This Might Be Interesting and Might Not

hoby12

Ever listen to headphones and it sounds like all the stuff panned around 12 o'clock is sounding like it is coming from your nose or fore head? That is so wierd because your body of course doesn't have a hearing device down the middle of the body so everything we are hearing is being panned from our brain there. I find this also when listening at my computer, with my speakers set up correctly it sounds as if the music is coming right from the monitor. So basically anything we hear in the center is an illusion; and is really L or R and our brain compensates it. Which is amazing that our brain can instantly take that information and do all that without us being aware, primarily taking 2 mono signals (left and right ear) and creating a stereo image with depth out of them. I suggest we call this the Hoby12 Phenomenom.

EDIT: 1 bad spelling mistake, I will leave the others.

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I listen on headphones all the time. The stuff in the middle doesn't seem to be coming from my nose, it feels like it's right in the middle of my brain. It is cool when you think about it.

Downside is that headphones sounds small and it's an unnatural listening position. Another downside is that you're so quiet that your neighbour will think his house is soundproof. Nothing seems to gets in or ... out! Which means he will feel absolutely comfortable to pump up the volume on his system.

----------------

Alex Cremers

Sounds small? Unnatural listening position?

The real problem with headphones is that it's not good for your ears to turn them up really loudly.

Marian - who also thinks his weird-looking hair in the morning is a result of his having headphones on before going to bed.

Music hardly sounds small on good headphones.

The real problem with headphones is that it's not good for your ears to turn them up really loudly.

A mythn, like the one were they claim smoking causes cancer.

Marian - who also thinks his weird-looking hair in the morning is a result of his having headphones on before going to bed.

Get Sony Fontopia earplugs, your hair will be fine.

Or alternatively, just buy a comb.

For that kind of bass though, you need the right room...and no neighbours.

Get Sony Fontopia earplugs, your hair will be fine.

My "normal" Sonys were expensive enough, I intend to keep using them.

Or alternatively, just buy a comb.

I have one. The headphones win.

Marian - :?

I need to get a good par of headphones. What are the best? In the ear types or the big huge ones? I got a sony pair that had great base they were awesome. Until they got broke by an unamed party.

Justin - ROTFLMAO

Headphones can't reproduce depth in a soundstage the way speakers can.

----------------

Alex Cremers

Headphones cannot provide the deep bass that music can provide.  The kind of bass you feel.  The drivers just cannot physically move the air.

Neil

However most headphones have a natural EQ built in to compensate for this.

If a sound is panned fully left, the right ear can't pick it up. That's very unnatural, Marian.

If a sound comes ONLY from the left channel, it's either a weird mix (a few 60s/70s Sony recordings have this extreme stereo separation) or an intentional effect. I give you the depth of the soundstage (which still requires you to turn up good speakers loud enough though, so when you've got neighbours, headphones are preferrable at night), but headphones are very good at reproducing stereo panoramas, I'd say.

Marian - going to plug in his Sonys now.

95% of my music listening is with earphones.

And yes it is amazing, the music seem to be "living" in your brain, so you don't have to think about stuff....

It'd be amazing to have your own private symphony in your head that played all your favorites

Yeah, kinda Matrixy.

I still prefer speakers, though. Like Neil said, the sound coming from actual speakers is sound you can feel. I find it gives more impact. After all, when you're listening to music being played live, you'll be able to feel it as well. It's just that little bit extra. :|

Like I've said,if your speaker are a few thousand bucks good,than of course I'm sure the experiance is better than headphones,otherwise...

To the one above who wants headphones...I have listened to many and I've narrowed it down to three relatively cheap ones that deliver good enough mid range and highs clarity for JW music:Seinheiser PX100,Koss Portapros and Grado SR60's. Check them out.All 3 are close to Audiophile Headphones costing hundreds of dollar. Lots of those big mid-priced headphones sold at places like Circuit City like Panasonic,Sony or cheap Seinheisers have lots of artificial booming bass,unnatural DSP added and lack detail in the mids and highs.Stay clear of the Bose Tri-Port,the overamplified bass doesn't make JW sound good from the test listen I've heard.

K.M.Who tries a lot of gear before buying something.

I think the sign of a great pair of headphones is having ultra clear mid range frequencies. High and Low are easy to fake, but mids takes gear.

