The Doctor Who Thread.....

Greg1138

Said it before and I'll say it again, there's just no getting past the fact that the Vervoids look kinda like, well, giant cocks - 

Doctor Who S23 E3 "Terror of the Vervoids" / Recap - TV Tropes

Power Of The Doctor had a lot going for it, not least past Doctors and companions (the 'companion support group' was a brilliant notion). Diodati was one where everything just worked really well, and Fugitive threw us the genuine curveball of the 'fugitive Doctor'.  

I'm smitten, that was a very intense trailer

I am not ready, that was some End of Time levels of emotional breakdown happening with Tennant's Doctor and I don't know if my heart can take a similar scenario

Visually though wow it's like a blockbuster film. I don't think Doctor Who has ever looked this good, the shot of the entire city on fire was breathtaking

And man I missed Donna, terrifying alien threat that even the TARDIS is scared of 'well? GO KICK ITS ASS'. I guess I was wrong about it not being the Toymaker since that was just officially confirmed

Vey Exiting! Lots happening. Including the possibility that Donna might not survive. A Regeneration gone wrong? But still no release dates. Hopefully closer to November they release the release dates

29 minutes ago, TBO1711 said:

Vey Exiting! Lots happening. Including the possibility that Donna might not survive. A Regeneration gone wrong? But still no release dates. Hopefully closer to November they release the release dates

I hope they do that soon, I'm planning on taking time off from work to visit my girlfriend so we can watch them in person (she lives in another state) together

4 hours ago, Naïve Old Fart said:

Hell, yeah! :)

I hope that the issue of regeneration is addressed, with The Celestial Toymaker?

I also hope that reference is made to "The Nightmare Fair"?

A nice nod to  Michael Gough, would be nice.

I wouldn't be surprised if The Celestial Toymaker has something to do with the Fourteenth's Doctor's regeneration

The only thing that troubles me about an otherwise rather cool trailer is that they make such a big thing about Donna dying if she remembers the Doctor... followed a minute later by Donna obviously remembering everything about it for the 'kick its ass' line.

If you have an intereting villain, good chemistry and a good plot (something Chibnall's era was almost entirely devoid of) then you don't need plot shocks like that.

11 minutes ago, Richard Penna said:

If you have an intereting villain, good chemistry and a good plot (something Chibnall's era was entirely devoid of)...

Sorted :D

11 minutes ago, Richard Penna said:

The only thing that troubles me about an otherwise rather cool trailer is that they make such a big thing about Donna dying if she remembers the Doctor... followed a minute later by Donna obviously remembering everything about it for the 'kick its ass' line.

It's possible for Donna to form a relationship with The Doctor, without remembering who he is, or what he means to her.

58 minutes ago, Naïve Old Fart said:
1 hour ago, Richard Penna said:

If you have an intereting villain, good chemistry and a good plot (something Chibnall's era was entirely devoid of)...

Sorted :D

I disagree with that. Whittaker and Gill had great chemistry.

3 hours ago, Naïve Old Fart said:

She's supposed to be The Doctor's mother.

Plausible. But according to what?

3 hours ago, Marian Schedenig said:

I disagree with that. Whittaker and Gill had great chemistry.

2 hours ago, Naïve Old Fart said:

Yasmin was, undoubtedly, the best thing about the Chibnall... er ... era?

For all the problems I had with Whittaker's era I liked the companions and The Doctor. Hell, I even liked Dan! But none of them were as good as Capaldi and Coleman of Capaldi and Mackie.

Does Clara get the award for "most improved companion EVER" between her time with 11 compared with 12? (And I liked her with 11 too.)

10 hours ago, Tallguy said:

Plausible. But according to what?

I've not read it, but... apparently, RTD states it in his book The Writer's Tale.

10 hours ago, Tallguy said:

Does Clara get the award for "most improved companion EVER" between her time with 11 compared with 12? (And I liked her with 11 too.)

Sarah Jane Smith was good, with 3, but she came into her own, with 4.

15 hours ago, Richard Penna said:

If you have an intereting villain, good chemistry and a good plot (something Chibnall's era was almost entirely devoid of) then you don't need plot shocks like that.

Obviously we don't know how it's going to be handled but I don't think it's a 'plot shock' as it is acknowledging previous continuity. We should save being critical for how they address the issue of Donna not being able to remember The Doctor and anything associated with him without dying

Am fairly confident the 'kick its ass' line is from the second episode as well. I think the first episode will deal with Donna being unable to remember in some way, and the impression I get is that from that point she has regained her memories

50 minutes ago, TBO1711 said:

Do you think The Star Beast will continue from the end of The Power Of The Doctor just after the Fourteenth Doctor says "What?". 

No it won't, the immediate aftermath of Fourteen's regeneration is currently being depicted in a comic strip in the Doctor Who magazine. The first of the specials will take place after that.

