What is the last film you watched?

MrScratch

• Replies 3.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You'll need some patience with the second day of 24, because it takes a while for all the subplots to come together, and Jack's running after one bad guy after the next in the first couple of hours, but overall it's a solid season, better than the first, with great action, great acting (particularly from Dennis Haysbert and Xander Berkeley, who both reprise their roles from the first show), and a lot of nasty cliffhangers. The four final eps will keep you on the edge of your seat.

- Marc, who also thinks the Teri amnesia subplot was rather annoying.

8O John Barry vs. Moby - James Bond Theme (Remix)

I found Teri generally rather annoying. In fact I downright hated her! Even before that whole amnesia thing, though that only intensified my loathing. Needless to say that being a big Nina fan I was very pleased with the ending of Day 1. SCORE! But that was it for 24 for me. I skipped the second series completely. The first was one day of my life I'm never getting back and I'm not putting myself through that again.

CYPHER - who may not have entirely learned from his mistakes considering he's been watching the first series of Doctor Who on tellie lately and it's lame episodic requirements and often ridiculous cliff-hangers are starting to wear a little thin after 11 episodes... "Exterminate!" indeed! 8O

Hehe. Teri was a bit annoying, yes, but you've got to feel for Jack, though. I'm watching 24: Day 2 for the third time now, this time on Dutch TV (so I can keep up with others who watch it), which is pretty lame, actually, because the BBC is sooo much better (no ad breaks, end credits, cool previews, and 16:9 aspect ratio). But what can I say? I'm addicted.

I still have to watch U-571 and Apocalypse Now!, which I taped on Saturday, but it's pretty busy this week, with school and all, so I probably won't get to it until next week.

- Marc, who has the 24 logo for wallpaper at school.

Speaking of 24...anyone know if there's a MIDI file for the CTU ringtones? I'd like to use that as the ringtone for my mobile phone, but I'm not sure I recall it correctly, so I won't start trying to make a MIDI myself.

Marian - who likes that sound.

I watched last night the 1997 Oscar winner for Best Foreign Film, "Character". One cue from the score sounded very much like 'For Gillian' from THE FURY.

I will definitely watch the second season of 24, but not right away. I will probably wait until after Season 4 of the Sopranos, which I am eagerly anticipating.

Jeff

Watched Apocalypse Now this afternoon anyway. Great film. That's all I can say. I can't describe or reason why it's so good. It just is. That's enough a sign to show this film is as perfect as you get them.

- Marc, still a bit overwhelmed.

I saw Always, it looked like it would be a fun fireman/aircraft flick, then it turned weird, but not really bad. :(

Oh, Always was nice.

Me, I finally watched Amelie yesterday. Lovely movie, but then everything Jeunet does is good (yes, even his Alien).

Marian - who dreamed he was in Alien 5 tonight, and that it was real... :(

I watched last night the 1997 Oscar winner for Best Foreign Film, "Character".  One cue from the score sounded very much like 'For Gillian' from THE FURY.

You noticed it too, huh! For me that movie lost a star because of the copycat music. The composer probably took the temp track a bit too seriously.

----------------

Alex Cremers

I watched last night the 1997 Oscar winner for Best Foreign Film, "Character".  One cue from the score sounded very much like 'For Gillian' from THE FURY.

You noticed it too, huh! For me that movie lost a star because of the copycat music. The composer probably took the temp track a bit too seriously.

Yes, it was rather obvious! When I watch films though I try not to pay any close attention to the music, aside from Main and End Titles. I find it distracting if I try listening to music during a film. If the score stands out, good or bad, then I notice... but otherwise I try to just watch the music and let the music serve the visuals

Jeff - who is excited that this thread has well over 100 responses. Undoubtedly my most successful thread ever! Thanks! :(

Well, I've just seen two great Ridley Scott movies- Black Hawk Down and Matchstick Men.

I got the supoib 3 DVD set of BHD. The Behind the scenes is one of the best and most comprehensive I've seen. I love the score part.

