Hook CD Releases

hoby12

So what about Hook then, is there a really good sounding boot out there?  

?

I find the Concorde pressed boot acceptable,meaning the music is clear but suffers some minor high end distortion due to software noise reducing,but nowhere near as bad as Last Crusade or the Williams conducted Amazing Stories boot.

K.M.

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'd be very happy to have a complete Temple of Doom in that sound quality while we await forever an official release.

K.M.Noticing there have been no posts since this afternoon

I'd be very happy to have a complete Temple of Doom in that sound quality while we await forever an official release.

I'd take a complete Harry Potter, AOTC, etc. with that sound quality in lieu of an official release.

John- generally happy with the sound quality of his Hook boot, although unsure of which one it is.

John 2- also noticing the lack of posts.

I found and have a boot of TOD. It's mixed quality; some sound very good while others are obvious DVD rips, however there are little sound effects save for one which has the "buzz" of a hot, dry place going in the background... You know the one... Well, I don't think it's complete, but it's 2 CDs. It has an instrumental version of Anything Goes too.

Oh, I have the CD, but from what I heard it's so inadequate that it's not even representative of the full score, hence the "just getting into Hook" comment.

Anyway, best bootleg?

So hmm in the end... "after" buying the real CD soundtrack, is the "Hook Ultimate Edition" 3CD release the best bang for the buck, both in quality and quantity? This whole thing is confusing...

I have the original CD and this 3 CD set...

Disc1 : 23 tracks (55minutes)

Disc2 : 13 tracks (1h11minutes) The Ultimate War is divided in 3 parts 9:58/4:18/5:38

Disc3 : 16 tracks (1h09minutes) Mostly alternated versions and concert suites...

So when do we find out if the 2CD set that Hoby has contains better sound quality than the Concorde boot or not?

Personally, I think that there is *no way* that what Hoby has is an actual Oscar Promo. Why would it have silly titles like "Tinkerbell Big!"? Why would it specify what was used and not used in the movie, why would it have all those alternates? Why wouldn't it contain the last 8 minutes of the Ultimate War? Or the "Hook is dead" music?

Also the Concorde release incorrectly merges the end titles too soon into the end of "Farewell Neverland" ("Return Home and Finale")... and I highly doubt an Oscar promo would do that.

So when do we find out if the 2CD set that Hoby has contains better sound quality than the Concorde boot or not?

Personally, I think that there is *no way* that what Hoby has is an actual Oscar Promo.  Why would it have silly titles like "Tinkerbell Big!"?  Why would it specify what was used and not used in the movie, why would it have all those alternates?  Why wouldn't it contain the last 8 minutes of the Ultimate War?  Or the "Hook is dead" music?

Also the Concorde release incorrectly merges the end titles too soon into the end of "Farewell Neverland" ("Return Home and Finale")... and I highly doubt an Oscar promo would do that.

As I think i've said before, I do belive that this is in fact an Oscar promo -- still even with poor sound quality.

You mention the alternates and diferent edits, but the AI 2-disc promo also contains laternates, if my memory serves me right.

As for the edits, you surelly know that music is edited for teh albuns in a diferent way from the film, and you may even consider that this were edit for a diferent film edit. So I really don't think that that's an issue.

And for waht it may be worth, I've done some research, including some conversations with hobby12 and other people who "know people", and I do find to be acceptable that this was in fact an Oscar promo.

As for the sound quality, as mentioned above, is identical to the one on the boot, but is may belief that this very poor handled affair by the part of Williams representatives.

Finally, everyone should remember that there are surelly many promos out there we don't even know about.

I have some by Laurence Rosenthal, that also have not the top sound quality, and I never really questioned is they were prepared by the composer and their assistants. And everyone also should remember the ocasional thread "I hate Shawn Murphy recordings" tha pops out now and then... So while there is in fant a sound quality issue, for most people that won't really be that important -- I wonder how many Academy members spent too much time to decide which score deserves their vote...

Here are three images from the Concorde boot.... which I think will be the same images from hoby12's "Academy Promo."

http://filmmuziek.xs4all.nl/composer/jw/Ho...ook2CD_voot.jpg

http://filmmuziek.xs4all.nl/composer/jw/Ho...k2CD_achter.jpg

http://filmmuziek.xs4all.nl/composer/jw/Ho...k2CD_midden.jpg

You can find more cover art by going HERE

-Erik-

An oscar promo album must be mentioned "For Your Consideration" and "Best Original Score" on the cover.

This album seems to be the Concorde 2CD bootleg. It is called like that because its reference is Concorde 9921. There are other Concorde bootlegs like Concorde 9920 for Far and Away vol.2 and also for other composers.

This is the only Hook bootleg to have pressed CDs.

http://musicby.jw-music.net/pistes.php?lan...album=hookboot2

The 3CD set called the Ultimate Edition is a bootleg made by a german fan 3 years ago. It also exists other homemade bootlegs in 2CD, 3CD and even 4CD sets, but they all are CD-Rs. So, be aware when you see at eBays Hook CD sets like these :

- http://cgi.ebay.fr/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewIt...4050976643&rd=1

- http://cgi.ebay.fr/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewIt...4050138656&rd=1

An oscar promo album must be mentioned "For Your Consideration" and "Best Original Score" on the cover.

David, hope you don't mind me correcting you, but not all promotional releases have the "For your Consideration" and/or "Best Original Score" quote. Some early promotional LPs I've known about had nothing but some poor cover art. I think that this kind of quote, as apears on the famous AI promo and others, is kind of a recent thing they do.