POA Listening party Now Online!!

Bart

HPANA posted that AOL is hosting a listening party that you can enjoy via dial-up or broadband. First, you must install an AOL music player and have cookies enabled. I'm off to listen to the Frog Chorus now!

dial up: http://mp.aol.com/dalaillama/audio.index.a...p7.R37&speed=nb

broad band: http://mp.aol.com/dalaillama/audio.index.a...p7.R37&speed=bb

• Replies 118
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

1. Lumos! (Hedwig's Theme)

2. Aunt Marge's Waltz

3. The Knight Bus

4. Apparition on the Train

5. Double Trouble

6. Buckbeak's Flight

7. A Window to the Past

8. The Whomping Willow and The Snowball Fight

9. Secrets of the Castle

10. The Portrait Gallery

11. Hagrid the Professor

12. Monster Books and Boggarts!

13. Quidditch, Third Year

14. Lupin's Transformation and Chasing Scabbers

15. The Patronus Light

16. The Werewolf Scene

17. Saving Buckbeak

18. Forward to Time Past

19. The Dementors Converge

20. Finale

21. Mischief Managed!

This makes it a little easier!!

I'm now listening to Aunt Marge Waltz!! It's absolutely beautifull!!

And now the Knight Bus starts! :-)

The Knight Bus is very experimental!! It want's to imitate the traffic... I don't know if it's succeeds. I like the Waltz better :mrgreen: Very 'swingy'

I'm now listening to Buckbeak's Flight. Can't say it's very memorable. But it is very moving and emotional. :-)

I'm still waiting for a classic JW theme.

1:45am here in Korea i was just about to go to sleep and decided to check this board, 5 minutes later I'm listening to the new Harry Potter score.....unless I'm dreaming???

Woowww... I'm very silent now. A Window to the Past is even more moving..

Very touching. This must be a very emotional part in the movie. And hedwig's theme integrated into it...

A Window to the Past has a very tragic theme. Very appropiate for the tragic side of Harry.

The Whomping Willow and The Snowball Fight reminds me very much at an Indiana Jones score. Not in a plagiarisme style, but in the same genre. Very good and enjoyble.

Secrets of the Castle is very dark. Something Wicked this way this comes is played on a celesta here, integrated to Hedwig's theme. Like the title suggest, very secretiviness here.

Hagrid the Professor is very lovely. It starts with oboes, I guess (I'm not good in the English names of instruments) and then SWTWC is played slowly with even more wood.

Most numbers have a very Middle-age feeling about them.

Was that piece that started with the pounding percussion, Buckbeak's Flight??

The next piece is a concert version and its gorgeous!!

The classic moment has arrived. Quidditch, thirth year.

Even a full choir. :-)

I'm a few tracks behind you, I'm up listening to the Secrets Of The Castle... Bart I love you for finding this!!

How is this done? Why does it not work on a Mac? I mean come on AOL... How hard is it to use some cross-platform solution? Is someone going to help us?

-Snowster

The Whomping Willow and The Snowball Fight reminds me very much at an Indiana Jones score.

I had my hopes up, but alas. I don't think it's like Indiana Jones. It's more the typical Williams uplifting action style (like in Hook, TPM, etc.). I'm waiting for the darker parts, which I like better. So far, very entertaining listen, tracks 1, 3, 5 are great!

How does a listening party work? Can you select wich track you wish to listen? Is it possible to capture the audio to a file? Would someone do that for Mac users? And finally how long will it be available??

-Snowster

Someone at scorereviews.com just posted that it isn't available for mac users...sorry i have no idea how to help you out, oh now I feel guilty cause I can hear it!!

Its certainly a lot diff from the first 2 scores,

When you log on I think the Cd starts and plays through each track in order, the whole CD is 68 minutes in length, a lot of the cues have seemed kind of short, maybe the last few tracks are longish??

I don't know which track I'm now... One of the last... But when that panflute starts (same from A Window to the Past) it's so... aaargh...

Hmmm tears and stuff.

Horns... Woow. The last tracks are one of the best.

King Mark has arrived

Mmmm,I was aout to go see Troy,i guess I'll go later.

The sound is really crappy on dial up,but I can't wait.

1-Lumos(1,29)

Hedwig's Theme played out straight on celesta,horn and strings like in the previous concert versions.At least it's not the full version and only wastes 1 1/2 minute of the c.d.

2-Aunt Marges Waltz(2.12)

A mock classical sounding waltz.Starts off quietly on the oboe,then joined by other woodwinds,and as usual for Williams progresses to full orchestra as the action gets more elaborate on screen.It has a lofty quality to it and is reminescent of The Weightless Waltz from his Lost in Space pilot score.This is new thematic material,but I guess it will serve the purpose of this one scene only.On the album it may qualify as a `concert version`,maybe it will be edited differently on screen.

