Only 23% for new server!!!

Nemesis

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I received this e-mail from a visitor to this site.  It asks some pretty good questions.
With due respect and gratitude to Andreas for his long tenure of service, I think we need to ask ourselves some tough questions about this fund-raising effort. Whenever you're soliciting money, there needs to be as much information as possible on the table. Here are some of my concerns. Number one, that 3,500 euros (that's 4,562 dollars, people) is a lot of money, especially when you have a small pool of people (around 50) who are actively involved ... many of whom are either not motivated, too financially strapped to contribute much, or who have already given as much as they can. In one month, we've raised only 17% (~ 595e / $776) and the rate of intake is only likely to decline and drop off. Even in the very unlikely event that this rate continues without slowing down, it would take six straight months of it to raise the necessary funds. Even the 2,500 euro server, which Andreas says would be sufficient, but not ideal, would require another 4-5 months of constant influx equal to what we've had so far. Do we have that much time before the website shuts down? For that matter, there are unanswered questions about the servers. I do not necessarily doubt Andreas's claims that the 3,500 will allow the website to remain actives for "years to come", but I would like to hear more specific details and hard data. He also writes that 3,500 is "better for the future" than 2,500, but how and why? Stability? Amount of data on the website? Length of operation? Even if all these issues are addressed, the sad probability remains that anyone who is going to make a significant contribution has done so already. At least, that is my gut feeling based on what I've seen and read. But even if I'm wrong, and the remaining two-thirds of our active members become suddenly zealous in equal measure and donate in equal proportion to the current 17, we're still left with only 1,800 euros. Those of you who have already made donations need to ask yourself if you are prepared to contribute several times over -- as much as five or six times -- what you have already given, because that's what it would take.  Finally, if (as seems likely) we are unable to meet the goal, we are told that the money will be used to keep the site up for "as long as possible". This is rather vague. Precisely how much time can we reasonably expect? Months? Weeks? What is the current average daily expense of keeping this website functional? If the donations dried up right now, and Andreas was left with only the 600 euros collected so far, how many days exactly could he keep the website operational? I think it is only responsible to have detailed answers to these questions before significant monies are expended, especially in light of the fact that many active members have other financial and/or charitable priorities that make contributing difficult or impossible; and that while JWFan's loss would be a grievous blow to this community (and I don't wish to diminish the significance of the community or the unique content JWFan provides) there ARE many other forums to discuss Williams and his work and be updated on news. There is a wonderfully optimistic and idealistic spirit on this forum, and I don't wish to quash it, but when we are talking about such large quantities of money, we must be sober and realistic. Healthy debate (free of vindictiveness or petty bickering) and lots of solid information, even when depressing or unpleasant, is the mature and responsible response to this situation. Naturally, I hope for the best *possible* outcome, as this is a corner of the web I would miss terribly ... whatever comes, my hat goes off to this community of remarkable individuals.

Neil

Hello,

yes a very good mail.

And now my answer (With my good english :roll: Sorry bad auto. translation):

First of all, JWFAN.NET is not the complete network!!!!

You must see all other websites on jw-music.net and some other smaller websites (like filmmusikwelt.de (german))

I send a mail over my problems to all webmasters on my server and some of it post a news on there websites.

I recieve more then 200 (from 600) euro donates from non-JWFAN.NET members!!!

Please don't see JWFAN.NET alone.

To the server:

If we can buy the server ( for 2500 or 3500 euro) I will continue my work for more then 5 years.

Also I (even if there are no more donations) become at least up to the end this yearly the server further to operate.

Like everything I develop to be forced probably even for that

new system to arise (and if over a credit).

Therefore nevertheless also my call after assistance.

I hope for further donations for the network.

Thanks.

Andreas

Ok, so our community consists mainly of 50 regular posters, more or less. Couldn't we have a monthly fee, like 1 or 2 euros? That could generate 100 euros per month, that perhaps would be suficiet to keep the site running. I supose those 50 regular posters could be avaliable for that kind of almost symbolic monthly fee.

You know how hard it is to get people to pay for ANYTHING on the Internet.

Also, we are in a lot of different countries so setting up a regular payment system for everyone might prove dufficult (not everyone has a Credit Card)

I don't like the idea of a pay site, even if it's only ?2,-- a month. And are you saying only the regulars should pay? That doesn't seem to make any sense. :remybussi: JWFan.net should remain open to anyone for free.

- Marc

No, I really like Merkel's idea.

Well,it would also a King Mark free website too.If it ever came to that this MB would end up like a small chatroom of 15-20 people,and lose most of the regular posters.

K.M.

I personally have no need for any of other websites hosted on the JWfan network besides the main JWfan.I figure the satellite websites take the bulk of space on the server Andreas is asking money for.I say concentrate all resourses on the main JWfan which is the principal and if that's not enough,revert to a simple text based interface

(or whatever saves space)and cheaper form of MB. Perhaps it doesn't have to be integrated into the main site like it is now.

Then again I don't know much how the Internet works in that matter,but I don't see how this is a all or nothing proposition,and I haven't encountered a paying MB elsewhere on the net yet,so why is this place more in the hole financially than all the other places out there?

If it comes down to wether I get a blank page if I want to access the MB then we'll see.

K.M.

No, I really like Merkel's idea.

Well,it would also a King Mark free website too.If it ever came to that this MB would end up like a small chatroom of 15-20 people,and lose most of the regular posters.

K.M.

But it is a voluntary payment. Instead of donating all of a sudden, we donate small ammounts monthly -- it's the same. Posters who don't want to or can't donate are free to use the board as they are now. And you haven't left the board because donations were being asked.

We are not start a pay service on this website!!!!!!!!

And I don't remove the other websites from the server.

When I can buy a server for the network I will host many many more movie-music websites

for free!

