox as standouts.

The score was also great I felt. There is a choir used and it's a layer of horror to the kills. The 'New Beginnings' theme from last year's films returns. And I believe I also heard some statements of themes from lrevious films (Trouble In Woodsboro & Dewey's theme)

All in all! I loved it. There will be people who won't, but I don't care I had a blast!! Great film!

Did you watch the end credits to see if it said "Soundtrack album available on ___" ?

No I did not see. I did stay until the end, but I didn't catch it.

But I figure it will release Friday and will no more tomorrow based on New Zealand itunes etc.

All I know is that I really want score releas and hope it's better curated than last years. There were more longer sequences were the score could breathe, so I hope they just put them on the album, instead of the cut and paste job Tyler does a lot.

Lets hope a score release just pops up today! I'm just worried since last year they promoted it a lot with a "single" (New Horizons), Brian Tyler posted a lot about it etc.

This time, NOTHING! lol! 

The score, of course, isnt the same as Marco's, but it grew on me though the year and I like most of it today! Specially that sisters theme (is it a sister theme?) and the new Dewey/Gale theme. 
Would love more variations of these :)

I do think that Tyler did less on this and, like with his collaborations with Breton Vivian, Sven Faulconer has done most it.

I am very excited for the release

It's not up on itunes (it is on spotify without previews) yet, but the album will release tomorrow.

It's 38 tracks and 1 hour and 35 minutes.

Based on this, pretty much all the score is on the album!

Well, I really like the album!!!

I feel it's stronger because it actually has a few themes.

And the theme created for Ghostface here is incredible and very recognisable. Big horns & choir. In the film is really is menacing.

It's really clever of them to put the Suite at the bwginning of the album. It really is a great way to get familiar with the themes and then hear them in context of the score.

Action scenes are also a lot more brutal than last year's score.

Like the film explains, everything is bigger.

I might be biased because I love the film so much, but I think it's great!

3 minutes ago, JNHFan2000 said:

It's really clever of them to put the Suite at the bwginning of the album

I would wager that more film score albums exist with a suite of themes at the beginning of the album, than exist ones where it's at the end.

The Scream VI OST album that is up on the digital sites is there directly from Paramount Music, so no Varese involvement.  Theoretically a specialty label could license a physical CD edition from Paramount if they wanted to, but I question if any of the current ones would consider that to be an investment that would actually turn a profit.  I'm guessing all of them would decide that it would not, and I'm sure they'd be right.

Mondo will probably do a vinyl though :P 

Watched the film yesterday and really enjoyed it. I am a fan of the series and felt this was a very strong entry. I am glad it gives new cast more room as they're all likeable. And because a lot of it felt relatively fresh, it was a better entry than the last one. I miss Marco Beltrami though.

Karol

Same! Absolutely loved this one! I also liked Scream 5, but after seeing this one, Scream 5 got kinda weaker to me, lol!
I think this will be my third favorite (After 1 and 2)!

Just saw it. Enjoyed it. An entertaining ride. The classic beginning kill sequence was different and refreshing and well done. It hooked me right then and there. The set pieces are nicely refreshing too, with very different environments to previous Screams. 

I was shouting internally though, at the utter stupidity of the characters. I thought the last film had the most stupid people, but this was worse.

Spoilers ahead - 

E.g people with guns deciding to walk towards a dark room, instead of just standing there with your damn gun, and if the killer appears, blow his bloody head off lol. Don't walk towards them. Also there was a painful set piece where there were 5 damn characters, 5! vs 1 bloody killer and (not only is the killer completely stupid to confront 5 people directly) but then the characters all run separate ways and abandon each other haha. And directly after a scene of them all talking about being family who stick together no matter what haha. Just team up and instantly kill the guy. It's 5 vs 1 for christ sake haha.

Anyway, it was a fun film. But man people sure do love having quiet casual conversations after being stabbed and shot 32 times.

My wife and I really enjoyed Scream VI. We enjoyed the previous one too, but this was even better.

We don't watch horror movies often but I think ironically the Scream franchise might be my wife's favorite. She loves them all, even 3. Heck, I still enjoy 3 but IMO it's easily the weakest of the five. But if that's the weak link the the franchise of five films, it's really a pretty consistent franchise and I can see why they keep being successful and keep being made.

Yavar

31 minutes ago, Yavar Moradi said:

Heck, I still enjoy 3 but IMO it's easily the weakest of the five. But if that's the weak link the the franchise of five films, it's really a pretty consistent franchise and I can see why they keep being successful and keep being made.

Exactly. Even the worst Scream movie is still better than lesser entries of many other slasher franchises (Halloween, Elm Street, Friday the 13th, etc). IMHO, Scream is easily much more consistent than those.

I'd say the worst Scream movie is still better than even the middle of the road entries from other horror franchises. I can't think of a single other horror franchise which is remotely as consistent... that said I confess I haven't bothered with any of the Saw films.

Yavar

Seen it the second time earlier this week and it worked just as well. Definitely among the strongest entries in the series. They're just so endlessly watchable even if you know what's coming.

Karol

12 hours ago, LSH said:

I'm looking forward to this. I recently caught up on the last two, which I had never seen.

Any thoughts on those?

Karol

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

Freaky was a really cool movie but then We Have A Ghost was really bad, so I dunno what to expect from him next

I guess this means Scream 7 will be scored by Bear McCreary though