What is the last film you watched?

MrScratch

I kind of agree with Joe here. I felt that the first one was such an action-packed opener and the second one just really seemed to drag. It certainly had some good moments (all the stuff where Uma Thurman did her training with Pai Mai or whatever his name was was fantastic!), but after the action-fest that was part one I felt number two was a let-down. The characters were really quite two-dimensional, which is fine as long as you don't try to make them into anything more. I found by the end of number two that I really didn't care what happened to Uma or David. I just didn't find the characters interesting enough to carry the kind of lengthy dialogue scenes that number two centered around. I honestly feel that Tarrantino had a story to tell. He told 80% of it in the first film, leaving just a fragment left for the second one. Then he stretched the remaining 20% so thin that the second movie is actually longer than the first! I really wish Kill Bill had been a single film the way it was originally supposed to be.

• Replies 3.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm only interested in the first Kill Bill. I saw the Japanese version, which has different shots at times, a dedication to a Japanese filmmaker in place of the Star Trek II quote and the Crazy 88 fight in color. I saw the second one once. That was enough.

Neil

also the first film seemed to build up this sense that there would be a spectacular battle between

the Bride and Bill, and it never materialized though the way she dispatches Bill is perfect. With all Carradine's training you kind of wanted more than they way he went out, still I like them both.

What the Bride does to Hannah's character is just priceless.

It saddens me that some of you people want nothing more than 2 hours of empty combat without any story. To me that seems a little shallow. The second one had so much more to offer and that made the fighting scenes more compelling. I only cared for the characters in Kill Bill Vol. 2. Consequently, I also don't like Hero or Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon. Maybe that explains it all.

----------------

Alex Cremers

you are missing the point Alex, I do want the story, in fact I wanted more, I wanted to know more why Hanzo made the sword for the Bride, what really went down between Bill and him. I wanted to know more about Bill, but not from Bill himself.

I don't like Hero or Crouching tiger Hidden dragon either, but I don't think Kill Bill is exactly that kind of film, but a throwback to the older Bruce Lee type films, some which are great films, but not in the conventional sense.

The first movie led you in a certain direction.

the second made you think you were going in the same direction, but then changed.

Its like anticipating a steak for supper, and getting very good fried chicken instead.

Well, somehow the press is equally fond of both movies (Rotten Tomatoes). But hey, didn't the press love Spider-Man II also?! ROTFLMAO

For the first time in my life I watched Patton (1970). I don't see what the fuzz is all about. If it wasn't for the stellar performance of George C. Scott, where would this movie be? Not that the movie is bad, mind you, but I certainly expected more.

----------------

Alex Cremers

It saddens me that some of you people want nothing more than 2 hours of empty combat without any story. To me that seems a little shallow. The second one had so much more to offer and that made the fighting scenes more compelling. I only cared for the characters in Kill Bill Vol. 2. Consequently, I also don't like Hero or Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon. Maybe that explains it all.

The problem I have is that they are two totally separate films that have a few characters in common and that's it. They feel completely different and I prefer the first one. It's a tight action movie. The second one is flabby and could have been cut. It has some good moments, but it's nothing like the first movie. It would be like getting Hanover Street as the sequel to Raiders of the Lost Ark.

Neil

It would be like getting Hanover Street as the sequel to Raiders of the Lost Ark.

ROTFLMAO

Or AOTC as the prequel of the great Star Wars saga. LOL

no wait...sadly it is... ROTFLMAO

It's a tight action movie.

Tight action? From the likes of Tarantino I expect more than just "tight action". What's more, the acrobatic fighting wasn't as impressive as some of the real oriental stuff I've seen. And honestly, "acrobatic fighting was all I saw in Kill Bill Vol. 1.

"Kill Bill Vol. 1 is better than Kill Bill Vol. 2 because the first one had more action scenes", is one of the many hollow phrases one can read on the net. If the amount of action determines the quality of a movie then ROTJ must be better than Star Wars. I vote for Kill Bill Vol. 2 because the acrobatic fighting isn't the film's main focus. Honestly, I rather watch Esteban Vihaio admittedly long-winded monogue than any given scene from Kill Bill Vol. 1.

----------------

Alex Cremers

Tight action? From the likes of Tarantino I expect more than just "tight action". What's more, the acrobatic fighting wasn't as impressive as some of the real oriental stuff I've seen. And honestly, "acrobatic fighting was all I saw in Kill Bill Vol. 1.

