What is the last film you watched?

MrScratch

• Replies 3.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

No no no wait...I'm not rating it as the Indy trilogy.

I wanted to say that Bad Boys is of this films that you can watch hundred of times, without getting sick of it. You love it everytime.

A normal movie, you love it the first time, you enjoy it the second, you get annoyed the third time, you dislike it the fourth time.

I watched the Indy films at least 20 times, and I still love them like the first time.

And I don't rate Bad Boys 1-2 as guilty pleasures, because Mike and Marcus rules and the movies were blockbusters. ;)

Clue: The Movie.

Not really that funny. Except the last line, "Now if you'll excuse me gentlmen I'm going to go home and sleep with my wife."

Les Miserables.

Wonderful film. Some great suspense and drama. I can't praise Basil Poledouris enough for his score. One of his finest scores.

Justin

The board would be more interesting if these topics were allowed.

Instead we are on a board that does not allow discussions on Politics and yet the board thrives on them.

When I think about what I wrote I do believe it was too harsh but face it, its true! And is true for all Message boards.

I may be the April fool but who is the year-round fool??

If you don't like it here, then please go elsewhere. Complaining isn't going to change anything, I can promise you that and no one is forcing you to be here. These are the conversations permitted here. You should have realized that before registering.

Neil

Clue: The Movie.

Not really that funny. Except the last line, "Now if you'll excuse me gentlmen I'm going to go home and sleep with my wife."

I've always liked this one. It's a great "zippy dialogue" movie. Plus, with Christopher Lloyd, Tim Curry, Madaline Kahn, etc, how can you go wrong? And I love the multiple endings. :folder:

The board would be more interesting if these topics were allowed.

Instead we are on a board that does not allow discussions on Politics and yet the board thrives on them.

When I think about what I wrote I do believe it was too harsh but face it, its true! And is true for all Message boards.

I may be the April fool but who is the year-round fool??

If you don't like it here, then please go elsewhere. Complaining isn't going to change anything, I can promise you that and no one is forcing you to be here. These are the conversations permitted here. You should have realized that before registering.

Neil

Yes I "realize" that Neil. It is an observation.

If you read my posts here you would have "realized" that as well.

All forums go back to the same arguments.

The problem here (at JWFan.net) is that they almost come back every week. But if to be accepted here means that I have to argue weekly on the same thing and to have my posts actually read than maybe I should act like a sheep.

That is if I want to be accepted here.

Anyways, how about that Halloween 6 P-Cut?? What are your opinions on the previously mentioned clips.

More specifically Mins. 6.5 - 11.5 (I think) of the last clip?? It makes for a better ending than the T-Cut. (IMO of course.)

EricCarl, you were not here in the Dark Times, before Ricard in his infinate wisdom spoke the Rules for us.

Therefore your opinion is based on ignorrance.

I have lived through the Darkness and survived, I wish not to have live though it again.

The Rules are Holy and final, and may not be gainsaid by mortal Man.

EricCarl, you were not here in the Dark Times, before Ricard in his infinate wisdom spoke the Rules for us.

Therefore your opinion is based on ignorrance.

I have lived through the Darkness and survived, I wish not to have live though it again.

The Rules are Holy and final, and may not be gainsaid by mortal Man.

It seems you did not get my point...

Lets move on.....

And talk about our opinions on movies and be ignorant of the world around us. The one that lives by politics.........Much like this messageboard.

Don't even question if this site runs on politics or not. The fact that people want their name on a site saying that they helped out this site proves it.

If you realize that you have lived through the Darkness than truly you must understand it still lurks.

I am pretty sure you are in the Dark about something right at this moment.

But lets not make this a philosophical debate.

Lets not push the boundaries and not start conversations about other things that are all subjective.

Lets keep it to movies and the belief that nothing on this site is political.

Lets all live in that Darkness.

Lets get back to the discussion of movies where more than 50% of the time the opinions have already been spoken.

Anyways, how about that H6 P-Cut?? Is it better than the T-Cut (for those that have seen that one already)?? Do you like the original ending better than the one slapped on to the T-Cut??

(If you noticed I did not say "Do you think it is the best movie you have ever seen?". I realize that on this board it will never be.)

And talk about our opinions on movies and be ignorant of the world around us. The one that lives by politics.........Much like this messageboard.

Now there's a good lad.

Don't even question if this site runs on politics or not. The fact that people want their name on a site saying that they helped out this site proves it.

What does that prove?

