Rank Spielberg's films

Morlock

Its not your opinion of the star system that counts, just use 4 stars so that Morlock can average the way he wants.  Is that so damn difficult for some of you to do.

I didn't know he was going to average things, I'm sorry already. But he can multiply my ratings by 4/5, it won't be that difficult either :fouetaa: Just kidding, he can diminish my ratings by one star.

1. Schindler's List ****

2. E.T. the Extra-Terrestrial ****

3. Jurassic Park ***

4. Empire of the Sun ***

5. Close Encounters of the Third Kind ***

6. The Color Purple ***

7. Raiders of the Lost Ark ***

8. Catch Me If You Can **

9. Jaws **

10. Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade **

11. Indiana Jones and the Temple of Doom **

12. Minority Report **

13. Saving Private Ryan *

14. Lost World: Jurassic Park, The *

15. Artificial Intelligence *

16. 1941 *

17. Always *

18. Hook 1/2*

19. Amistad

Have yet to see The Sugarland Express movie; never heard the score as well.

Yes, cope with it how you can. :mrgreen:

Though it might look strict, thing is I don't like using half's so that would be 3 stars on 5-star rating. Plus, it's too raw of a movie for me. And the scarier side of it is that it actually does happen in the seas (sharks eat people's limbs) is even scarier to me.

Meanwhile...

4 stars -- masterpiece

3 stars -- excellent

2 stars -- very good

1 star -- not bad but not my favorite, too

no star -- waste of celluloid

Roman, what's the Hook rating again? It has a half, but it's in a confusing position.

Great list, by the way. We'll do something about A.I.

Roman, what's the Hook rating again? It has a half, but it's in a confusing position.

Great list, by the way. We'll do something about A.I.

It is just one star. I tried to imitate a half-star rating as I was wavering between nothing and one star but I concluded one star will suit the purpose for me. I saw "Hook" only twice and although I wasn't bored, I didn't like it that much.

As for "A.I.", the movie, I like it because it has, beside JW's score, Haley Osment in it. It's a picture-perfect performance by the actor and the first 30-40 minutes or so are the movie's best moments. I'm fallen for Osment's acting, so I could be biased already. I have also, like many here, problems with the middle part, that's why I won't place "A.I." any higher on my scale. The multiple-endings story is a bit confusing, but I nevertheless end up in tears when curtain finally falls down, so I don't trash the film as a whole. In the end, it's Spielberg whom I will never abandon. And, in the very end, it's "only" the movie... :P

I expect cold shower from Joe once he'll have spotted me placing Jaws that "low" on my list. I might better leave for home yet...

:mrgreen:

Read the rankings from bottom to top position and you get the results. :P

Thats a thought! :sigh:

Still I'd like an actual poll to get the best overall consensus. ;)

It's done!

Here are the star ratings and ranks the films of Steven Spielberg have been given by JWfan.net.

Two Notes:

A. The Star Rating List is the more indicative and accurate of the two, as not everyone listed then by rank. Notice that there is a pretty big difference between the two lists- especialy Duel (though the top 4 spots have the same four scores on both lists)

B. In the Star Rating list, there were two ties, which I resolved by the rank of the movies in the second list.

By Star Rating:

1. Raiders of The Lost Ark- Star Rating: 3.83

2. Schindler's List- Star Rating: 3.78

3. E.T.- Star Rating: 3.76

4. Jaws- Star Rating:3.7

5. Jurrasic Park- Star Rating: 3.58

6. The Color Purple- Star Rating: 3.5

7. Close Encounters of The 3rd Kind- Star Rating: 3.3

8. The Sugarland Express- Star Rating: 3.3

9. Duel- Star Rating: 3.3

10. Minority Report- Star Rating: 3.21

11. Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade- Star Rating: 3.19

12. Saving Private Ryan- Star Rating: 3.13

13. Empire of The Sun- Star Rating: 3.13

14. Catch Me If You Can- Star Rating: 3.11

15. Indiana Jones and the Temple of Doom- Star Rating: 2.66

16. Amistad- Star Rating: 2.57

17. Hook- Star Rating: 2.5

18. A.I.- Star Rating: 2.3

19. 1941- Star Rating: 2.2

20. The Lost World- Star Rating: 2.13

21. Always- Star Rating: 2.03

By Rank:

