Why on earth would a film score ever need 230 (or 550) musicians?

Bayesian

11 hours ago, Bayesian said:

I liked the posts informing about historic examples of large musical forces in classical and film music—very interesting to read. 

Its a nice little hobby of mine. In and of itself it amounts to little more than trivia because what matter is how the forces are used: Christian Thielemann, in his book, wonders how The Flying Dutchman has by far the smallest orchestra of Wagner's works but, even after Wagner reorchestrated it tone down the brassiness, "makes far and away the most noise."

But just for sport:

Berlioz, Requiem
Wagner, Der Ring Des Nibelungen
Mahler 8
Strauss, Alpine Symphony
Schoenberg, Gurre-Lieder
Havergal, The Gothic
violins
25+25
16+16
16+16
18+16
20+20
20+20
violas
12+
violoncelli
10+
contrabasses
8+
harps
2+
horns
8+12
8+8
trumpets
4+16
4+2
7+8
trombones
4+2
5+8
tubas
4+6
4+8
flutes and piccoli
oboes
clarinets
bassoons
keyboards

timpanists
2+4
percussionists

Choir
210+
130+

200+
200+
additionals

5 cow horns
1 mandolin

And the same for a few film scores or film score cycles whose forces I know pretty well off the top of my head:

Shore, Lord of the Rings
Williams, Star Wars
Powel, How to Train your Dragon
violins
16+16
16+14
16+14
violas
violoncelli
contrabasses
harps
horns
trumpets
trombones
tubas
flutes and piccoli
oboes
clarinets
bassoons
keyboards
timpanists
percussionists
Choir
160+
150+
60+
additionals
13 Gamelan, 20 didgeridoos, approximately ten other instrumentalists (rhaita, shakuhachi, et al)
3 saxophones, cretan lyre, cumbus
approximately ten more instrumentalists (warpipes, hardinfelle et al)

Basically, I would say for a late-Romantic-styled film score, a 90-100 piece orchestra is par for the course. I'd put 120 in "large." The biggest Schoenberg, Havergal and Berlioz pieces are of about 160 players, which represents a high upper end, choir and bands notwithstanding.

1 hour ago, Brónach said:

haita comes from gaita

I speak arabic, and its sometimes a little bit hard to transliterate these things to convey the right pronounciation. Ghaita probably hits closest to the mark.

But that's a good sequitur: if the size of the orchestra is used as a shorthand for how loud it gets, a ghaita or a bagpipes gets much louder than a sizable brass section...

I intentionally didn't include some pieces meant for outdoors performance like Berlioz Grande symphonie funèbre et triomphale (which has like 30 clarinets it in) or some Wagner pieces, because that feels a little unfair.

On 26/07/2023 at 12:59 AM, Bayesian said:

I can’t wait for the PR for the score to DR Part 2. I fully expect to read that Balfe recorded a hundred-strong Slavic male choir in the bowels of a decommissioned nuclear sub. You know, so we the audience really get to understand the Entity. All in a year’s work for this brave musical pioneer.

And how they record then the music for the scenes, that take place in space.

6 hours ago, Mephariel said:

"Other composers let their music speak for themselves." Once again, this board never fails to amaze me.  

Just recently from Ludwig Göransson on Oppenheimer: “In the end, we recorded music that surpassed what I believed to be humanly possible." Balfe never said anything this bold. 

Remember Brian Tyler doing press for Those Who Wish Me Dead? In an interview for the film, Tyler talked about how he actually set fire to a cello during the score’s recording sessions, in order to provide a “unique and inspiring” sound for the movie and how it canters around the tonal idea and mortal danger of fire. This was first posted on Fimtracks and several posters immediately pointed out what a great salesman Tyler was.

And then there was Bear McCreary on Rings of Power: "I’ve been thinking about it my whole life. I formed an image in my mind of what I wanted those themes to feel like, and truly, when I wrote those themes, the only concern was if the visuals would live up to them."

Should we not mention Elfman claiming that his Batman theme was the only Batman theme? That is not pumping up his own music? 

People criticizing Balfe, Zimmer and Remote Control composers: A

Zimmer shills:

Tantrum GIFs | Tenor

2 hours ago, GerateWohl said:

There are always two ways to be extraordinary:

• The hard way: Do extraordinarily brillant (requires talent) 
  • The easy way: Do extraordinarily stupid (requires nothing)

Post of the week. And it was written on Monday. 

As many have pointed out, this is an attention-grabbing social media gimmick with no substance. It generates headlines in Variety and brings attention to the film that a score by a more talented yet less rambunctious composer would not do without the (unnecessary) spectacle. Very much part of the stunt-of-the-year philosophy that the MI films now are. I don't think the gimmick has carried much weight though outside of film music circles

• 2 weeks later...