This is the fourth time I've seen the actual movie- and I finally got it. At the start I didn't understand, I complained about the Sam Shepard character who 'just looks intense and says corny lines', I finally realized that that's the point- There's nothing else he could do.

The movie has great acting, action, music (I'm getting more and more frustrated with all the anti-Zimmer talk), editing, sound, cinematography, color scheme and just about everything else.

A really amazing movie, IMO the Platoon of the 2000's, and one of the absolute best war films ever made.

I saw MM in the theaters, and really loved it. A movie that really respects the audience, and is one of the few places I really love Nicholas Cage in.

I still can't believe that this is Scott/Zimmer movie. Not a single thing they did in the movie is like anything they've ever done. It really feels like Scott ghost directed it- nothing he's ever done showed that he could do a very small movie, so well, with great acting, and a totaly dialogue based screenplay, which also is the best one he's worked with.

I loved all the Bruce McGill stuff- I've loved him ever since My Cousin Vinnie. One of my favorite character actors.

I also loved the Bruce Altman stuff- he was really interesting and fun to watch.

WARNING: POSSIBLE SPOILER!

The only thing that didn't work for me was the ending. I feel it's not enough of a consolation concidering all that happened to him.

A great movie, with the best performances from everyone involved, and the best screenplay to appear in a while. A real turn for Scott, who last week I wasn't so crazy about, but now I respect him immensly. (sort of like Ron Howard and Parenthood)

• 3 weeks later...

I finally got to see Kill Bill yesterday, oh well, the first two hours of it (till "How did you find me...?"). Anyway, I liked it a lot, so much that I would care for the second round, but there'll be no to come till December since yesterday was the last screening day, sadly. There must be plenty of action and dialogue I missed while watching (was the daughter returning from school really only four?), but still I was entertained. Kill Bill must be the most penny dreadful picture I've seen, topping even Pulp Fiction and my all-time genre favorite "Blood Simple". I hate violence, but this flick is different, nothing like the dreadful Fight Club or his cousins. Even the animated parts are fun to watch.

Yes, this is not a dialogue-heavy movie, but why should it be? I love all the sword-fighting scenes, brilliantly shot and the music! Works so well with the pictures as the story unfolds. It must be a good CD, can imagine that.

R-Oman.-)

Three Good Men and A Baby a good film. I wouldn't want to watch it more than once though. Not really my type of humor. Leonard Nimoy really out did himself with directing there are some great great shots in the film. :thumbup:

Justin

It's actually just called Three Men and a Baby, but you've given me an idea for a great military comedy to star Tom Cruise, Jack Nicholson, Kiefer Sutherland and Kevin Bacon....A Few Good Men and a Baby!

The last film I watched was Mon Onlce, a 1958 Jacques Tati comedy. It's one of the funniest films I've ever seen. I would recommend it to anybody interested in great screen comedy.

Neil

:) Hello Everyone! :)

I am new in this forum but please, first of all, let me introduce myself:

My name is English, Johnny English. I am around the net at the moment trying to find a mysterious post guy who wants to steal the lastest and not (yet) in sale version of MS-DOS (if he do that and later sell the idea, you can be sure he will become rich as nobody wants more Windows!!!!!)

Well, I was just making my case more interesting. My real mission is:

To locate the Academy Award that John Williams won for ET. It dissapeared some days ago. He told me that the usual suspects were:

Jerry Goldsmith (as he said he should have won all the academy award for which he was nominated for except in 1975)

James Horner (who steals more than any composer... in music terms :P )

or

Howard Shore (who wasn't a composer at that time)

OK

I have not mission at the moment, I am the most pathetic secret agent ever! :oops:

The real thing is that I am around here just to have fun. :(

About the topic, well I wanted to say that the lastest film I watched was:

The Lord of the Rings, The Fellowship of the Ring

It is a very good movie, but I am getting desesperated because I already know even the dialogues!!! ;)

I will post again soon!

Has anyone seen the supposed ghost child in Three Men and a Baby?  Or is that just a myth?

Ray Barnsbury

I thought I read somewhere that that was just a reflection or something like that...

A Room with a View, love it love it love it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Mr. English, is it really a new person or is it another Joe? Inquiring minds want to know

A Room with a View, love it love it love it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Aha, someone with taste...there is still hope after all.

----------------

Alex Cremers

Has anyone seen the supposed ghost child in Three Men and a Baby?  Or is that just a myth?

Ray Barnsbury

I saw some pictures of it in an e-mail. Could well have been trucated. Scary to think, though.

A Room with a View is in my top 10 all time films ever made. I think I have seen it over 30 times by now easily. Maggie Smith, Helena Bottom Carter, Judi Dench, Julian Sands, Simon Callow, Denholm Elliot, Rupert Graves, Daniel Day Lewis... What a cast!

Watched today:

Raiders of the Lost Ark - DVD has good image and GREAT sound, and seeing this larger than the typical TV format for the first time was a relevation.

Twin Peaks - Lynch films typically frighten and confuse me, and this was no exception, though I guess I had even less of a chance of understanding this one since I've never seen the TV series.

Marian - who wants to see the series now.

X-Men 2, good entertainment, better than Matrix reloaded (what isn't?).

Aaah, will she be back....come and see next episode.

----------------

Alex Cremers

Last movie I saw was Les Miserables. A good movie with a however overly constructed plot line, but at least it was a long plot line.

That's the one I saw. I want to see the Lewis Milestone/Alex North one however but Poledouris had to do. :)

Finally saw three movies of the summer on the plane.

Legally Blonde 2: not bad. By the end, I was rooting for Elle to succed too.

Charlie's Angels 2: fun movie...kind of "over the top" on everything music video movie. Loved Pink's song. Pretty sad when "thin man" died, actually. And yeah, Demi looked great.

Matrix Reloaded: wasn't as bad as i thought. but every criticism i had, has already been thought of. i did like that artsy shot of Agent Smith with the crows after the Oracle meeting.

And yes, I do want to see Matrix Revolutions though...probably because it's the end of the trilogy. I'm interested in seeing the rain sequence.

The next movie I want to see....Kill Bill...

I've seen the re-cut ALIEN twice now.  It's not very good.

Neil

Twice? Not very good? What's on your mind, Indysolo? Do yesterday's initially minor changes now bring the masterpiece down?

----------------

Alex Cremers

I never was foolish enough to believe that Alien is a masterpiece. Its certainly good, but masterpiece, that would be using that word too freely.

I agree with Joe, it's certainly a masterfully crafted film, with atleast 1 unforgettable scene, (we all know which one that it :nono: ) but there are better films of that genre out there.

Stefancos- wonders which film Joe finds better, Alien, or Carpenters The Thing.

I never said ALIEN was a masterpiece.

The re-cut is not as good as the original version though. There is nothing in this new cut that makes you say, "that should have been in the movie all along", yet there are plenty of things cut from the initial film that really need to be in the movie. The new cut only validates how much better the original cut was.

And yes I saw it twice. I previewed it Tuesday night and went back with a friend Wednesday night.

Neil

I know that Joe, Indysolo, Stefancos think Aliens by J. Cameron is better. I like Aliens too but it lacks the subtleness of the first one. It's made by the director from Terminator and it shows. It's more macho, more mainstream, it has more resemblance with all bad movies trying to mimic Alien. It also looks more dated. Why? Cameron just isn't the detail freak that R. Scott is. Look at the haircuts in Aliens, for example!

All in all, Alien is regarded as a classic (don't take my word for it, search the net), and Aliens as a very good sequel.

----------------

Alex Cremers

I know that Joe, Indysolo, Stefancos think Aliens by J. Cameron is better.

I can't speak for Joe or Steef, but I know I've always preferred ALIEN.

The dialogue in Aliens is awful and dates the movie more than anything.

Neil

And Aliens has a cheesey cliched plot line...... Alien is a far better movie Neil, you're right for once. :nono: