ROTS will dissapoint.

After listening to the 60 second clip, the short cue from the TV spot and the ringtone I can say only this.

ROTS is a very underwelming score.

Dramatically lacking any cohessive structure, it seems to be cut and paste from earlier williams efforts and Howard Shore's LOTR.

Thematically uninteresting and the LSO's performance seems very lackluster indeed.

This is indeed the dissapointment of the year.

I hope WOTW will be better (well I cannot imagine it actually being worse)

• Replies 145
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Too funny, Steef. When was the last time you listened to overly compressed low-fi Williams music before obtaining the actual CD?

Neil

Don't worry folks. Steef already has the master session tapes and is taunting us with these little tit-bits.

Or maybe someone needs to do this on Steef

spock_mccoy.jpg

Hitch, trying to remember the last time he had a tit bit.

kirk1.jpg

While I agree with Stefan, I think his choice of thread title is somewhat poor.

ROTS will dissappoint should just read ROTS dissappoints

course there is hope that the rest of the music will be better, but I won't be holding my breath. I'll just wait and listen.

I find it funny how people judge an entire 70 minute score after hearing only 60 seconds of it.

Never mind though, I'm used to these kind of threads ;) now you may hate me me for saying this, or strongly disagree at least: I enjoyed star wars 1 & 2 including their scores, and I'm sure rots won't be an exception

course there is hope that the rest of the music will be better, but I won't be holding my breath.  I'll just wait and listen.

But you said people shouldnt say the score is great with one released minute.

How can you say the music could be 'worse' than the grievous cue?!

Luke I am judging just the 30 second and 60 seconds released so far. I haven't judge the score yet, I said I will take a wait and listen approach, but if people can go ape $#!~ over these two snippets of music, then its only fair to allow me to voice a dissenting opinion. I am worried based on the awfullness that was AOTC, and you should be too.

I find it funny how people judge an entire 70 minute score after hearing only 60 seconds of it.

Never mind though, I'm used to these kind of threads ;) now you may hate me me for saying this, or strongly disagree at least: I enjoyed star wars 1 & 2 including their scores, and I'm sure rots won't be an exception

thats good coming from someone who posted this:

I don't care how harry potter-ish or whatever other theme is sounds like, I like it. It's only 60 minutes, but I can't get enough of this! The cd can't come soon enough...

so its ok for you to judge it based on 60 seconds if its positive, but not ok for those of us who judge it negatively.

thats good coming from someone who posted this:

I don't care how harry potter-ish or whatever other theme is sounds like, I like it. It's only 60 minutes, but I can't get enough of this! The cd can't come soon enough...

so its ok for you to judge it based on 60 seconds if its positive, but not ok for those of us who judge it negatively.

I was not judging the entire cd, I was judging the track.

I certainly hope the score DOES disappoint Steef and Joe. Nothing would give me greater pleasure.

thanks, but I will survive, since I have heard so much John Williams I have alot of great to fall back on.

you on the other hand don't have that. I personally hope it sucks for you too.

Well its not usually a good thing to lower yourself to what you consider lower...

like the kid above I am judging on the 30 seconds and the 60 seconds, I still hope for the best, but am prepared for the worst.

What the hell is wrong is some people here? Let's just be honest and say that ROTS will disappoint those individuals who have decided to be disappointed by it, end of story. How dare you assume that it will disappoint us all. Did you ever think that there are those of us excited to hear it, but not ready to pronounce judgment? Are you going to play the Mr. Cynic game and just assume that Williams lied when he said he was proud and happy with his work with Lucas on this series? Whatever. The only Williams score that actually disappointed me was Presumed Innocent and even that had a nice end title cue. Williams did not suddenly lose his talent with ROTS, I think he poured all that he could into the music, which we will enjoy shortly. Why even start a topic with this header?

I have heard so much John Williams I have alot of great to fall back on.  

you on the other hand don't have that.

Umm, say what? I own Diamond Head and SpaceCamp... so, I know Williams, and from the 100 seconds of Revenge of the Sith I've heard, I have hope that it's at least as good as The Phantom Menace. But I, for one, am holding my breath that, with all the thematic quotes towards the end of this score (which presumably are some of the highlights that we haven't yet heard), it will approach Return of the Jedi in quality, which is a 5-star thematic bonanza, whether or not it sits in the shadow of Empire.

I certainly hope the score DOES disappoint Steef and Joe. Nothing would give me greater pleasure.

Why are people so hung up on what others think? Nothing would give ME greater pleasure than if I MYSELF enjoyed the score, but that applies everytime I listen to something I've never heard before.

My hopes are pretty high for this, though I'm aware that they will probably not be met. I expect to walk away from my first ROTS listening with a "that's it?" kind of feeling but after more listenings it will grow on me... just like the last two prequel scores.

Jeff

Why are people so hung up on what others think?

Umm... it's a forum. It's what we do.

Hmm. Perhaps Stefan has had an overdose of LOTR. Another choral scream or french horn unison and he's snapped! Did you know that Howard Shore said that he learned to compose for full orchestra by studying John Williams score of the Imperial March?

