What is the Last Film You Watched? - Part II

Lurker

Layer Cake.  Interesting story and very well acted.  I thought it was pretty good overall.

Tim

Indeed - I was surprised by the generally "mediocre" reviews it got by the critics.

You call 80% on the tomatoreader mediocre? Wow!

• Replies 8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just finished The Office BBC. Utterly brilliant.

Now I'm starting a long journey back through the world of Babylon 5. Great show. first few episodes are eeehhhhh.

Justin

The BBC is re-running The Office again. First ep aired last Monday, and I was happy to catch it. Yes, it's still completely brilliant.

"Those post-it notes are 12p apiece. That means if you steal a thousand, you make... you know... a profit."

Saw The New World. The first half is amazing, brilliant, the second half totally failed to draw me in, and felt excrutiatingly long. Most important person to note when speaking abuot the film is obviously Emmanuel Lubezki, the DP, who made for an absolutely stunning film.

The opening of the film is one of the most awe inspiring things I've ever seen and heard in a film. The Wagner piece is used in a fashion that reminded me of 2001, and in a good way. The sequence of Smith in the Indian camp is pure cinematic bliss.

The second half, as I said, totally failed to draw me in. The John Rolfe story did not seem to fit in well to me, and I was totally unmoved by Bale's Rolfe (I think Bale did a fine job, but I didn't care about Rolfe or his story, after what came earlier). I think the movie miscalculated when continuing with Pocahontas' story to such an extensive extent, I don't think her life story is the story here.

**** for the first half and **1/2 for the second makes for *** out of ****.

I was debating when to see it for a long time, always putting it off in favor of something else, but then I saw ti was showing at my local theater only once a day, meaning it soon would be gone never to return to the big screen. I knew this was a theater film.

V for Vendetta

Caught an early screening of it. As a comic adaption it's very faithful to Moore's work, the most faithful of all the movies based on his comics. Exceptional work by Weaving and Portman but I still feel odd after watching it, maybe it was too long or something. It's late

L.A. Confidential

Hooray! I saw a movie that did not disappoint again!

Excellent work, witha great cast, and a well-written plot and mystery that is slowly revealed. Good score by the great late Jerry Goldsmith, too. See it if you haven't.

The film was shown in 16:9 last night.

It was shot in Super 35.

I don't think it was an open matte presentation, though. The scene where Exley is asked to testify had people framed pretty far to the edge of the screen. Probably the 2.35:1 image cropped to 16:9. But it was very watchable.

It's a flawless films, one of the very few out there.

One of the few things Alex and I agree about.

I like the narrative of this film. Curtis Hanson shoves the film in your direction like an unstoppable bulldozer, and yet, he manages to be refined and unobstrusive.

----------------

Alex Cremers

V for Vendetta

Caught an early screening of it. As a comic adaption it's very faithful to Moore's work, the most faithful of all the movies based on his comics.

He still disowned the film.

He was right in doing so, Joel Silver was a dumbass to tell everybody that he was excited about the movie and approved of the script.

Also I reccomend seeing the film first and then reading the graphic novel, the theme is completely different from the book, which is also another reason why Moore pulled his name.

The Omen

I must say, I much prefer horror films where the main characters actually aren't bumbling teenage morons. Good movie, but not up to the level of The Exorcist IMO.

It's a flawless films, one of the very few out there.

One of the few things Alex and I agree about.

I like the narrative of this film. Curtis Hanson shoves the film in your direction like an unstoppable bulldozer, and yet, he manages to be refined and unobstrusive.

I'll third the motion. The movie is just great at every turn, never makes a wrong move. I know some people don't like the ending....but I just love it. A wonderful curveball of an ending, that fits in with the cynical tone of the film.

I saw Nanny McPhee, for Patrick Doyle and the cast. The seven year olds in the theater absoultely loved it. I tried to walk out and switch theaters in the begining....but the only other film I was full (Spike Lee's The Inside Man). This is a kids movie, plain and simple. And it should be great for kids, but the only real joy I found in it as seeing Derek Jacobi, who's always a sight for sore eyes. The score sounds like it could be lovely on CD, but there is waaaaaay too much Mickey-Mousing in the film.

Again- great for kids, but ** out of **** for me.

I also saw The Piano for the first time. Maybe my lofty expectations killed it's chances with me....but it was one of the oddest and most painful films I've seen. I had a terrible, terrible time watching it. The eroticism was creepy and unconvicing, the characters choices and actions seemed to come out of nowhere.....I hate it. Even that lovely theme was soiled in my ears by the association....a bad film experience. Only thing I liked about it was Anna Paquin. If this is feminist filmmaking at it's best, than as far as I'm concerned, we could do without it.

*1/2 out of ****, for Paquin, the look of it, and a little bit for Nyman.

