The Doctor Who Thread.....

Greg1138

Well, in the one snippet we've heard of him speaking in character (the 'What the hell is going on here?!?') he sounded more African than anything else to me. But that could be a regeneration quirk or something, for all I know. 

Out of the 'Scot Docs' so far, McCoy and Capaldi used their own accents but Tennant didn't (apart from Tooth And Claw). 

So when it comes to Ncuti who knows, eh? Who knows ... 

1 hour ago, Sweeping Strings said:

Out of the 'Scot Docs' so far, McCoy and Capaldi used their own accents but Tennant didn't (apart from Tooth And Claw).

For the other characters, it's a put-on accent. For the viewers, it's his real accent.

How very meta :)

12 hours ago, Docteur Qui said:

Do we know yet if Gatwa's using his native Scottish accent? I really hope so, there's something just so right about that accent and the dialogue of this show.

I hear Scottish accents each and every day, up here.

7 minutes ago, Tallguy said:

Don't they all just sound like James Doohan?

(RUNS)

I thought that that's how all Scottish people spoke, until I moved up here. Like any country, there are very marked regional dialects. Add Gaelic - an entirely different language - into the mix (with all its regional dialects), and, to an Englishman, it can sound pretty confusing, sometimes. Some people even speak English and Gaelic in the same sentence.

"What happened to them?'

CHILLS! After 13 years and STILL.

2 hours ago, Naïve Old Fart said:

I thought that that's how all Scottish people spoke, until I moved up here. Like any country, there are very marked regional dialects. Add Gaelic - an entirely different language - into the mix (with all its regional dialects), and, to an Englishman, it can sound pretty confusing, sometimes. Some people even speak English and Gaelic in the same sentence.

I didn't think anybody thought that Scotts sounded like Doohan. Although my kids think they all sound like David Tennant.

A friend got to go on holiday in the UK and got to tour Scottland. He said the farther north you got the darker it got and the harder it got to understand people. :)

That is exactly right.

I live on the (very) West Coast, and local dialects often sound southern Irish.

My FM radio is tuned, permanently, to Radio nan Gàidheal. I could listen to spoken Gaelic, all day.

I only know a couple of phrases off by heart, but I'm due to start learning it.

19 minutes ago, Sweeping Strings said:

I wonder if Sheen ever HAS come close?). 

The closest that Sheen has gotten, is House, in "The Doctor's Wife".

21 minutes ago, Sweeping Strings said:

An Irish (Northern or Southern) Doctor, would be interesting...

"You are The Doctor. You will be ex-ter-min-a-ted!"

"Eeh, feck off, yer little gobshite".

6 hours ago, Sweeping Strings said:

An Irish (Northern or Southern) Doctor, would be interesting, as would a Welsh one (I know there was the joke about it in Staged, but I wonder if Sheen ever HAS come close?). 

Maybe Anthony Hopkins would be interested?

15 hours ago, Marian Schedenig said:

Maybe Anthony Hopkins would be interested?

A nice thought, but I suspect at his age the part requires too much running. Indeed, the lack of same required is cited as a reason by Tom Baker as to why he enjoys making Fourth Doctor audio adventures. 

8 hours ago, DarthDementous said:

And apparently many did when Capaldi was Doctor :P

I'm not surprised, given where Capaldi comes from.

17 minutes ago, Brónach said:

they should just make the doctor run less anyways

Oh, no! Where would DW be, if there were no corridors with shaky sets, to run down?

13 hours ago, Brónach said:

they should just make the doctor run less anyways

The Ninth Doctor's first word to Rose, 16 years after show went off the air, was "Run!". It's a core tenet of the entire show, at least since it was revived.

Rule one: The Doctor lies runs

...but what they actually need to do is not have the Doctor stop and turn after running so much. That's what did in both Capaldi and Smith's knees. 

We have new rumours. 

Spoiler

At the end of the specials, Fourteen will 'bigenerate' - Gatwa's Fifteen will generate FROM him but NOT 'replace' him, allowing Fourteen and Donna to head off on their own adventures in a Disney+ spinoff series. And a spinoff series focusing on UNIT is apparently also on the way on Disney+. 

Davies did say he'd big plans for the show.  

3 hours ago, Sweeping Strings said:

We have new rumours. 

Hide contents

At the end of the specials, Fourteen will 'bigenerate' - Gatwa's Fifteen will generate FROM him but NOT 'replace' him, allowing Fourteen and Donna to head off on their own adventures in a Disney+ spinoff series. And a spinoff series focusing on UNIT is apparently also on the way on Disney+. 

Davies did say he'd big plans for the show.  

this is a ridiculous idea and i don't believe it

It's an interesting idea. Heck, RTD already flirted with it when he created the Human Doctor and chucked him off into E space (or whatever the Rose dimension is called).

You can certainly have two Doctors who are different enough. Smith / Tennant vs. Capaldi comes to mind. Or even 10 / 11 vs. 9. But how do you have SHOWS that are different enough? I guess if you took a 3rd Doctor "The Man from UNCLE but he's an ALIEN" vs. pretty much everyone else?

OTOH, I could see them doing something that would allow Tennant to come back as the Doctor whenever he felt like it no matter how old he gets. Not a separate show but certainly an open door.

I certainly believe that RTD has a whole raft of spinoffs up his sleeve. It's how he was operating BEFORE he had the backing of The Mouse. UNIT makes as much sense as anything. They should try to hire Clark Gregg, just as a hoot.

The UNIT spinoff sounds more plausible to me than the Fourteen and Donna one, I must admit. They might do well to bear in mind that the last time they tried (Class), it was scrapped after a single season due to poor viewing figures. 

35 minutes ago, Tallguy said:

It's an interesting idea. Heck, RTD already flirted with it when he created the Human Doctor and chucked him off into E space (or whatever the Rose dimension is called)

It called "Pete's World" :lol:

Btw, RTD didn't chuck the Human Doctor off into E space. That was Romana #2, and K9.

17 minutes ago, Sweeping Strings said:

I wonder what Doctor Who will be in Disney+ here in the USA. Currently I have my nuWho on Max and my classic on BritBox.

3 minutes ago, Brónach said:

i don't think doctor who gives itself easily to spinoffs. it's not like gundam or star trek.

Well RTD managed to do it twice to certain degrees of success.

And you KNOW someone wants to do Abslom Daak: The Miniseries.

3 hours ago, Sweeping Strings said:

The UNIT spinoff sounds more plausible to me than the Fourteen and Donna one, I must admit. They might do well to bear in mind that the last time they tried (Class), it was scrapped after a single season due to poor viewing figures. 

A shame as I really enjoyed Class, probably moreso than Torchwood and it was a bit more adult than Sarah-Jane Adventures (delightful though they were).

The rumour sounds like plausible wishful thinking but you never know...

It's... Not bad? I love the chorus on the middle eight. Is... That the DEBNEY theme?

Gold's themes for 9, 11, and 12 are so completely distinctive. Even the adjustment for 10's fourth season stands out. This is kind of a mishmash of Gold's other themes. Which might be what the series is going to be?