What movies have made you cry?

JoeinAR

I am talking about any movie that made you misty eyed to real tear shedding, to outright bawling.

And I mean any or all movies, not just JW movies, and there is a few of those that may be included too.

Be brave now, and reveal your soft side.

Joe, whose last cry was watching Terms of Endearment the other day.

• Replies 185
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Only one movie has made me really cry. Not Bambi, not Schindler's List. 'twas The Shawshank Redemption.

Yeah, that made some tears roll. Although I can get a pretty big lump in my throat as well with other films.

- Marc

The end of Return of the King when everyone bows to the Hobbits.

I'm sorry you're so easily pleased. :wave:

I thought RotK was a good movie, and it was a happy moment at the end, but it seemed like it was trying too hard to make you cry, and it could have ended like seven times before it realy did.

I got misty in the end of POA when Sirius is talking to Harry about James and Lily.

~Sturgis

Project X, I forgot about that one Neil, thats a bionic tearjerker.

Just some things I remember:

"That'll do Pig. That'll do." The final scene of Babe (1995). After Babe does "his thing" and the crowd cheers and that Saint-Seans music is played.... Ah man, that's one of the most beautiful moments in film history.

The Breaking Of The Fellowship. The final scenes of the first Lord Of The Rings film... I can not watch that without my eyes becoming at least moisty. The music really drives these moments home. Frodo on the side of the river, the ring in his hand, Sam almost drowning, Sam's heartwarming words, Aragorn, Legolas and Gimli going after the Uruk Hai to save the other hobbits... "Let's hunt some Orc!", "Yes!" I even get fragile when I type that! It's so good....

Braveheart - the final scene: the charging of the starving Scotsmen... THAT voiceover, some of the most simple, yet powerful lines ever, makes this scene so memorable. And the music by James Horner is excellent here. Superb!

Mask - The film is overly sentimental I know. It also changed the fact that Rocky Dennis was really just a normal teenager and not the superintelligent wizkid we see in the film. But the scene where Cher realises he died on just a day like any other is INCREDIBLE! I get tears in my eyes everytime I see Cher's performance. She plays this SO good and realistic. Powerful stuf.

Seabiscuit - again, the final scene. That's a wonderful piece of modern filmmaking. It's so simple yet so sincere and breathtaking. I never thought I would love this film as much as I do.

And scenes that deeply move me:

The Piano - Ada changes her mind....

The Hunchback Of Notre Dame (Disney) - final scene (Sappy? Yes, yes... so what! I'm a wuzz for this kind of material!)

Schindler's List - I could have done more

The Return Of The King - final 23 scenes (!)

Ah man, this goes on and on and on!

I'm sorry you're so easily pleased. Wink

I thought RotK was a good movie, and it was a happy moment at the end, but it seemed like it was trying too hard to make you cry, and it could have ended like seven times before it realy did.

Well, I just got a little teary, I wasn't bawling.

I got misty in the end of POA when Sirius is talking to Harry about James and Lily.

Yet, that had no effect on me. I'm not easily pleased, just affected differently by movies. As are we all. ;)

The Breaking Of The Fellowship. The final scenes of the first Lord Of The Rings film... I can not watch that without my eyes becoming at least moisty. The music really drives these moments home. Frodo on the side of the river, the ring in his hand, Sam almost drowning, Sam's heartwarming words, Aragorn, Legolas and Gimli going after the Uruk Hai to save the other hobbits... "Let's hunt some Orc!", "Yes!" I even get fragile when I type that! It's so good....

"Let's hunt some Orc!", "Yes!" was an inspiring moment, but not a tear-jerker for me. The music is really gorgeous, but it also seems to try to impose emotion on you. It always seems that when Sam does something silly, Frodo just smiles and says "Oh, Sam. I'm glad you're here." or "You never get your spirits down, do you?"

I'm certainly not questioning why it was emotional for anyone, just saying why it wasn't for me. ;)

~Sturgis

Stefancos- the only person in the world who thought ROTK only had one ending.

Me too actually. I consider The Lord Of The Rings films to be some of most amazing filmmaking ever. It's perfect to me in every regard,

There are more then 23 endings?

Far more. ;)

Yet, that had no effect on me. I'm not easily pleased, just affected differently by movies. As are we all.

Exactly. That's what I meant by saying, "I'm certainly not questioning why it was emotional for anyone, just saying why it wasn't for me."

And I was joking about you being easily pleased. I just thought that the end of RotK wasn't all that emotional, and a lot of people did. ;)

~Sturgis

Not movies, but:

The end of "The Gift", the Buffy Season 5 finale.

