Oscars

diskobolus

• Replies 241
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

:D!!!!!!!!!!

When Nick Cage presented the Master and Commander Clip, I jokingly said to the people I was watching with, "I bet they wish they could use the Children of Dune score for their clip." And they DID! You know, if I were one of the Master and Commander composers, I'd be pretty ticked tptb didn't their score was good enough for Oscar Night. Using a different score in the trailers is one thing, but Oscar Night?! Come on!

What is this music playing during the Bob Hope sequence?

Nice tribute to Bob.

Why did they play that when Tom Hanks entered? How dare they use that for my favorate actor. :D

as we have discussed before these short films need to be put in the other Oscar show, since these things never get main stream releases.

True,who cares,nobody's seen em

Wow...Liv Tyler looked hot,even with the weird glasses

What's that weird contraption Sting was playing on?

K.M.

You know they are reaching for nominee's when they

have to give two song nominations to a film about

the American south, filmed in Romania,

with no southern actors, with horrible accents,

and scenery that doesn't remotely look like the south.

There's mountains in the South US?.Seemed pretty flat to me  

Have you been to eastern Tenn, or North Carolina,

probably not or you wouldn't have said what you said.

Its a Lord of the Rings night, though this one should have been POTC.

I didn't hear it nominated in the Sound Editing ,maybe I missed something.

And I've crossed North Carolina, i meant the south south...Texas.

K.M.

i meant the south south...Texas.  

How dare you Mark, call texass the south, its not a southern state, its southwestern.

Geography lesson Mark, the south consists of Louisian, Arkansas, Mississippi, Tennessee, Alabama, Florida, Georgia,

North Carolina, South Carolina, Kentucky, and Virginia.

Maryland thinks they are southern too, but we don't claim them.

Joe, who is hurt, by KM's statement. OH and by the way KM, the western part of texass is very hilly.

documentaries should also go to the other oscar show, another OMG will someone shut this self important filmmaker, and please not another political speach.

shhesh,take it eazy.I drove across a bunch of theses states but it was 5 years ago,maybe I forgot the details

K.M.

KM, you know I am just kidding you, afterall you are the ruler of Kanadia, and could probably have me targeted by your own personal security force.

Shore 2 oscars for LotR.RotK is probably the most deserving score THIS year,but he sure as hell didn't deserve it for Fellowship,where he friggen stole it from Williams for A.I AND Harry Potter ...I'm still pissed off about that hence my grudge against Shore to this day.

I say give a retroactive oscar to John Williams for ESB

K.M.Who knows JW must be pissed off right now

especially since there really isn't anything different about the 3 LOTR scores, they

all are rather bland.

I thought Pearl Jam was nominated for Big Fish, and U2 also had  

nothing

Yes,exactly...the whole LotR scores can be thinned down to one c.d. of material without loss much important contents...the LotR are basically the same score stretched out for 3 movies,unlike Williams Indy and SW sequel scores.

I can say that because I have all 3 LotR c.d.'s now and the music is sooooo boring at times I'm having difficulty making it to the end,let alone listen to them twice to pick out my favourite cues.

and how many Oscars is it now?...i'm starting to get slightly irritated hearing that Gondor theme

K.M.Who now has a signed copy of an Oscar winning score

ROTK seems destined to win nearly everything except acting Oscars.

I guess this is what happens when your movie opens against an exceptionally WEAK field.

OH and I totally agree about Shore winning in 2002. That was BS!

Here his victory could be explained since the ROTK score was like the ONLY noteworthy movie score released all bloody year.

I'll hail a more deserving ruler THANK YOU very much! :)

ROTK was good but not a Best Pic winner IMO.

Except maybe this year where it wins really by default.

I take back what I said about the Best Makeup, it should have gone to Monster,

to make the stunningly beautiful Charlize Theron into Aileen Wuornos

if that isn't what Best Make Up is all about, I don't know what is.

So far there have been no surprises.

That will be the headline about the 76th Oscars.

when I first saw Sean Penn in Taps, I have thought that someday he would win

a Best Actor award. His whole career is a testament to tonight.

Ben Hur, 1959

Titanic, 1997

LOTR, Return of the King, 2003

11 Oscars. WOW

Spielberg was introduced to the worst rendition of Raiders I have ever heard

They played ET as well,

they also played fame, and chariots of fire :)

Meh!

Most of ROTK's Oscars though are just those in technical fields.

These pretty much go to whoever has the biggest budget. Like with Titanic.

So its hardly surprising ROTK came out on top this time.

Still, the winner is ultimately still the winner.

I severly doubt The makers of LOTR care about the fact they won against a weak field as long as they get to take home the BIG TROPHY! :)

OH yeah and in response to what Joe said about Sean Penn I still feel Bill Murray was friggin robbed. That dude deserved the Best Actor Oscar ALOT more than Penn did IMO.

Meh!  

Most of ROTK's Oscars though are just those in technical fields.  

These pretty much go to whoever has the biggest budget. Like with Titanic.

So its hardly surprising ROTK came out on top this time.  

Still, the winner is ultimately still the winner.  

I severly doubt The makers of LOTR care about the fact they won against a weak field as long as they get to take home the BIG TROPHY! :)

so what William, what your saying then is that big deal Star Wars 7 wins were in the technical field, it doesn't matter, and FYI Star Wars was a small budgeted film. The technical awards are great too, and when you have an ensemble film like LOTR, its hard to give alot of acting nominations.

LOTR sweeps. Glorious.

I wanted Keisha Castle-Hughes and Bill Murray to win. Those induced the only curses of the evening.

The orchestra totally sucked.

Since i've never seen John Williams accept, i wondered if you all could tell me has he ever been played off the stage.

HPFAN_2 - Who would have to castrate someone if he has :)

NO he hasn't, but I think the last time he won, was before they began the musical exit playing.

RotK is not a weak movie ,it's not like last year when Chicago managed to get the Best Movie award.LotR did deserve to win at some point,whatever was the competition.In the long run these will be regarded as great movies.

K.M.

Here his victory could be explained since the ROTK score was like the ONLY noteworthy movie score released all bloody year.

That's far from the truth. There were several noteworthy scores this year.

Ray Barnsbury

so what William, what your saying then is that big deal Star Wars 7 wins were in the technical field, it doesn't matter, and FYI Star Wars was a small budgeted film.

You really can't compare the Oscars today to the Oscars of the late 70's. Completely different ball game. The Motion Picture Industry is a completely different beast now. Back when SW came out signifcant technical advances in Special Effects could come out of a small studio like Lucas' ILM (which was really nothing before SW was made).

The technical awards are great too, and when you have an ensemble film like LOTR, its hard to give alot of acting nominations.

An esemble cast didn't prevent Mystic River from getting acting Oscars.

The weaker acting field in LOTR and Jackson winning the Oscar for Best Director proves the statement once made that the "Est Director Oscar usuallt goes to the director with the best PRODUCED movie and NOT the BEST DIRECTED one!".

Jackson is a very good director, but definately not worthy of a Best Director Oscar.

Ahhh well ....... not like I care though.

I personally wasn't rooting for or against anyone this year.

Bill Murray was the only exception. Who I was admittedly pissed to see lose.

I severly doubt The makers of LOTR care about the fact they won against a weak field as long as they get to take home the BIG TROPHY! :devil:

RotK is not a weak movie ,it's not like last year when Chicago managed to get the Best Movie award.LotR did deserve to win at some point,whatever was the competition.In the long run these will be regarded as great movies.

K.M.

Didn;'t say ROTK was a weak movie.

I said it ran against a weak field. Which it was. In terms of Oscar worthy movies I mean. I mean this was HARDLY a year of major competition. What was ROTK's biggest competition really?

Mystic River? Thats HARDLY major comeptition.

Now of course its certainly not ROTK's fault that the movie faced weak competition. They just got lucky. :)