1. E.T.- Rank: 3.7

2. Raiders of The Lost Ark- Rank: 4.07

3. Schindler's List- Rank: 4.3

4. Jaws- Rank: 4.9

5. Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade- Rank: 8.5

6. Minority Report- Rank: 8.66 (tie)

6. The Color Purple- Rank: 8.66 (tie)

8. Close Encounters of The 3rd Kind- Rank: 8.7

9. Saving Private Ryan- Rank: 8.85

10. Empire of The Sun- Rank: 10.13

11. Jurrasic Park- Rank: 10.21

12. Indiana Jones and the Temple of Doom- Rank: 10.57

13. Catch Me If You Can- Rank: 11.15

14. A.I.- Rank: 12.5

15. The Sugarland Express- Rank: 12.7

16. Hook- Rank: 13.96

17. Amistad- Rank: 14.33

18. The Lost World- Rank: 14.71

19. 1941- Rank: 15.09

20. Duel- Rank: 16.2

21. Always- Rank: 17.72

Thank for your cooperation! ;):P:sigh:

I'm working on writing a piece that explores those issues. For me this is not something that can be just explained in a post.

Anybody else think these 2 statements are totally contradictory?

I'm working on writing a piece that explores those issues. For me this is not something that can be just explained in a post.

Anybody else think these 2 statements are totally contradictory?

By post I mean briefly written in terms of both time and length.

So how many pages are you writing?

Haven't even started. I'm writing my java classes at the moment. If you are interested, feel free to google DreamworksSKG A.I. Talkback and read all posts by diskobolus_player.

NB this is my 500th post. i like how it ended up pertaining to a.i.

This is difficult. I love most oof Speilberg's movies quite a bit, so it's almost like ranking loved things, which can be difficult. All of them, even the ones I don't like as much as others, are still very, very good films, IMO.

These are my personal rankings according to my taste. They are not meant to say my opinion is better than others... this is just my opinion.

01. Raiders of the Lost Ark ****

02. Indiana Jones and the Temple of Doom ****

03. Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade ****

04. E.T. the Extra-Terrestrial ****

05. A.I. Artificial Intelligence ****

06. Schindler's List ****

07. Jurassic Park ****

08. The Lost World: Jurassic Park ****

09. Jaws ****

10. Hook ****

11. Empire of the Sun ****

12. Saving Private Ryan ***1/2

13. Minority Report ***1/2

14. 1941 ***

15. Close Encounters of the Third Kind ***

16. Always ***

17. Duel ***

18. The Sugarland Express **1/2

19. Catch Me If You Can **1/2

20. Amistad **1/2

--. The Color Purple (NO RATING) I have not seen this yet mainly because Johnny didn't do the score and secondly, I've just plain never seen it on TV.

I was wondering how Chris got 20 movies by using Duel, which isn't a theatrical film. Its just an above average tv movie of the week, practically Lifetime tv stuff.

we've discussed that at your site Steven, I don't think Duel is anything but a tv movie, its an orange, and Spielberg's movies are apples. They are not the same.

And Duel while it is very good isn't one of the great tv movies, its not in Lonesome Doves quality. I don't even think its as good as the Mission, which is a tv show.

20. Always

19. Hook

18. 1941

17. Empire of the Sun

16. Indiana Jones and the Temple of Doom

15. Amistad

14. Lost World: Jurassic Park, The

13. AI: Artificial Intelligence

12. Color Purple The

11. Catch Me If You Can

10. Sugarland Express, The

9. Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade

8. Minority Report

7. Jurassic Park

6. Close Encounters of the Third Kind

5. Raiders of the Lost Ark

4. Jaws

3. Saving Private Ryan

2. Schindler's List

(Drumroll.......................................)

1. E.T. the Extra-Terrestrial

I got bad news for you, Joe. It IS one of the very great TV movies and always has been. It even accomplished something not many TV movies did before or after. It actually had gotten an theatrical release outside the US. And what's more, Joe, it is a classic; many TV films that came after tried to copy Duel. It defined a genre. It has the most simple subject and yet it's a full length effective TV movie. It has a amazing "killer" ending. And people still use it as a reference. It's a blueprint movie for films like Jaws and The Terminator.

I'm afraid 'just above average' doesn't apply to Duel. A genius is at work here. I'm sorry that you missed all that.

----------------

Alex Cremers

Alex, I saw Duel the night it originally aired. Its an above average tv movie, and nothing more, its not genius. The fact that it was released overseas means nothing. It suffers on the big screen from the fact that it was shot strictly for tv and looks akward and cropped. I saw it at a midnight showing here in town too.

I'm sorry you see more than that whats there.

Alex, I saw Duel the night it originally aired.  Its an above average tv movie, and nothing more, its not genius.  The fact that it was released overseas means nothing.  It suffers on the big screen from the fact that it was shot strictly for tv and looks akward and cropped.  I saw it at a midnight showing here in town too.

I'm sorry you see more than that whats there.

The world doesn't just disapper when you bury your head in the sand.

The world doesn't just disapper when you bury your head in the sand.

and that is some kind of meaningful retort?

Joe, things made for TV. There's more to a good movie that how 'big' it seems.

Personally I think the soprano's is better than any mob movie except Little Caesar from the 30's.

I know we've talked about it before Joe. I was just hoping to prod you with a stick a bit to see you get your angry old man thing going :angry:

"I walked through 20 straight miles of snow drifts and battled a Yeti to see Duel on opening night when you weren't even a stain in your father's pants!" - Joe.

As always, I have great respect for your opinion, no matter how much it differs, but I'd have to say Alex is seeing the film for what most do (certainly myself included). The film stands head and shoulders above the majority of nearly every TV movie ever committed to film, just from its purely brilliant construction (storytelling and visually).

To say Duel is a lesser work than Spielberg's The Mission is debatable, but its highly debatable since The Mission, while fun, is a flawed work that doesn't even enter the same league as Duel.

You seem to have a preconceived prejudice for Duel, stemming mostly from its lineage I would guess. If it was released theatrically instead of for TV first in the States, do you think it would've changed your opinion? The film came very close to being made for the theatre, but the big sticking point was a lack of a marquee name to make Universal back it as such.

And you can bet, despite having to compose his images for the Academy ratio (which ain't no shame?many of cinema's masters spent their entire careers within that squarish frame) that Spielberg shot that film like a theatrical film (its more than evident, as it is in every TV work he did) and not the run of the mill quick TV filler.

So give us some detail?what exactly doesn't work for you that keeps you from valuing the film like so many others?

What does the fact that you did see it on the night it first aired add to your argument?

I was thinking the same thing. I also don't happen to agree with the statement that overseas releases don't mean a thing. I find it quite a bit a strange remark, not to say offensive. It's certainly not a valid argument.

I was thinking the same thing. I also don't happen to agree with the statement that overseas releases don't mean a thing. I find it quite a bit a strange remark, not to say offensive. It's certainly not a valid argument

I was just pointing out that I have been familiar with the film for a long time.

why are you offended when I saw so what to a theatrical release overseas.

Why not just show it the way it was meant to be seen, on tv. It was funny to see Steven in the back seat on the big screen, how did that guy get there my friend asked.

I dunno, I guess it is being a bit of an america-centred snob.

LOL! I'm happy to see that my inclusion of Duel has added to this thread, LOL!

I liked it quite a bit, although I only saw it once, as you can see, I liked it better than some of Steven's big-screen films. :pukeface:

As for Morn, I agree with you: The Sopranos is better than most films out there.

I dunno, I guess it is being a bit of an america-centred snob.

that wasn't the point I was making, but if some of you are sensitive, get over it.

my point was and is that Duel is a tv movie, always has been regardless that it was show theatrically overseas. It was meant for the small screen. Seeing Duel on the big screen is like watching How the West was Won, on a tv in Pan in Scan. Neither format was what it was designed for.

Plain and simple, now take your feelings off your shoulders.

my point was and is that Duel is a tv movie, always has been regardless that it was show theatrically overseas. It was meant for the small screen. Seeing Duel on the big screen is like watching How the West was Won, on a tv in Pan in Scan. Neither format was what it was designed for.

What does what device you watch it with have to do with it's quality as a movie though?

Yeah, I felt my posts asking Joe to give us his views in detail were completely ignored! What gives Joe? Scared to step up to the plate? :thumbup: And who was heckling that poor A.I. fan in another thread about giving his views of why A.I. is great?

• 20 years later...

A twenty year old thread? Don't mind if I do. I'll only rank the ones I've seen, obviously.

Schindler's List

Jaws

Close Encounters of the Third Kind

Saving Private Ryan

Jurassic Park

Raiders of the Lost Ark

E.T.

Lincoln

Munich

The Last Crusade

Minority Report

Kingdom of the Crystal Skull

Tintin

Temple of Doom

The Terminal

War Horse

The BFG

War of the Worlds

Catch Me if you Can

West Side Story

A.I.

Amistad

The Lost World

Hook

Why not? Here is my list, with ratings from 1 to 5 (only those that I've seen, of course):

Schindler's List 5/5

A.I. Artificial Intelligence 5/5

Minority Report 5/5

Jurassic Park 5/5

E.T. the Extra-Terrestrial 4/5

Munich 4/5

Saving Private Ryan 4/5

Empire of the Sun 4/5

War Horse 4/5

Jaws 4/5

Raiders of the Lost Ark 3/5 

Close Encounters of the Third Kind 3/5