Potterdom Film/Score Series Thread

JoeinAR

While I agree with Joe that Cuaron's film destroyed the cozy school feel of Hogwarts (which since PoA has looked like a dungeon), it is a superior film to the four we have thus far. It's on an emotional level far above the other two.

• Replies 7.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Cuaron's film destroyed the cozy school feel of Hogwarts (which since PoA has looked like a dungeon)

Since PoA is the first film where the story isn't about Hogwarts, but rather the emotional development of the characters, I would say this is rather fitting. How often do we need to be introduced to it?

I'm very happy that the Potter series doesn't celebrate it every time it revisits some place or character, and I'm unspeakably happy that the endless recapitulations happening at the beginning of each book didn't influence the movies.

Columbus should be given credit for establishing the overall look of Hogwarts and the whole wizarding community becuase its quite stunning. He set a high standard for the art direction of the entire series.

I'll agree with you on that. Art direction and costume design is spectacular in the first two films. But the directing feels so... timid. No really daring things are done with the story, the characters, or the cinematography. Cuarón pushed all of those far more, and the art direction was again very good - Hogsmeade looks wonderful - although I agree I miss some cheerful scenes to contrast the darker ones. Hogwarts actually became a place I wouldn't really want to go last time I saw the film.

Dreary? Seriously, that qualifies as a "lesser" work and the LotR scores are the great masterpieces of our time? I feel like the whole world has just gone upside down. :nono:

Shore's LOTF is a masterpiece. But the only one of our time? Nah . . .

Dreary? Seriously, that qualifies as a "lesser" work and the LotR scores are the great masterpieces of our time? I feel like the whole world has just gone upside down. :nono:

Shore's LOTF is a masterpiece. But the only one of our time? Nah . . .

Lord of the Flies?

Check out the OotP videogame trailer.

Either those are really good horn synths, or that's an orchestral statement of Hedwig's Theme (no, it's not from "Mischief Managed!" - I've already compared them). Given that I've not been able to find any indication that Jeremy Soule, who did the previous HP videogame scores, is working on OotP, and that this game seems to practically replicate the film, it sounds like Hooper's score may be used in the game rather than an original one. And if this trailer music is excerpted from it, then I'm very much looking forward to it.

Edit: the end of trailer credits Williams with "Hedwig's Theme," © 2002, but only in writing, not, say, recording.

Either those are really good horn synths, or that's an orchestral statement of Hedwig's Theme (no, it's not from "Mischief Managed!" - I've already compared them). Given that I've not been able to find any indication that Jeremy Soule, who did the previous HP videogame scores, is working on OotP, and that this game seems to practically replicate the film, it sounds like Hooper's score may be used in the game rather than an original one. And if this trailer music is excerpted from it, then I'm very much looking forward to it.

Edit: the end of trailer credits Williams with "Hedwig's Theme," © 2002, but only in writing, not, say, recording.

That Hedwig's Theme does not refer to the trailer but it's use in the game itself.  

Yeah I mentionned it earlier.Seems elaborate for videogame music

Well did anyone honestly expect it to have pop songs? The only reason they were in GoF was because they were in context.

On another note, anyone find it annoying that the trailer for the game had better music for the movie trailer? Especially annoying as it seems they both had "original" music written for the trailers!

That music in the video game trailer does sound pretty good. The fast-paced section when the kids are having the wand fight outside almost sounds like it's based on the Nimbus 2000 theme.

Ray Barnsbury

Interesting. Yeah, the rhythm is almost identical. Notes are altered so as to make it an urgent action piece rather than a "magical" one.

Well did anyone honestly expect it to have pop songs? The only reason they were in GoF was because they were in context.

"In context" is stretching it, I think. But that's the movie's fault.

If only the GOF album didn't make that horrible scream every time I forget to turn it off in time...

On another note, anyone find it annoying that the trailer for the game had better music for the movie trailer? Especially annoying as it seems they both had "original" music written for the trailers!

Movie trailer music is an industry of its own. Either you take an existing piece of music for your trailer, or you have a special trailer composer (factory?) to write the trailer music. I could imagine that this isn't common for games (perhaps for budgetary reasons) and that therefore game trailers are more likely to feature original music. A game composer usually can't write the music at the very last moment anyway I'd imagine, since it's so much more dynamic and has to undergo a testing & debugging phase.

That music in the video game trailer does sound pretty good. The fast-paced section when the kids are having the wand fight outside almost sounds like it's to based on the Nimbus 2000 theme.

Reminds me of Stargate, actually. Although I can also see the similarity to the Nimbus theme.

If only the GOF album didn't make that horrible scream every time I forget to turn it off in time...

LOL

I know what you mean!

About the trailer music: I think it sounds terrific, but I'm not sure Hedwig's Theme at the end is from OotP. Don't you think it's Hedwig's Theme from "Mischief Managed" and the beginning of "Quidditch, Third Year" edited together?

About the trailer music: I think it sounds terrific, but I'm not sure Hedwig's Theme at the end is from OotP. Don't you think it's Hedwig's Theme from "Mischief Managed" and the beginning of "Quidditch, Third Year" edited together?

No, it's not. The intonation of the horns is different (sharper attack on the sixth note, for example), "Quidditch, Third Year" doesn't match, and both pieces are in different keys than this trailer music.

It is probably music from the game with the main theme edited in at the end.

What music from the game? Jeremy Soule isn't writing this score, the game developers want to remain as true to the film as possible... wouldn't it then make since for them to use the film's score? Or perhaps they just booked an orchestra to record one minute of original trailer music. Sure.

1) All trailer music in the US and international trailers are not from the movie.  They feature both synths and real orchestra (The Seattle Sinfonia).

2)  James Hannigan is scoring the game.  

Or perhaps they just booked an orchestra to record one minute of original trailer music. Sure.

Electronic Arts has the financial muscle to hire 30 union orchestras to record a 48 hour symphony for a 1 minute trailer.

Which is why every HP video game so far has been recorded with the LSO.

John Williams is not going to return to the Potter franchise.

When will you realize that?

NEVER!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I do think there is an outside chance that he might come back, if Cuaron, Columbus, or any other serious director with no current composer relationship. Not likely, but not impossible.

I think the real story here is that Yates' work must have really impressed someone in order to (presumably) get an offer already for HBP. A good sign.

I think the real story here is that Yates' work must have really impressed someone in order to (presumably) get an offer already for HBP. A good sign.

While the works of his I've seen show him to be an excellent director, I believe WB was shooting for whoever they can pay under $1 mill.  

Doubt it, Warner Brothers has deep pockets which get deeper with every Potter film. They can blow ten million dollars on a big name director. They will earn it back ten folds.

They've also learned they can skimp on paying for big name people such as composers and earn they money 10 folds anyways.

That does it for you? Enhanced posters?

No you do it for me.

It's the hood, right? That drives 'em crazy.

Can do no wrong with boobies :music:

Here's an article about Hooper's score: http://www.filmmusicweekly.com/issues/FM_Weekly_050807.pdf

I like that Hedwig's Theme is being used. However, I don't like it when Harry Potter always gets reduced to that. There are tons of themes that are as good as Hedwig's Theme, don't black them out!

Also, that electronics are used concerns me a little, but that doesn't automatically mean it's going to be Hans Zimmer light.

I hate the "should be a ringtone hit" comment, though.

that electronics are used concerns me a little

Listen to "Andes to Amazon" to see how subtle but effective Hooper's electronic usage can be.

Here's an article about Hooper's score: http://www.filmmusicweekly.com/issues/FM_Weekly_050807.pdf

Well I see nothing to complain about in there. Hedwig's Theme is the only theme I want other composers to use, if they try to use more we start to get into the Superman Returns syndrome. And there's at least two major new themes, maybe they'll actually be themes unlike the previous score. I'm still cautiously optimistic that this will surprise everyone and turn out to be at least a decent score, maybe even good.

And the article has an error, in the rundown of previous Potter scores they got the (admittedly confusing) CoS situation wrong, saything that Ross wrote the new music. Why am I mentioning this? Must be having an anal fanboy attack.

And the article has an error, in the rundown of previous Potter scores they got the (admittedly confusing) CoS situation wrong, saything that Ross wrote the new music. Why am I mentioning this? Must be having an anal fanboy attack.

Yep,there now distorting it to the point where JW didn't write anything for CoS

I hate the "should be a ringtone hit" comment, though.

"Hedwig's Theme" was a ringtone hit.

But John Williams didn't anticipate that, a bit of a difference. It's not every day that a theme remains in public conscience. It has to be either very good, or overused in the film (Hedwig's theme was a bit of both, not criticising though).

I'm just glad to be reading something at all about the score. Up until now, it seemed to be practically shrouded in mystery. I'm hopeful for a good score, but I won't be too surprised or disappointed if we get one on par with Doyle's.

Ray Barnsbury