3-The Knight Bus(2.50)

Again this is new thematic material and one of the more unusual Williams cues in a while.This is a frantic jazzy piece that was surely inspired from the saxophone passages in Catch Me if you Can.In terms of pace it is more similar to the unused Arrival in New York from Home Alone 2 and also mixed in are unusual orchestrations(bells,a whistle) that are similar to The Cantina Band in Star Wars.These fast passages without doubt underscoring the Knight Bus racing throught the streets of London are mixed with slower athmospheric scary passages through out the cue.Overall enjoyable and should work great in the film.

4-Apparition on the Train(1.50)

Ominous chords mixed with shreiking woodwinds and creepy violins opens this cue.It it very slow and deliberate and gets louder and louder as the cue progresses,scoring the sequence when a Dementor is slowly approaching Harry in the train and he remains frozen in his seat.

5-Double Trouble(1.32)

Song version of the song Something Wicked this Ways Comes in medieval instruments,as heard on the Teaser Trailer,with a few extra sections

6-Buckbeaks Flight (2.05)

Starts off with loud percussions,then into a soaring new uplifting theme for full orchestra.The sound quality of this broadcast does not permit full appreciation of the orchertrations.So,cues like this is the main drawback of listening to scores in advance previews in streaming audio.This for me would be The Theme on the soundtrack,it's beautiful,but less immediately hummable than lets say Fawke's theme.

7-A Window to the Past(3.45)

The second lovliest theme of this score,this cue starts out on a solo flute with another new thematic idea and is very medieval sounding,then more period instruments come in like a harpsichord I think.Overall the feeling is sadness.Along the way the cue soars to full strings,sounding like the theme Jane Eyre,in the middle of the cue Hedwig`s Theme is quoted,then all ends quietly with more sad woodwinds

8-The Whomping Willow and The Snowball Fight(2.20)

Frantic brass and woodwind action cue (of ...Hedwigs Theme),followed by a typical Williams jaunty scherzo,which is always very enjoyable.

9-Secrets of the Castle(2.30)

Starts off with a slow variation of SWTWC played on the celesta,followed my a middle age sounding oboe quote and then womens chorus.Then the cue veers in another direction,with another odd quirky and fast woodwind theme(maybe for Trelawney)

10-The Portrait Gallery(2.01)

Bouncy rendition SWTWC mixed with dark underscore similar to Indiana Jones.

11-Hagrid the Professor

Middle age sounding cue with period instruments(Dufay Collective maybe?).Starts off with a new theme then into a variation of SWTWC.

12-Monster Books and Boggarts

Begins fast,then some dark music,scary shreiking woodwinds,then a sort of violin fiddle and clarinet theme.

13-Quidditch Third Year(3.34).

All out Williams brass and woodwind action cue with wordless choir mixed in.Again this is new thematic material through out,but has a similar feel to The Quiddish Match from the first album

14-Lupin s Transformation and Chasing Scabbers(2.58)

Starts off slowly with a delicate melody,then loud ominus chords and brass punctuations underscoring what seems Lupin turning into a werewolf.This leads into a fast pace chase music similar to Flight from Peru in Raiders of the Lost Ark.

15-The Patronus Light 1:30)

Other wordly choirs in a new thematic idea again.There is a wondrous and magical feel to it.

16-The Werewolf Scene(4.00).

Dark and loud action underscore(brass and lots of tympani hits).No theme really.The only cue I find overbearing.

17-Saving Buckbeak(6.30)

Some sneaking around music.Ominous chords leading to *gasp*...Buckbeak's execution (?)....music stops...then a pulsing rythmic motif sounding like the Dr.Know game music in A.I.The cue ends with woodwind flourishes.

18-Forward to Time Past(2.30)

A clock motif(with instruments that sound like clocks).

19-The Dementors Converge(3.10)

Return of the Ominous Music with wordless choirs.Reminescent of passages in CE3K.

20-Finale(3.25)

Starts off fast and scary with womens chorus again...silence... the Patronus theme choir music returns mixed with a horn motif,and its extremely beautiful.A Window to the Past flute theme is then heard and that theme swells for full orchestra swells for full orchestra..The End.

21-Mischief Managed(11.45)

This is a Suite of all the Themes,probably the End Credits.I guess this explains why there are no other Concert Vesions on the album as they are all included here.

Breakdown:Nimbus 2000--Hedwig's Theme Fanfare-SWTWC orchestral version followed by period instruments--A Window to the Past--Buckbeaks Flight--The Snowball Fight--SWTWC Song Version-The Knight Bus-Marges Waltz.-Hedwigs Theme.

Note1:There' s a short passage that I loved on the ABC preview that seem to be missing(when Buckbeak is Flying)...This would be Wanted Unreleased Cue#1

Note 2:None of new music from the trailers is on the soundtrack,including the so called heroic theme.

K.M.

if anyone can record the stream and convert it for us, we would be eternally grateful.

But your the TimeLord,I mean can't you do anything

K.M.

Overjoyed! And I've only listened to Aunt Marge's waltz, and that's all I'm going to listen to (the rest can't be spoiled).

But oh man, track 2 just had me jumping up and down. Pure, unadulterated JW delight! And the Rossini like spoof stuff at the end! Oh man, I can't wait to hear this score in it's entirety!

-Giddy Frank

You've said that before.

I'd just like some help to listen to this listening party.

I'm going to do my absolute best to get this out to my fellow Mac users. I'm just going to need a little time.

Neil - not at home

The end Credits have just started....maybe...

Nimbus theme referenced, a few seconds of Hedgwigs theme and then an orchestral Double Trouble! Its great...slowing down a little, more double trouble played by a period ensamble....and then the Window To The Past theme, its very moving and beautiful, reminds me of Jane Eyre a little, (better if thats possible) Pounding percussion, then....Buckbeaks music....some new mischevious fun music next and then double Trouble with chorus...and then the crazy Knight Bus Music...Think its the same version as the earlier track???

So.. I'm done listening.

It's a completely different Harry Potter soundtrack than the previous, which is a good thing I think. With a whole different movie, I think everyting (including the soundtrack) can't be a slightly different version from the last movie.

I don't think this soundtrack has an instant rememorable theme, like Fawkes on the second OST. But this soundtrack has a more emotional, tragical range.

Specially A Window to the Past is touching and moving. Aunt Marge reminds me at those great Viennese Walses.

And Misschief Managed is a nice summary of what to find on the album.

In my view the soundtrack certainly doesn't dissapoint, but it isn't what I suspected. But that doesn't make it less great.

Ah, man! Why do I have to install that stupid player? I don't want to. I can't, even. Why don't they just have this thing in the Real format?

- Marc, :music:

I just finished listening. Wow.

The real gem here is the incredible concert arrangement that is the last track. It's over ten minutes long at least. This arrangement presents the themes in (nearly) reverse order in which they were just heard on the album.

Aunt Marge's Waltz - really nice

Buckbeak's Theme - wow. can be compared to Fawkes.

Harry's new theme - this theme is linked to Harry's past, and is incredibly sad; heard in A Window to the Past and I think Finale (i lost track of where 19 ended and 20 began)

Double Trouble - shows up a LOT on this album, in at least 4 tracks

Hagrid's theme - two wind instruments have a little duet to start this theme off, i didn't like it that much

Patronus theme - more of a motif than a theme, really, but its choir is wonderfully holy and brilliant... amazing

Dementors theme - again I got the sense this was more of a motif since there is no real melodic substance as far as i could tell; aptly piercing and chaotic

Knight Bus theme - yet again i hesitate to call this a theme; it is jazzy and very active, appropriately

I don't believe Patronus or Dementors appear in the last track; however, it went something like this: Harry, Buckbeak, Hagrid, Knight Bus, Marge, Hedwig

For CoS listening party, did we figure out how to rip the streaming audio? I know streamripper can be used, but there was another program needed to determine the url of the audio itself.

- Diskobolus is going to pass out, then listen again, and hopes Frank Lehman will have a better thematic analysis when he returns

i know this is my first post ever and its kinda short and to the point... but uhmm, where is the listening party for mac users?!

You've said that before.

I'm going to do my absolute best to get this out to my fellow Mac users. I'm just going to need a little time.

Neil - not at home

I'm on it. If I succeed, it will be up in 90 minutes.

You've said that before.

Neil - not at home

I'm on it. If I succeed, it will be up in 90 minutes.

Thank you! You're really kind! :sigh: I'm a MacUser too... Blame Windows! :music:

NP - Yared's TROY (a GREAT score!)

It is nice :music: I really enjoyed many parts of it.

A bit short though :sigh: only 68 minutes.... and where is harrys wondrous world (end credits) or it is the medley of the new themes in the end?

Luke, who does not think if he wants new credits or stick with the old way...

i'm reaaalllyy super duper excited ... THANKU sooo much Diskobolus for, if anything, making the effort... i wanna listen to this music... i had better be careful... wetting my pants is a side-effect of the incurrable disease of waiting for the Mac listening party to show up... so i'll just wait patiently and twiddle my thumbs.