Oscars

diskobolus

• Replies 241
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

They don't make hummable pop songs any more Alexcremers. Why does it seem the world is degrading....

I know that pop is degrading but I still can hear hummable tunes. It should be noted that "hummable" can also make one puke though. Remember the days when Shitney Houston reigned the charts?

Yes that is true, however it is important for film music though, amoung other things.

One of the reasons that I adore North's 2001 is that it is great music. Should I ditch it because it is not hummable?

Empire of the Sun is not John's most hummable soundtrack, neither is his CE3K. Does that make them bad film music? If that were true then Hook is the best film music Williams has ever written.

----------------

Alex Cremers

One of the reasons that I adore North's 2001 is that it is great music. Should I ditch it because it is not hummable?

Not hummable? Listen to the start of the dawn of man and night terrors, a theme used a few times in the score, actually the main title, in typical North style, is a clever variation of this major theme of the score. And the middle of moon rocket bus. 2 strong melodies. North relied on themes a lot. You'll note them even in a score that's supposed to be primitive and atmosphereic.

Empire of the Sun is not John's most hummable soundtrack, neither is his CE3K. Does that make them bad film music? If that were true then Hook is the best film music Williams has ever written.

No, I'm just saying hummable themes are an important part of the genre, a little bit like I suppose developement is for symphonies, it's to do with leitmotif. Those scores clearly have leitmotif's.

Hehe, it's not a whistle along CD, but it certainly has themes. You see, that's how you be melodic without being MTV. :) Err, well not this North score as much as others. ;)

----------------

Alex Cremers

Yes, that's what I think.

To me it appears like "hummable" is what most people seek within film music. Isn't it why composers like James Horner or Hans Zimmer are so popular with soundtrack community and break sales numbers and lead pop charts? Good thing is that Williams doesn't give in to this trend. Then the scores like CE3K would never see the light of the day...or would really be very different

But most of Williams theme's are hummable. CE3K is an exception. And even from that, people always hum the five note.

Ce3k and Empire of the sun, you can easily hum them. If you want a score that's not humable.... try The Matrix, heh.

But most of Williams theme's are hummable. CE3K is an exception. And even from that, people always hum the five note.

Well there is also the government theme and the mountain.

But you are right, and North is the same way, that's sort of what I was trying to say.

Maybe you can, but is he catchy or memorible? Would you feel compelled to? :roll: No Stockhausen is not what I meant. :)

C'mon guys, you have to admit they all have a different hummable factor. CE3K is not Home Alone. Most of the Empire of the Sun tracks are not easy recognizable tunes. Do the test and try to hum it to folks that don't listen to soundtracks. You want Star Wars for that, not Empire of the Sun. That's why Star Wars is so popular, even with the MTV Jugend.

----------------

Alex Cremers

Well yes indeed for the airplane music and other stuff, but what about Jims New Life or of course Toy Planes, Home and Hearth. :)

I love Jim's New Life! Jim's New Life is hummable but it will never be a very recognizable tune to others than those who like the soundtrack. And Jim's new Life doesn't represent the entire CD.

In the case of North's 2001, I think you mistake tonal for hummable. They're not the same. Like I said before, if they hold a gun to my head in true 24 fashion, I will be able to hum Stockhausen from every imaginable hole of my body.

----------------

Alex Cremers

Try humming string staccato from Far And Away theme. A beautiful part but by no means easy to hum or whistle for me.

And yes, I was perhaps thinking "atonal" versus "tonal" and hence misinterpreted terms a bit here.

Has anyone ever been nominated for an oscar after getting an honorary one? It seems to pretty much sign your death warrant awards wise.

Spielberg won for Schindler's List a few years after receving the Irving Thalberg award.

1. Schindler's List, 1993

2. Silence of the Lambs, 1991

3. American Beauty, 1999

4. Unforgiven, 1992

5. Forest Gump, 1994

6. Dances with Wolves, 1990

7. English Patient, 1996

8. Braveheart, 1995  

9. Titanic, 1997  

10. Shakespeare in Love, 1998, I've seen it but I hardly remember this one.

That list is dead-on and of excellent taste. Joe placing Schinlder's List below Dances With Wolves...

Schindler's List is one of the most loved films on this board, but its a bit too loved, people have blinders on concerning its many errors and inaccuracies, and its smarmyness, besides I could watch Dances with Wolves alot more often than I could or would ever watch Schindler's List.

Joe, who thinks SL isn't in Spielberg's top 4 films.

I don't think any errors or inaccuracies matter there. He made the best movie he could've. And watchabilty doesn't always meen a better movie. You have far more invested in SL than in Dances With wolves, and I find watching it both a draining and uplifting experience. Danes With Wolves is great, one of the best movies ever, but It doesn't hit you an such an emotional level (all IMO of course).

And while we're at it -what are these blunders and inaccuracies?

and about Shakespeare in Love- I think it's a very good movie. I love it. A supremely entertaining movie (as most movies with Rush and Tom Wilkenson are), just totaly undeserving compared to Saving Private Ryan.