For me jw-music.net is only the begining.

Andreas

When I can buy a server for the network I will host many many more movie-music websites

for free!

For me jw-music.net is only the begining.  

Andreas

I think I understand what your saying about expanding to include many film music sites.But your wording has been confusing.Maybe some people think(or are unsure) that by not contributing,this message board and the main page news Ricard writes will suddenly vanish.

K.M.

I feel your pain, Steef. I've been with JWFAN.NET since ... gosh, since pretty much the beginning, back when it was John Williams Central and all that! Remember cjb.net? This really sucks. Is there a way to scale back the site to make its continued existence more feasible? Less graphics-intensive, or even no graphics, with less complicated HTML? Perhaps something more text-based -- a simple archive for information and page for news? I mean, I love that the site is so slick and professional-looking -- it's awesome -- but if reducing it to bare content would be the only way to save it...

I think you're on the right track, John. Another thing we could is block linking to JWFan images, that's what Tripod does, I think. Er...I once linked to the laughing smilie on another forum. I ought to delete that post. :? External linking stresses the server. Although I seem to be the only one who's done this, pretty much, I guess it wouldn't make a difference.

Maybe a corporate sponsor is the only way. Come on, we wouldn't mind the occasional pop-up or banner ad.

I truly wish I could help out... but I have absolutely no money at this time... and frankly... when I get some fresh ones in a few days, they'll be spent on university books and other necessities I have to prioritate :-/ so.... sorry guys....

3,500 Euro seem a bit expensive for a server though... I'm quite sure you could get a better price for it in Sweden, though I'm not 100% sure what you want with the server... point remains though, it sounds like you could get it cheaper with same quality.

Going on Cerrabore's banner ad idea, I wouldn't mind at all if there was something like that for Amazon (or a similar site) regarding JW CDs. It could be just as much a convenience for JWFan visitors as it would be an ad, especially since the album images already link to Amazon.

Ray Barnsbury

Going on Cerrabore's banner ad idea, I wouldn't mind at all if there was something like that for Amazon (or a similar site) regarding JW CDs.  It could be just as much a convenience for JWFan visitors as it would be an ad, especially since the album images already link to Amazon.

Ray Barnsbury

Yes. I have never understood Andreas' position on this issue - there are a number of websites that would love to sponsor this site, such as Amazon. I don't see why we would let the site die if we could simply add some banners to the page, which I don't mind seeing at all.

Going on Cerrabore's banner ad idea, I wouldn't mind at all if there was something like that for Amazon (or a similar site) regarding JW CDs.  It could be just as much a convenience for JWFan visitors as it would be an ad, especially since the album images already link to Amazon.

Ray Barnsbury

Yes. I have never understood Andreas' position on this issue - there are a number of websites that would love to sponsor this site, such as Amazon. I don't see why we would let the site die if we could simply add some banners to the page, which I don't mind seeing at all.

Banners are not the solution.

The most visitiors of this websites are the same people and only click on a banner one time!

I think we can only recieve some money ( up to 5 euros/month) when we display banners on this or the other website.

Andreas

The most visitiors of this websites are the same people and only click on a banner one time!

If clicking on banners means help the site, I would click on them a lot more than one time!

At least you could try...it's better than nothing!

Ray Barnsbury

Banners are not the solution.

I think we can only recieve some money ( up to 5 euros/month) when we display banners on this or the other website.

Andreas

I wouldn't mind clicking once a day. Plus don't shopping sites have dynamic banners that display products? It doesn't seem like you need to click, it's advertising on a site.

Hi Gang.

Sorry that I haven't been here much. I've been busy setting up my own forum for James Bond lovers.

I'm not sure if this would help, and maybe I'll not helping much here. But, I've got 1Gb's of free space on my host that I would be willing to donate to help things carry-on. OK, the domain name would be difficult to work around, but would there be a way to make this work?.

If I can be of any use, please send me a PM, or email me at Bondian@jamesbondandbeyond.com.

Cheers,

Ian

Hi Gang.

Sorry that I haven't been here much. I've been busy setting up my own forum for James Bond lovers.

I'm not sure if this would help, and maybe I'll not helping much here. But, I've got 1Gb's of free space on my host that I would be willing to donate to help things carry-on. OK, the domain name would be difficult to work around, but would there be a way to make this work?.

If I can be of any use, please send me a PM, or email me at Bondian@jamesbondandbeyond.com.

Cheers,

Ian

Sorry late answer.

No thanks. JWFAN.NET and/or JW-Music.net is really bigger then 1GB.

But a big thank you for your offer.

-----------------------

Small update over the server donates:

22% complete!

Thank you very much!

Andreas

Wow. 22%! Sounds like we've had a couple of nice big donations. Well done whoever you are. I'm actually a little excited that we may raise the funds now! Over a fifth of the way there!!!!!!!!!!!

Well, here we go then...

I am one of us (I hope there are many) who has been following this discussion about donating, but haven't participated in the donation myself. I think the time has come. I haven't yet decided on the amount, but it's gonna be xx euros and I will propably donate the same amount again in one month, and the next month after that if necessary.

I am a rather fresh JW fan, and have been following this site for maybe two years now, and I can't imagine living without it anymore - seriously. Hopefully this post will get some of you who haven't yet donated to make a contribution, so that we will have the site for the next 5+ years! Also maybe some of you who have donated xx euros/dollars already would also be ready to reply your donation in the next few months or so.

However I don't want to irritate anyone by urging them to donate the first, second or third time. I feel, that everyone has to make the decision by themselves, and I also understand that there are many JW fans that really, and I mean really, can't donate anything, and I think that is also acceptable. So please, let us who can afford donating xx euros maybe 1-3 times in a few months time do it, and save jwfan.net!

Thanks,

-Snowster