CGI, the good, the bad, what do you think.

JoeinAR

Imo, Hook was a rare occasion of JW getting carried away. Wall to wall full orchestral music did not help the movie; there are moments in the film where the dialogue is nearly drowned out by blaring brass and an overdose of boom-tish.

Fantastic album in its own right though.

• Replies 325
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Maybe its like ESB, the complete score is wonderful, even if the movie didnt need all of it.

But in hook, SPielberg didnt drop many (or any) cues...

I never thought the score was intrusive, there are some great musical moments.

Hoffman and Hoskins are great. The movie is worth watching just for them.

Actually thinking about it, I think you're correct in your comparison to ESB. There is a lot of music which seems overcooked in that movie, but it remains one of the [score] greats nonetheless.

Loved Hook when I was a kid, but now I just see an over indulgent mess, with some nice moments in between. JW's score was too ott as well.

Well, if you loved it when you were a kid, then it can't be all bad. Maybe it is a really great movie for kids. I liked it when I was in High School, but I grew up with the early Spielberg, so I never loved it.

Aside from the embarassingly sweet dialogue ("Thank you for belieeeeeeeeeviiiiiiiiiinnnnnngggg") the main problem with Hook for me was the complete feeling of claustophobia I get from watching it. It all feels so horribly studio-bound. If Spielberg had put in a single scene out at sea on the pirate ship It would have opened the whole Neverland world up for me. A pirate fight at sea is what that film needed! A chance to get away from the endless barrage of matte paintings, studio sets, and CG backgrounds.

the main problem with Hook for me was the complete feeling of claustophobia I get from watching it. It all feels so horribly studio-bound. A chance to get away from the endless barrage of matte paintings, studio sets.

Isnt that what fails in the prequels? or the charm of the OT? :shakehead:

The OT had plenty of location work. Tunisia, California, Finse, Arizona. They also had the advantage that the sets they used just happened to be built in some of the largest studio stages in the world (look at the Echo Base hangar set for an example).

I've never seen HOOK. Does it really have CG backgrounds?

No

Yeah, its something that some people have took it for granted...

but i never thought there was any CGI in Hook, and maybe that 1991 is too early for CGI backgrounds. Well terminator was there already.... i dont know.

There are CG backgrounds in some scenes, like the one previously mentioned when Peter stands up on a cliff and gets a panoramic view of Neverland.

Terminator 2 was the next year, and it didn't feature all CGI backgrounds. It had a wonderful blend of different effects whose sum was greater than all the parts.

(speaking of hook) Well i remember seeing some doccumentary from the DVD, and i think that it is matte painting, and the water is 'drawn' too.

What do the ILM credits say? We will have the final proof there.

That it does, but I mean the scene before that, with the terminators. The prologue.

Cameron used rear projection of models with foreground endoskeleton puppets, like a chorus line of terminators. Movie magic.

Luke you know there is a scene in the movie where Sarah Connors confronts the T-1000 as Sarah Connors on screen at the same time, do you know how that effect was acheived?

Luke you know there is a scene in the movie where Sarah Connors confronts the T-1000 as Sarah Connors on screen at the same time, do you know how that effect was acheived?

Its been ages since i saw the movie. I dont know what scene you are talking about. :shakehead:

I highly doubt those are CGI.

Yeah, they're matte paintings.

It's not CG related, but it always bugged me how there were no outdoor sets in Hook. Even Hook's ship is obviously in studio. It just made the whole thing feel...cheaper.

Hmm, well it fooled me. They were good effects regardless.

It's not CG related, but it always bugged me how there were no outdoor sets in Hook.

Baseball game in the beggining :rolleyes:

I suppose the Peter Pan statue is the real Hyde park one and not a replica in a studio...

It's not CG related, but it always bugged me how there were no outdoor sets in Hook. Even Hook's ship is obviously in studio. It just made the whole thing feel...cheaper.

YES! We had a whole discussion about that recently in the "what was the last film you watched" thread.

It's not CG related, but it always bugged me how there were no outdoor sets in Hook.

Baseball game in the beggining :P

I suppose the Peter Pan statue is the real Hyde park one and not a replica in a studio...

Do you mean the scene where Bob Hoskins is the dustman? Sorry, that's a set. I have always thought that, as the events of "Hook" took place in Banning's mind, it would be appropriate to have the entire Neverland part of the story as a studio set. What better location to have an extended "fantasy" sequence than a studio, where fantasies are made. To introduce "real" locations might open up the film in such a way as to create doubt in the mind of the viewer as to what was real, and what was not. One thing that I have always liked about "Hook" (and, let's face it, there's an awful lot to HATE about it!), is the effects, being as they were done on the "cusp of the digital age", to quote Richard Edlund. They were certainly composed digitally, which gives them a slightly "clean" look.

As for all-digital shots; some of the early "briar patch" shots in "ST: Insurrection", especially as The Enterprise enters the nebular are beautiful. Nothing, though, beats the first shot of the T-rex at night in "Jurassic Park". Completely terrifying!

Baseball game in the beggining :lol:

Do you mean the scene where Bob Hoskins is the dustman? Sorry, that's a set.

oh well.

The Baseball camp is still a real location, isnt it? :P