What movies have made you cry?

JoeinAR

Most recently "Finding Neverland" had me in floods right as the cinema lights went up. Most embarassing.  

That's the first thing that came to mind for me! Gosh, I was a mess when the lights came up. And I heard several people around me that were in the same condition.

Let's see....I cried at the end of My Dog Skip (you'll understand if you have a pet) and Stepmom (you'll understand if you have a mom).

And the line from E.T. that gets me:

ET: "Come"

Elliot: "Stay"

The words are said in hopelessness, knowing it will never be. So poignant!

Ray Barnsbury

• Replies 185
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Saving Private Ryan, when the mother finds out all her sons save one have died

Oh yeah that scene really got to me.

Brilliant, since we hardly even see the women at all.

But when the army officer and the priest get out of the car and she collapses on the porch, i go misty eyed.

A very strong and unusually unsentimental scene for Spielberg.

E.T. 2 key moments here,the scene when E.T. is dying and "seperates " from Elliot,than the Come.Stay part.

A.I Artificial Intelligence.Most of the 3rd act

Several places in The Patriot.

K.M.

Saving Private Ryan, when the mother finds out all her sons save one have died

But when the army officer and the priest get out of the car and she collapses on the porch, i go misty eyed.

A very strong and unusually unsentimental scene for Spielberg.

I agree with you guys 100%. Also, I think the music accompanying that scene, especially the little clarinet solo as we see the mother going toward the door to see who's paying her a visit, is one of the best-scored moments of the entire movie. That moment, which can be found on the 3rd track of the OS, gets to me every time, because it is so sad as well so skilfully scrored by JW.

Other than that, Over The Moon from E.T. makes me teary-eyed every time (I think that's because associated with the end of the movie). :sleepy:

I cry during a lot of films, but I found myself getting weepy at some tv shows as well. Firstly, I have to quote here:

Empire of the Sun - When Jimmy is going beserk at the planes flying by and Nigel Havers (the doctor) grabs him, shakes him, shouting "Try not too think so much Jimmy...try not think SO MUCH" (or something like that) and suddenly Jimmy stops and says "I cant remember what my parents look like". Stunning, unexpected, and gets me. Out of the blue, that line comes and is very effective (imo)

Yes, that line about his parents gets me every single time. Plus the ending of the film gets me to.

ET The finale.

Schindler's ListI'm, surprisingly, okay during the entire movie but at the end when the "Schindler Survivors" and their respective actors, put rocks on his grave. That final shot of the flower being put down and you see the shadow of "Schindler" (Ben Kingsley) right before the credits role. That gets me.

Everwood On TV. There have been a few episodes that got me weepy (Haven't seen any of the third season, or the end of the second yet) But the last few of the 1st season, and the first few of the second got to me.

Six Feet Under Primarily the first season when some of the show was sentimental. But mostly when they see their father, or talk to him.

Shawshank Redemption Non-stop once Freeman finds the note.

Moulin Rouge The end.

My Life Just about the entire movie.

Man Who Wasn't There No particular moment, but the music gets to me.

Gods and Monsters See above.

Batman The end of the movie, right when they flash and see the bat-symbol. The music is just so perfect at this moment, that it gets me!

I could go on and on and on.

Big Fish, Accidental Tourist, Sabrina, Titanic, Thelma and Louise, Terms of Endearment....

Sometimes it's how nicely a movie "wraps" up that will get me weepy sometimes. I can't explain it, but when everything is spot on perfect (writing, acting, and then the music swelling up) will get me.

The Kid (Charlie is invited to the kid's house at the end WAAAAAAA)

City Lights (The flower girl sees Charlie for the first time and realises he is a tramp SOB SOB SOB!!!)

City Lights does it for me every time, the last line of the movie is one of the best ever. As for The Kid, the ending doesn't get me as much as the scene where the authorities come and take the kid away and Charlie chases them down and rescues him. Seeing Jackie Coogan being hauled away in tears in the back of a truck never fails. The music (possibly Chaplins best-scored scene) is perfect, the look on Charlies face as he's being restrained is unforgettable. And when he breaks free, you really want to stand up and cheer. Such an emotional scene yet the slight dosage of humor is just right.

Also, for me, Forrest Gump when Forrest is talking to Jenny at her grave.

I never cry when watching the LOTR endings, those are more goosebump-inducing moments for me, particularly Sams speech at the end of TTT and the bowing to the hobbits in ROTK.

Jeff

Several places in The Patriot.

