What is the last film you watched?

MrScratch

• Replies 3.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Last Saturday (I've had a very busy week) I saw Hitch and watched Secret Window.

Hitch was good, Will Smith was funny as usual. Nothing remarkable, but a good movie all around.

Secret Window. Ahhhh, Secret Window! I just love this movie! Seeing it again really made me realize just how great it is. It's funny ("rubbernecker"), it's scary (Shooter is just creepy!), and it's got one of the best surprise endings ever. I read the book Secret Window, Secret Garden by Stephen King this summer and it was very different, but that makes no difference to me. Johnny Depp gives an amazing performance as always. I absolutely LOVE the score, too. But for some reason it was never released. Such a shame. I really enjoyed Philip Glass's great mysterious music. I will try to rip the end credits sometime, though. But there is a lot of great unreleased music in the movie as well. I really enjoy it, and, like I said, the ending is spectacular.

~Sturgis

Conan the Barbarian. I found this film rather tedious and drawn out. I was starting to get bored an hour before the end already.

Poledouris's score rises above the film, though, and gives it an almost operatic quality. As if the movie was a film version of the score, instead of the music being written to go with the film.

As usual, the fullscreen version looked like crap. Why they continue to bastardize films on TV like this is beyond me. :mrgreen:

Conan the Barbarian. I found this film rather tedious and drawn out. I was starting to get bored an hour before the end already.

Poledouris's score rises above the film, though, and gives it an almost operatic quality. As if the movie was a film version of the score, instead of the music being written to go with the film.

As usual, the fullscreen version looked like crap. Why they continue to bastardize films on TV like this is beyond me.  :angry:

You could always refuse watching them and rent the DVDs, of course.

Million Dollar Baby. The movie didn't seem full enough for me, lacking something. Maybe it's like Mystic River that I just need to see again.

The French Connection. I hated the sound mix on this movie. I understand this whole realism thing they were going for, but please, there's nothing wrong with increasing the volume of the dialogue, just so the viewer can actually hear what the hell they're saying. :P

The famous car chase was something of a let-down to me, though, probably more because of the infinite praise that has been heaped upon this sequence over time than anything else. For its time, it surely was pretty spectacular, but since then there've been better realisticly filmed chases (the recent Bourne movies come to mind), so I won't say this is the BEST EVER chase, as some would call it.

Back to the Future. Oh my, what a masterpiece this is. There is hardly a single shot in this film that does not serve a purpose. It's amazing every time I watch it. And Zemeckis really knows how to use music. I love how the movie starts out like it could be just any other high school movie. We have our young hero going to school, having a run-in with the principal, auditioning for the dance, snoggin his girlfriend, feeling estranged from his parents, and all this stuff happening with a rock song as underscore. Not until that eternally cool time machine rolls out of the back of Doc Brown's truck does Silvestri's score appear. And all of a sudden, we're thrown into an adventure. God, I love this film. The quotes are endless.

I might even go out on a limb here and claim that this just might be the single best movie of the 1980's.

- Marc

Back To The Future - I might even go out on a limb here and claim that this just might be the single best movie of the 1980's.

Get out of here! This must be the biggest overstatement of the century.

:mrgreen: 8O 8O

This must be the biggest overstatement of the century.

This must be the biggest overstatement of the century.

The BBC apologizes for the constant overstatements of the overstatement.

What's wrong with loving double meh movies? Everyone likes a good double movie. Some even adore triple meh movies. You can't blame me for going a little double meh at times.

I always keep the mehs directed at you to myself!

I just watched the Criterion Laser Disc of Close Encounters of the Third Kind. It's as close to the 1977 version of the movie as possible. One SE shot is included and some other shots are trimmed. Still, it's probably the best version of the movie.

Neil

The Collector's Edition retains a lot of the re-sequencing from the SE. In the original version the helicopter raid was followed by the India scene like it's supposed to be. The way the movie should be is in this sequence: Roy fired (with pillow section), helicopter raid, India, hand sign demo, Goldstone map scene, Barry's abduction. This way you follow the progression of the five note signal in an unbroken manner. The SE and CE have it as: Roy fired (pillow section cut), India, hand sign demo (applause only in S/E), helicopter raid, Goldstone, abduction.