The final shot of "What You Leave Behind", the DS9 finale.

Several moments in the whole last half hour of Farscape: Peacekeeper Wars.

The Return of the King. First viewing when Sam caries Frodo. Second viewing when Frodo and Gollum fight over the ring and Shore's full chorus kicks in. Third viewing, the final shot of the ship going into the grey havens.

Justin - who has never cried for any other films.

Me too actually. I consider The Lord Of The Rings films to be some of most amazing filmmaking ever. It's perfect to me in every regard.

I think they are good movies and I can see why you like them a LOT, but they're just quite overrated IMHO.

~Sturgis

Me too actually. I consider The Lord Of The Rings films to be some of most amazing filmmaking ever. It's perfect to me in every regard,

I kinda agree, there are not really perfect adaptations of the book. (Frodo's to young and not fat enough, and Liv Tyler's role should be about 5 minutes long), but I have never been slightly bothered by PJ's often drastic departures from Tolkiens text.

As stand alone films they RULE!

Well I'm a book purist and have been bothered by some of the charater/plot changes made in the films. But I've also accepted that these are the best adaptation that we're going to get, and they are damn good movies. It's the scores that I consider good but highly overrated.

I enjoyed the Lord of the Rings movies, but I never cried while watching them.

E.T. always makes me get teary-eyed. The last (and second) time I saw Schindler's List (about a month and a half ago), the last scene made me completely bawl. The first time I saw it, I was really moved, but not to tears. Steel Magnolias is another one - the scene towards the end at Julia Roberts' character dies and Sally Field's character is all upset makes me bawl. It's just a nice funny/sad high-quality movie.

Bambi and the Lion King, just when their *SPOILER WARNING* respective parents die.

ET, Shindler's list and AI

And the Passion of the Christ.

Mysty eyes and lumpy throat, but i think the sentiment is inside, tears or no tears...

Joe, you just said your most recent, and project x

Come on though guy! ;)

Hmmm. I'll have to think. But here are some :

Empire of the Sun - When Jimmy is going beserk at the planes flying by and Nigel Havers (the doctor) grabs him, shakes him, shouting "Try not too think so much Jimmy...try not think SO MUCH" (or something like that) and suddenly Jimmy stops and says "I cant remember what my parents look like". Stunning, unexpected, and gets me. Out of the blue, that line comes and is very effective (imo)

Deer Hunter - When Mike (DeNiro) goes back to Vietnam later on to find Nick(Walken). During the Russian Roulette game, Nick shoots himself with a real bullet, just as DeNiro has managed to break through and get him to remember who he was. DeNiro's reaction is great acting. Falling to pieces, while holding onto Nicks wound in desperation. So heartbreaking and so unexpected.

Alexander - Recent . In the final battle,when his horse gets struck by the spears of the Indian troops. As Alexander is carried away wounded, you get this eye connection between the horse and Alexander, aswell as the eye closeup of the great Elephant as it's brought down. I was really struggling in the cinema not to bawl there LOL

E.T Dead or not? - "I'll remember you all my life" etc

E.T Goodbye - Naturally. No more needs to be said.

I'll come back to this post when i've remembered more.

ET - the 20-30 seconds before the Credits roll - always gets me...

Apollo 13 - yeah - I know - can't help it though.....

Star Trek VI - the Sign-Off - a great moment (though slightly Cheddar-ish) in the series....gets me every time.....

Loads of others.....will now have to sit through my entire DVD collection to list them......cool....!

Oh yeah - "Tomorrow is just another day".....<<<<gulp>>>>

Bambi and the Lion King, just when their *SPOILER WARNING* respective parents die.

ET, Shindler's list and AI

And the Passion of the Christ.

Mysty eyes and lumpy throat, but i think the sentiment is inside, tears or no tears...

Joe, you just said your most recent, and project x

Come on though guy! ;)

An Officer and a Gentleman, the ending is fantastic, and sentimental

Without a Trace, this movie I sobbed at, and I admit it. A real great tear jerker. Anyone who doesn't shed a tear at the end needs to be put down.

X-2, made me misty eyed at the end.

I'll post more later as I remember them.

Dunno why... but when I first saw the Penguin's death in Batman Returns I shed a few tears... it was such a sad funeral and all...