Hmmm,in any case this thread is a downer in what should be an upbeat moment in the life of a JWfan,thereby weakening the whole atmosphere.

K.M.

Being a prequel fan, I have developed a thick skin toward such things. It doesn't bring me down at all. Now if only I could have a memory wipe to undo all the spoilers I have endured in order to read about the making of the score.

Umm, say what? I own Diamond Head and SpaceCamp... so, I know Williams, and from the 100 seconds of Revenge of the Sith I've heard, I have hope that it's at least as good as The Phantom Menace. But I, for one, am holding my breath that, with all the thematic quotes towards the end of this score (which presumably are some of the highlights that we haven't yet heard), it will approach Return of the Jedi in quality, which is a 5-star thematic bonanza, whether or not it sits in the shadow of Empire.

I'm sorry what I meant was that I have been listening to John Williams for 40 years, and I have heard pretty much all of it, and while the forum allows me to B&M about his crap stuff, I can look back over 40 years and remember all the good, as it happened, not many (if any) here can do that.

What the hell is wrong is some people here? Let's just be honest and say that ROTS will disappoint those individuals who have decided to be disappointed by it, end of story. How dare you assume that it will disappoint us all. Did you ever think that there are those of us excited to hear it, but not ready to pronounce judgment? Are you going to play the Mr. Cynic game and just assume that Williams lied when he said he was proud and happy with his work with Lucas on this series? Whatever. The only Williams score that actually disappointed me was Presumed Innocent and even that had a nice end title cue. Williams did not suddenly lose his talent with ROTS, I think he poured all that he could into the music, which we will enjoy shortly. Why even start a topic with this header?

nothing wrong with us, as the all time post leader of this forum, I'd say that Stefan has earned the right to say whatever he pleases, within the rules, you on the other hand are new, and haven't earned to right to be so presumptuous regarding Stefan's rights to do anything.

nothing wrong with us, as the all time post leader of this forum, I'd say that Stefan has earned the right to say whatever he pleases, within the rules, you on the other hand are new, and haven't earned to right to be so presumptuous regarding Stefan's rights to do anything.

This is starting to resemble Lord of the Flies

Hmm. Perhaps Stefan has had an overdose of LOTR. Another choral scream or french horn unison and he's snapped! Did you know that Howard Shore said that he learned to compose for full orchestra by studying John Williams score of the Imperial March?

LOL , that's my Jeshopk!

----------------

Alex Cremers

I'm sorry what I meant was that I have been listening to John Williams for 40 years, and I have heard pretty much all of it, and while the forum allows me to B&M about his crap stuff, I can look back over 40 years and remember all the good, as it happened, not many (if any) here can do that.

Yeah, um, I don't think being a member here since Sept 2003 makes me that new, when Stefan started only in 2002. Sure, Stefan can say what he likes, I just think he enjoys being a Negative Nellie and pissing all over everyone's enthusiasm, for whatever sad, lonely reason he has. It ticked me off and I felt I had to say something cause I am sick and tired of the attitude presented. You have no right no judge whether I have EARNED the right or not.

I haven't judged the score yet
but I won't be holding my breath.

;)

But I, for one, am holding my breath that, with all the thematic quotes towards the end of this score (which presumably are some of the highlights that we haven't yet heard), it will approach Return of the Jedi in quality, which is a 5-star thematic bonanza, whether or not it sits in the shadow of Empire.

The quotes won't make this score great, Bowie (that would only mean Williams' laziness), but the whole score.

I'm sure this soundtrack will be thematically strong and coherent, very solid and impressive. People should be more patient and comprenhensive.

John Williams should have retired back in 1977. That was the last time he wrote a listenable score.

LOL

Sure! He should have gone out when he was on top, like Herb Spencer. Add Goldsmith to that list! Then we'd have a 28 Year film music history untainted by classicism. Tangerine Dream, Media Ventures, and Craig Safan could have had their unfettered GLOOOORRRYYYYY!!!!

Yeah, um, I don't think being a member here since Sept 2003 makes me that new, when Stefan started only in 2002.  Sure, Stefan can say what he likes, I just think he enjoys being a Negative Nellie and pissing all over everyone's enthusiasm, for whatever sad, lonely reason he has.  It ticked me off and I felt I had to say something cause I am sick and tired of the attitude presented.  You have no right no judge whether I have EARNED the right or not.

sorry but WRONG, this site has had several boards and has been around since 1999, and TPM, Steef has been here since then, as have I. And with 27 posts I do not think it is your place to criticize this boards greatest member because he finds a piece of JW music lacking. Still please enjoy Star Wars Ep. III Revenge of the Sith.

JoeinAr is correct.

I started here in the Dark times, when the MB had a layout of white font on black background and we coiuld only save 300 posts.

And I have listened to John Williams a lot longer then that even.

Like KM i can detect John williams signature styles, they are almost like his fingerprints.

It's pretty easy to spot when he's doing a score just for the money, or when he's actually inspired by a film and wants to deliver something outstanding.

ROTS is John Williams thinking of buying a summer cottage in the Hampshires.

