The Official Michael Giacchino Thread

No, I have not, Mr. Thaxton, but I'm talking musicaly. The music is not great.

No need for that, Mornlock. I'm sure Mr. Cosman would have asked you the same thing.

Neil

• Replies 4.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

And I would've said the same thing. The anticipation to this score was not strictly as a succesful film score, something that Mr. Thaxton and Mr. Hobgood seem to treasure, but as a kick ass CD filled with great music, and Giacchino's big break into the big leagues. I have no complaints toward Giacchio. I'm sure the score is perfect, exactly what the film needed, but this is not the great Giacchino score this thread has been heralding for months. It is not a seminal effort in the composer's career, at least as a musical presentation.

However I do apologize for calling you Mr. Thaxton.

The anticipation to this score was not strictly as a succesful film score, something that Mr. Thaxton and Mr. Hobgood seem to treasure...

I'm not quite sure what that statement is supposed to mean, but does anyone actually ever listen to Ford? Does his opinion or views mean anything to anyone?

Neil

AndI'm sure the score is perfect, exactly what the film needed, but this is not the great Giacchino score this thread has been heralding for months. It is not a seminal effort in the composer's career, at least as a musical presentation.

And who's fault is that exactly?

Mr Giacchino was hired to compose a score that would fit the film, he can hardly be faulted for not writing the next Star Wars, E.T. or Star Trek: TMP, just cause some idiots in this thread presumed that he would do so.

It's a score to a Pixar comedy, so naturally it's gonna be an action comedy type score, not Conan the Barbarian.

If you are dissapointed with it then you only have yourself to blame.

Stefancos- taking back his thread! :angry:

He just happens to have been lately been saying stuff to the effect of 'Have you seen it in the film?' or 'unless you saw it in the film with the dialogue and sound effects, you can't say if it's a succesful film score or not. End of story.'.

If memory serves this is pretty much what Ricard L. Befan used to say too.

And I for one agree, filmscores are written to support a film, to judge them ONLY by what you hear on the CD (or advance audio stream) is basically forgetting why the music was composed in the first place.

I am not judging it as a film score, simply as music, totaly independant of everything else. If it works in the movie is quite irrelevant to if it's great music.

You did use the word "score" in you evaluation. I was ready to pounce on your statement as well. Knowing very little about Giacchino, I'm struck by how good this is in pure musical terms. It is hugely derivative, for sure, but film scoring often demands it and if its a conceipt that works for the film it could still potentially be a great score. Maybe not what people were expecting or hyping but that shouldn't be held against him. I'm anxious now to see how good he is with fitting his music to the movie.

I wasn't aware that this was a point that Ford Thaxton made. To answer Neil's question, I'm willing to listen to anybody if they have something to say. But in my recent exchange with him at FSM, I came away with the impression he's mostly bluster - trying to project an aura of absolute authority but which can quickly become transparently flimsy if called out on his third-rate debating tricks. But I'd agree with him if he thinks that a composer's contribution needs to be considered in context of the film.

- Adam

I am not judging it as a film score, simply as music, totaly independant of everything else.

But film music is the ONE medium that is not independant from everything else, much of it's form is dicated by the story, pace and emotional content of the film it was written for.

That's why writing a great score is so much more difficult then writing a great song, or classical composition.

If it works in the movie is quite irrelevant to if it's great music.

If it works in the film then it's a good score and the composer did was he was payed to do.

If it transceneds that then that is very fortunate, but it's not an obligation a film composer should be required to forfill.

I am not judging it as a film score, simply as music, totaly independant of everything else. If it works in the movie is quite irrelevant to if it's great music.

That is all secondary. It was written for the movie, not to be a good listening experience on its own. It was music written to work for The Incredibles not your stereo. If it works in both cases, great, but never forget that it's primary purose, it's reason for existence, is to serve the film. And that's true of all film music.

It's only the great music that is able to transcend it's cinematic origin. But since most of us have not seen the movie yet, we're not even sure yet how it works in the film so I'm willing to reserve judgment. I hope it's good though.

Neil

I think Michael did very well. Try listening to Toy Story without the movie. I've seen brave men fall on their knees, praying for it to stop.