On 09/06/2023 at 9:59 AM, Sweeping Strings said:

There's a comic strip in Doctor Who Magazine, and (for the first time in its history, its stories are usually 'separate entities') from the TV ones) back in November, the strip picked up directly (it's a Dalek story) from the end of The Power Of The Doctor and it is due to run until the issue before the anniversary specials this November ... presumably the end of it will tie in with the beginning of the specials but probably not to the extent that people who don't read the mag feel left out. 

So, strictly speaking ... the Fourteenth Doctor's first adventure is on the page, as opposed to the screen.        

No, for the reasons I posted about here. 

EDIT: Ah, beaten to it. CURSE YOU, DOCTEUR QUI!  

Wouldn't you have thought that (now that NPH is confirmed as being the Celestial Toymaker) the next 'lost story' animation release would have been that story, in a 'nicely tying in' stylee? 

But no, it's The Underwater Menace (which has already had a 'remaining episodes/restoration' release.     

3 hours ago, Sweeping Strings said:

Wouldn't you have thought that (now that NPH is confirmed as being the Celestial Toymaker) the next 'lost story' animation release would have been that story, in a 'nicely tying in' stylee? 

But no, it's The Underwater Menace (which has already had a 'remaining episodes/restoration' release.     

I know, but any restored DW is good DW, even if it has been restored, previously.

Do any off-air recordings of The Celestial Toymaker exit? Where are the scripts?

I've no wish to see out my remaining years, mourning for lost DW episodes... or their restorations.

Its sole surviving episode is on the Lost In Time DVD compilation. Apparently there was also an audio version released on CD in 2001, with linking narration by Peter Purves. 

12 minutes ago, Brónach said:

i assume, other than Tennant and Ncuti, that we have no sign of more doctors in the anniversary episodes?

They're dressing Davison, Baker(2), and McCoy up in sheets in the background again.

14 hours ago, TBO1711 said:

Docteur Qui that pic in link from the new 60th trailer that was released on the 23rd, i'm not spoiling it if it's in the trailer

All good - I misread your post and thought you were implying that Ncuti was in the first special (rather than the third). My mistake - I got the episode names mixed up.

But this is a good time to flag that any other behind-the-scenes stuff (such as rumours or confirmation of other Doctors being spotted on set etc) should be marked with spoiler tags please! I remember someone here changed their avatar to a photo of David Tennant, John Simm and Timothy Dalton in costume from The End of Time before it aired, I was very pissed off!

13 hours ago, Naïve Old Fart said:

They weren't in the 50th, and I've no reason to think that they would be in the 60th. 

For what it's worth, I like THE FIVE(ISH) DOCTORS REBOOT.

Welllll ... Tom Baker was in the 50th (albeit not as the Fourth Doctor). Plus all the Doctors were seen on the viewscreens as they came together to save Gallifrey.  

36 minutes ago, Sweeping Strings said:

Welllll ... Tom Baker was in the 50th (albeit not as the Fourth Doctor). Plus all the Doctors were seen on the viewscreens as they came together to save Gallifrey.  

And in the last shot.

the 50th obviously worked around it by covering a lot of ideas: having eight in the short, ten in the episode, a new extra doctor, and a moment of twelve which was really appropiate for a timetravel show, and tom baker by surprise, plus eleven as the main doctor.

here we seem to be getting instead a revising an old face, just the old favourites, perhaps more ncuti than we may assume, and of course old companions. whoever else is there, it's likely meant as a surprise, although they don't need to do that, and there may not be anyone else, and that's fine.

Some basement FX wizard should try to re-do that shot with 2023 tech. It's still nice, and lovely that Hartnell was given pride of place. But it feels like a Five Doctors publicity shoot homage. Only instead of one wax dummy we get nine.

I'm thinking leading up to the 60th we'll re-watch Day of the Doctor (easy) and The Five Doctors (might take some coercion). If anyone is watching The Three Doctors it will be me on my own.

Just now, Tallguy said:

If anyone is watching The Three Doctors it will be me on my own.

Definitely not; I've been binging classic DW as I've had time over the last few months and I'm in the middle of season 9 right now, I should be on The Three Doctors by the end of the week

1 hour ago, enderdrag64 said:

Definitely not; I've been binging classic DW as I've had time over the last few months and I'm in the middle of season 9 right now, I should be on The Three Doctors by the end of the week

Thanks for the encouragement. I just meant "on my own" at my house. :) OTOH my kids usually want to watch Day of the Doctor more than I do! She loves 11, he loves 10. It's a compromise. And not a bad one at that!

"The Three Doctors" is decent, and it marks Bill Hartnell's last ever acting job.

As with "The Three Doctors", "The Five Doctors" belongs, firmly, to Pat Troughton.

He tucks that story under his arm, and, promptly, walks off, with it. Great performance.

@Tallguy, make sure that you watch the extended version of TFD.

Wonder what The Five Doctors would've done if no previously unseen footage of Tom Baker had been available? I mean, they'd no choice when it came to recasting Hartnell but would there have been another actor brave enough to attempt to measure up as Four?