The Omen

I must say, I much prefer horror films where the main characters actually aren't bumbling teenage morons. Good movie, but not up to the level of The Exorcist IMO.

I knew you wouldn't be able to stay away from it after you'd heard Jerry's score. It's a shame you really can't hear The Dogs Attack over all the barking.

Justin - Who'd also like to see a version with "The Altar".

The Omen

I knew you wouldn't be able to stay away from it after you'd heard Jerry's score.

I have not yet heard Jerry's score outside of the film. This was the first time I heard anything of it, and it was very clear Goldsmith's music was a major contribution to the scarefactor of this film.

My Omen trilogy set should arrive from Varèse somewhere in the following weeks, though. :P

The Omen

I want to see it again. However, I remember that everytime I watched it, I afterwards felt that it was a missed opportunity. There's something really wonderful about the whole concept, and the inherent atmosphere, but somehow it doesn't really translate to the actual film. With its interesting cast, I wonder if the remake might actually stand a chance of being good.

Goldsmith's score is one of the great masterpieces of course - on CD. I never really had the feeling that it added that much to the film.

As for The Exorcist - I've seen it twice, and both times was very unimpressed. Not a bad film, but I fail to see what's so great about it.

Marian - who must watch The Tenant again.

Now that everyone is in their horror mode, I recently saw The Changeling. Nicely built up, incorporates all the expected elements, somewhat predictable though, but I liked the shift to the political.

Hey, for those of you that purchased the All the President's Men DVD (which I mentioned in an earlier post)...did anyone else notice that they used John Williams' Presumed Innocent music for the "Making of" documentary on the second disc? At first I kept getting distracted and I couldn't understand why. My attention was constantly drawn to the background music, then it hit me...and I immediately ran to my computer to make this post!

The only reason I can deduce is because both films were directed by Alan Pakula.

Tim

The Thin Red Line and Hamburger Hill. Was unimpressed with HH. Will have further comments later.

*Edit*

I found The Thin Red Line to be a thoughtful film with some beautiful naration. Overall the film seemed somewhat uncentered. I'm not certain what it was trying to say. The film questions many things about man and ultimatly all the questions are left unanswered. The film doesn't doesn't have more than a semblance of a plot. It's just basically a battle. So for those expecting something plot driven (I.E. Saving Private Ryan) this is not what you are going to get. The film is driven by it's visual presence and it's strong narrative. The film is a feast for the eyes. Beautiful colors and shots with a completly beautiful score backing it. If the film has one weakness it's that's it's trying to be to "heady" and could lose much of it's audience. However, I found the balance to be done quite well. All performances were strong especially Nolte's. Overall the most unique and thought provoking war film I've seen in quite awhile.

Hamburger Hill on the other hand seemed somewhat generic. Certainly the story is powerful but it just didn't click with me. A few days later and it's slipping from memory. There was no real striking visual style as seen in Full Metal Jacket, and no real emotional or intelecual backing to it like in Platoon. Overall a generic entry not really worth one's time.

Justin

Flight Plan, and Phantom of the Opera

neither is a great film, however both are very entertaining.

I'm not sure if I posted this, don't remember...

While I was out of town from the 28th of February to March 12th I saw "Stealth" for the first time. I thought it was a pretty good film. Some very good CG work in that film. The ending was kind of lame though.

I also saw "DOOM" with The Rock. I thought it was okay, nothing spectacular. I probably won't be buying this one on DVD, I will buy "Stealth" though.

Inside Man

Probably one of the most enjoyable films of the year. Very smart script, a must in any heist movie, and Washington and Owen steal every scene they're in. Foster's character wasn't as wooden as I thought she'd be from looking at the trailers but she's still not completely fleshed out.

I saw Romance and Cigarettes yesterday. It had lots of flaws, and glaring ones, but I just couldn't help loving this film. Not perfect by any means, not even brilliant, but thoroughly enjoyable.

Christopher Walken > anyone else ever

EDIT: except maybe JW :)

Inside Man

Probably one of the most enjoyable films of the year. Very smart script, a must in any heist movie, and Washington and Owen steal every scene they're in. Foster's character wasn't as wooden as I thought she'd be from looking at the trailers but she's still not completely fleshed out.

I hope to see it tonight.

I liked that, but I think Pixar have done better stuff, before and since.

I agree. It is a very, very, very good movie, but, for me, is not great enough. My favorite Pixar film is still A Bug's Life, followed by The Incredibles.

I think it was their best film up to that point.

At least that's what I thought last time I saw it. It's been a while though.

The Incredibles is also outstanding though.

Marian - who STILL hasn't seen The Incredibles. :devil:

Okay, I've got an interesting line-up for ya.

