A thought on Ep VII-IX

NeejaHalycon

This is just one of those geekisms that occasionally pops up, but what if Peter Jackson was somehow talked into doing the third Star Wars trilogy?

I was just thinking about WETA's creation of Middle-earth versus ILM's bluescreeening of most of the prequels. How would they have been different if they had built a huge Couruscant set, had people in costumes instead of battledroids, etc. Also of course, Jackson, Fran Walsh, and Philippa's writing based on Lucas' general story.

Thoughts? Comments? (Except any Shore versus Williams debate.)

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well, the biggest problems on the prequels are scriptwriting and actors direction.

The dialogue in TMP and AOTC comes across as stale, rehearsed and passionless.

The dialogue in LOTR is a lot more dynamic, even though the characters often speak in that same formal english form.

It just seems more fluent.

So i'm guessing PJ and his team would have made the prequrels more lively.

But frankly most other directors would have been able to do that.

Stefancos- who loves the fact that PJ uses middle earth as a background for involving characters and a good story.

I would love to see a Star Wars movie with Peter Jackson in charge. Good question for some journalist to ask Lucas. Love to see his reaction. Heck, I would pay lots of money to see his Lucas' face when confronted with this scenario.

----------------

Alex Cremers

But we're talking Star Wars AND Peter Jackson here. Okay, okay, the music must be composed in a Harry Potter style. Happy now? Star Wars, Jackson of LOTR fame and Potter, all in one thread!

----------------

Alex Cremers

Well, the biggest problems on the prequels are scriptwriting and actors direction.

Which makes the question all the more relevant, since all of Jacksons movies have been scripted by himself and (except the first ones) Fran Walsh...and considering Kong, Phillipa Boyens seems to be a permanent part of that team now too.

Still, I can't really imagine a PJ Star Wars. But that doesn't mean that it couldn't be great. :)

Marian - who'd love to see the Zahn trilogy on film.

:) Water Dances (Michael Nyman)

The acting in LotR doesn't seem much better than in Star Wars,at least to King Mark's perception of things.Arwin(is that her name,Liv Tyler),is just as bad as Natalie Portman, Saruman is just about the same as Count Dooku,and Gandalf is more gay than Dumbledore.

Hey at least the LOTR films have solid action and a good narraritive.

Sure the story may not be very deep, but it is well told and the filmaking itself is very good.

Yes the performances aren't that great by some in LOTR, but others make up for it.

The Theodin guy for example did a good job in the 2nd LOTR film.

Anyway I would just like to see a set of SW sequels done by someone othjer than Lucas.

Prefferably someone WITH talent!

Need something to put the memories of the Prequels out of my head.

This is just one of those geekisms that occasionally pops up, but what if Peter Jackson was somehow talked into doing the third Star Wars trilogy?

I was just thinking about WETA's creation of Middle-earth versus ILM's bluescreeening of most of the prequels.  How would they have been different if they had built a huge Couruscant set, had people in costumes instead of battledroids, etc.  Also of course, Jackson, Fran Walsh, and Philippa's writing based on Lucas' general story.

Thoughts?  Comments?  (Except any Shore versus Williams debate.)

Well if PJ made those movies, WETA would be off the crew. ILM will do it. (heck it is a Lucas movie) And as far as im concerned LORT has a lot of bluescreen and completely CGI scenes, as SW has a lot of miniatures-made-sets and costume creatures.

Personally i would not made more SW movies because JW would not be there to score them :D

I just don't like that all of a sudden you might want Peter Jackson for Star Wars. Seems like rash thinking. Like how all of a sudden when Richard Harris died everyone was like, "yeah, Ian McKellen could do a great Dumbledore" just because he played Gandalf in LotR. Gandalf, for God's sake.

- Marc

Personally i would not made more SW movies because JW would not be there to score them

Yes but Michael Giacchino could and IMO he would kick ass scoring these films. His style is so well suited to them it almost makes me want to see them happen just to hear his scores for them.

I think George Lucas should consider going into the video game business. I'm only being slightly snide because I think computer animation is truly where his heart is now, and I bet he could put his visual imagination to good use there.

I dunno. Before the big Episode 1 merchandising, nearly all LucasArts games used to be outstanding. Nowadays they're still doing some great stuff, but some less good things too.

Marian - getting ready to write a 3D game next semester. :)

:thumbup: Rambo - First Blood Part 2 (Jerry Goldsmith)

I used to always be really excited about the next LucasArts game coming up, until I converted to Apple and became a Mac fanatic. Now I have to wait for the occasionally good one to be ported by Aspyr.

I dunno. Before the big Episode 1 merchandising, nearly all LucasArts games used to be outstanding. Nowadays they're still doing some great stuff, but some less good things too.

Most of the good stuff coming out of Lucasarts nowadays (well nearly all of it actually) isn't even made by them. Its made by seperate companies and is published by Lucasarts. The Lucasarts in-house games suck nowadays.

just as bad as Natalie Portman

True.

Saruman is just about the same as Count Dooku

That's crazy, Saruman is amazingly and perfectly acted, Lee depicts much complexity of the character, in AOTC Lee just does a plain old 1D bad guy, but a very cool one.

Gandalf is more gay than Dumbledore.

Gay? HUH? :thumbup:

I think George Lucas should consider going into the video game business. I'm only being slightly snide because I think computer animation is truly where his heart is now, and I bet he could put his visual imagination to good use there.

And what's wrong with doing that with movies? He's trying to do something new with CGI by showing what it can be used for, and it works great (if a bit bad for actors).