That people are proud that they contributed to something they care about, how does that constitute politics?

If you realize that you have lived through the Darkness than truly you must understand it still lurks.

Of course, that's why we have Neil to take care of that for us.

I am pretty sure you are in the Dark about something right at this moment.

Is that an attempt at an insult?

Lets not push the boundaries and not start conversations about other things that are all subjective.

Are there not other places were you can do that, if you so wished?

Lets keep it to movies and the belief that nothing on this site is political.

If you think this site is about movie then you should take your head out of your ass and whipe the poop from your eyes.

Lets get back to the discussion of movies where more than 50% of the time the opinions have already been spoken.

As apposed to political debates, or debates about Religion, were new and fresh arguments are presented every day?

:? What's this all about, fellas? This is the thread where we talk about the last film we've seen and you're smearing it. Please, take it some place else.

Anyways, how about that H6 P-Cut?? Is it better than the T-Cut (for those that have seen that one already)?? Do you like the original ending better than the one slapped on to the T-Cut??

Perhaps nobody cares.

If you have to repeat your comments 30 times and people still don't respond, that's usually a good indicator that nobody has anything to say on the subject.

I did not attempt to insult you. I am just saying that I am in the dark about this and you are more than likely in the dark about something else.

If you may have noticed this is the other topics section and in a thread about movies.

As mentioned MANY times before a lot of the topics in GD do not pertain to John Williams... but rather Film music in general (well most of them).

And to be fair to the rest of the board I will not post anymore posts about this Board in this thread.

Women are always right because they never back down....

This time though she is right and I accept that.

<<Backs down. On the politics and the H6.

And now back to the discussion at hand: Movies.

YAY!!!

Yes. Well. Whatever.

I just watched the Director's Cuts of Lethal Weapon and Lethal Weapon 2. I will now watch the Director's cut of Lethal Weapon 3 and the theatrical cut of Lethal Weapon 4 later tonight. :|

Unbreakable, to me this is still M. Night's best attempt. However, the kid (his cry-baby son) scenes are so terrible that they bring down the whole movie. I also noticed that the significance of water and the usage of capes are recurring elements in Shyamalan's films.

----------------

Alex Cremers

I love Unbreakable. So many people were disappointed with it, especially since it was hyped to the hilt as "from the makers of The Sixth Sense," but I really enjoy it. I like how Shyamalan's pacing in all his films is low. He dares to take pauses and I like that. I also like that Unbreakable is basically a superhero/comic book movie, but without the SFX extravaganza and blown-up characters. Wonderful film, and like you said his best yet (with The Sixth Sense coming in second).

I've been very lucky with the films I've seen recently. The Searchers (I couldn't help but compare the first half to Star Wars instictively - and it was a comparison of which it didn't come out too well); Mystic River and North by Northwest. I might watch a movie this evening, so I'll have to choose carefully so as to not spoil the roll I'm in.

I also like that Unbreakable is basically a superhero/comic book movie, but without the SFX extravaganza and blown-up characters.

It was meant to be a trilogy. Too bad this won't be happening, the masses rather wanna see another Ninja Turtles instead.

Unbreakable, to me this is still M. Night's best attempt. However, the kid (his cry-baby son) scenes are so terrible that they bring down the whole movie.

Unbreakable is my favorite Shyamalan film. I wouldn't say the kids scenes bring the movie down, but the scene where he pulls a gun on his father is absurd. However, I absolutely love the scene where David points out the newspaper headline to his son. Delicately handled and quite moving, kind of reminds me of the part in Jaws with Scheider and the kid making faces at each other. No dialogue, just a nice father-son moment.

The son is an essential character, he's an extenstion of the Bruce Willis character. He's part of Davids motivation. A grown man would immediately dismiss Elijah's rants, as David does at first. Only through Elijah's persistent attempts to persuade David and the sons persistent belief in Elijah are the events allowed to transpire in a fully believable way. In any other movie by any other director, it wouldn't take much convincing before Bruce Willis is off saving the world.

This is where Shyamalan's pacing is most effective, it is quite some time between Elijah and Davids first encounter to the point that David actually believes. In the meantime, the subplot between David and his wife develops.

It's a great origin story that would probably work great as a continuing comic series but not as a movie franchise.

Jeff

The Searchers

Is that the one where the guy named Ethan wants to kill some woman because she became an Indian?

I believe there's an interaction of this type involved:

INDIAN WOMAN: Go, Martin. Please!

