Oscars

diskobolus

Whew - I finally finished reading this mammoth thread in one go and I figured I've got to make a small post, just to make it worth my while ;). This year's Oscars were the most predictable in ages! I guessed every single winner correctly except for Best Score! Go figure. And the ceremony itself bored me to tears. Practically every presenter stuffed up their lines - and not even in a good way! ;)

CYPHER

• Replies 241
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Gah, Australia just has to be behind in broadcasting, doesn't it? Then I don't get on the bloody computer 'till 10:30 pm and I come across a whole topic on the Oscars!

I will say what has been said before, The Lord of the Rings: Return of the King deserved every songle award it received. I agree totally with Ren and a few others. These movies were ten times better than the Prequels or the Harry Potter movies. Score-wise is different, but Shore definately deserved it in this batch of nominations.

Now, if JW is refused a nomination for PoA and it's an excellent score I think I shall boycott the Oscars. Bunch of old fools. Except for RotK, they got that right! ;)

The better thing to do would have been treat Lord of the Rings as one film split into three parts. After all, that's exactly what the books are too. I got the feeling they tried to see it this way, especially with the Best Director, Picture awards but they could have tried harder.

Oh, and are you making a transcription of "The White Tree" Chris? That should be awesome. Are there any transcriptions of any other scores (especially JW's) that are noteworthy and haven't been published floating around? I have a transcrpition of "End of All Things" which is pretty good.

The better thing to do would have been treat Lord of the Rings as one film split into three parts. After all, that's exactly what the books are too.

I agree. Exactly what I strived to say in my previous posts.

I will say what has been said before, The Lord of the Rings: Return of the King deserved every songle award it received. I agree totally with Ren and a few others. These movies were ten times better than the Prequels or the Harry Potter movies. Score-wise is different, but Shore definately deserved it in this batch of nominations.

I disagree here. But don't want no quarrel over it at the moment nor I think it'd be worthy another long unending debate.

Roman.-)

True,who cares,nobody's seen em

Maybe they will now. :roll: The documentry guys always have something interesting to say too. ;)

How dare you Mark, call texass the south, its not a southern state, its southwestern.

Ahh yes Texas, it's abit like mini-Australia. ;)

Yes,exactly...the whole LotR scores can be thinned down to one c.d. of material without loss much important contents...the LotR are basically the same score stretched out for 3 movies,unlike Williams Indy and SW sequel scores.

That's not really true you know. They have new themes, slight style changes. Don't murder Shore just because LOTR is really one big movie split in 3 parts unlike what Williams had to score. ;)

ROTK was good but not a Best Pic winner IMO.

Hmm, well what exactly was? ROTK was very good, but I agree it's not a best pic winner, but I'm not sure, are any films nominated a masterpiece? I haven't seen all of them. But ROTK sure beats Mystic River and Master and Commander.

Spielberg was introduced to the worst rendition of Raiders I have ever heard

Which was no worse than the Gondor theme rendition.

FYI Star Wars was a small budgeted film.

Ohh? Wouldn't it have cost like say 60 million to 80 million in todays money for just the special fx? :)

The former really went a bit over-the-top in his performance.

Is this a joke? Penn was tasked with dealing with the death of a daughter. It should seem over the top, as the emotions would be.

The guy is very popular with the ULTRA-LIBERAL anti-Bush Hollywood crowd so it only made sense that he won.

;)

Bull fucking shit it was a weak year!!!! Mystic River, Seabiscuit, In America, Monster, American Splendor, X2, The Italian Job, Bend it Like Bekham, Whale Rider, House of Sand and Fog, Lost in Translation, Master and Commander, Finding Nemo, Cold Mountain, Girl with a Pearl Earing, and Love Actually to name a few, and Johnny Depps performance in Pirates WAS definitely oscar calibur. Please, he even won the SAG awards which to acting is the ultimate award. Return of the King didn't have competition, my ass!!! The reason it won is because the trilogy was an incredible feat and it won for ALL three of the movies together. Don't get me wrong, I love it, but to say that it was a weak year, well, depends on if you like good movies or geek flicks.... For geek flicks, yup, it was a weak year. Most geeky movies were crap (with the exceptions of X2 and ROTK) I will say this though, Sean Astin deserved an oscar nod for best supporting actor in ROTK.

Good movies? Geek movies? You saying a movies about murder, horse racing, crime, adverts have more potential than geek topics? :) I think you just have anti-geek ego problems. Anyway, I don't think any of the non-geeky movies I've seen so far are best picture material. Well maybe Finding Nemo. :)

nja, i dissagree. Sean Penn is an incredible actor who could out act pretty much any one out there right now. Sean Astin in ROTK, Cate Blanchet and Ian McKellen in any movie are the only three who even come close to him acting wise out of the main cast.... IMHO of course. Vigo???????? Orlando???? Liv????? I love them but they don't compare acting wise...

