Cues that sound better when segued together

enderdrag64

On 02/03/2023 at 2:04 PM, A Farewell to Kings said:

It's all one cue though, so it would have had to have been edited. Which would probably have sounded off in 1980.

On 02/03/2023 at 3:24 PM, Brando said:

But it appears that way in the film? 

On 02/03/2023 at 3:28 PM, Jay said:

The real solution is that the concert arrangement he made that was first recorded for an album by Charles Gerhardt should have been recorded by JW at the TESB sessions and put on the album instead of the film cue

9 minutes ago, Manakin Skywalker said:

The problem is that those are not two separate cues, it's one long recording. They would've had to artificially fade it out after the march.

On 02/03/2023 at 3:28 PM, Jay said:

The real solution is that the concert arrangement he made that was first recorded for an album by Charles Gerhardt should have been recorded by JW at the TESB sessions and put on the album instead of the film cue

Well... NO.

1 hour ago, Jay said:

Why not?  We would have gotten the film cue in 1993 like Brother and Sister and Ewok Battle

1) I can't take that chance. And 2) That's 13 years of not having the actual cue.

The majority of the film cue is contained within the concert arrangement, you'd just be missing out of some vader stuff for 13 years really

55 minutes ago, Jay said:

The majority of the film cue is contained within the concert arrangement, you'd just be missing out of some vader stuff

Actually, it's kind of the other way around:

1:30 of the cue is Han and Leia, the other almost 2 minutes or so is Vader.

Right, but what I meant was that you'd get all the important stuff had the concert arrangement been recorded, the second part of the cue is less crucial to the architecture of the score and listening experience of the album than the love theme part

Doesn't it introduce the Dark Side motif?

It's also a flippin' awesome cue, with that moment when Williams scores the pad lighting up, and sort of adding to the ambient sound design of the room.

54 minutes ago, Naïve Old Fart said:

THE BATTLE OF HOTH.

15 minutes or so, of pure listening bliss.

That's one that I struggle with in my Grand Unified Theory of When to Split Tracks.

Argument for splitting: It's freaking long. It lives in my head as four separate tracks. (Drawing the Battle Lines, The Battle in the Snow, Rebels at Bay, Heroics of Luke and Han - Whatever Williams' original track titles are.) It's clearly (I think) several different musical ideas focusing on different characters and events.

Argument against: The music does flow together uninterrupted in the film. Dammit.

Argument for splitting these but not others: But there aren't any moments in the Hoth tracks like Stand By / Approaching the Target or Losing a Hand / Hyperspace or even Main Title / Imperial Attack where the last note of one leads specifically to the first note of the next.

The last act of Return of the Jedi is even worse!

43 minutes ago, May the Force be with You said:

Yeah that one and Carbon Freeze/Darth Vader's Trap/Departure of Boba Fett are two of the best segued together cues of Williams' scores

Yeah, that's one that I tend to keep together, even though Departure of Boba Fett stands really well on it's own. They hang together for all the reasons I listed above.

On 2/3/2023 at 3:28 PM, Jay said:

That has the disadvantage of having Leia's theme sandwiched in the middle.

The best version of that track would have no other themes - JUST the love theme.

The best version is the middle version here https://moviethemes.net/starwars.html.

The best version of that track would have no other themes - JUST the love theme.

The best version is the middle version here https://moviethemes.net/starwars.html.

34 minutes ago, TheUlyssesian said:

I LOVE that part. (I'm not just contrarian. I'm not!)

14 hours ago, Tallguy said:

That's one that I struggle with in my Grand Unified Theory of When to Split Tracks.

Argument for splitting: It's freaking long. It lives in my head as four separate tracks. (Drawing the Battle Lines, The Battle in the Snow, Rebels at Bay, Heroics of Luke and Han - Whatever Williams' original track titles are.) It's clearly (I think) several different musical ideas focusing on different characters and events.

Argument against: The music does flow together uninterrupted in the film. Dammit.

Argument for splitting these but not others: But there aren't any moments in the Hoth tracks like Stand By / Approaching the Target or Losing a Hand / Hyperspace or even Main Title / Imperial Attack where the last note of one leads specifically to the first note of the next.

The last act of Return of the Jedi is even worse!

For my fanedit I have 3m3 The Snow Battle separate, but keep the other two cue combos.

I kept Drawing The Battle Lines/Leia's Instructions because we simply don't have a clean split for it yet (as far as I'm aware, at least).  I kept Luke's First Crash/The Rebels Escape Again because I think they actually do sound better together.