Don't listen to the Morlock. Every post he makes regarding The Incredibles has a very negative tone.

----------------

Alex Cremers

I am now actualy highly looking forward to the movie, it appears I've been (willingly) mislead. And I do not negate any of the arguments above. A film score should be above a succesful score to the film, irrelevant of how it works outside of it. The anticipation to this one however, in this thread, was in particular that it would make a great listening experience, which I don't think it does. Giacchino has done great work that works fantasticaly well on CD and as a score. This is not one of them. I am not saying that it is essential it make a great CD- merely that it does not. I can't wait for it in the film, and I'm sure it will be one of the highlights of the year. This is not another Medal of Honor, as Rogue was hoping it to be. Damn it, you guys can get a bit anal at times. We are discussing this on different terms.

I think Michael did very well. Try listening to Toy Story without the movie. I've seen brave men fall on their knees, praying for it to stop.

Despite your opinion I'm a fan of all of Newman's Pixar scores.

Both in and out of the film.

Justin - Who's first score, technically, was Toy Story 2.

Despite your opinion I'm a fan of all of Newman's Pixar scores.

Both in and out of the film.

Justin - Who's first score, technically, was Toy Story 2.

Then you're stronger that those brave men I saw :angry: .

----------------

Alex Cremers

This is not another Medal of Honor, as Rogue was hoping it to be.

Rogue was actually a bit disappointed when he heard that Michael's first major score was for an animation flic. He feared Giacchino wouldn't be able to perform his Medal of Honor thing. Rogue always has total trust in Giacchino but he never had blind faith in the musical style of this project. Rogue even stated that he was more interested in the live-action projects Michael probably will be getting after The Pixar venture.

----------------

Alex Cremers

Since I've never watched a Bond movie all the way through and never listened to any of Barry's soundtracks (save for some of OHMSS) I already really really like this soundtrack

Since I've never watched a Bond movie all the way through and never listened to any of Barry's soundtracks (save for some of OHMSS) I already really really like this soundtrack

Ignorance is bliss.

Neil

I hope Giacchino moves on to something more mature after this "Muppet" score he is doing next.

I mean doing children's projects is OK, but I feel this guy is best suited towards more mature musical themes.

doing children's projects is OK, but I feel this guy is best suited towards more mature musical themes.

Yeah, like video games!

Neil

Very funny wise guy! :wave:

Hey even though he has scored video games previously those games dealt with mature subjects.

OH and most people have to start at the bottom Neil.

JW scored commercials once and stuff.

I hope Giacchino moves on to something more mature after this "Muppet" score he is doing next.

I mean doing children's projects is OK, but I feel this guy is best suited towards more mature musical themes.

Have you heard any of his music from Muppet Monster Madness??? Giacchino has incredible range as his musical themes work in any genre.

-Erik-

...on his first movie. And supposedly, they hit it off, had a great time working on it, and it produced a very good score. I'm just wondering. Kamen and Bird strike me as the kind of guys EVERYONE would want to work with again.

Have you heard any of his music from Muppet Monster Madness??? Giacchino has incredible range as his musical themes work in any genre.

-Erik-

Damn Straight, Kermambo was awesome

Why are Disney and Dreamworks always one step behind Pixar?

This is a biased and unsubstantiated statement, seemingly brought on by simple minded and one sided Pixar loving.

It's almost as if someone at Pixar is leaking information.

----------------

Alex Cremers - wondering if every post has to be backed up with solid proof to satify Morlock.

Alex Cremers - wondering if every post has to be backed up with solid proof to satify Morlock.

No, it must not. But this one must, as otherwise it IS just the ravings of a Pixar fanboy. Not that there's anything wrong with that, I'm sure you're very proud of being a fanboy. But if you wish that statement to be taken seriously, you must substantiate it.

Morlock- Who wanted to end with the Judge Judy quote, but could not remember it

Morlock 2- who's reasonably certain Stefan will reply with 'Numbnuts!'

:roll:

That's all you JWFanners can do, hurl insults, but you are unable to provide any concrete evidence that what you say is a total, irrefutable fact. Everything you say is opinion, and I'm very sorry, but I don't have time for some lesser fanboy's unproven and untested opinion.

Next.