Who should score Alien vs. Predator?

Goldsmithfan

I've just been reminded via the Internet Movie Database that Alien Versus Predator is coming in September of next year. This raises a good question: Who will score it?

Both the "Alien" and "Predator" films have had great scores but the former lack a cohesive sound due to different composers being assigned to each film. It seems that some links were attempted to be made due to the obvious borrowing of Goldsmith's material by Horner and Frizell in their installments and the re-tracking of bits of the Alien score into Aliens. I think that if I were directing this film, I'd want Goldsmith at the helm. In my opinion, his score to the first film fit like a glove (before the butchering of the music by Ridley Scott that is). Forgive the pun but the use of the serpent, didgeridoo and shaum gave the score a truly alien sound. In my opinion Scott should get a beating for brutalizing this score in such a fashion. This was Oscar material, no doubt about it.

However, if Goldsmith isn't available/interested I'd love to hear another Silvestri score in the film. His powerful, driving rhythms fit the predator and its surroundings perfectly. Had the score to Predator been released when the film first came out, I have no doubts the academy would have given it a lot of consideration, if not a nomination.

And as another option (but certainly not a last resort) Elliot Goldenthal could be called on to score it if the aforementioned composers are unable/unwilling to write for the film. His moody score for the third installment gave it the extra shove in the direction the film was heading toward (bleak hope and terror) that it needed.

What does everyone else think?

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My pick is Elliot Goldenthal, he can provide the right textures and atmosphere in a very interesting way for such a movie.

David Arnold can do some great things when he avoids synths. His score to The Musketeer really proves he is still capable of writing a fun big orchestral score. I'd love to see him do this film in that style.

Neil

You're serious you 2? Heh. This is a topic that calls for atonality and unusual textures. Not David Arnold. :sleepy:

Goldenthal is always good. Or what about Don Davis? He based his Sentinel music for Matrix on some James Horner stuff from Aliens, so he would be fitting.

Marian - who doesn't care about this movie.

What about Ed Shearmer? He wrote a pretty bombastic score for Reign of Fire. He can certainly provide the balls that the story needs. And he does Goldenthal-styled orchestrations pretty well too.

Otherwise I think we should take tissue samples from Silvestri, Goldenthal, and Goldsmith, clone and develope a composite composer- Alan Goldensmith. The ultimate composer!!!

Just the title of this movie indicates it will not be aiming at new artistic heights.It will be one of these #1 movies of the week then disappear.The MV gang should do fine with this.

K.M.

Nobody should score it.

A film which combines alien and predator is too rediculous.

Predator is way another movie as alien.

Both share one simularity:

they both had too many sequels!

It will be as stupid and lousy as Jason vs Freddy also a very rediculous film

In other words in my humble opion they shouldn't even make the film and so nobody has to score it

That movie looks like it is going to be such crap. Its being made by PAul Anderson. The guy who made turd's like Resident Evil and Mortal Kombat. Let some hack score it!

Ok, we seem to have gone rather off topic while having the illusion of being on topic. :sigh:

As crap as the film may be, someone has to score it. :sleepy:

Ok, we seem to have gone rather off topic while having the illusion of being on topic. :sigh:

Well technically my post was on topic. I merely stated it doesn't matter who scores this since the film will MOST LIKELY (not definately) be crap.

Paul Anderson hasn't made any good movies IMO.

None that I've seen anyway. :sleepy:

However, OK if I had to pick someone I would say .........

Alan Silvestri

He scored both Predator films.

He didn't score any Alien films but the style of the scores for both series is so similar he could easily do both.

Ohh it does you know, just because the movie might be crap doesn't say anything about how the score will be.

Ohh it does you know, just because the movie might be crap doesn't say anything about how the score will be.

Thats definately true. Many crappy films have great scores. Many great films have lacking scores. We'll see on this one.

Thats definately true. Many crappy films have great scores. Many great films have lacking scores. We'll see on this one.

Can't we just find a happy middle?

ME!

Seriously...

My second pick would be Jerry Goldsmith, but they would have to tell him he can't use synths and that he has to record in London.

And they'd have to give him 4 months!

(No more hasty Goldsmith Scores when he could be making more masterpieces)

Just so you know, Goldsmith didn't use any synths for the first Alien score. At least no really noticeable ones. That's part of what gave it its amazing sound. I agree with the statement about scoring in London. That way, when the score album comes out, there would be a lot more music on it.