"Kill Bill Vol. 1 is better than Kill Bill Vol. 2 because the first one had more action scenes", is one of the many hollow phrases one can read on the net. If the amount of action determines the quality of a movie then ROTJ must be better than Star Wars.

Don't put words in my mouth. I never said anything so ridiculous.

Neil

The real problem with Vol 2 has already been mentioned by others above, but I'll attempt to put it into my own words. These two films are just too different from each other. The second one does not feel like an effective sequel to the first. Vol 1 set up a certain pace and style which vol. 2 almost completely ignored. For two films to work well as a single story there must be a little more pacing connection. If the style of the two movies had been reversed and the first was the slower, more thoughtful and less action-based film then I would have been disappointed with the second for the same reasons, a lack of cohesion. I honestly feel that my problems with Vol.2 stem from the fact that I felt a little cheated. Vol.1 set up a certain kind of sequel that wasn't made. I'm not saying that every sequel has to be a carbon copy of the original, far from it! Most of the best sequels out there take on a new direction. I just don't think the characters were nearly interesting or real enough to warrent such a complete and sudden change in Vol 2.

I was very happy with vol. 2. Being a sucker for sequels, I saw vol. 2 in theatres despite of my disliking of vol. 1 (which I also saw theatrically). Volume 1 was waaay to over the top for my liking, and it missed the great dialogue writing Tarantino showed off in earlier films. Volume 2 is much better, IMO, and does not really so much on volume 1 that you'll have to see volume 1 first. This makes volume 2 a good film on its own, and allowed me to completely ignore all the silliness and suckiness of the first film. There's some gimicky filming in this movie, but I liked how the story unfolded and I found the final confrontation between Bill and The Bride much more interesting and dramatic than the mindless gory choppings of the Blue Lotus fight.

They cut a scene from the picture where we saw Bill showing off his skills. I think it was a flashback scene or something, and there's a few shots of it in the trailer. I understand it's on the DVD, but I've never seen it myself. On the one hand it's a bit disappointing we never got to see this guy do what he apperently did best, but I felt that it was established well enough within the story itself that you didn't have to actually see it. And David Carradine rocked in this film. After The Bride has ruthlessly killed all of her adversaries, Bill hardly blinks when she steps into his house.

I really enjoyed the slow-paced second film much more than the craziness of the OOT first film.

- Marc

"Kill Bill Vol. 1 is better than Kill Bill Vol. 2 because the first one had more action scenes", is one of the many hollow phrases one can read on the net. If the amount of action determines the quality of a movie then ROTJ must be better than Star Wars.

Don't put words in my mouth. I never said anything so ridiculous.

Neil

Mmm, not you, Neil, but you came close.

I watched Jaws for the first time and thoroughly enjoyed it

ROTFLMAO

No surprise that you enjoyed it, but you're just getting to it???

Neil

My mom wouldn't let me watch it when I was younger, she was traumatized when she first saw it apparently

She went so far even as to hide the VHS tape of it so I went out and got the DVD recently for no apparent reason

I watched Jaws for the first time and thoroughly enjoyed it

Max

This movie is almost 30, its one of Cinema's greats. It holds up so well. Glad you finally got around to it.

Now, don't be afraid to watch Jaws 2. Its not anywhere close to Jaws in quality, though it does feature some effective scares, truely great film music, and a top notch performance by Roy Schieder.

Jaws 3 and 4 have nothing really to offer, some here like the music, but its not enough to watch the films.

I expect now you've seen Jaws you'll be wanting to check out all the sequels. A word to the wise: don't. :pukeface:

LOL

Mirko - laughing at Max seeing Jaws in 2005 for the first time, but having nothing at all to laugh because he watched Star Wars in 2005 for the first time. Duh.

Every year around Academy Award time I try to catch some Oscar winning films. I was a little late this year, but I did watch Gentleman's Agreement (1947, Best Picture, Director, Supporting Actress), and Come Back, Little Sheba (1952, Best Actress) over the weekend.

Sheba was quite moving, a much better film in my opinion than The Lost Weekend, both of which deal with alcoholism. Although Shirley Booth won the Oscar for Best Actress, I though it was Burt Lancaster who gave the best performance and he wasn't even nominated.

Agreement was an intriguing look at anti-Semitism in the 1940s, but didn't handle it nowhere near as well as To Kill A Mockingbird did in taking on racism in 1962. It came off as much too preachy, whereas Mockingbird was and still is a beautifully told story.

Jeff

I'm just not that fond of To Kill a Mockingbird, to me its so cliche, and the performances range from excellent to quick turn the channel.

