Oscars

diskobolus

And what's weird is even if you try to deny or stop "believing" the religion you were thought,some subconcious parts remain engrained no matter what.

K.M.Who doesn't think this is a religious topic,but how your religion may affect a movie going experiences,just in case Neil wonders.

• Replies 241
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I plan on seeing that movie as you suggest, King.

I'm not suggesting anything,I haven't seen it yet.

K.M.

I didn't mean "Zelary", that our loser, I meant the movie you were glad it won, The Barbarian Invasions. But I get your point, you haven't seen it yet. But we're seeing it despite that...

;)

I hope they didn't found the rule to prevent John Williams from getting nonpareil number of nominations. Sure it's known to public he's going to work on sequel scores and ruling them out of competing may have been intentional. I wouldn't be surprised for this rule to be found illogical after JW has gone on retirement. But hope fails... ;)

He didn't even win for Harry Potter or any of the Indy scores.It makes no sense whatsoever he should be barred from winning for any of those series ever.

K.M.

I think these people will say they're trying to give other composers a chance, but come on it isn't John Williams fault that they suck and he is phenominal.

I think these people will say they're trying to give other composers a chance, but come on it isn't John Williams fault that they suck and he is phenominal.

Very well said.

That would be shortsighted had this been the foundation for the "rule". And it is always the music that wins the nods, not the names or backstage huckstery.

I didn't meet yet someone who really hated LotR,indifferent is the worst i've seen

Hate is a strong word. I hate Attack of the Clones and As Good As It Gets.

Besides your hatred towards them, I really fail to see why these two are in the same sentence. They are each other's opposites in every thinkable way. Everything AOTC is not, As Good As It Gets is.

----------------

Alex Cremers

Yeah, they have absolutely nothing in common.

Except to me they are both pieces of garbage movies that I regret ever having to sit/sleep through. I can find no redeeming values in either film. I originally was responing to KM who said he never met anyone who hated LOTR. I mentioned 2 movies that I would go so far as to actively hate, while FOTR didn't make that list, though maybe it should.

Neil

;)

It's ridiculous that Shore won again while JW missed all those oscars many of you already mentioned. Maybe they just picked it because of the lack of better candidates? Anyway, what the Academy does is just laughable, I will say no more.

ok.......

Of course you need not elaborate on why you hate AoTC, but may I ask why you hate As Good As It Gets?

Since I liked the movie, but either way, I can't imagine how someone could actively hate it. It seems rather harmless to me either way. And, being a mega Simpsons fan, I'm a huge Jim Brooks fan (I loved Broadcast News and Terms of Endearment).

;)

It's ridiculous that Shore won again while JW missed all those oscars many of you already mentioned. Maybe they just picked it because of the lack of better candidates? Anyway, what the Academy does is just laughable, I will say no more.

Yeah, they just wanted to give LoTR another one, to hell with the rules. But a sweep I think negates alot of what they won- it's like the acadamy just wanted to be cool and give it everything, when there are a few that the competition are so much better.

I don't know. Each year has the academy make moves that I don't always agree totally with, but I'm for one glad LOTR thingy is over, at least honoring-wise. These eleven Oscars--well, they more or less belong to the whole bundle that all three parts presented separately in the past three years, and to me, eleven statuettes is a bit too much for one third of the film but some hard work was put into making it, so why not award it? I don't like the movies at all, but I'd say they broke some grounds here and there and if nothing they gave me the chance to see New Zealand the way I have never had the chance, so I'm practically satisfied with cinematography.

My biggest problem has been the score and song category, but the score itself even more. Overall, I would have given the scores something like Big Achievement Award and would never separate each installment one from another. But that's just me and it may have been Lord's will to make things happen the way they have...

But thank you, if for nothing than for the fact that someone had the idea to bring in Edward Ross and have him sing "In Dreams", my instant hair-raiser...., but that's another story...

;)

ok.......

Of course you need not elaborate on why you hate AoTC, but may I ask why you hate As Good As It Gets?  

Since I liked the movie, but either way, I can't imagine how someone could actively hate it. It seems rather harmless to me either way. And, being a mega Simpsons fan, I'm a huge Jim Brooks fan (I loved Broadcast News and Terms of Endearment).

I'm also a huge Simpsons fan, so I won't turn this into a pissing contest.

What I remember of AGAIG is that except for the language, it was "Z-grade" Lifetime movie of the week. Mind you, counting the ceiling tiles and eventually falling asleep during it seemed like more viable options than actually sitting there and watching the movie being projected on-screen.

And yes, Stew, Peter Jackson was just grotesque looking last night. I thought his acceptance speech would consist of "Bo shuda.

Neil

Peter Jackson is a fat slob, who could have at least ran a comb through his hair.

I didn't meet yet someone who really hated LotR,indifferent is the worst i've seen

Well then, it is time you do LOL I rented The Fellowship of the Ring as soon as it came out, because everyone reccomended it. Now I'm a fantasy fan, but this was really one of the most boring movies I ever saw. I don't mind long movies, and especially not fantasy but this was just a bunch of crap.