Also, I was thinking how often the acadamy got it right with the best picture- and here's my list:

1994- Forrest Gump (I like this about a hair more than Pulp Fiction)

1993- Schindler's List

1991- Silence of The Lambs

1984- Amadeus

1983- Terms of Endearment

1978- The Deer Hunter

1973- The Sting

1972- The Godfather

1971- The French Connection

1970- Patton

1966- A Man For All Seasons

1964- My Fair Lady

1962- Lawrence of Arabia

1960- The Apartment

IMO they got it all wrong in the 50's, and I only know a small amount of the ones before.

And while we're doing lists-

My choices for the 2000's:

2000- Traffic (followed by Crouching Tiger, followed by Gladiator)

2001- Moulin Rouge (followed by Gosford Park, followed by In The Bedroom)

2002- Gangs of New York (followed by nothing)

2003- Master and Commander (followed by Mystic River, followed by Lord of The Rings)

(Anyone who feels like making their own lists- please do. I love oscar lists.)

That's dark and unsettling? That's a great movie! West Side Story is a very good movie, but I just don't like the songs too much. (My favorite musicals are Signin' In The Rain and My Fair Lady.

I think Paul Newman won an Oscar for The Color of Money after receiving an Honoraray Award.

And Schindler's List is, hands dows, IMHO, probably the greatest film ever and Spielberg's supreme masterpiece.

Joe, who thinks SL isn't in Spielberg's top 4 films.

Here where I live they aired a documentary called (perhaps) "The Directors" that I guess was done after Saving Private Ryan was finished. It's that kind of "portrait of a director" and Spielberg spoke about his movies (no mention of JW in it). It was either cut off or he didn't talk about "Always" and "1941", and some more but these two stood out in my memory. But he said he considers Schindler's List to be his best, not only personal favorite but also the best done and as close to true events as possible. I just bring it up because I think it's an interesting opinion.

I would guess SL would be the most debatable "success" of Spielberg so far, and although the director himself thinks it his best (and I do, too), general acceptance varies as much as it can.

Roman, who doesn't think at the moment but thinks a condom rental would be a nice thing.-)

Here's my two cents on the RotK Oscar wins: the two awards I felt it didn't truly deserve were best score, and best visual effects.

Shore work was certainly an improvement over The Two Towers, but I thought Newman's score for Finding Nemo, as used in the film, was much more effective. It really caught my attention when I was sitting in theater watching the movie, and that's not an easy feat because the visuals are so captivating by themselves for an animation junkie like myself.

In the visual effects category, I felt Master and Commander was clearly the best. Perhaps ILM's work was too good, making it one of those movies where the effect are so realistic they don't attract the viewer's attention.

I do not, however, have a problem with RotK's win for best picture. It's about damned time the Academy got over its rather asinine pretentiousness and recognized a fantasy film.

Roman, who doesn't think at the moment but thinks a condom rental would be a nice thing.-)

What, what, what, what???!!!!

Neil

Neil

:):) Ditto :thumbup::thumbup:

It was either cut off or he didn't talk about "Always" and "1941", and some more but these two stood out in my memory. But he said he considers Schindler's List to be his best, not only personal favorite but also the best done and as close to true events as possible.  

really, because recently over at www.spielbergfilms.com, I read where he thinks ET is his most personal film. I agree. SL isn't his best by a long shot.

Joe, his most personal film isn't the same as his personal best. Spielberg points his finger at you!

----------------

Alex Cremers

Joe's correct about E.T., true. I'll watch the doc again over the weekend but despite him talking very fondly of E.T., SL is what he's been very proud of, proudest of all films he had done until 1998 (I think it was a documentary from 1999 or 2000). I didn't pay that much attention when I was taping it but E.T. was sort of his dream-come-true and sort of "gift" he wanted to give to children, but he said something like that he considers SL a work of art. I have problems explaining, I admit, but I hope I do make some sense. :nono:

Joe, don't you have E.T. on DVD? In the booklet, Spielberg clearly states that although he'd date to pick a favorite movie, Schindler's List is clearly the most meaningful one he has made, but E.T. is the most personal. Isn't it poignant that he mentions one movie in the special DVD edition of the other?

And Roman, I have seen that documentary too. I taped it in mid-1999, and it was fairly interesting, but I don't remember anything special about it other that some anecdote from an actor or two (Ben Kingsley comes to mind). I remember extensive screentime given to all things Schindler.

Neil

My psychotherapists say I shouldn't contemplate over matters of life so early in the morning, let alone post about it on the web and thus put shame on my fatherland, but when I woke up I thought some Durex rental shops could save me a lot of money I want to spend on something more durable that I think movies and music both are. Just a thought, though. Seems it wouldn't work that way, anyway... And the one of that kind that opened a month ago here doesn't prosper at all.

:P;):nono:

And Roman, I have seen that documentary too. I taped it in mid-1999, and it was fairly interesting, but I don't remember anything special about it other that some anecdote from an actor or two (Ben Kingsley comes to mind). I remember extensive screentime given to all things Schindler.

Yes, that's what i saw too. I couldn't almost recognize Mr. Kingsley in it. perhaps due to the fact that I haven't seen him in a long time...

and thanks...

:nono: