What is the last film you watched?

MrScratch

I was watching a bit of Jurassic Park the other day and noticed the CGI has aged very much as well.

However, the directing sells it, and convinces me into believing these dinosaurs are real.

hapsmall.gif

Gotta love it.

- Marc, :D

• Replies 3.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Jurassic Park was the first Spielberg movie where the FX were more important than the characters. Tell that to your professor.

----------------

Alex Cremers

Jurrasic Park. Still not a great movie, but still very, very good. The directing is just sublime. Still the greatest CGI to date. Great little vignettes through out, some delicious acting moments. If looked at from the right perspective, it's one hell of an entertaining movie.

A favorite of mine from childhood. Shockingly, while talking about special effects through the years the other day, my American Cinema professor offhandedly mentioned that Jurassic Park looks "really bad" now. I can't see how something like that can be subjective; the CG is right there in front of you, and it's still incredible and better than most anything else.

Ray Barnsbury

you can tell your professor that he's quite wrong. JP might not be a great movie, but its great entertainment, and the effects are still better than virtually anything today.

Its amazing how the first three major CGI films (the Abyss, T2, and JP) all still hold up quite well, while relatively new stuff like AOTC looks totally fake, and its state of the art???

Alex, in JP the most important characters were the fx generated Dinosaurs. And I've always found Jeff Goldblum's character facinating, as well as Attenborough's character, he's a man who has everything, and yet he's totatally unfufilled, and searching for acceptance.

Its amazing how the first three major CGI films (the Abyss, T2, and JP) all still hold up quite well, while relatively new stuff like AOTC looks totally fake, and its state of the art???

That's because those films use CGI only for what it's supposed to be used.

T2 uses CGI to create the transformations of the T-1000, NOT to create a CGI Arnie during the motorcycle chase or dumb things like that.

I think it has to do with the technique being new and used in the right way. It was new and fresh, and we were still willing to believe the effects. Once we figured out how they did it, it became easier to spot flaws in new productions. We were convinced into believing this, and we still do today.

Plus of course, the FX directing on all three films is stellar. Even though by today's standards some effects look fake (the texture lighting on the dinosaurs' skin; the T1000 coming out of the tile floor), the way these shots were handled was excellent each time. I also think that if you believe it the first time, you'll be willing to believe it 10 years down the road as well.

Today's movies are so drenched with CGI trickery (including annoying digital cinematography), seeing just a few elements done realistically does a great deal for these films. Also, nowadays part of the promotion campaign for films seems to be to air making-of's pointing out where they used blue screen or CGI. It's like challenging the audience, saying "look what we can do, you'd never guess that's fake, huh?" Then when they actually going to see the film, you'll know where to look for FX flubs.

It matters how picky you are. If you're looking for flubs, you will find them. I can easily spot the FX blends in Forrest Gump now, but I wouldn't have been able to even point out all the FX shots before I saw the making of featurette.

I recall writing something like this before, about a director and a film having to convince the audience into wanting to believe their trickery for being real. It's a hard thing to put into words, and the post is probably long buried somewhere in the General Discussion forum (must've been one of those CGI-bashing threads we had when AotC just came out). If you'd like to go out and find it, be my guest.

- Marc

Once we figured out how they did it, it became easier to spot flaws in new productions. We were convinced into believing this, and we still do today.

I don't agree. I don't know how they do it (I don't watch these featurettes), still I agree very much with this:

That's because those films use CGI only for what it's supposed to be used.  

T2 uses CGI to create the transformations of the T-1000, NOT to create a CGI Arnie during the motorcycle chase or dumb things like that.

CGI is over-used, and in many instances (the prequels) the quality isn't better than ten years ago. I guess it's because they have to make many more CGI in movies now.

you can tell your professor that he's quite wrong.  JP might not be a great movie, but its great entertainment, and the effects are still better than virtually anything today.  

Alex, in JP the most important characters were the fx generated Dinosaurs.   And I've always found Jeff Goldblum's character facinating, as well as Attenborough's character, he's a man who has everything, and yet he's totatally unfufilled, and searching for acceptance.

I....agree ;)

P.S.- AoTC's sucks no matter how much or little probing goes into it.

The Changeling. Really good movie. And it's what the makers of The Ring (or more accurately, Ringu) copied off of and sucked at doing. This is the intelligent version. Highly reccomended.

I was watching a bit of Jurassic Park the other day and noticed the CGI has aged very much as well.

However, the directing sells it, and convinces me into believing these dinosaurs are real.

