BPO Williams Tribute

Tom

Do we know what the pianist performed?  I read through the Globe article and it does not mention him.  Devil's Dance was the full orchestral version.  

I suppose I want to know if The Fabelmans was premiered.  

I went to the Friday night concert; the violinist Mone Hattori also played an encore with the orchestra after her two programmed selections; it was piece written by her father who is a television and film composer in Japan.  I don’t know if they played any encores at the Saturday concert, but it doesn’t look like The Fabelmans was performed.

The one encore after the end of the full concert on Friday was The Cantina Band.

IMG_2449.jpeg

IMG_2448.jpeg

On 01/10/2023 at 6:13 AM, rough cut said:

Paywall.

I got around it by searching "pops-salute-john-williams-conjures-movie-magic/" in Google Search, and then the article was visible. I got the same paywall message at first from the link in the original post. 

18 hours ago, BB-8 said:

Why Gerschwin?

Does this imply that the JW piano concerto was planned but not ready?

There is a youth competition every year where the winner gets to play on a Pops concert.

11 hours ago, WilliamsStarShip2282 said:

There is a youth competition every year where the winner gets to play on a Pops concert.

I don't think that was the reason this pianist was there, however.  As Keith explained at the Friday concert, the Pops Esplanade Orchestra was about to head to Japan for a tour, and these artists, Hayato Sumino and Mone Hattori, would be appearing with them; as a courtesy, they brought them to Boston to perform with the orchestra ahead of time (and consequently make their North American debuts).

As for JW's piano concerto, I can't possibly imagine it being premiered at an off-season concert by the Pops' backup orchestra.

11 hours ago, Matt S. said:

I don't think that was the reason this pianist was there, however.  As Keith explained at the Friday concert, the Pops Esplanade Orchestra was about to head to Japan for a tour, and these artists, Hayato Sumino and Mone Hattori, would be appearing with them; as a courtesy, they brought them to Boston to perform with the orchestra ahead of time (and consequently make their North American debuts).

As for JW's piano concerto, I can't possibly imagine it being premiered at an off-season concert by the Pops' backup orchestra.

Well thats odd, I mean JW has written some pretty good piano pieces they could have played, why Gershwin.... but anyway highly doubt it will be premiered outside of Tanglewood since Manny Ax lives there and JW is there every summer.

Glad you enjoyed it! Cantina Band is a quirky choice for the encore, I gotta say...but for a reason I can't articulate even after living in Japan for 8 years, it seems like a perfect choice for a Japanese audience.

12 minutes ago, Mr. Hooper said:

Glad you enjoyed it! Cantina Band is a quirky choice for the encore, I gotta say...but for a reason I can't articulate even after living in Japan for 8 years, it seems like a perfect choice for a Japanese audience.

Indeed! They really ate up that encore.

I hope I don’t hear the same encore at tomorrow’s Star Wars concert!!

8 years in Japan? Nice! I originally planned to be here for 1 year but that  has now turned into 20… 😂

As you know, many expats start with that "1 year plan", that quickly turns into 2, then 8, then 20!

If I'd married, I'd probably still be there. It's already been 10 years since I've "revolved back to the world", as I call it. Would love to go back for a visit!

Maybe tomorrow's encore will be Cantina Band #2!

15 hours ago, Mr. Hooper said:

As you know, many expats start with that "1 year plan", that quickly turns into 2, then 8, then 20!

If I'd married, I'd probably still be there. It's already been 10 years since I've "revolved back to the world", as I call it. Would love to go back for a visit!

Maybe tomorrow's encore will be Cantina Band #2!

Just coming home from SW concert - no encore! But Cantina Band made an appearance though… complete with Keith Lockheart kicking into the air on the last note!!

“Revolved back to the world”… haha. I know exactly what you mean! I’m still living “the dream”… not as an English teacher luckily!

23 hours ago, AOP said:

Just came back from seeing the Tokyo performance of the JW tribute! Here’s my mini review 😊

Although I originally planned to not go to this concert as I have a policy for only seeing live concerts conducted by the original composer, I was so impressed by the last Williams concert at Suntory Hall that I promptly changed my mind. I just couldn’t get enough of those incredible Williams melodies live in concert… and to hear them being played by the world-renowned Boston Pops Esplanade Orchestra who had last performed in Japan over 20 years ago? A no-brainer!

After some introductory words (in Japanese no less!) from the conductor, the concert began with the instantly recognizable trumpet notes from SUPERMAN while a montage of movies from Williams’ extensive body of work played on large screens.

After the applause died down, one of many short video interviews with Williams appeared on the screens to provide some context to the next piece being played.

His anecdote about THE TOWERING INFERNO was as surprising as it was amusing when he mentioned that the producer only liked his music after he highlighted the producer’s name musically during the credits! Honestly, I had never really been a big fan of THE TOWERING INFERNO, but after hearing this spirited performance, I know what I’ll be listening to as soon as I get home tonight!

The suite from CLOSE ENCOUNTERS OF THE THIRD KIND was a stunning showcase of the perfect marriage between music and image. Along with a perfectly edited video montage from the film, the music went from a feeling of dread and despair to a deep sense of wonderment and elation. The audience was truly spellbound during the whole piece… you could literally hear a pin drop.

The main theme from SABRINA dazzled with its delicate piano and romantic string and flute parts. The guest pianist, Hayato Sumino, performed to perfection and received hearty applause after the piece.

After the interval, we were treated to the main theme from JURASSIC PARK. Unfortunately, the French horn player flubbed the fourth note of the opening solo... a small sour point in an otherwise excellent performance.

Together with an inspiring video montage of Olympians and their incredible achievements over the years, the sounds of the OLYMPIC FANFARE AND THEME filled the auditorium with feelings of heroism, courage and determination. I’m certainly no sportsman, but after hearing that piece, I felt I could take on the world! 

The main theme from SCHINDLER’S LIST was preceded by an interview clip of Williams explaining how he favoured the “Remembrances” theme over the “Main theme.” It was somewhat odd then that the “Main theme” was performed right after! In any case, it was a deeply moving  performance of the theme that was greatly received by the audience.

The last three pieces were from STAR WARS: “Yoda’s theme,” “Rey’s theme,” and the iconic “Star Wars: Main title.” All were perfectly performed with “Rey’s theme” being a particular standout. The clarity of the woodwind instruments during that piece really helped the piece shine. Just lovely.

The encore for the night was “Cantina band” from STAR WARS. It was a fun and vibrant performance that I’m sure put a smile on many faces… mine included! It was a perfect way to end the concert and yet another reminder that Williams has been, and always will be, the very best.

I can’t wait for tomorrow’s all-STAR WARS concert!

IMG_6578.jpeg

IMG_6580.jpeg

IMG_6581.jpeg

Thanks for the great review. Do you have a picture of the full program?

8 hours ago, AOP said:

I know exactly what you mean! I’m still living “the dream”…

It was a dream-like interval... And it was strange to come back home and pick up my life here again.

Lockhart did a high kick? That's showmanship!