The Inside Man. First movie I've seen from 2006 (I think- I might have missed one). M-E-H, i.e., meh. Plot is needlessly convoluted, I was expecting a much bigger twist at the end. It was annoying that you know from the get-go the the guys got away with it.

Clive Owen was boring here, had nothing substansive to do. Denzel was fun, but he seemed to be sleepwalking through a lot of it. He hasn't played a charcter this green in a while, and it didn't suite him (did he have to fall for EVERY trap Owen set for him? Jodie Foster was annoying, something that was not helped by having a dumb, vague, and ultimately pointless character. Christopher Plummer was watchable as always, but the twist involving his character was...weird, for lack of a better word. The whole underlying motivation was a very strange one for this movie.

Anyhoo, I didn't too many moments that seemed to have come from Lee, aside from the GTA- type game, and the ethnic portraits. The score was not terribley impressive, though there was a terriffic string cue near the end.

** out of ****.

Kiss Kiss, Bang Bang. I LOVED this movie. Not the plot, which I never got into, but the feel of the movie! the feel of these characters! the utterly fantastic dialogue! I loved it. Robert Downey Jr. is an absolute joy to watch, as is Val Kilmer, in his first good role in a very long time (Heat is the last one I can think of), and it is a great role. Michelle Monaghan is a fine discovery, she keeps up with her two costars admirably. Tons of brilliant lines. Among my favorites:

Gay Perry: Look up idiot in the dictionary. You know what you'll find?

Harry: A picture of me?

Gay Perry: No! The definition of idiot. Which you fucking are!

GayPerry: So she comes to the door and she is totally nude, from head to toe. And she leads me inside and I sit down, right? Well, then she sits right on my lap.

Harry: Really? That happened?

Gay Perry: No. Idiot.

Gay Perry: [Leaving Party] I'm talking money...

Harry: W-what? A talking monkey?

Gay Perry: Yeah, A talking space monkey from the future, the only thing he can say though is "Ficus".

The line about LoTR was fantastic, and the closing was the perfect way to end the film.

Damn, I had a great time watching this film.

***1/2 out of ****.

Ookay- next up- Catch Me If You Can. Some of the most ingeniusly satisfying scenes I've ever seen, put together in a crucially flawed package. But that's Spielberg for ya. (I hope to start a thread on the topic....eventually). Still, ***1/2 out of ****.

Last, but certainly not least, an old favorite that I've mentioned in these threads more than once-

Man_Wh1.jpg

The Man Who Would be King. Simply one of the greats. The last real, pure adventure film Hollywood produced. A joy from begining to end, one of the absolute best screen duos ever, if not the best. It's not a plished film in any sense- it has a very dirty feel about it, the music is often very obvious and never really matches the on screen action, and, yes, it does suffer from a slow scene here and there, but, overall, my personal favorite John Huston film (something Ross might comment on....:|), and simply one of the finest films ever made. The film is so deliciously filmic, I'm hard-pressed to think of a more filmic film.

This is film is one of the reasons I love the 70's so much. You've got your Deer Hunters, Networks, Dog Day Afternoons, Taxi Drivers, French Connections, ect.......along with the Stings, the Jaws, the Murder on the Orient Express, the Man Who Would Be Kings.

The upper-most end of **** out of ****.

Morlock- "If a Greek can do it, We can do it!"

Ookay- next up- Catch Me If You Can. Some of the most ingeniusly satisfying scenes I've ever seen, put together in a crucially flawed package.

I'd like to hear your reasons :|

You've made me interested enough to go check out The Man Who Would be King now

Saw two recent films.

The first was Just Friends. Not my choice. Bad movie. Terrible character. Worse story. * out of ****.

The second was The Matador. Wonderful little movie, with some of geminess in it, coming mainly for Pierce Brosnan's performance, the best he's given by a mile and a half. Funny, poignant, surprising, endearing, heartwarming- and a lot of these stuff you find in the places you'd least expect. Greg Kinear is good in it, as is Hope Davis, great writing, solid direction, excellent DP work, fantastic use of music (though the score didn't have too much affect on the film, the song use was great). But this movie is Brosnan's. If you like him (and I find it hard to imagine someone who doesn't), you should definately check this one out.

***1/2 out of ****.

Floating Weeds. Great film from 1959 Japan by the great Yasujiro Ozu. It's an unwinding movie, moving slowly and deliberately. Nothing much really happens, technically, but I couldn't stop watching it because of the characters and dialogue.

Tim

Just saw King Kong last night, and i have to say the Jurassic Park is a million times better in almost every way. The tension, believabilty, overall directing, and even special effects. Not only did the T.rex's and raptors look way cooler in jp, but there were some places where the people looked like they were standing in front of a screen with all the action going on in it.

Also, one question: How in the World Did they get Kong on that boat?!!