David Arnold can do some great things when he avoids synths.  His score to The Musketeer really proves he is still capable of writing a fun big orchestral score.  I'd love to see him do this film in that style.

Neil

I disagree. He can do some great things when he uses synths as well. Like Baby Boy for example. I think he's very underrated: he's a very versatile composer, who has his own style, but this own style depends on the kind of style he wishes to apply, if you know what I mean. It's like he has a couple of different styles (ID4 + Musketeer as opposed to Enough + Baby Boy as opposed to A Life less Ordinary + Changing Lanes, and so on.) (And let's not forget his adaptation talent: TND + Shaft.).

I think that Don Davis would be great choice. He could make a dark, atonal action music, heroic music if it is needed and, what's more important, music which would create specific atmosphere of the film.

Aghem, who love Davis' "House on the Haunted Hill".

This is a topic that calls for atonality and unusual textures. Not David Arnold.  

So like a mixture of Changing Lanes and some parts of Stargate you mean? :baaa:

That movie looks like it is going to be such crap. Its being made by PAul Anderson. The guy who made turd's like Resident Evil and Mortal Kombat. Let some hack score it!

William, you cannot say this without seeming crazy. All you have to basethis film on is a teaser, which shows nothing. The basic story line is to take place in Antartica, I think it could be a hoot. Besides in a battle between Aliens, and Predators, no matter who wins, we lose. Hey sounds like a good tag line.

Oh yeah, John Williams should score it.

Just so you know, Goldsmith didn't use any synths for the first Alien score. At least no really noticeable ones. That's part of what gave it its amazing sound.

I was referring to "Along Came A Spider" type synth of nowadays. I like his ingenious acoustic choices of old. In an interview he said he would have done Planet of the Apes sound fx with synth instead of pots and pans, ram horns and mouthpiece blowing. WHY?! He's really not a knower of his own best ideas. There is a sound in Poltergeist that frightens the hell out of me, obviously acoustic, yet I have no idea what it could be. After Robbie gets out of the tree, really quiet sounds under the tremelo sustains, like distant whimpering children and dogs or something.

But look at Peter Jackson's first movies. They show little to no glimmer of his quality today.

Hell you can see the films Scott makes today, there is no remarkable improvement in this Hacks work.

But look at Peter Jackson's first movies. They show little to no glimmer of his quality today.

Disagreed. Within the context of its budget, I do believe Bad Taste is a masterpiece (disregarding the plot, but really, it doesn't need one).

And as for Goldsmith and synths, when he's inspired he uses them very well. Hollow Man is excellent and has great scary synth.

Marian - who can't remember Braindead and has yet to see Meet the Feebles.

Hell you can see the films Scott makes today, there is no remarkable improvement in this Hacks work.

Sorry is this Ridley Scott?

Justin -Who likes Scott....in a few films....well I think I might have only seen Gladiator. :baaa:

I rather liked Duel. Or did you mean his really early period?

Yes Duel, after that, Alien. I mean these guys showed talent from the moment they set foot on the their first sets. Look at Mr Anderson's filmography. He didn't showed us anything yet. I don't think he ever will. And certainly not with this stupendous lousy project.

----------------

Alex Cremers

Btw, usually directors start of being great. Then after a few hits, and a few kids later, they're not burning so bright anymore.

----------------

Alex Cremers

William, you cannot say this without seeming crazy. All you have to basethis film on is a teaser, which shows nothing. The basic story line is to take place in Antartica, I think it could be a hoot. Besides in a battle between Aliens, and Predators, no matter who wins, we lose. Hey sounds like a good tag line.

Oh yeah, John Williams should score it.

First Williams style is not really best suited for this kind of film IMO.

2nd Joe come on man! Have you seen Paul Anderson's previous movies? That are all crap IMO.

Hey look, I like you LOVE the concept, but in this guys hands? :baaa:

Actually Peter Jackson's early movies for their budgets (while not great movies) are decent. Heavenly Creatures was an interesting film.

Even at their worst Jackson's early works are WAY better than Paul Anderon's at their best IMO. :baaa:

I doubt is going to be scored by a composer. They will just fling some rock songs together incase it in plastic and call it a soundtrack.

I doubt is going to be scored by a composer. They will just fling some rock songs together incase it in plastic and call it a soundtrack.