I went to The Two Towers, hoping it wouldn't be as boring, but nooo.. it wasn't any different. The special effects were outstanding though, but special effects is not everything. I refused to see The Return of the King. Basically what happens in that film is when they *finally* throw that godforsaken ring in the lava, something that should have happend thousands of years ago. If I was that elf man, I would have pushed both that guy WITH the ring in the lava, but nooooo ;) his ''kindness of not killing anyone'' was stronger than the fate of all living creatures on earth.

Hehe, well, that's just my opinion... I'm alone though, everyone around me seems to love the movies.

So, LOTR not... does anybody know if a composer gets paid everytime a theme of his is played on the Academy Awards? Isn't it a royalty? If so, Howard Shore is a lucky guy.

What I remember of AGAIG is that except for the language, it was "Z-grade" Lifetime movie of the week.  Mind you, counting the ceiling tiles and eventually falling asleep during it seemed like more viable options than actually sitting there and watching the movie being projected on-screen.

Neil

Except, they don't make films like that every week. I think it's safe to presume Neil likes his movies a little more action-oriented. Let's just say, he's not ready for the other virtues of life. Neeeeext!

----------------

Alex Cremers- who's expecting Neil to hit back at him in full throttle.

No, I just don't care for films being marketed as comedies that contatin horrifically violent scenes.

Neil - who thinks Alex's "Neeeeext" was a little to Thaxton-esque

I loved As Good As It Gets, and thought it the only real challanger to Titanic for best picture.

Joe, who thinks Jack Nicholson is the most overrated personality in Hollywood, as he only plays his own persona, but he was actually good in AGAIG.

Overrated? I don't think so, not anymore. His presence in a movie is incredible and well worth it. Ok, he's Nicholson, so what? That's why they call him for. You gotta love Jack.

Despite a few flaws, About Schmidt was one of my favorite movies last year.

----------------

Alex Cremers

Overrated? I don't think so, not anymore. His presence in a movie is incredible and well worth it. Ok, he's Nicholson, so what? That's why they call him for. You gotta love Jack.

Despite a few flaws, About Schmidt was one of my favorite movies last year.  

----------------

Alex Cremers

And Anger Management was played well IMO.

I'm really beginning to wonder about this board............

ROTK desereved every award it won last night.

Quick fact, John Williams, while he is my favorite composer, is not the only one out there writing music for films and believe it or not there are scores out there that are better than some of his.

As Good As It Gets was a very good film, Titanic is a very good film and deserved all of the awards it received.

The reason why films like Jaws, The Exorcist and The Omen were scary is due to the fact that audiences had not been exposed to that type of violence on the big screen. Nowadays it's practically on T.V. every night so we are used to it.

I guess the new fad is to trash every film made before 1990.

I guess the new fad is to trash every film made before 1990.

I prefer trashing films made after 1990, though not all of them.

Some of the Oscars given to ROTK were really just part of the bandwagon. Not the dismiss the acomplishments of the incredible artists envolved in these movies but the make-up award, for example,. They had already won, deservedly so, for FOTR. In ROTK, the make-up effect were almost the same. Several technical achivementes were overlooked in other movies that were great in those departments (The Last Samurai, the Girl with the Pearl Earring. M & C, POTC). At least give those films on oscar. Give The Last Samurai best production design, give Pearl Earring best Cinematography, Give M & C best sound (although it still won a couple of oscars), give POTC best make up. The Directing Oscar was fair because of all the scope of the project, the unprecedent nature of it. But not best picture. And don't get me started on best score.

I loved As Good As It Gets, and thought it the only real challanger to Titanic for best picture.

I think L.A. Confidential was the best movie of that year, and one of the best ever. But I loved Titanic, and as I said, liked As Good as it gets alot.

ROTK desereved every award it won last night.

No it didn't.

As Good As It Gets was a very good film, Titanic is a very good film and deserved all of the awards it received.

No it didn't. But it did deserve most of them and was second in line for just about all of them.

Quick fact, John Williams, while he is my favorite composer, is not the only one out there writing music for films and believe it or not there are scores out there that are better than some of his.

Is this new? I think this is what most people here think. Certainly I'd never say something like "JW's worst is better than everyone elses best", but I believe his best is far better than anyone elses, and his worst is also better than other composers worst.

Some of the Oscars given to ROTK were really just part of the bandwagon. Not the dismiss the acomplishments of the incredible artists envolved in these movies but the make-up award, for example,. They had already won, deservedly so, for FOTR. In ROTK, the make-up effect were almost the same. Several technical achivementes were overlooked in other movies that were great in those departments (The Last Samurai, the Girl with the Pearl Earring. M & C, POTC). At least give those films on oscar. Give The Last Samurai best production design, give Pearl Earring best Cinematography, Give M & C best sound (although it still won a couple of oscars), give POTC best make up. The Directing Oscar was fair because of all the scope of the project, the unprecedent nature of it. But not best picture. And don't get me started on best score.

Just how I feel. (I agree about the four movies and the awards they should've won). And when I think about it, I would agree with a picture/ director split.