Neil

I just watched the Criterion Laser Disc of Close Encounters of the Third Kind.  It's as close to the 1977 version of the movie as possible.  One SE shot is included and some other shots are trimmed.  Still, it's probably the best version of the movie.

I have that LD too, and I agree. Was the 1977 version ever released on home video?

Jeff - who wants to see Spielberg and Dreyfuss work together again

Was the 1977 version ever released on home video?

The Criterion version was the closest edit of the 1977 cut ever released on home video.

Neil

I'm afraid that's unlikely to happen. Dreyfuss retired from acting in movies just some months ago.

I have the 1977 cut taped from TV, unless they showed the criterion cut; I have no idea how these things work.

Read this to get it all sorted out.

Neil

I'm afraid that's unlikely to happen. Dreyfuss retired from acting in movies just some months ago.

I'm sure if Dreyfuss got a call from Spielberg, I don't see him easily turning down an offer unless it's Close Encounters 2, Jaws 5 or Always II: Dorinda Flies Again, which I wouldn't put past Spielberg to make.

Jeff

Read this to get it all sorted out.  

Neil

Yes, I know about that article, but thanks anyway! :)

What I meant was that I have no idea which version my tape has (should watch it again though):

Although further alternative edits have surfaced on TV stations over the years
[...]

I remember a scene from when I saw this film back in 1978 (five times!!!) in which Neary and his wife are arguing and her face goes out of focus as Neary focusses his attention on a pillow because it has the shape of the mountain. I've never seen this scene since. Is it on the Criterion? Or on the TV version Lotman taped?

The film I just watched is a bizarre surrealist film from Czech animator/director Jan Svankmajer. The film "Little Otik" is about a childless couple who adopt a tree root which looks strangely like a human baby. After a while the root becomes sentient and cries like a baby. It starts to devour everything it can find, from all the food in the house, to the cat, to the postman!!! It was very strange and quite in keeping with Svankmajer's visual style and fetishes/phobias. Don't watch this while you're eating, Svankmajer hates food and always portrays it as looking revolting in his films. Although I really liked this film I would not recommend it as a starting point if you've never seen a Svankmajer film before. Begin instead with Alice (1987) or Faust (1994).

I remember a scene from when I saw this film back in 1978 (five times!!!) in which Neary and his wife are arguing and her face goes out of focus as Neary focusses his attention on a pillow because it has the shape of the mountain. I've never seen this scene since. Is it on the Criterion? Or on the TV version Lotman taped?

That occurs right after Roy loses his job. It's mentioned in every version just before the helicopter raid, but it was only ever seen in the 1977 version. It's on the Criterion laser disc in the correct spot.

Neil

That occurs right after Roy loses his job. It's mentioned in every version just before the helicopter raid, but it was only ever seen in the 1977 version. It's on the Criterion laser disc in the correct spot.

Neil

Wow! I'd love to see that again! I remember finding that shot quite disturbing as a 7 year old, mainly because I didn't quite understand what a focus-effect was in films yet. I remember thinking that her face really was blurring, or something! Is there a deep rumbling sound, or scary music at that point?

The French Connection. I hated the sound mix on this movie. I understand this whole realism thing they were going for, but please, there's nothing wrong with increasing the volume of the dialogue, just so the viewer can actually hear what the hell they're saying. :)

The famous car chase was something of a let-down to me, though, probably more because of the infinite praise that has been heaped upon this sequence over time than anything else. For its time, it surely was pretty spectacular, but since then there've been better realisticly filmed chases (the recent Bourne movies come to mind), so I won't say this is the BEST EVER chase, as some would call it.

I love the movie. I also am not a fan of the chase scene, but the subway scene is one of my favorite ever.

Back to the Future. Oh my, what a masterpiece this is. There is hardly a single shot in this film that does not serve a purpose. It's amazing every time I watch it. And Zemeckis really knows how to use music. I love how the movie starts out like it could be just any other high school movie. We have our young hero going to school, having a run-in with the principal, auditioning for the dance, snoggin his girlfriend, feeling estranged from his parents, and all this stuff happening with a rock song as underscore. Not until that eternally cool time machine rolls out of the back of Doc Brown's truck does Silvestri's score appear. And all of a sudden, we're thrown into an adventure. God, I love this film. The quotes are endless.