And what's wrong with doing that with movies? He's trying to do something new with CGI by showing what it can be used for, and it works great (if a bit bad for actors).

And I salute his work as a technological visionary and pioneer. But I and undoubtedly thousands of other fans would have preferred that he reserve his demos for a lesser project: must he sacrifice the Star Wars saga for the sake of Hollywood's future? The CGI in the prequels is generally lovely to behold, but rest of the elements in the movies are not. As a storyteller, George Lucas's heart is in the wrong place.

Well Hlao-roo. I'm sure if the scripts had been as good as the first movies the movies would have been just as good maybe in part due to the aid of the extra ablities of the CGI! He's not sacrificing Star Wars for CGI by any means, that's a rather absurd idea as CGI adds to a movie, provided the makers don't forget the importance of the script. Lucas is simply... very out of practise as a writer.

One thing I will give Lucas credit for is the use of digital cameras. Spielberg, while perhaps the greatest storyteller in the history of film, is an idiot not to switch to digital. The millions of dollars that film adds to the cost of a production, once you include photography, editing, and copying for distribution, is staggering. I'm sure he is free of budgetary constraints, but the truth is the industry WILL change. Lucas is doing a great service to future generations by pioneering the technology.

One thing I will give Lucas credit for is the use of digital cameras.  Spielberg, while perhaps the greatest storyteller in the history of film, is an idiot not to switch to digital.  The millions of dollars that film adds to the cost of a production, once you include photography, editing, and copying for distribution, is staggering.  I'm sure he is free of budgetary constraints, but the truth is the industry WILL change.  Lucas is doing a great service to future generations by pioneering the technology.

Maybe Spielberg sees something most of us don't.

----------------

Alex Cremers

I did say most of us, Morn. Maybe it's like how some people don't like digital recordings.

----------------

Alex Cremers

Who doesn't like digital recordings except a handful of nostalgic freaks!

Anyway, back on topic. I would like to see these movies happen, but I want Lucas TOTALLY not involved. I mean he can be like an executive producer but I dont want this guy coming ANYWHERE near the script.

I would set it many years after ROTJ. Like 100 or so. I'd rather see new characters rather than bringing back the old ones from the Classic Trilogy.

I would set it many years after ROTJ. Like 100 or so. I'd rather see new characters rather than bringing back the old ones from the Classic Trilogy.

That goes without saying. No sudden Chewbacca comebacks!

----------------

Alex Cremers

Then again Mark Hamill needs work. So maybe it should include the original characters! :)

Yep, you're wright! No true Star Wars without Hamill. What, BTW, will become of Luke Skywalker?

----------------

Alex Cremers

I did say most of us, Morn. Maybe it's like how some people don't like digital recordings.

Ohh yes I thought you might have ment that you are one of them. 8O But I dunno, I'd be surprised if Spielberg had a problem with the quality. :)

Who doesn't like digital recordings except a handful of nostalgic freaks!

Actually an analogue recording just sounds more realistic.

Actually an analogue recording just sounds more realistic.  

Sorry, but I disagree. A very good digital recording can sound awesome! Most analogue stuff has "background noise" and stuff that messes with the music.

Sorry, but I disagree. A very good digital recording can sound awesome! Most analogue stuff has "background noise" and stuff that messes with the music.

It's called "warmth".

----------------

Alex Cremers

messes with the music

Not as badly as the digitising. Sure you have abosolute clearity, however the tones and sounds etc aren't as accurate as analogue.

Anyway, Indiana Jones IV is going to be filmed Digitally...that's a start, isnt it?

Morn, about the Gaynees of Gandalf, well it is true... isnt he joyfull or makes jokes? TOlkies used the word gay some times to reflect that (it former meaning)

Luke also puzzled that in the Middle Earth every seems to be 'queer'...

messes with the music

Not as badly as the digitising. Sure you have abosolute clearity, however the tones and sounds etc aren't as accurate as analogue.

Not accurate until now. SACD is capable of reproducing a clean sinus wave. But where's that software? It's all going to slow.

----------------

Alex Cremers

Perhaps. I dunno, perhaps it's just uber-clear instead of accurate. :) It's just too bad though that public interest seems low.

Need something to put the memories of the Prequels out of my head.

You certainly do.

Blah. Why don't we just give SW a rest after ep. 3?

- Marc, tired of SW discussions.

My thoughts exactly.

Count me in, too. By the time Ep.III arrives, I'll be so sick of Star Wars I'll want start talking about LOTR all over again.

One thing I will give Lucas credit for is the use of digital cameras.  Spielberg, while perhaps the greatest storyteller in the history of film, is an idiot not to switch to digital.  The millions of dollars that film adds to the cost of a production, once you include photography, editing, and copying for distribution, is staggering.  I'm sure he is free of budgetary constraints, but the truth is the industry WILL change.  Lucas is doing a great service to future generations by pioneering the technology.

The resolution of digital photography is not there yet. I think Attack of the Clones was filmed at 2k (2,000 lines) resolution. Film has a resolution of about 4k.

Neil

Yes, and lately Lucas seems so very intent upon "pioneering the latest digital technology" and "pushing the envelope in terms of visual effects" that he forgets to give his films a proper script, proper actor's directing, and a heart that is felt by audiences.

- Marc, who thinks the FX in the SW prequels are amazing nonetheless, but do not serve the holy purpose of "telling a story"!

Personally i would not made more SW movies because JW would not be there to score them

Yes but Michael Giacchino could and IMO he would kick ass scoring these films. His style is so well suited to them it almost makes me want to see them happen just to hear his scores for them.

It's happening

the word of Michael Giacchino is spreading throughout the boards