What is the Last Film You Watched? - Part II

Lurker

I can live with Bond outrunning explosions, but the CG waveride in DAD was utter rubbish (mainly sunken by its shoddy effects work).

A friend of mine let me borrow it, saying that it was good,

He lied.

I know that now ;)

Tim

• Replies 8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Saw V for Vendetta again. Loved it again. This will probably be the first film from 2006 I'll see more than twice in the theaters (2005 had three such film).

The Aristocrats. This movie was way too long for the material and story it tells. It's about the supposed "dirtest joke" ever told, involving, on some level, sex, incest, fecal waste, urination, blood, and all manner of disgust that a person can cram into a joke. Basically, there's a few dozen comics, including Bob Saget, that try to top each other by telling the most foul version of this old joke which is primarily about a man who walks into an agent's office to audition his family for a stage show, and their "act" involves all of the hideous aspects I previously mentioned.

The purpose, of course, isn't the punchline, but the way the story is told and how far the comic is willing to go in their description of events.

Basically, it's good for the first 40 minutes, there are some genuine belly laughs, and the subject is intriguing in its grotesque perversion, but it goes on for more then twice that length and by the end I wasn't laughing. There's only so many times you can hear the same joke repeated in different variations before all you're doing is seeing how they top each other, until finally, you don't care. In the end, its worth a watch, especially the first half hour, but don't expect to be glued to your TV set the entire way.

Tim

Good Night and Good Luck. Sharp, straight to the point and concisely edited (93 minutes in including credits!). Great acting and absolutely lovely black and white photography (i'm a sucker for b&w). ****/****

The Aristocrats.  This movie was way too long for the material and story it tells.  It's about the supposed "dirtest joke" ever told, involving, on some level, sex, incest, fecal waste, urination, blood, and all manner of disgust that a person can cram into a joke.

I think I heard Eric Cartman tell that one in a deleted scene from South Park.

Mary Poppins. I thought this was supposed to be a family movie, but I fail to see how this film would work for someone above the age of 9-10 (unless they suffer from Jurrasic Park-itis, Alex's term for people who have delusions that a mediocre film is great because of fond childhood memories). I did not like any of the songs, except for the insturmental of 'Chim-Chimeny' and part of 'Feed The Birds'. A star rating would be unfair, as this movie is not meant for me. Suffice to say, I will not be seeing it again of my own accord.

Needed a film that my 89 year grandfather who has altzheimers might be able to follow, so I took him to Ice Age 2. Amiable, some good stuff, almost totally forgettable. Looks great. Nice score, especialy during the last half hour. I LOVED the use of 'Food, Glorious Food' from Oliver!, even though it's a reference no kid seeing the film would get. **1/2 out of ****.

Skimmed Memoirs of a Geisha and the commentaries. The accents bothered me a lot more than the first time. Score's still magnificent, the theme is really amazing in the film. I liked the behind the scenes doc, kinda interesting. Marshall mentions Williams a few times in the commentary. The second commentary, by Pietro Scalia, John Myhre, and Colleen Atwood was pretty dry. Scalia mentions JW during the 'Confluence' scene, says the orchestra got very emotional during the recording of that cue.

The Aristocrats.  This movie was way too long for the material and story it tells.  It's about the supposed "dirtest joke" ever told, involving, on some level, sex, incest, fecal waste, urination, blood, and all manner of disgust that a person can cram into a joke.

I think I heard Eric Cartman tell that one in a deleted scene from South Park.

Yeah, they used that scene in the film, too.

Tim

they suffer from Jurrasic Park-itis, Alex's term for people who have delusions that a mediocre film is great because of fond childhood memories)

How on Earth is that not Star Wars-itis?

they suffer from Jurrasic Park-itis, Alex's term for people who have delusions that a mediocre film is great because of fond childhood memories)

How on Earth is that not Star Wars-itis?

Because Star Wars is more than just a dumb monster film.

That's your Jurassic Park-itis right?

No, that would be the The Wizard Of Oz.

FYI, Star Wars has the myth, the characters that lead their own life, the dialogue that changed the way we talk, etc. Plus, it's based on The Wizard Of Oz. What more do you want?!

Jurassic Park has nothing but dinos to impress the kids. It's already fading big time. It won't survive. It's tied to only one generation (the Lotmans, the Mr. Breathmasks, the Merkels). And they embraced it for all the wrong reasons.

Alex

God, how I love Jurassic Park...I never get tired of watching it.

Don't you play with Lego's too?

Justin

I build with legos. It could be clay, or matches, or wood, or marble. I just try to create stuff with plastic toys.

And I never said Jurassic Park was one of the best movies ever made. But it is a wonderful movie to watch when you're 10, and that's not easy to do. And the movies has aged very very well.

I was raised with Michael Crichton's very own Westworld. It's about an amusement park where things go deadly wrong. Sounds familiar?

Alex

I was never overwhelmed with Jurassic Park. I thought it was good, but it didn't change my life or anything. And I've always found the score to be good but overrated too. I got the JP "Adventure Pack" for Christmas this year with all three movies, and enjoyed the original but damn near fell asleep during 2 and 3.

But then again what do I know, I like the Star Wars prequels. ;)

Jurassic Park has nothing but dinos to impress the kids. It's already fading big time. It won't survive. It's tied to only one generation (the Lotmans, the Mr. Breathmasks, the Merkels).

Don't forget the Barnsburys, and I'm pretty sure you could throw the Podmores in there too.

Ray Barnsbury

Jurassic Park has nothing but dinos to impress the kids. It's already fading big time. It won't survive. It's tied to only one generation (the Lotmans, the Mr. Breathmasks, the Merkels). And they embraced it for all the wrong reasons.

I hate to disappoint you, but just for the record, although I should have been kind of the right age, I am nostalgic not to Jurassic Park, but to (and I grew up with VHS copies of) the 80s films, like the Indiana Jones trilogy, the Star Wars trilogy, Back to the Future, the Goonies, but also Empire of the Sun, The Mosquito Coast, Witness and so on.

Jurassic Park comes kind of last in that sensitive nostalgic period - and as a film which pretty much aims to entertain, it succeeds completely, because it doesn't have the pretence of an Emmerich or Bruckheimer film - it doesn't want to do anything more.

Jurassic Park has nothing but dinos to impress the kids. It's already fading big time. It won't survive. It's tied to only one generation (the Lotmans, the Mr. Breathmasks, the Merkels).

Don't forget the Barnsburys, and I'm pretty sure you could throw the Podmores in there too.

The Enders.

I know Jurassic Park is far from being a perfect film, but it has a sense of awe and wonder before the adventure that's too contagious to ignore. "Fun" is also a valid virtue in a movie, Alex.

I know Jurassic Park is far from being a perfect film, but it has a sense of awe and wonder before the adventure that's too contagious to ignore.

Great, but that alone will only take you so far. I'm afraid all the other ingredients were missing. The whole time I was waiting for Spielberg to seduce me with his storytelling capabilities, to charm me with his characters. I left the theatre thinking Spielberg did not really direct this movie, otherwise I would've felt the master's touch.

"Fun" is also a valid virtue in a movie, Alex.

Fun? Jurassic Park? That's your idea of fun? Raiders Of The Lost Ark was fun, Jaws was fun, E.T. was fun. Solid stories with intelligent scripts and strong and memorable characters. Compared to these films, Jurassic Park is nothing but CGI showcase based on Crichton's same old story. I'm sure that kids have "fun" with it, but there comes a time that you have to let go. Of course, you're free to cling to your childhood memories for as long as you wish.

----------------

Alex Cremers

SILENT HILL - Nice to see Alice Krige on the big screen again. And it's always refreshing to watch a burning at the stake again. Reminds me of my Witchfinder General days again.

Fun? Jurassic Park? That's your idea of fun? Raiders Of The Lost Ark was fun, Jaws was fun, E.T. was fun. Solid stories with intelligent scripts and strong and memorable characters.

No, that's very solid filmmaking which is also fun (a very rare mix). "Fun" per se does not need to be solid. Hence, Star Wars is "fun". Harmless, meaningless, craze-based fun.

Compared to these films, Jurassic Park is nothing but CGI showcase based on Crichton's same old story. I'm sure that kids have "fun" with it, but there comes a time that you have to let go. Of course, you're free to cling to your childhood memories for as long as you wish.

You do realize I agree with you, right? I did not claim Jurassic Park was a masterpiece because... well, it isn't. It's just that - "fun". And yes, it's close to my heart because it is a childhood memory, I never denied that. I just said that its status is in no way different from Star Wars. I mean, is this sentence not equally correct?:

Compared to these films, Star Wars is nothing but CGI showcase based on Vogler's same old story. I'm sure that kids have "fun" with it, but there comes a time that you have to let go. Of course, you're free to cling to your childhood memories for as long as you wish.

And considering how obsessively defenssive Star Wars fans are when compared to Jurassic Park ones, I think the syndrome should be changed to Star Wars-itis.

I saw From Hell yesterday. The athmosphere of the film is wonderful and I really love the Victorian era London. The story was based on a graphic novel and it was excellent in tying together so much of the Jack the Ripper mythos and even adding few original touches to it. Johnny Depp and Ian Holm shine in this movie. Holm in particular does a great job and is for once in a major role.

But I am sucker for the era and one nightly cityscape shot of London in Victorian times and I was sold. ;)

The plot could have been a tad more suspenceful and frightening but as it is it was certainly interesting.