Now this is a smart man who truly understands the sad minds of today's Hollywoods "suits".

Yeah the film will probably have like 15 minutes of token score and 100 minutes of "music inspired by the film". Which of course means "music having ABSOLUTELY NOTHING to do with the film, but we need it to help hype our P.O.S. movie". :roll:

Actually Peter Jackson's early movies for their budgets (while not great movies) are decent. Heavenly Creatures was an interesting film.  

Heavenly Creatures? That's practically new and has a high budget. And it is great. But I'm talking about his FIRST features. "Dead Alive" Anyone? "Bad Taste?" WhooooooEEY!

Now I know why Gollum's intro is like a zombie attack!

"It vexes me....i'm terribly vexed"' about what kind of story they must have to think they are able to make a movie out an "Alien Vs Predator" plot. I mean, is it just going to be like watching an African savannah wildlife documentary, with Lions chasing and eating Gazelles?. Unless there are humans involved in the story, then just watching 2 species kicking each other's ass is going to be hardly sucessfull or worthwhile. I remember years ago when i was really into the Aliens thing, there was a comic on sale which had an "Alien Vs Predator" strip going every issue. In it, you got to read the Predator's thoughts and stuff like that. In it, the Predator was the closest thing to Humans and conscience. Yet, doing that in a film would destroy all the dark mystery surrounding the creature in Predator 1 (2 was naff). I simply cannot see how they can make a film out of it unless humans are involved somehow. In all honesty, i dont care. After Alien 3, the films were atrocious and pointless. I saw some of the 4th one. But that was pretty absurd. If there were anymore after that one, then i have'nt seen them and dont intend to.

Melange - Thinks the Alien franchise should of wound up long ago.

now that shore has nothing to do because the rings trilogy is finished, he should do it, williams is to busy

Oh yeah let me do a corny franchise Vs film to follow up my work on the Academy Award nominated LOTR films ....

I am just sure that is the logic going through Shore's mine right now! :sigh::P;)

I would hope Howard Shore would pick his projects better than say ......... Kevin Coster

postman.jpeg

:jump:

"It vexes me....i'm terribly vexed"' about what kind of story they must have to think they are able to make a movie out an "Alien Vs Predator" plot. I mean, is it just going to be like watching an African savannah wildlife documentary, with Lions chasing and eating Gazelles?. Unless there are humans involved in the story, then just watching 2 species kicking each other's ass is going to be hardly sucessfull or worthwhile. I remember years ago when i was really into the Aliens thing, there was a comic on sale which had an "Alien Vs Predator" strip going every issue. In it, you got to read the Predator's thoughts and stuff like that. In it, the Predator was the closest thing to Humans and conscience. Yet, doing that in a film would destroy all the dark mystery surrounding the creature in Predator 1 (2 was naff). I simply cannot see how they can make a film out of it unless humans are involved somehow. In all honesty, i dont care. After Alien 3, the films were atrocious and pointless. I saw some of the 4th one. But that was pretty absurd. If there were anymore after that one, then i have'nt seen them and dont intend to.

Melange - Thinks the Alien franchise should of wound up long ago.

Alien vs Predator is a sidebar, not a follow-on to the Alien franchise.

This film takes place in the Antartic where a group of predators become adults, by testing themselves against the aliens, who are brought in to Antartica. Of course the predators underestimate the power of the queen, as all humans do, and all hell breaks loose.

could be fun in the same vein as Starship Troopers was.

There is still talk of a Alien 5, with either Scott or Cameron, or both involved.

How about Harry Gregson-Williams or everyone's favorite......

Don Davis! lol.

I know how much people love him....so why not?

But honestly those two might just do a great job, I mean it'll give us a chance to see either composers versatility.

So wait? A vs. P takes place on Earth?

Thats lame! all the comics were set on foreign alien worlds. Setting it on Earth is just uncreative.

And cost-effective. They must be low on budget. Seems like another Anderson turkey.

-----------------

Alex Cremers

So wait? A vs. P takes place on Earth?

Thats lame! all the comics were set on foreign alien worlds. Setting it on Earth is just uncreative.

THIS isn't the comics, this isn't Aliens vs the Predators, this is Alien vs Predators,

and despite what alex thinks it has a reasonably large budget.

You know it might suck, it might not, not one of us knows. True it could be as bad as ST Nemesis turned out, or it could be as good as ST Nemesis turned out depending on who you talk to.