Had Spielberg gone with Phil Tippett's stop-motion dinosaurs then the effects wouldn't have aged at all and we wouldn't be looking at so many films filled with absolute garbage in place of special effects.

Enemy at the Gates. Took me about half a second to recognize good ole predictable Jimmy Horner in this one.

Not an outstanding film, but if you need to kill two hours' time, this'll do it.

- Marc

It's nice that Annaud used Williams again, after Seven Years in Tibet. I just wish he hadn't hired Horner to do it.

I've wanted to see the movie again, but can't find it to rent, and it's not worth a buy. It had several stuff I remember liking, and a whole bunch of stuff I didn't (mainly Ed Harris). As you said- solid 2 hours of entertainment.

Just did a Godfather marathon with a few friends (well, the 3 films 3 nights in a row). First one is still my favorite film ever, a triumph in every possible way, perfect from the first instant ("I believe in America") to the last (closing the doro on Kay). I often when seeing the movie try to focus on one element in particular, just to get a better insight into why the film is so great, but the story is just too darn fantastic. Though I noticed some uses of the music I never did before. Perfection. The film is simply...scrumtrelescent.

I still don't understand how people could see Part II as superior to the first. It's a great movie, but a very flawed one. It has many slow scenes, and it really feels like it's 200 minutes long, and a bnch of the plot of the Michael story line is simply not that engaging.

Part III (You may be surprised to learn) is not a very good movie, but just having the two previous films' story and characters makes the film a lot better than it should be. Especialy some of the flashbacks- I find Michael's remembering his wedding to be quite powerful, even if I saw it 'live' 2 nights earlier. I guess that's because one of the movie's inherent pluses- the fact that it was really made 16 years later. What the movie is really missing is Duvall. He could've realyl elavated the movie.

(mainly Ed Harris)

He was a highlight... and the factory sniper scene was beautifully done. I bought the DVD. It's so cheap. No use to rent it when you can buy really cheap. Heck, some DVDs are cheaper buying than renting.

----------------

Alex Cremers

He was a highlight... and the factory sniper scene was beautifully done. I bought the DVD. It's so cheap. No use to rent it when you can buy really cheap. Heck, some DVDs are cheaper buying than renting.

He was out of place. The factory scene is really fantastic, but I never bought Harris as that character. (And I love Harris)

Turned to Searching for Bobby Fisher on DirecTV, saw the last third of it, very interesting movie, makes me want to go see the whole thing now

I saw After the Sunset. The critics are hating it but I had a good time with it. I laughed with it and the cast was having fun (who wouldn't, working in an island paradise and seeing Salma Hayek in multiple revealing outfits?).

Neil

Patton, first time I've seen it in years.

what a great movie, and shockingly graphic, I said before that SPR was the best war movie, but I may have been wrong.

what a great movie, and shockingly graphic, I said before that SPR was the best war movie, but I  may have been wrong.

:P

John- who takes every opportunity to agree with people who praise Patton, and do it himself. :)

what a great movie, and shockingly graphic, I said before that SPR was the best war movie, but I  may have been wrong.

That's funny, I just bought the DVD.

That's funny, I just bought the DVD.

I have the DVD twice. Got it a second time for the second DVD. One of the greatest movies ever, and one of the greatest scripts ever as well. Very different from SPR.

I remember that. I was a huge Doctor Who fan in my teen years. I'll still watch one of my old tapes of it once in a great while. I've been keeping tabs on the new series of it that's about to start, I'm actually really looking forward to it. :|

Something Wicked This Way Comes

Great childhood favorite of mine. I'm still shocked that this is a Disney movie! It is a little disturbing, and dark! Great fun though.

Cape Fear (90's Version)

Always love this film. I feel it's on par with the original (which I haven't seen in years). De Niro was awesome. Very brutal and violent but a good flick.

Friday The 13th Parts 1 - 7

I love these. Part 6 had one of the best death scenes (the girl in the sleeping back meets tree). Love Jason flicks, again...childhood fav.

The Big Lebowski

Fun FUN FUN FUN. Second time I've seen this now, and it is just good 'ole wacky Coen bros. fun!

It's a toss up tonight with either:

Eternal Sunshine..., Big Fish, Office Space, O Brother Where Art Thou, Ladykillers (Hanks vers.), Dawn of the Dead (Remake), or Watcher in the Woods... I can't make up my mind.

Eternal Sunshine. Haven't seen.

Big Fish. Very good, I loved it.

Office Space. Definately the one to see. Best of the lot. If you've ever worked at an office, you'll be amazed at how well this movie knows YOU.

O Brother Where Art Thou. Love it.