I might even go out on a limb here and claim that this just might be the single best movie of the 1980's.

Not sure I agree with ya 100% on your police work there, Marc. One of the most overrated movies which I still love. I love it like I love Goonies.

Tron and this time I even liked the vintage CGI! It's so rudimentary that it looks cool.

How long till that comment is made referring to current films?

Tron and this time I even liked the vintage CGI! It's so rudimentary that it looks cool.

How long till that comment is made referring to current films?

Won't happen because Tron's CGI is not striving for realism.

Volcano.

This is kinda a guilty pleasure of mine, more then slightly improbable at the best of times.

Ludicrous for the rest of times.

It hearkens back to the 70's with it's silly disaster films.

Good Silvestri score, and Tommy Lee Jones by himself pulls this film out of the dephts of Hell, because he managed to be utterly believable even in a film like this.

Your random widescreen vs. foolscreen thought of the day, overheard yesterday. Marc, this one's for you :devil: :

"I can't buy widescreen DVDs. I don't have a widescreen TV."

banghead :sigh:

I just saw Cursed and Because of Winn-Dixie. They were both good movies, but Cursed had some plot loopholes. Not that I'm one who tries to find flaws in the storyline....

Your random widescreen vs. foolscreen thought of the day, overheard yesterday. Marc, this one's for you  :devil: :

banghead  :sigh:

Feeling... urge... to kill...

Must... bang head... into... keyboard... instead...

hyyu76y76uyu76

Idiots.

- Marc

(This is my first post in this looong thread! I always read this, but I did never posted before, for some reason)

LOL It reminds me a thing.

When the Indy VHS Box-set came out (1999?) I bought it in foolscreen, because I had no idea of the difference between "fool" and "wide"...also, the widescreen set was a lot much expensive, so I bought the "fool" version because it was cheaper! :P

I'm not surprised I never saw the fullscreen DVD set in stores.

To remain in topic, the last film I watched is The Terminal.

I love this movie! It was the first time I watched it.

Short review:

Another good Spielberg comedy, another superb Hanks performance, another Williams score with a catchy and whisteable main theme. :D

And Catherine Zeta-Jones is wonderful as always. One of the most beautiful womens in the whole human history. :mrgreen:

Oh, well. I guess they thought nobody is interested in fool screen.

Marc, are the Dutch DVD's with the Digipak cases? Italians are.

Mirko - who saw the Indy foolscreen DVD-set in the Virgin Megastores in New York City.

banghead  :mrgreen:

If I didn't have a widescreen TV I would still be buying widescreen DVDs.

4:3 = Brrrr/shudder/barf

I've seen this past week,

Kill Bill vol. 2, I think I liked vol 1 better, but it was still very good. Loved the fight

between Darryl and Uma

The Pacifier with Vin Diesel, while this movie will never be considered good, it was nowhere as bad as the critics treated it. Its a kids movie, and I saw it with kids, and they loved it.

The Manchurian Candidate, a really good film, how did they not nominate Liev Schrieber and Meryl Streep. Playing evil is so much harder than the actors are ever given credit for.

I've seen this past week,  

Kill Bill vol. 2, I think I liked vol 1 better, but it was still very good.  Loved the fight

between Darryl and Uma

The Pacifier with Vin Diesel, while this movie will never be considered good, it was nowhere as bad as the critics treated it.  Its a kids movie, and I saw it with kids, and they loved it.

You "think", Joe? Well, I KNOW you like it better, because Vol. 1 was the worst part. Heck, I didn't plan to see Vol. 2 because of it. When there was nothing left to rent, I decided to give it a shot. And I'm glad that I did, Tarantino kept all the interesting stuff for the second part.

----------------

Alex Cremers

Don't get me wrong Alex, I liked both alot, but 2 was too talky. As much as I like David Carradine, he never knew when to shut up. I really want to see how he edits this into one coherent film as he says he might.