The directors (the Hugh brothers) utilize red and green colour subtly but effectively as the main colours in the film besides the grey gloom of London. The colours create an eerie athmosphere that is just right for the movie and stand out from the grey and black background.

Shaun of The Dead. This is, in some ways, one of the best films ever made. The synthesis of horror and humor is so intelligently done that you leave the film simply floored.

Justin

First of all, as for Jurrasic Park, I'm largely with Ender on it.

Second of all, I made good on my word and saw V for Vendetta a third time. And I still had a fantastic job. I'm shocked that the film didn't get worse after each time, which is usually the case with repeated viewings. Inspired casting was done on this film, superb acting (except from Ms. Portman, who was merely adequate, but being Ms. Portman, was still great to watch). The score is also groing on me. I'm sure it doesn't make for a very good album listen, but his theme is used well in the film, and 'Evey Reborn' is a spectacular cue, for all it's simplicity. Still ***1/2 out of ****.

;) 'Food, Glorious Food' (music by Lionel Bart) from Ice Age 2: The Meltdown by John Powell

And considering how obsessively defenssive Star Wars fans are when compared to Jurassic Park ones, I think the syndrome should be changed to Star Wars-itis.

But, like I said, the difference is that Star Wars is much more than just a monster film. Jurassic Park is only know for its monsters and that's what people recognize it for. However, it's fading because monsters was all it had to offer (characters and story couldn't match the dinos). It never became a part of our popular culture like Star Wars which transcended generations and cultures. The only people that still give Jurassic Park a special place in their heart is your generation, Ender. Hence the name "Jurrassic Park-itis" (a name Morlock appropriately invented).

PS: I just asked 1000 people who Ellie Sattler is and only 3 of them knew the answer. Then I asked who Luke Skywalker is ...

----------------

Alex Cremers

Saw Elektra, purely for the Garner factor. I was very disappointed, despite her being incredibly hot. A waste of her talents really; she had no real character. I felt like I was watching Sydney Bristow before the C.I.A. or something. She seemed to be nothing like the Elektra in Daredevil, either. Cliched characters, predictable plot - but a quirky, experimental if unmemorable score by Buffy veteran Chris Beck.

I'm still waiting for the film that will showcase the awesome job Garner does on every episode of Alias.

But, like I said, the difference is that Star Wars is much more than just a monster film. Jurassic Park is only know for its monsters and that's what people recognize it for. However, it's fading because monsters was all it had to offer (characters and story couldn't match the dinos). It never became a part of our popular culture like Star Wars which transcended generations and cultures. The only people that still give Jurassic Park a special place in their heart is your generation, Ender. Hence the name "Jurrassic Park-itis" (a name Morlock appropriately invented).

PS: I just asked 1000 people who Ellie Sattler is and only 3 of them knew the answer. Then I asked who Luke Skywalker is ...

----------------

Alex Cremers

Very few movies, if any, are as remembered as Star Wars, so it's bit unfair to compare it to Jurassic Park. But the movie will have its place in history. It's not a brilliant film, but as action or monster movie goes, it's one of the best ever made.

Very few movies, if any,  are as remembered as Star Wars, so it's bit unfair to compare it to Jurassic Park. But the movie will have its place in history. It's not a brilliant film, but as action or monster movie goes, it's one of the best ever made.

Only according to those who still suffer from Jurassic Park-itis. I mean, it's not even in the IMDB's top 250. How pathetic is that, huh?

Indeed. I don't trust any source with Revenge of the Sith in the top 250. :eek:

I find Jurassic Park hugely enjoyable, but I'm yet to find a catergory that I would say it is "the best" or even "one of the best" in.

The presence of certain films on the Top 250 make me cry for all the wrong reasons. Have you seen the entire list? After the first dozen, I start biting my lower lip as I read.

Tim

There are quite a lot on there that I haven't seen. Some (like 12 Angry Men) I have absolutely no excuse for not having seen, but some of the others seem to be of questionable quality, to say the very least.

The Long Goodbye just made Ebert's Great Movies list, and he didn't mention Williams :eek:

Of course, his contribution wasn't the be all, end all, but it would have been nice to drop his name. The fact that he didn't even bring him up during any of his 3 reviews of E.T. is inexcusable, though.

Tim

Since when is IMDB a reliable source?

You can clearly see what lives amongst a large group of movie fans. Quite a bit larger than the petite group over here (and who are all Williams minded).

The presence of certain films on the Top 250 make me cry for all the wrong reasons.  Have you seen the entire list?  After the first dozen, I start biting my lower lip as I read.

Tim

Maybe you're right. What titles are you missing?

I distrust any list that has Aliens above Jaws.

That just means that many people voted the Aliens. It's a very popular film, Stefancos. Live with it.