I really hope johnny gets payed well for this working on this film, cause it might cause him some of his reputation.

Yeah...I really hope he bleeds Lucas for this.

Like KM i can detect John williams signature styles, they are almost like his fingerprints.

It's pretty easy to spot when he's doing a score just for the money, or when he's actually inspired by a film and wants to deliver something outstanding.

ROTS is John Williams thinking of buying a summer cottage in the Hampshires.

I really hope johnny gets payed well for this working on this film, cause it might cause him some of his reputation.

Whoa... call it disillusion! ;)

It's very likely that ROTS will be loved by some and hated by other, while some others will be indifferent about it. Now, where's the problem?!? This happens all the time, with every new JW score!

Really, I don't understand where's the great interest in spitting out adamant judgements (ecstatic or negative) about something all of us still haven't heard, except from those tiny excerpts. It's a bit sad as well, because the focus of the argument isn't even the music itself, but only the supposed own private fulfillment of expectation. It's evident that some people like to spit out judgements just for the sake of it, be them "King of the Board" or simple occasional posters... nobody here has more "authority" than any other, with the exception of the Webmaster, the Administrator and the Moderator. Personally, I prefer to care about the quality, the wit and the meaningful-ness of the opinions than the actual number of posts. With all the respect of the old (and smart) members of this board.

nobody here has more "authority" than any other, with the exception of the Webmaster, the Administrator and the Moderator.

Personally, I prefer to care about the quality, the wit and the meaningful-ness of the opinions than the actual number of posts.

I'm sorry, i'm not following you?

Respect has te be earned.

And when it is not given, it must be taken!

It is the way of things, the way of the Board.

Easily the most pretentious crap ever written on this board. Sorry man, I like you, but you are so full of **** right now.

ROTS is a very underwelming score.

Dramatically lacking any cohessive structure, it seems to be cut and paste from earlier williams efforts and Howard Shore's LOTR.

Thematically uninteresting and the LSO's performance seems very lackluster indeed.

This is indeed the dissapointment of the year.

And you base this on, what?, one and a half minutes of music???!!! "Dramatically lacking any cohesive structure..." LIKE YOU WOULD KNOW!

;)

Pls bring back the old Stefancos. This one *****!

Easily the most pretentious crap ever written on this board. Sorry man, I like you, but you are so full of **** right now.

Interesting for a schoolteacher to start cussing at someone who has a different opinion.

Been listening to too much Axl and Eminem and not enough real music i guess.

Were was this critical attitude last week, were people were proclaiming the brilliance of ROTS based on a ringtone....

And you base this on, what?, one and a half minutes of music???!!! "Dramatically lacking any cohesive structure..." LIKE YOU WOULD KNOW!

You know music right?

Proof my otherwise, instead of calling names (hidden by ****'s)

;)  

Pls bring back the old Stefancos. This one *****!

Did Roald die and get replaced with clone, lacking his sense of humour?

Actually it should read disappoints.

Stefan has a right to his opinion, and everyone has a right to their opinion regarding Stefan's opinion and so on and so forth, regardless of POSTING seniority or what have you...someone said it before, "This is a forum", thats what you do...sometimes you agree, and hopefully most of the time, if we have a true plurality of opinion, taste and individuality, we disagree to varying degrees.

This said, I have to say that I AGREE with Stefan about Williams buying a segway, yacht and lifetime suppy of Ensure energy shakes with his ROTS check....and good for him. I hate the prequels (an opinion of which I'm entitled)...i think they're poorly acted, horribly written films that never should have been made....YET JUST LOOK at the score of the Phantom Menace...its brilliant, and I'd argue that there was close to nothing in that film to inspire Williams save that it was very colorful and rather different....and he still had his mind fresh with that Robert Graves Tree Poetry stuff which really inspired alot of his best work.

AOTC sucked, it just sucked, the movie sucked and the score was not that great...but really, if I was looking at the movie and had to write music too it, i'd track a small child screaming over the film as my sound track, or that rock song that starts "no no no, no no no no no no"....I think its phenominal that he produced the "okay" score that he did....

I've read the script to ROTS, I can't imagine this thing being better than the other ones, especially with the attempt at more ah..."emotional" scenes, thats a disaster for Lucas, because he can't direct...so if the score sucks, don't get upset...and if you LOVE IT, thats great, but so far it doesn't sound like its offering up any new material, and yes its got some bitingly obvious Howard Shore references....maybe he couldn't get over losing the award to him....

which he shouldn't have, Harry Potter is an amazing soundtrack...Williams still got it, but he doesn't have to score a hit everytime...sure its Star Wars and we have higher expectations, but we also did for the movies, and I don't think anyone here can tell me those movies met anywhere near their expectations for what those movies should and could have been....

Actually it should read disappoints.

AHH a spelling nazi, please take off your boots, they are crawling up your ***.

and yes its got some bitingly obvious Howard Shore references....maybe he couldn't get over losing the award to him....

Williams referenced The Planets in his score for Star Wars, so it's not so strange that he would go to Shore's LOTR scores for inspiration.

So far the only true epic sage of the new century.