I wasn't going to be the first one to say it, but when his oldest son dies that always gets me. Gibson's performance is so great for the scene.

And as I think about it, the Voyager episode "Jetrel" acctually got me struggling to hold the tears back. The line "....and when I saw that blinding flash, brighter than a thousands suns, I knew exactly what I had become." This is probably one of the most emotional moments that I've seen in Star Trek.

Justin - Who is a sympathetic crier. Whenever anyone cries on screen in an effective way I always feel the need to join in. :cry: :cry:

Godfather- When Hagen tells The Godfather "They shot Sonny- he's dead".

Schindler's List- several points

Deer Hunter- 'God Bless America'

E.T.- When E.T. dies and the finale

House of Sand and Fog- Finale

Mystic River- Jimmy and Dave at the Mystic river

I cried or almost cried in these movies:

Forrest Gump: when Jenny dies. It's the way Tom Hanks says it. Very sad. :(

Cast Away: when Chuck lose Wilson.

And several parts from:

E.T.

Schindler's List

The Green Mile

Saving Private Ryan

Definitely I'm emotional for Tom Hanks' movies...he's in 4 out of 6 films I listed here...

:cry:

Lots of documentaries will tear me up. There's a scene in Hoop Dreams that did it where the mom learns her son is going to college (I think). The emotion isn't even sad in that scene but its enough that it reveals something true and pure in human emotion. That can elict tears of empathy, I guess, espcially since we know this is real life.

On the much more manipulative side of things, ET did it the second time I saw it. The first time, I was young and probably was wishing I was seeing TESB for the 3rd time or something. But when I saw ET again in high school I fell victim to every button that Spielberg and Williams hit. Too many scenes to even pinpoint but by the end its probably one of the few times that I approximated something like actual crying.

Tearing up is something that happens quite easily including most recently Finding Neverland and Million Dollar Baby. Particularly the latter movie, although melodramatic in many respects, still an extremely well-executed and involving movie.

- Adam

The only one that I need to say is this:

Field of Dreams - At the end when Kevin Costner's character asks his Dad to play catch. Playing catch with your father is one of the greatest things, and just being able to do it one last time just tears me up just thinking about it.

I shall have a post dedicated to each of my 100's.

:thumbup: I enjoy the LOTR films a lot and have spent good money on the extended versions. But excellent films they are not. Sean Astin and Elijah Wood were poorly cast IMO and their performances tend to spoil the experience for me. Some of the directions Peter Jackson took (particularly regarding Sam and Frodo's characters) really annoy me. The black riders appear in force much too soon. The music sucks (sorry to say it again, but it really bothers me). Gimli is portrayed as a mindless fool, and the final shot of Bilbo getting on the boat in ROTK is so clearly not Ian Holm that I'm amazed it made it into the finished film.

beerchug

I haven't seen Saving Private Ryan( :oops: ), but this moment everyone is talking about sounds like in Ladder 49 when Linda finds out that Jack has died. When she sees Mike and the priest get out of the car...I got choked up. :cry:

~Sturgis

Why didn't anbody mention It's a Wonderful Life? Also, am I the only one who gets emotional with Empire of the Sun? AI is one movie that almost literally drained me with that third act.

-Ross, who cried at the first time in the movies when watching Richard Attenborough's Chaplin.

Also, am I the only one who gets emotional with Empire of the Sun?

You obviously didn't read the other replies.

Myself, Joe, and Johnnynecks mentioned it earlier in the thread.

Looks like ET is here possibly more than any other film.

While I think the film is great, I never cried or even came close to tearing up at the end. The music is gorgeous but I see little to cry about. Even E.T.'s death doesn't do much for me.

Justin - Who finds much of the scene over the top. (Except when the flower wilts. That's just classic. Still not tear inducing though.)

Still not tear inducing though.)

OOooo...you hard hearted Ohio Dweller, ye. Hear ye the words of Melange. E.T and Williams spent weeks rehearsing that final scene, so that the youth could once more feel what it is to feel alive. But like the scoundrel you are, you mock him. Mock him you do. Woe to thee. Now and forever, shall ye suffer from your shamefull ignorance (with wailing tongues and big nasty pointy teeth!!!!)

Did anybody cry watching The Passion?

I think anybody (Justin aside, because he's clearly Evil and Souless) must feel something watching sustained brutality against a human being. Not being religious myself (i sold my soul to a Tea plantation) i still found some parts of that movie distressing. Even though we know it's just a movie. Brutality is brutality, regardless. I think most people who went to see the movie must have been moved to an extent at some point in the movie.