The Manchurian Candidate, a really good film, how did they not nominate Liev Schrieber and Meryl Streep.  Playing evil is so much harder than the actors are ever given credit for.

The end was a bummer. But Schreiber was fantastic, and Streep was great. I also liked the score a lot.

I'm just not that fond of To Kill a Mockingbird, to me its so cliche, and the performances range from excellent to quick turn the channel.

I agree, I'm not too fond of the movie either.

@Kill Bill: I'm with Alex on this one. I loved the second movie, while the first one was fun and mostly forgettable. The two parts are not really connected, and I'm happy about that, since the first part would really drag down the second part. IMO, the second part is a real child, while the first part is just a masturbatory exercise. Though the Twisted Rune scene is a modern classic. I only wonder what it would've been like with the JW music.

IMO, the second part is a real child, while the first part is just a masturbatory exercise.

You mean that part 1 was Tarrentino working on his own, but part 2 was more of a collaborative effort? :P

The one thing I really liked about Jaws was the kinds of shots Spielberg used were ingenious (The above shot of the shark silhouette moving towards that guy on the boat) and just were never used back then (Showing the shark actually come up and kill the kid with the spurting blood, no exaggerated sound effects or music) Plus the deleted scene with Shaw singing next to the clarinet kid is priceless.

Also in regards to Manchurian Candidate, I agree that Liev should've been nominated. One of the better films of last year that shouldn't be overlooked plus Portman's score is excellent

I just finished watching:

Halloween: The Curse of Michael Myers

(aka Halloween 6)

I watched the Producer's Cut of the above.

IMO, the P-Cut IS Superior. Of course I see why they changed it because of Donald Pleasance's untimely passing.

If you see the P-Cut you do realize that they needed him if they did indeed do a sequel.

As I was searching the 'net today I found it on the web.....

In mediocre quality but if you have an interest....and a decent internet connection here is the site:

www.halloweenflash.com

Click on "Enter".....

Then "Halloween 6"...

Then "The Curse of Michael Myers"...

Then "Flash Clips"

Then click on the icons below "P CUT MPEGS"

If you have seen the movie and just want to see the original ending click on the final image/link (Bottom Left).

I didn't post a review of the above because:

1. My opinions should mean nothing to you

2. I don't think my opinion is the only valid one

3. I like the halloween movies and, therefore, my opinion would be extremely biased

4. Also, I have not watched enough movies to say what is bad and what is good. (Well at least not enough to say something critically....like some here attempt.)

And if you don't particularly like horror movies well do not see the clips. I ,myself, admit that I still am confused about the ending. But this could be because there is no sequel to really say what happened in the P-Cut.

Also note: Neil if the above is not allowed please inform me.....

Thanks.

I watched the clips again.......(H6 P-Cut)

Man do those hallway shots rule....the lighting, the sirens, the music.....The Tommy and Myers confrontation.

Warning: Tommy does cut his hand but it is part of the ritual.

This is my favourite non-violent finale (in a Halloween movie) .....unless you assume Wynn was stabbed and left for dead and his words to Loomis were his last.

"It's your game now Dr. Loomis."

But ROTJ is better than ANH.

ANH gets pretty boring while they are walking through the death star.

And according to you Battlefield Earth is a good movie. That pretty much sums it all up.

Neil

I agree with Alex Cremers here......

It is also quite funny that you guys keep on arguing about something that each of you will never see the other person's view.....

Therefore,

This bickering is pointless unless, of course, you just want the rest of the board to take sides. In which case its a waste of others time as both of you will not give up and take the others opinion as yours.

I highly reccomend you guys move on.......and find something more original to bicker over.

Or at least something different.

thats easy to say with 41 posts, its harder to do when you have over 20000 posts between 3 people, and this is a open forum so if they want to hash it over and over, they have the right.

Btw EricCarl, would you like to have a discussion about A.I., I don't believe I've forced my opinion of that film down your throat, you being a newbie and all. ROTFLMAO LOL

I think what you are saying Joe......

BUT they keep on arguing about the same thing over and over again......

This is of course the problem with ALL Message Boards. There is only so much that can be argued over before it gets back to an old topic.

Case in Point - Thor at FSM constant arguing that shorter albums are a better representation of the score. Which can be argued FOR-EV-ER with no one changing their own opinion.

Just like the constant A.I. arguments or the Star Wars debates here at JWFan.net Everybody does not want to give in to others opinions as if it shows a break in their character.