An Officer and a Gentleman, the ending is fantastic, and sentimental

I dont find it made me teary as such. It speaks of possibilitys. He returns as a new man. A respected and proud man, and sweeps her off her feet, away from the drudgery of her situation. I think the ending spoke of the possibilities we can reach In that way, it's sentimental i guess. But for me, not in a teary sense. An 'Encouraging' ending.

watershipdown1.jpg

Oh....Watership Down (1978). I challenge even Abu Al Zarqawi (well, that's being very optimistic) not to cry during this wonderful animated movie about the warren. Mind you, that was when i was a kid. But i reckon i'd still react the same now. Struck me even as a kid, about how cruel life can be. A truly great movie, and the song "Bright Eyes" by Simon and Garfunkel was the cherry on the top. Such a heartbreaking song that i find sooo :cry: beautiful :cry:

Adam - Now feels silly using Bunnys as an example (look on "member faces" threas)

Fellowship - Boromir's death

RotK - "You bow to no one", grey havens

Schindler's List - Many scenes

Trek 2 - Spock's death & funeral

watershipdown1.jpg

Oh....Watership Down (1978). I challenge even Abu Al Zarqawi (well, that's being very optimistic) not to cry during this wonderful animated movie about the warren. Mind you, that was when i was a kid. But i reckon i'd still react the same now. Struck me even as a kid, about how cruel life can be. A truly great movie, and the song "Bright Eyes" by Simon and Garfunkel was the cherry on the top. Such a heartbreaking song that i find sooo  :cry: beautiful  :cry:  

Adam - Now feels silly using Bunnys as an example (look on "member faces" threas)

"Bright Eyes" was performed by Garfunkel but written by Mike Batt. Beautiful, beautiful song in any case.

The Lord of the Rings: The Fellowship of the Ring: Every time Gandalf "dies" (okay, both times), Bormir's Death and the Breaking fo the Fellowship. I also get sad when I hear the cues on album.

The Passion of the Christ: I lost count.

The Lord of the Rings: The Return of the King: Arwen sees her son, Arwen and Aragorn re-unite (at the coronation).

Superman: When Lois is lost and Superman grieves.

The Lion King : The death of Mufasa.

Most of these were just the first time(s) I saw them, but they still count.

Schindler's List - multiple scenes, including the shot of the woman outside Schindler's first factory after he's moved her parents there; most of the last 15 minutes

Saving Private Ryan - Tom Hanks' death

A.I. - final 5 minutes

ROTK - Sam thinks Frodo is dead; first Ride of the Rohirrim

Steven Spielberg movies that made me cry

The Sugarland Express, terribly sad at the end

E.T. the Extraterrestrial, several scenes

Kick the Can, the scene when the old kids talk about their youth

The Mission, this one makes me practically blubber

Empire of the Sun,

Saving Private Ryan, when the mother finds out all her sons save one have died

I almost cried at the end of Titanic. It was the first time I ever hated a movie in my life.

I think it was a pretty good movie; the parts that got to me were when the mom was reading to her children and she knew they would all die, and after it's sunk and it shows the dead woman floating in the Main Hall.

But even if you didn't like the movie, you have to admit there were perks... :sleepy:

~Sturgis

Most recently "Finding Neverland" had me in floods right as the cinema lights went up. Most embarassing.

Others include:

Bambi ("Your mother cannot be with you anymore...my son" BLUB BLUB!)

The Kid (Charlie is invited to the kid's house at the end WAAAAAAA)

City Lights (The flower girl sees Charlie for the first time and realises he is a tramp SOB SOB SOB!!!)

Carry On Teacher ("See you all next term" BOOHOO!!)

The final episode of Blackadder Goes Forth (The poppys appear on the battleground. I'm tearing up just thinking about it.)

Me too actually. I consider The Lord Of The Rings films to be some of most amazing filmmaking ever. It's perfect to me in every regard.

I think they are good movies and I can see why you like them a LOT, but they're just quite overrated IMHO.

~Sturgis

:sleepy: I agree entirely. I enjoy these films a lot and have spent good money on the extended versions. But excellent films they are not. Sean Astin and Elijah Wood were poorly cast IMO and their performances tend to spoil the experience for me. Some of the directions Peter Jackson took (particularly regarding Sam and Frodo's characters) really annoy me. The black riders appear in force much too soon. The music sucks (sorry to say it again, but it really bothers me). Gimli is portrayed as a mindless fool, and the final shot of Bilbo getting on the boat in ROTK is so clearly not Ian Holm that I'm amazed it made it into the finished film. But then again there's the incredible locations and sets and cinematography. Ian McKellan is superb, as are Dominick Mohahan and Billy Boyd. In fact most of the cast shines, except the two principal hobbits. Shame as they are the heart of the whole story. But even with all these faults the films are extremely entertaining.