The Imaginary Ghent Festival CD of Music of John Williams

GerateWohl

Image of Basil Shaw in Indiana Jones and the Dial of Destiny.

1 hour ago, GerateWohl said:

Imagine Dirk Bossé produced a World Soundtrack Award album for the film music of John Williams with the Bruessel orchestra. What would be your favourite album program?

Proposals?

Well not just a rehash of this...

image.png

«Spotlight on John Williams» | City Light Concerts

That said...

«A Tribute to Williams & Spielberg» | City Light Concerts

image.png

They only release albums of visiting composers, and I don't see Williams visiting the WSA at any point in the future, alas. I know they tried for many years, but nothing ever came of it.

If a CD like this did happen, however, I wish they'd exchange the Brussels Philharmonic for a smaller jazz/pop ensemble and performed suites of his 60s comedy scores.

If that's too esoteric, then suites of orchestral scores that aren't rerecorded very often, with a calmer slant. Things like STORY OF A WOMAN or STANLEY AND IRIS or THE SECRET WAYS or whatever. Or particular "sounds", like the religious/pastoral sound.

At this point in time, compilations or re-recordings featuring only the "evergreens" (STAR WARS, HARRY POTTER, SUPERMAN, INDY etc.) are boring as hell. Even the ones that try to mix in a semi-rarity or two don't do it for me. Needs to be an album of rarities and semi-rarities. 

Ok. The album would nee some Star Wars.  For that they could record the Rise of Skywalker suite. The suite from War of the Worlds, the main theme from Poseidon Adventure, A Window to the Past from PoA, Seven Years in Tibet, The Stegosaurs from TLW, the suite from Geisha and Schindler's List. Oh and a three piece suite from Dial of Destiny of course. 

But most important: No Superman March please. 

"The Imaginary Ghent Festival CD of Music of John Williams"...

Try saying that ten times fast.

I’ve always thought there was plenty of scope for a “rare and unreleased” JW album starting with his less famous mainstream works and working downwards. Suites from some of those earlier scores and tv music in decent sound and performances would be great. If JW was on board I think it would still be an easy sell as an album. 

The Japan concerts reminded me just how great of a piece Tributes is.  If DG doesn't release it, then someone show put it on an album.  It strikes me as a perfect balance between JW's concert and film styles.