:) *nods*

Peter Jackson is a fat slob, who could have at least ran a comb through his hair.

He lacks the excessive display of vainity that most in hollywood have. ;)

ROTK desereved every award it won last night.

Only the technical awards.

Gah, Australia just has to be behind in broadcasting, doesn't it? Then I don't get on the bloody computer 'till 10:30 pm and I come across a whole topic on the Oscars!

It rates well here, so they have to put it on at peak time. ;)

Magical Me, I've done transcription of White Tree, to be found here: http://www.chrisafonso.de/lotr/RotK%20-%20...hite%20Tree.htm

I've also done a couple of other RotK transcription,mnore to follow, look for those on the recent pages of the RotK score thread.

There is an "End of all Things" transcription already? Where?

LOTR should have had 13 nominations in total. As I already said, the cinematography would not be out of place I think, but who knows, and one more nomination for the New Zealand itself. I heard them mentioning it during thanking speeches so many times that it seemed it really deserved one.

;)

It must have been privilege for Spielberg to announce that most-anticipatedcategory, don't you think?

;)

E.T. for Best Picture?  

Not in a million years!  

Most Over-use of melo-drama in a motion picture would be the only Oscar E.T. should ever be up for.

Uh, e-excuse me? Why do you have so little appreciation for our respect?

Douglas Trumbull was indeed nominated in '82 for Blade Runner. He didn't get it. Just like he didn't get it  in '77 for Close Encounters. That year the statue went to Star Wars.

No it didn't. Vilmos Zigmond won for best cinematography for CE3K. Neither Star Wars or Trumbull were nominated that year.

That was the only regular oscar CE3K got (it got one special one for sound editing too). As far as I know, Trumbull had nothign to do with that movie. Douglas Slocombe and William Fraker did some additional scenes, but I think that's it.

That was the only regular oscar CE3K got (it got one special one for sound editing too). As far as I know, Trumbull had nothign to do with that movie.

:mrgreen:

Douglas Trumbull was indeed nominated in '82 for Blade Runner. He didn't get it. Just like he didn't get it  in '77 for Close Encounters. That year the statue went to Star Wars.

No it didn't. Vilmos Zigmond won for best cinematography for CE3K. Neither Star Wars or Trumbull were nominated that year.

you are incorrect about Douglas Trumball, he was nominated for best visual effects, but as we know the award went to Star Wars.

http://www.littlegoldenguy.com/movies.asp?movid=1836

and I am sorry to anyone who thinks Blade Runner should ever had beaten a film like E.T.

The award wasn't about the spaceship effects in ET, it was ET himself that was brought to life by visual effects people that caused the film to win the award. ET was and is real, except for William, who doesn't count anyways.

Oooooooookay- my bad. I got totaly mixed up (obviously, I thought you were talking about cinematography. Trumball's name sounded extremely familiar, I just didn't rememebr exactly from where)

Morlock- who could guess what Alex's next post would be like

ROTK seems destined to win nearly everything except acting Oscars.  

I guess this is what happens when your movie opens against an exceptionally WEAK field.  

OH and I totally agree about Shore winning in 2002. That was BS!

Here his victory could be explained since the ROTK score was like the ONLY noteworthy movie score released all bloody year.

since I am picking on you William, let me point out that the only

film Spielberg won Best Picture for was in a year that it was the only worthy nominee. I mean really who remembers Remains of the Day, In the Name of the Father, and the Piano. Sometimes the best Picture wins by default, sometimes it wins in a crowded field.

Either way it still wins.

I remember Remains of the Day very well, thank you. Almost perfect movie. I actually remember all your other mentioned movies, but Remains of the Day is more special to me.

Many people remember Remains of the Day and The Piano. (I have yet to see either) But I am confident that SL would've beaten anybody.

As far as the best picture winners of the 90's this is how I rate them

1. Titanic, 1997

2. Silence of the Lambs, 1991

3. American Beauty, 1999

4. Dances with Wolves, 1990

5. Schindler's List, 1993

6. Forest Gump, 1994

7. Braveheart, 1995

8. Unforgiven, 1992

9. Shakespear in Love, 1998

10. English Patient, 1996

[  Spielberg won Best Picture for was in a year that it was the only worthy nominee..

True,I don't think Schindler's List is Spielberg's best film,or that JW deserved the Oscar more than for some of his other scores that didn't win.They gave it to him because it was different than what he usually didi and maybe that year he profited from the bandwagon effect of SL.

Anyways in a short clip on Extra,Spielberg said this was a great years for the oscars,where those who enjoy fantasy films finally got to see such a film rewarded

K.M.

1. Schindler's List, 1993

3. American Beauty, 1999

4. Unforgiven, 1992

5. Forest Gump, 1994

6. Dances with Wolves, 1990

7. English Patient, 1996

8. Braveheart, 1995

9. Titanic, 1997

10. Shakespeare in Love, 1998, I've seen it but I hardly remember this one.

As far as the best picture winners of the 90's this is how I rate them:

2. Forrest Gump, 1994

3. Silence of The Lambs, 1991

4. Dances With Wolves, 1990 (Goodfellas should've gotten it)

5. Titanic, 1997 (L.A. Confidential shoudl've gotten it)

6. Braveheart, 1995

7. Shakespeare in Love, 1998 (Saving Private Ryan should've gotten it)

8. American Beauty, 1999

9. Unforgiven, 1992

10. The English Patient, 1996 (Fargo should've gotten it)(I despise this movie. IMO one of the worst movies ever)

Schindler's List was up against some nifty competition. The Piano would've won any other year. The Remains of the Day, Ismail Merchant and James Ivory at the top of their career. But only Schindler's List could've won that year. Besides Schindler's List's important subject and the massive commotion it stirred up (before, during and afterwards), the movie also was amazingly great with an important story to tell, some very good acting performances, incredible cinematography and a beautiful soundtrack. Spielberg did stunning work!

----------------

Alex Cremers

(Fargo should've gotten it

no, that movie is foul, absolutely foul, and so unworthy of a best actress win, the academy was digging deep in someones ass that year to pick her.

Joe, who still maintains that in his nearly 44 years, that no year was better for film than 1982, not even close.

There have been many years better than 1982.  

then name them, those within your lifetime or mine starting in 1960.

then watch me shoot them down one by one.

not at all, I would be fair, and too the point, and compare them against 1982. are you game or are you chicken. :):)

Joe, who must go make some mexican pizza's

'82 was a good year indeed. No argument from me here. But I hope this year's Oscars prove to Joe that they don't mean ****, because he always holds them in such high esteem.

1. American Beauty, 1999

2. Forest Gump, 1994

3. Braveheart, 1995

4. Schindler's List, 1993

5. Titanic, 1997

6. Silence of the Lambs, 1991

7. Dances with Wolves, 1990

Dunno the rest, err well I saw some of Shakespeare in Love but fell asleep.

If the Oscars are so meaningless, just look at what happens to LOTR, ROTK's boxoffice the next few weeks. In the movie industry they have meaning, whether we like the outcome or not.

Pity, they are successful without the little statues. Giving LotR the awards is like giving money to Bill Gates. What a world, what a world. :)

Since Williams hadn`t scored anything last year it would have been cool if they had given him the Lifetime Achievement Award instead of Blake Edwards

K.M.

Here here, but Goldsmith should get it first as he's been given less credit by the academy and is losing health.

Well too bad, Alex North got one in the 80's.

What probably has to happen is that the music department that picks the nominations has to beg the academy to give one of them an award. :) Considering how much they like Williams it's more likely that he'll get in that Goldsmith. After all, they nominated about a third of North's output. But I dunno, Williams has won 5 times already.

BTW,5 oscars,who else has that much or more,can you list them.I know it`s not the most,but there can`t be that many(in any category)

K.M.

Has anyone ever been nominated for an oscar after getting an honorary one? It seems to pretty much sign your death warrant awards wise.

They would be unlikely to give out that award twice to a composer.

K.M.

I think they'd make an exception for Williams. I'm sure Herrmann would have gotten one- if only he wouldn't have died relatively young.

BTW, while we're talking about North- is there a CD release for The Dead? I just recently saw the movie, and I'm dying for the soundtrack.

I'm sure he does...he still attends the ceremony.And he looked pretty bummed out when the best score Oscar to LotR was announced in 2002 AND HE WAS ON THE STAGE CONDUCTING THE ORCHESTRA!

BTW anyone spotted Williams this year in the crowd?

K.M.

BTW, while we're talking about North- is there a CD release for The Dead? I just recently saw the movie, and I'm dying for the soundtrack

It's pretty typical North, yes he is always great. But he's done better. :) Yes there are copies of it around... umm contact me? :)

I think they'd make an exception for Williams. I'm sure Herrmann would have gotten one- if only he wouldn't have died relatively young.

Ohh Rozsa didn't get one though and he died in 1995, you never know.

As far as the best picture winners of the 90's this is how I rate them

I would rate them as follows:

3. Braveheart, 1995

4. American Beauty, 1999

5. Titanic, 1997

6. Forest Gump, 1994

7. English Patient, 1996

8. Unforgiven, 1992

9. Dances with Wolves, 1990

10. Shakespeare in Love, 1998

BTW,5 oscars,who else has that much or more

Doesn't Alan Menken have twice as many as JW if I omit Fiddler on the Roof from the list? I haven't checked but I think I read somewhere Menken has, uhm, eight?

They don't make hummable pop songs any more Alexcremers. Why does it seem the world is degrading....

Yes that is true, however it is important for film music though, amoung other things.