ETHAN (pointing his gun at the Indian woman): Stand aside, Martin.

MARTIN (shielding the woman): No you don't, Ethan. . . . Ethan, NO YOU DON'T!

ETHAN (advancing toward the Indian woman): Stand aside.

:)

But maybe it's good.

~Sturgis

I just saw "The Jacket" at the theatre. Not a bad little film at all. Adrien Brody great as ever. Kiera Knightly (in the nude!). A nice mind-bender of a plot. All in all a solid 7.5 out of 10. My problem lies mainly in the last shot inside the car. The preceding shot told the audience all it needed to know, but the producers stuck in a really ham-fisted final scene which was so horribly predictable that it left me with a nasty taste after what was otherwise an excellent film. It's like the producers wanted to ram home to the audience what the ending meant. It just really annoyed me. Has anyone else seen this? What do you think?

I've been getting caught up on my Stallone action films. I saw Nighthawks, Cobra and First Blood. Nighthawks was the best of them, since Sly was not indestructible in that and seemed quite human. It was intriguing and well made throughout. Cobra was a big dumb 80's action flick whichseemed more like a vanity piece for Sly and then wife Brigitte Nielsen. Still it was short enough to be harmless and the prescence of two Dirty Harry alumni (Andrew Robinson and Reni Santoni) made it possibly even fun to watch. The commentary with the director was dreadful however and I had to turn it off after about 5 minutes. First Blood was not at all what I expected and I really enjoyed this one, too. It wasn't constant explosions and Goldsmith score fit the film like a glove. Okay, that pare wasn't that shocking to learn.

I also watched the new Star Trek: First Contact DVD and had a great time with the Jonathan Frakes commentary track. It may not be the most informative ever, but he really enjoyed making this movie and he enjoys the movie, so it's really easy to picture him sitting on your couch with a beer watching this movie with you. The fact that he has nothing but praise for Jerry and Joels music doesn't hurt either.

Neil

Back to the Future

followed by

Back to the Future 2

followed by

Back to the Future 3

Brilliant to watch them all in one sitting, after the second movie I felt like I'd been watching at least four movies already. I'm also getting the feeling that these movies get better with every viewing...or at least the first two do, the third seemed to lose a bit in that context.

Marian - Back from Back to the Future.

I watched both X-Men and X2 yesterday. I really like how they connect so very well. I really hope X3 will be good without Singer.

I doubt it very much. After all, what's Terminator without James Cameron?

----------------

Alex Cremers

Indeed. Although Singer wasn't one of the writers.

I like the original best, though. While Singer and Ottman deftly handled the ensemble nature of the movie, I still felt the film lacked a central character. In the first one it was clearly Wolverine, but here everyone's all over the place. It's still a wonderful film and the editing is excellent, but I just noticed this.

Also, Michael Kamen's score for X-Men is severely underrated IMO. I've enjoyed from the first time I saw the film. His themes are beautiful (I love Wolverine's relationship theme, heard in full force at the end of the Liberty Island sequence) and what I like so much about it is that he scored the characters and emotions instead of the heroism and action bombast.

- Marc

... and what I like so much about it is that he scored the characters and emotions instead of the heroism and action bombast.

Mmm, yes, maybe that's why I dig the X-Men movies. I must say, I'm really anticipating Singer and Ottman's take on Superman.

----------------

Alex Cremers

Saw Sneakers. Superb flick. Even thoguh I know most of the jokes by heart, I'm constantly surprised by how well written and delivered the screenplay is. And Jamie's score is also great, despite the bad Conspirators rip.

Back to the Future

followed by

Back to the Future 2

followed by

Back to the Future 3

Brilliant to watch them all in one sitting, after the second movie I felt like I'd been watching at least four movies already. I'm also getting the feeling that these movies get better with every viewing...or at least the first two do, the third seemed to lose a bit in that context.

Marian - Back from Back to the Future.

I recently did this. It's a great way to watch the films. :D

I recently watched,

The Terminator. A brilliant, but very '80's, thriller. Much of it borders on Horror but there is no mistaking this movie to be a pure thriller from beggining to end with a steamy love scene thrown in for good measure. ;)

I'm not sure which I prefer T2 or this film.

Alien - Director's Cut. Meh meddling with a classic film. Not improved but it's still a watchable version.

The Incredibles. What a wonderfully fun film. Visually it's stunning the 100 Mile Dash is an incredible sequence as is Missile Lock. Both of which are fantastic with Giacchino's Music.

Star Trek - First Contact. There is no doubt about it now. This is my favorite Star Trek film. It's also the only TNG film which I have no serious grips about. With the other TNG it always seems like some element could be better or explored more. With First Contact everything just clicks into place. It's also the only Trek film with no deleted scenes which shows how strong the writing is.

Justin - Who also enjoyed the Frakes commentary. :)

The Terminator. A brilliant, but very '80's, thriller. Much of it borders on Horror but there is no mistaking this movie to be a pure thriller from beggining to end with a steamy love scene thrown in for good measure. :D

I thought the scene mentioned does not look real. MEH.

(Yeah and Arnie taking out his eye looks realistic. :roll: )

It is good though.

The whole T vs. T2 is interesting.........but only if you talk to people who understand that the first did not cost anywhere near as much as the second did. And of course has less "Special Effects." Then it leads to a good debate.

Lots of movies.

Stepford Wives

I thought it was great. It's a nice funny movie with good moments and not so bad ones. The socialogical undertone is very well hidden and beautifuly portrayed in subtly.

iRobot

I really enjoyed this movie. Before watching it i thought it would be a bland action movie. Like Stepford Wives it has its moments. It's a very fun movie to watch with some great action scene. I like the score too, quite fitting. Sunny was the most interesting character out of the whole movie, plus his fight scene was hot.

Mystic River

This movie is very good however it didn't diserve the praise it got. Clint's direction isn't even noticable, there is nothing exceptional about his work.

Mystic River  

This movie is very good however it didn't diserve the praise it got. Clint's direction isn't even noticable, there is nothing exceptional about his work.

"Clint's direction isn't even noticable"

Haha, HPFAN_2, you probably don't even realize it but that's about the highest praise a director can get! Man, it baffles me how subtlety always seems to go by you. Like many of your generation, modern cinema truly has saturated your senses. If someone doesn't shout it your ears don't pick it up.

I, Robot is made for the people of your generation.

----------------

Alex Cremers

Clint Eastwood has been employing a rather new and experimental directional technique of pointing the camera towards the actors and let them tell the story.

This guy does not even allow his DP to violently shake the camera around to get that gritty, realistic hand held feel.

Nor does he let his editor use the one cut every second approach.

Let's just hope it doesn't spread fellas.

Clint Eastwood has been employing a rather new and experimental directional technique of pointing the camera towards the actors and let them tell the story.

It's not even new, as you're suggesting, but it's certainly a fresh breeze in these Van Helsing times we're living.

----------------

Alex Cremers

Saw Sneakers. Superb flick. Even thoguh I know most of the jokes by heart, I'm constantly surprised by how well written and delivered the screenplay is. And Jamie's score is also great, despite the bad Conspirators rip.

Absolutely brilliant, in every respect.

Tahiti is not in Europe!

Marian - :D

The Ring 2

Crappy sequel. No effort went into this at all. Just a stupid ploy to get people into theaters for a second time.

Team America: World Police. My oh my, this movie was hilarious. I can't wait to see the unrated version. LOL

Before the movie started the teaser for Episode III was shown. It was pretty neat to see it on the big screen, but the coolest thing of all was seeing Alec Guinness and Luke walking towards the setting suns projected on the theatre screen. Man, do I want to see this movie in the cinema.

- Marc

Like many of your generation, modern cinema truly has saturated your senses.  I, Robot is made for the people of your generation.

So some people can't have an opinion of their own or have an understanding and an apprieciation for good filmmaking just because they're from a certain generation?

~Sturgis

Clint Eastwood has been employing a rather new and experimental directional technique of pointing the camera towards the actors

I think I've seen that before. :mrgreen:

~Sturgis

Like many of your generation, modern cinema truly has saturated your senses.  I, Robot is made for the people of your generation.

So some people can't have an opinion of their own or have an understanding and an apprieciation for good filmmaking just because they're from a certain generation?

That's what I said. You catch on quick! Some call them the MTV generation. I suppose there's also a Playstation generation. They are used to flickering paces with lots of action and rude sensory excitement. The Potter films are a good example. Just like Van Helsing, each scene is injected with at least one "event" to tickle their minds. But this is old news.

----------------

Alex Cremers

The Potter films are a good example.

Bullocks. To compare something like Harry Potter with that utter turd that is Van Helsing is absolute rubbish. Surely you can see the difference in pacing, style, and quality between these films, Alex.