I almost cried during PoA when the whole film goes silent when the Dementor walks behind the ice covered glass on the train. Such a gorgeous sequence. Perfection, exactly as i pictured.

Justin

Mr. Holland's Opus was a sad one for me, at the end when Richard Dreyfuss breaks down and cries. He deserved an Oscar for that.

Road to Perdition - The ending

and Tom Hanks dying again in Saving Private Ryan

and again, this is pathetic, even though he didn't die there were several points in The Terminal where i was tearing up. That's terribly embarassing.

The Mission - Where De niro cries half way through

Catch Me if You Can - That wonderful scene by Chris Walken

For all the films i just mentioned, i wasn't crying like Gwynyth Paltrow or Halle Berry, but just had a lump in the back of my throat or shed one tear. Except Mr. Holland's Opus, that one i cried like a baby. :cry:

Forget about the anti-semitism, isn't anyone worried about how The Passion portrayed the Italians as a barbaric, torturous people?

You tend to mix old times with new times. (i mean, Romans are not just the italians)

Im sure most europeans here have that kind of Italian blood.

Lvcivs Skiwalqvis, who as you see has no idea of latin (except some scientific names...)

Ender, me and another person mentioned the passion...

You tend to mix old times with new times. (i mean, Romans are not just the italians)

Im sure most europeans here have that kind of Italian blood.

And the same cannot be said for the Jews?

Honestly, I think it's time the I-talians take some of the blame.

The Kid (Charlie is invited to the kid's house at the end WAAAAAAA)

City Lights (The flower girl sees Charlie for the first time and realises he is a tramp SOB SOB SOB!!!)

City Lights does it for me every time, the last line of the movie is one of the best ever. As for The Kid, the ending doesn't get me as much as the scene where the authorities come and take the kid away and Charlie chases them down and rescues him. Seeing Jackie Coogan being hauled away in tears in the back of a truck never fails. The music (possibly Chaplins best-scored scene) is perfect, the look on Charlies face as he's being restrained is unforgettable. And when he breaks free, you really want to stand up and cheer. Such an emotional scene yet the slight dosage of humor is just right.

Jeff

OMG you're absolutely right! Yes that's the moment that reduces me to a quiveing wreck, I completely forgot when I was typing my list. The music there is the key factor too. It is heavily based on the cecond subject of the first movement of Tchaikovsky's 6th symphony. Jackie Coogan holding his arms out as he's dragged away is so heart-wrenching. The same music is used in the final scene of Richard Attenborough's biopic Chaplin, when the old Charlie is watching clips of all his films at the 1972 Oscar ceremony. I cry then too!

And i think this thread is heading into dangerous waters 8O

Yes. Somewhere a Dancing Lock is sharpening his sword. Threadbane it is called. The very binaries of HTML code shudder at its unsheathing.

It is not my intention offend you, Tommy, only to show the stupidity behind blaming an entire people.

First, you said "I-talians" instead of "Italians".

Second, ancient Romans is one thing, present Italians is another thing. Very different, actually.

Third, I'm not offended.

It was something potentially offensive, but I'm too intelligent to get offended by this kind of poor posts. 8O

You two are quite the pair. LOL

Yeah, we're a couple. He once tell me that he loves me. :mrgreen:

I'll buy a ring full of diamond for his next birthday. 8O

And I'll go to Holland to marry him. :love:

LOL

You have only one car?

Pffff....

You broke mother censored!

No no no...wrong!

We have 3 cars. One for my dad, one for my mom, and one for me. But mine is damn old and I must change it in the next few months.

We all work, so everyone use his/her car to go working. So we're not poor neither.

So don't worry, I could save some money for our marriage thought. :mrgreen:

Stefan, we're going off-topic as usual. LOL

By the way, people...tomorrow will be my first anniversary here, since I registered on 31th January, 2004.

It's been a very funny year here. Thanks a lot for everything.

I love you all (well at least most of you). I found a place full of nice people to talk with and to share my love for John Williams music.

Thanks,

Mirko

:mrgreen:(That's sounds like a farewell! But it's not!!)

Nobody cares about post counts, or peoples anniversary of when they registered here, Mirko.

It's quality that counts, not quantity.

Oh, well.

That's not exactly the kind of post I expected... :mrgreen:

And you don't have almost 9800 quality post, Stefan! :love: