James Horner's HONEY, I SHRUNK THE KIDS (1989) - NEW! 2024 Intrada Expanded Edition

Jay

Then I’m confused what you’re referring to, but it must be me simply being stupid, so never mind. 

2 hours ago, Jay said:

There were 23 cues recorded for Honey, I Shrunk The Kids.  Looking at the tracklist, this 2024 Intrada has every single one of them included and the chronological order would be:

1. 01 Main Title (1:58)
  2. 02 Strange Neighbors (1:49)
  3. 03 Test Run (2:08)
  4. 19 Grand Slam (0:32)
  5. 20 Laser Beam (0:31) {this track contains two cues}
  6. 04 Shrunk (5:38)
  7. 05 A New World (3:31)
  8. 06 A Long Way Home (3:33)
  9. 07A Bee Flight
  10. 08 The Machine Works (2:05)
  11. 07B After The Bees
  12. 09 Watering The Grass (4:13)
  13. 10 Ant Rodeo (3:45)
  14. 11 Flying Szalinski (1:59) {this track contains two cues}
  15. 12 Letting Antony Go (1:51)
  16. 13 Night Time (5:04)
  17. 14 Scorpion Attack (3:34)
  18. 15 Lawn Mower! (5:44)
  19. 16 Eaten Alive (2:45)
  20. 17 Big Russ Volunteers (1:24)
  21. 18 Thanksgiving Dinner And End Credits (5:28)

Now, track 21 "Astride The Ant", based on the name and length, appears to be the same cue that already makes up the second half of the track "Flying Szalinki".  However, it could be an alternate, or something else previously unknown to exist for this score.  It remains to be seen!

Ah I see, thanks. I was looking at old files and a document I made back in 2009 haha, so perhaps I didn't note "Flying Szalinki" having that cue within it. Strange they would have it twice, but it is Intrada. Looks like I was right about everything else, except that I didn't know "After The Bees" was after "The Machine Works". Why combine it with "Bee Flight" then when it isn't meant to be? Ugh. Again, Intrada. And if they see this, I'm sorry but it's okay to criticize. People do it to me all the time lol. Just my personal preference to not do those things, but hey it's their product.

28 minutes ago, crumbs said:

Cleaned up cover art:

HONEY COVER.png

For comparison's sake:

ezgif-3-9c1c7a3cac.gif

You’re hired!

I actually agree with Roger that iconic original art should be used when possible.  I’m sort of purist about that. The home video market is riddled with catalogue titles with revisionist photoshop crap, when stunning original art goes unused. 

That said, @crumbs your demonstration here is pretty revelatory.  I agree that every effort to polish it up and get the original artwork looking its best should be made. 

I love Jim Titus’ design work. He set a spiffy standard for clean design and use of the format.  I am not however a fan of his alterations to poster art, especially for Close Encounters, which was needlessly tweaked.  His E.T. And Jurassic Park are admirable, but I do wish reverse covers of the booklets had the original poster art. 

OR

Alternative original vintage poster art would be nice.   E.T. and CE3K both had some stunning poster concepts that never made their way onto an album cover.   It’s likely cost prohibitive, but I wonder. 

Anyways, I have upgraded titles like Something Wicked, Rocketeer, Young Sherlock Holmes and from their covers, they are indistinguishable. And that’s kinda boring. 

Anyways, on topic.  I remember buying this score first time around and there was much hoopla because it was the first time Disney opened their vaults to the specialty labels.  I remember selling it because I was less impressed with it at the time.  Since then, I’m older, and much more forgiving (or less damning) of Horner, and I’ll pick this up again. 

Never thought I’d become as big a fan of Horner as I’ve become, but when you’re exposed to more of his body of work, the recycling somehow takes a back seat to the overall spirit and enthusiasm of his music. 

Edit: We should start a thread about booklet and cover art presentation, both good and needing improvement. 

I might be alone but I've come to the conclusion that I don't like the new Jurassic covers at all. Not enough colour for one thing, but also he went for a grainy, papery look which just looks very odd to me. I thought the covers from the box were absolutely fine - a slightly tidied and updated version of the original. At the risk of provoking angry villagers further, I also don't like the expanded Potter covers for several reasons (the border, the font) but it's the music that's important.

I also agree with Roger that if there is a well known poster or imagery associated with the film, that should be used for a score, OST or otherwise. There have been occasions where LLL has gone in a totally different direction and it works, but I don't agree with changing things just for the sake of there being a different cover.

The cleaned up Shrunk cover is a nice alternative - certainly more vibrant, although I'm not sure I agree with the revised text - Horner's credit looks a bit strange to me being highlighted the same way as the title. Having said that, there could be a case that the muted colours of the original lend it a more classic look, and the colours are a tad more natural to me - I like certain aspects of Intrada's one and I like certain aspects of crumbs' version.

IMG_0263.jpeg
Original Theatrical Poster

IMG_0264.jpeg
Screen Rant Article

IMG_0265.webp
Denver Post Article

12 hours ago, crumbs said:

However, there's little doubt Intrada's cover uses a raw scan with no colour correction or digital cleanup whatsoever, which isn't accurate either. It's riddled with dirt, scratches and the white levels are incorrect (it's a dull gray). This means their source was an analogue scan which always requires colour correction (to offset decades of faded ink, for example).

These are fair comments on the original and it surprises me that Intrada wouldn't be able to obtain some sort of digital version of the original poster.

I think subjectivity is very important here, in terms of preferences between archival and newer looks, and retaining the original elements. Of course, it's entirely possible that Doug is trying to do everything, doesn't know photoshopping and considers what he's putting out as good enough - and there are fair suggestions for improvements to be made if he's blatantly lacking in basic image skills and judgements. All the things you mentioned and implemented look good.

But if perhaps their tastes are just different to Titus's (who tends to reimagine covers a lot), and they decided to retain the slightly washed out look and not fix the dirt... well I've got a bit of a thing with assuming laziness in the very first instance instead of engaging in discussion over why things were done, or not done. I think the fonts used for Dragon 2 and 3 are bad choices but I don't think the designer lazy or incompetent - we all choose and prefer different creative options.

4 hours ago, Richard Penna said:

I think subjectivity is very important here, in terms of preferences between archival and newer looks, and retaining the original elements. Of course, it's entirely possible that Doug is trying to do everything, doesn't know photoshopping and considers what he's putting out as good enough - and there are fair suggestions for improvements to be made if he's blatantly lacking in basic image skills and judgements. All the things you mentioned and implemented look good.

Wouldn't that be Kay?

49 minutes ago, Steffromuk said:

Honey, I shrunk the kids even more

Fixed.

1 hour ago, HanFiredFirst said:

And why did they feel the need to keep the artwork within the booklets for Something Wicked exactly the same? The same photos used throughout, the same rear cover, absolutely nothing to make it feel special.

Less effort needed in both creating the release and getting it through approvals, product quality be damned.

Anyone have this yet and can reflect on sound quality and etc since we don't have samples still? I decided to wait until I heard feedback.

On 06/05/2024 at 3:42 PM, HanFiredFirst said:

And why did they feel the need to keep the artwork within the booklets for Something Wicked exactly the same? The same photos used throughout, the same rear cover, absolutely nothing to make it feel special.

Comments on lack of cleaning up an archival marketing image are one thing, but complaining that they are lazy for keeping the same booklet design for a reissue? Knowing that approvals are one of the most problematic and time consuming elements, and that a reissue like this can be a good revenue stream for something more costly coming up? (imagine the last few releases have helped fund The Patriot....) Some major perspective needed here.

It's certainly different perspectives and I respect that you and others put significant stock in the quality of the liners and artwork. I'd prefer effort were put into the highest quality mastering of the music and not needing to overly worry about designing and approving an elaborate booklet.

I think your last point is key. IMO the only thing a label like them has to do is high quality audio. Attractive packaging is nice to have and highly subjective in its quality and expectations.

27 minutes ago, Holko said:

But what's the point of paying so much for a physical product if all you'll ever think of when looking at it is "well nobody gave a single shit here"? Everything should be available digitally too but if you're selling a physical product, at least make it somewhat worth owning physically.

That's exactly what I was thinking - for good or bad, if I buy a physical release I hope to have some kind of love and attention spent on that physical release. There's Qobuz and ProStudioMasters if I want just the music, but with Intrada, LLL, Quartet and Varèse I want to have something more than the merest of necessary packaging to make an investment worthwhile.

It would be far cheaper to just buy it at CD quality and not have to pay shipping, but, for me at least, owning physical media is important and so therefore is the packaging.  It gets to sit on my shelf forever, so why shouldn't it look good? Have nothing in your CD collection that you do not believe to be beautiful, as I'm sure Morris would say if he was alive. And a fan of CDs.

Am I crazy, or did this already get an Intrada release a few years back? I might confuse this with any of the other 100 Horner re-releases of the recent years.

1 hour ago, Laserschwert said:

Am I crazy, or did this already get an Intrada release a few years back? I might confuse this with any of the other 100 Horner re-releases of the recent years.

Just the original release in 2009.

14 hours ago, Holko said:

if you're selling a physical product, at least make it somewhat worth owning physically.

Especially if you’re going to charge so much for that product and expect people to buy it.

1 hour ago, Laserschwert said:

I might confuse this with any of the other 100 Horner re-releases of last year.

Fixed.