Strange Arpeggios

AGiambra

In Measure 62 of Star Wars Suite For Orchestra, the 1st and 2nd strings play an arpeggio using note from a C major chord.  But the Cellos are playing an arpeggio using notes from a Db chord.  Every note in a Db chord is one half step from the notes in a C major chord.  How in the world did John Williams know that this would work?  The chord that is playing by all the instruments in Measure 62 is a Db Maj7 with an augmented 9th.  So the notes are Db, F, Ab, C and E.

This makes me crazy and I hope there is someone who can make some sense out of this and explain it.

20 hours ago, AGiambra said:

The chord that is playing by all the instruments in Measure 62 is a Db Maj7 with an augmented 9th.  So the notes are Db, F, Ab, C and E.

Just add an augmented 11th and you've got the C major chord contained in the other chord.

3 hours ago, AGiambra said:

He plays an Eb maj7 with the ninth and eleventh added,  The melody is on the eleventh.  This is followed by an Ab maj7 also with the ninth and eleventh added. 

I guess the 11th of Eb maj7 can be interpreted as an anticipation of the Ab maj7 chord.

These are times when I would give anything to be able to fully read and write music. I know these themes so well that sometimes I feel I could conduct them with an orchestra by heart, but of course not from sheet music. 

I find that I hear it like a II ~ V ~ I, isn’t that odd? Maybe it’s due to the rall plus what my ears are accustomed to (or what JW has cleverly set them up to expect).

I’m away from home, my copy of the music and a convenient keyboard to play it through on, but I wonder if the Eb > Ab works as a V ~ I (or maybe a II  ~ V in Db? Hmmm) and then the Ab > Bb just works because

1) we’re expecting the melody to resolve down a tone

2) we’re back in the tonic and

3) bVII > I isn’t t too jarring, just unusual enough to be interesting.

All just speculation, of course!

Mark

4 hours ago, Loert said:

I think this is one of those instances where "labelling" the melody line with chord symbols based on the bass line may obscure what's happening.

I think Williams knew that he wanted a climactic, "Americana" instance of the last three notes of the Mission Theme, and he decided that there was going to be some kind of extended harmony involved. And I think all that Williams did was move vertically downards from the melody line, building up the harmony that way.

For example, for the first note, we could harmonize it like Bbmaj7 with the A at the top...because we like maj7s, and it keeps us in the right key (as opposed to, say, Dmaj7, with the A on top, which would take us out of the key).

But Bbmaj7 doesn't sound rich enough. So we can keep going down, first to G (G9), then Eb (Ebmaj#11). We could still have gone down to C (Cm13), but JW didn't.

The next note might have been built downwards the same way. JW decided to stop at Ab this time, thus giving us a 13th chord, "richer" than the preceding 11th. Thus we get a buildup in harmonic richness before arriving at the tonic.

But note with the final chord, that we could have gone down to F, in which case the bass would in fact be the dominant tone. If you add the extra F at the bottom, it really doesn't sound that different from the final result (far less noticeable if you had changed the top note, for instance). So in fact it is a kind of v -> I cadence, only you can say that JW left out the bass note, thus replacing the v with a chord of somewhat air-ier, more ambiguous quality.

Anyway, this is how I would think about that passage in particular. Using chord symbols makes the most sense IMO when you have a meaningful bass line, but in this particular case I would argue that there is no "bass line" as such.

That's a really good point you made.  To analyze harmony, you have to include melody otherwise you miss context of what's happening.  How it goes from chord to chord does impact how you think of this contextually.  Music exists in a multi-planal existence...it is multidimensional like time, space, gravity, mass, energy, etc.  To understand melody, you need to keep harmony, melody, rhythm, and structure all in mind.  To understand what is happening harmonically, you need to observe melody and rhythm too.  Great point, Loert!