Ladykillers. I liked it. Coen Bros. fans should like it. A weak movie, but with sparks of genious, and the amazing Roger Deakins.

So......OFFICE SPACE, BY A LANDSLIDE!

I remember that. I was a huge Doctor Who fan in my teen years. I'll still watch one of my old tapes of it once in a great while. I've been keeping tabs on the new series of it that's about to start, I'm actually really looking forward to it.  :|

You and half of Britain........should never have been cancelled in the first place....only worry is though, that the guy who originally cancelled it is now back in charge! If he gets his way, this new series will not be followed up with any more......

Me too - though they screwed it all up for the Paul McGann effort - I hope it's reverted somewhat for the new series which is due to hit our screens in the UK sometime in the spring......

I love the music to Dr Who

Are you talking about the new scores by John Debney? I like that music.

Justin

He's probably talking about the main title for the BBC series written by Ron Grainer.

Neil

It made a lesser impression on me the second time around. So, no, I guess it's not the best movie ever made. It's a very good movie but once you've seen it, you've seen it. You could say it's a "surface*" movie. The best movies are the movies that keep revealing stuff each time you see them.

*Patented!

----------------

Alex Cremers

Shawshank is a very, very good movie. One of my all time favorites! This reminds me, I need to pick up that 2 disc special edition one of these days!

That, and Hudsucker Proxy, really made me enjoy Tim Robbins...... as an actor. I can't take him as a person, or his political nonsense, but he is a very fine actor.

The Ladykillers

I was expecting a bit more from this, being a Coen bros. film and all, but it was enjoyable enough once around. Tom Hanks was really good, but his acting (and must I say laugh...) starting to put me off after a bit. Still, an enjoyable movie nonetheless.

He reminded me, well possibly the teeth and the accent reminded me more than Hanks, of another actor in another movie but I can't quite place it. Amazingly enough, I really enjoyed Marlan Wayans. He made me laugh more than anyone else in this.

Next up on my Netflix queue.. is either Big Fish or Eternal Sunshine...... I'll possible watch the later since it's so late, I want to be fully awake to enjoy Burton's latest.

I think "Stand By Me" is the best 'King' movie, followed by "Misery". I would say that "The Shining" is the best, but that wasn't a 'King' movie. He has publicly denounced that film, several times, saying that it wasn't his movie but Kubricks version of his book turned into a movie.

Have you seen the tv movie that was supposedly based on the book? It was long, and semi-boring.

However....

Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind

Either I'm not in the "artsy" frame of mind, or just not in the mood......but can anyone explain what the f**k I just watched?

This was ... interesting to say the least. I kept watching it, becuase I was intrigued at how flipping strange it was! This makes "Being John Malkovich" look like "Rescuers Down Under"!

Just like that phrase.... this movie made no sense.

I think "Stand By Me" is the best 'King' movie, followed by "Misery". I would say that "The Shining" is the best, but that wasn't a 'King' movie. He has publicly denounced that film, several times, saying that it wasn't his movie but Kubricks version of his book turned into a movie.

Have you seen the tv movie that was supposedly based on the book? It was long, and semi-boring.

For now I'll say:

1) Misery

2) Stand By Me

3) Shawshank Redemption

But's it's all very close. I ranked Misery first because the second time or the third time I saw this movie, it was every bit as good as the first time. Not many movies do that. Is it the acting? The dialogue? Maybe it's the incredible chemistry of Caan, Bates and Farnsworth.

----------------

Alex Cremers

My ranking of films inspired by King books:

1. Stand By Me

2. Shawshank Redemption

3. The Shining

4. Misery

5. Green Mile

6. Secret Window

7. Hearts in Atlantis

99. Dreamcatcher

Never seen Carrie or The Dead Zone.

I bought the DVD of Adaptation on the spot, even though I never saw it. Why? Because it went cheap and I had a good "feeling" about it. Well, now that I've seen it I don't regret that I did the purchase. Two great Nicolas Cage performances in one movie! I never expected that! Who else ... Yeah! Chris Cooper was mesmerizing. What a role! Then I saw on the cover he has gotten several awards for it. Damn! An Oscar and a Golden Globe, both for best supporting actor. Good. Very good indeed! Also amazing is how Meryl Streep, while they're in that swamp place, can change a mood in one split second. Almost staggering. Watch it if you haven't already.

----------------

Alex Cremers

Never seen Carrie or The Dead Zone.

Then you have missed a treat - especially with "The Dead Zone"....

The Dead Zone was "watchable" at the time mostly because zany Christopher Walken had a part in it. I seriously fear for it now.

just my 2 cents

----------------

Alex Cremers