This just reminds of me of that Bose stereo with the Herbie Hancock commercial. Can you hear how clear this stereo is??? I was like yeh definately - it sounds so clear coming through my shitty TV speakers.

The new Wave radio WITH NO BUTTONS or controls whatsoever on the unit itself so you can only control it from the credit card sised remote control?Genius design.

K.M.Who went out of his way to get a Zenith DVD player that has a thumbwheel thingy to access the menus and controls on the player,and glad he did since the remote is now broken

Because, alas, there are some unfortunate fools out there who listen without headphones (hard as that is to believe), and the poor mixers, well, they're looking out for even those poor unfortunate souls.

Because, alas, there are some unfortunate fools out there who listen without headphones (hard as that is to believe), and the poor mixers, well, they're looking out for even those poor unfortunate souls.

Well, believe it or not, in all its dumbness there is actually some truth in your words. Amazing, isn't it!

Yes the brain can determin the direction sound is coming from. There are 2 theories about this. The brain measures the length of time between when sound hits each ear and works out where the sound is coming from and the other theory, the shape of the ear affects how sound hits and is picked up by the ear.

I'm convinced that future technology will one day allow you to feed music directly into your mind, bypassing the ears.

Here is a picture of the prototype.

capt.sge.hnk40.191104175543.photo00.photo.default-285x357.jpg

Neil

Headphones-wise, I bought the Sennheiser HD-570 two years ago; a bit pricey (about euro 100), but I'm very satisfied. Goldsmith, Williams et al-- and my ears-- deserve the best.

• 10 months later...
I'm convinced that future technology will one day allow you to feed music directly into your mind, bypassing the ears.

Here is a picture of the prototype.

capt.sge.hnk40.191104175543.photo00.photo.default-285x357.jpg

Neil

Have you read Alan Moore's The Complete Ballad of Halo Jones? It was re-released recently (I have the 2001 edition).

In this science fiction strip, back in '84, Moore imagined secondary characters named "Drummers":

"Bunch of lousy, mindless Glombies. Nod, nod, nod all the time."

"Yeah. and they all do it in unison... Brrr."

"You remember Squib? Her brother had an implant last week. Now he's a drummer, too."

[...]

"I don't wan't to listen to you anymore!"

[...]

"Rodice... She isn't listening to us. She's listening to the beat."

It case this wasn't clear: The Drummers have chips implanted in their heads that broadcasts at regular intervals a beat they listen to in a nodding trance.

Since getting this book, I can't help thinking of drummers when I see pictures of, or read about, raves, techno and such so-called music that consists in blasting at full power what is mainly a numbing beat with background accompaniment.

The awful trend of techno-fying songs and movie themes is further proof the only thing that counts is "the beat", indeed.

* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *

Back to what led me to this topic, through the search engine.

I need to replace my Sennheiser headphones-- HD 570 (which are extremely comfortable), as the cable got caught one time to many in a wheel of my swivel chair. :|

I am tempted by

the HD 555 (http://www.sennheiser.com/sennheiser/icm_eng.nsf/root/products_headphones_high-end_05342)

and

the HD 515 (http://www.sennheiser.com/sennheiser/icm_eng.nsf/root/05341),

or mabye

the RS 130 (cordless) (http://www.sennheiser.com/sennheiser/icm_eng.nsf/root/products_headphones_hi-fi-wireless_09923).

The HD 555 is supposed to be "5.1/SACD-compatible" (my phrasing-).

I have read lots of good things on the HD 600, but it's twice as expensive.

And yes, I'd rather stick to Sennheiser.

Any advice/opinion, please?

I've got the $20.00 pair of Sony head phones that wrap around the back of your head. I removed those annoying ass ear pieces that stick out though. However they're the best head phones I've ever had. The sound is crystal clear on them and the bass is pretty damn good too.

By the way it's been proven that if you listen to your head phones with the volume up kinda loud (like I do lol) for hours on end per day, your ears can build up a lot more wax in them. Oh well I want to listen to my music at a good volume, not a low volume to where I can't hear it. :| lol

For a second I tought John Crichton had returned from the asylum.

K.M.Who'd like to get Etymotic ER4i or Shure EC4's earphones for his ipod.

Sennheiser PX100/PX200.....

....I have'nt come across any better.....despite the many highr price tags......

Greg - celebrating his 1000th..... beerchug