Not the Zimmer music- I know the Rock by heart. I mean the very first and very last piece of music played. I think it's Doyle's Secondhand Lions, but that's just a hunch.

Wow, I go to sleep then work and what do i miss? I come home to a 3 page thread on the oscars. .. .phew

After reading it I get the gist from many of you that you still think ROTK didn't deserve, or whatever. . . that's ok. I think it deserved every oscar it received. It has raised the bar on movie making.

Wael, Let's just say I absolutely whole-heartedly agree with every word you said.

I loved Billy performance of Old Man River, Maria and other tunes at the opening of the oscars. For the most part I thought everything was tastefully done. I didn't want to be Howard Shore in the audience while Annie Lennox was singing. I didn't think she did a great job on that song in that particular performance. Though I think her voice quality is perfect for it otherwise.

And I wanted to cringe everytime the Gondor theme was played. . .those violin arpeggios. . .ouch~

Braveheart, Lord of the Rings, etc, blahblah. What are they but just movies about male bonding after a good fight accompanied by some broad epic cliché theme?

Braveheart, Lord of the Rings, etc, blahblah.  What are they but just movies about male bonding after a good fight accompanied by some broad epic cliché theme?
:roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll:

Here his victory could be explained since the ROTK score was like the ONLY noteworthy movie score released all bloody year.

That's far from the truth. There were several noteworthy scores this year.

Ray Barnsbury

Ummmm such as?

Sorry but I wholeheartedly disagree with you on this one. I have seen numerous people on here (practically everyone) admitting this was a HORRIBLE year for scores.

I mean the most noteworthy score release after ROTK was what?

Last of the Samurai? Which is good, but nothing approaching Oscar Worthy.

Ummmm such as Sinbad, Peter Pan, Big Fish, X2 . . . there are really great scores. And I don't give a damn about what 'practically everyone' thinks. That doesn't make it true.

Ray Barnsbury

I know I haven't been to this site in eons, and my icon over there to the left ( <--------------------- ) still shows ALF in Santa garb (unless I feel like changing it), but tonight I watched the final big three awards of the Oscars, and one piece of music stood out.  When the cast and crew present for The Return of the King stepped onstage, I really liked the rendition of the Gondor/Minas Tirith theme that featured pulsing strings.  Does anyone know if this piece of music will become available in the near future, if it's not already out? because it's certainly not on the soundtrack album that way.

It's certainly on the soundtrack album that way, track 4 "The White Tree". Just faster (although the slow playing at the oscars had one advantage, I was able to hear the String accompaniment better than on the CD, and will rework that part of my piano arrangement :))

I agree almost 100% with Ray. Even though I still think this was a pretty lackluster year for film scores, Sinbad, X2, peter Pan, Big Fish, and I would add the Hulk and Children of Dune were all noteworthy scores.

Braveheart, Lord of the Rings, etc, blahblah.  What are they but just movies about male bonding after a good fight accompanied by some broad epic cliché theme?

I won't insult your intelligence by believing you really mean that.

I didn't think Rotk should have won for best song. Tripplets of Belleville had a great song. Hey BTW did any one see Bill Murray's face when he didn't win he looked like he was going to cry! I felt bad for him.

Some of the Oscars given to ROTK were really just part of the bandwagon. At least give those films on oscar. ... give Pearl Earring best Cinematography ...

Return of the King was not nominated for best cinematography.

I personally thought it was the best Oscar show in ages.

Its about damn time a scifi/fantasy film finally wins best picture. It should have given one out for the 1977 films, and for the 1982 films.

Return of the King was not nominated for best cinematography.

I apparently didn't pay enough attention to the nominations of LOTR. Seriously, I thought it had been nominated for cinematography. This is the one I, believe it or not, think the movies would have deserved.

I thought that in 1982 E.T. received the Oscar for best Special Effects. I remember thinking that, besides the puppet, what else is there? Was it E.T.'s spaceship leaving Earth? I love E.T. but I didn't think it should've won for best effects. Through the years I learned to take the Oscars with a grain of salt. It's a show. They usually go for the most popular film. It's the quality of a film itself that will determine whether in 30 years a film is still alive and kicking.

Let's see what's left of LotR when the craze is over. Let's see if people still talk about it long after the hype is gone.

----------------

Alex Cremers

E.T. for Best Picture?

Not in a million years!

Most Over-use of melo-drama in a motion picture would be the only Oscar E.T. should ever be up for.

I agree with Alex on the visual effects thing. And If I'm not mistaken, that was the year of Blade Runner, that as far as effects go, was much more impressive than E.T. There's still the bike chase, though.

At least ET, had a melodramatic ending that moved me to tears (thank also JW of course), an aspect in which ROTK failed miserably, IMHO, and I adore those books and characters. Now that was forced emotion.

Douglas Trumbull was indeed nominated in '82 for Blade Runner. He didn't get it. Just like he didn't get it in '77 for Close Encounters. That year the statue went to Star Wars.

----------------

Alex Cremers