"A break in their character"........Why is anybody worried about how others view them if they will more than likely never meet in real life? People here more than likely have never met outside of a concert or what not.

Just like people at another board I visit....They will never meet unless they go to a convention.

I am sorry but arguing your whole on something as insignificant as movies.

The board does not allow topics on Religion, Politics and many other things.......

So the board has become a place that focuses on things like opinions about movies and scores. This board is very dry because of these guidelines and would make for a better (or at least more interesting) board.

Of course this comes from a guy with 42 posts. For all you know I could have been banned and have come back under another Screen Name.

In short Joe I find it odd how no matter how far topics go it always get brought back to opinions that have been established and repeated over and over again. Is this some inter-board politics that attempts to get new people to join their side and therefore since more believe in their opinion it is right? Just a question.

And in case you are wondering this is not a personal attack......Just an opinion. You should be able to understand that my opinion will not change like everybody else here.

Anyways......sorry to interrupt YET ANOTHER insightful topic on opinions on certain movies that have been discussed at length before.

Peace.

Yeah, it's not as exciting as all that time wasted wandering around on Endor playing with Ewoks. :roll:

Jeff

This board is very dry because of these guidelines and would make for a better (or at least more interesting) board.

It's almost April Fools. ;) :spiny: :spiny:

Justin - 8O

Speed. Definitely a classic within its genre. Best action movie since Die Hard. It surprised me that in this "movie about a bus" that runs for about 105 minutes from opening logo to the start of the end credits, we spend only about 60 minutes dealing with the actual bus bombing itself.

I had a lot of fun watching this. On the Die Hard commentary production designer Jackson DeGovia (sp?) mentioned he uses the yellow/black stripes pattern a lot. It pops up in Die Hard and Die Hard with a Vengeance and he mentioned he used it in Speed as well. But heck, it's all over the place. I lost count of how many times I saw it, but I had a lot of fun spotting all the times it popped up. I felt like I was in on it. ;) Usually the kind of production design that gets the attention is the really big stuff with huge sets on a massive, epic, scale, but I was surprised to see how much work is put into all these elements that seem thrown away on the screen, but have all been thought about ahead. Pretty neat.

Reeves is servicable, but not great, Hopper is awesome and goes slightly over the top (though nowhere as outrageous as his performance as Vwicktorrr Drrrazhen), but the real standout performance is Sandra Bullock's. It's too bad she got type-cast as girl next door ever since. I was also surprised to see Richard Schiff in a bit role. He was Eddie Carr in TLW, but here he didn't have any lines. He was the subway driver that gets shot by Dennis Hopper.

- Marc

Speed is a great action movie, altought I prefer the Die Hard trilogy, probably because of Bruce Willis' presence.

Good score my Marc Mancina, by the way. His score for Bad Boys was damn great. He's a guitarist. I'm a guitarist. So maybe I can score a movie someday too. ;)

It's not a rock song...is just the main theme, with some electric guitar in it...;)

I was talking about the score in Bad Boys, by the way. I don't remember the Speed score so well at the moment.

Dude, no. It's a rock song called "Speed." It actually has lyrics along the lines of "Speed/Make it bleed/It's what I need" or something like that. It sucks. I wanted to hear more of the score. ;)

Yeah, I remember now that awful song...in fact Bad Boys ends with a mix or rap songs. Anyways, every movie should end with a good score medley...

Sorry if I talked about Bad Boys when you was talking about Speed.

This board is very dry because of these guidelines and would make for a better (or at least more interesting) board.

It's almost April Fools. ;) :spiny: :spiny:

Justin - 8O

You know what I mean........The board would be more interesting if these topics were allowed.

Instead we are on a board that does not allow discussions on Politics and yet the board thrives on them.

When I think about what I wrote I do believe it was too harsh but face it, its true! And is true for all Message boards.

I may be the April fool but who is the year-round fool??

Anyways, how about that H6 P-Cut I mentioned earlier??

Anybody watch it for those magnificent camera angles? The lighting? The hallway shots?

Yeah, I remember now that awful song...in fact Bad Boys ends with a mix or rap songs. Anyways, every movie should end with a good score medley...

That's okay. I'll be watching Bad Boys this weekend too. ;)

That's okay. I'll be watching Bad Boys this weekend too. :spiny:

That's a great choice! ;)

Bad Boys for me is one of these rare films that I can't get sick of them. I can watch to it 30 times and enjoying it like the first time.

Like the Indy trilogy, of course. :spiny: