What is the Last Film You Watched? - Part II

Lurker

There's little moment that trully moves in ROTS. When Obi-wan says:

"Anakin's the father, isn't he? I'm so sorry..."

That's when he apologizes for selling defective contraceptives, right?

Neil

• Replies 8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The acting and dialogue in Clones and Sith were the worst things I have seen/heard in a long........ long........ time.

I mean:

"From the moment I met you, all those years ago, a day hasn't gone by when I haven't thought of you. And now that I'm with you again, I'm in agony. The closer I get to you, the worse it gets. The thought of not being with you makes my stomach turn over - my mouth goes dry. I feel dizzy. I can't breathe. I'm haunted by the kiss you should never have given me. My heart is beating, hoping that kiss will not become a scar. You are in my very soul, tormenting me."

And your new dance is fine, but don't give up on the old one- Bale has got some great new projects coming (The Prestige sounds friggin' great!).

Wow, Nolan and Bale are teaming up again!

I saw the fact that Anderton still shot Crowe a few seconds late, saying "Goodbye Crowe" and Crowe saying "Anderton, Wait" to imply something rather depressing, that your choices don't matter, you can't run from your destiny, the most you can do is put it off. That, of course, flies in the face of the finale, which implies the exact opposite. That's the thing that bugs me most about the film- it is filled with ideas, but often half thought out and contradictory.

That's something that made me dislike the final act. I thought Anderton going to jail was a great ending. But at that point there's still, what, 20 minutes to go or something? I haven't seen the film since its theatrical run, so I don't know exactly how long it was.

Anyway, I didn't like this contradiction, especially with that happy shot of Cruise reunited with his wife. The future's all bleak and dark, and it felt a bit too Spielbergian to tack all that on.

I haven't read the source material though, so maybe I'm entirely wrong here.

The CGI was not what made that scene great.

You're absolutely right. The scene is obviously comprised of CGI elements, but the tension that is built from the pacing (editing), lighting, music, etc...

Spielberg put together a great scene, and the coolest part of it all is quite practical. It's that overhead shot that dips in and out of the rooms, even through a ceiling fan (which is not computer aided).

Also, another scene that is masterful is the mall scene. Every part, just the way it was structured and told is amazing.

Tim

I watched Schindler's List last night. So if I'm depressed today, that's why.

The story itself is very poignant but undeniably sad. But the movie contains some of the best acting I have seen. Liam Neeson became one of my favorite actors after that film.

I watched Schindler's List last night. So if I'm depressed today, that's why.

The story itself is very poignant but undeniably sad. But the movie contains some of the best acting I have seen. Liam Neeson became one of my favorite actors after that film.

He certainly gives a much-needed good performace in TPM too. :)

True though even Neeson seems to be lost half the time with the cooky plot and strange blue screen environment of TPM. :)

True though even Neeson seems to be lost half the time with the cooky plot and strange blue screen environment of TPM. :)

Neeson was not happy with his TPM experience.

Was anyone? :)

Was anyone? :)

Probably Lucas was over joyed.

The Chronicles of Narnia.

Not bad. I even like the music, not as epic as it should be but enjoyable. I even cannot picture the blitz without the MV sounding... ('What have i donnnne!' :) )

As always i loved the avian creatures attack :)

Aslan is the best CGI animal i have ever seen. And possibly much better than kong (and aslan has not a motion capture counterpart) Its a shame not all the other creatures have his quality, so i think overall kong may have more quality (i still have to see the diplodocians and the 'raptors'...).

What i cant believe is that Rhytm & Hues the company who made aslan is responsible for the worst SFX i have seen in a movie: Daredevil. That's improvement.

Hadn't heard about it? That's one of the most exciting projects around, IMO.

The movie contains some of the best everything I've ever seen.

Hadn't heard about it? That's one of the most exciting projects around, IMO.

Hell yes it is! Bale, Hugh Jackman, Michael Caine, David Bowie as Tesla and now Scarlett Johannsen is now in it, sounds amazing!

Max

Star Trek III: The Search for Spock. A good Star Trek film. I had a good time with it. Not too long, doesn't lag for any serious period of time. Good acting, some good dialogue, solid F/X work, good music. I was looking out for for the 'Stealing the Enterprise' cue, which I'd never heard before, and was a bit underwhelmed. I'll have to wait until I get the score. Ranks 4th among the ST films I've seen to date (after Khan, IV and VI).

I saw "The Nightmare Before Christmas." Hmm. My verdict is that this is an OK film. After "This is Halloween" and "What's This?" none of the songs really work. And I think the story is a little flat. Jack all of a sudden sees that Sally loves him at the end? Whatever.

I sat down and watched "West Side Story" from beginning to end. I am always amazed at the enormity of this movie. Just a fantastic story that never gets dull. The opening 10 minutes are the best, especially the three guys snapping their fingers in the alley.

Oh yeah, and "The Upside of Anger." Joan Allen is great in this. Everyone else pales in comparison.

12 Monkeys. I'm sure many will disagree with me but I found this film to be spectacular. It's abstractness is well placed, and I really like the feel Gilliam gives the film. The final sequence in the airport is one of the best climaxes to a film that I've ever seen. Awesome film that I must watch again!

Justin

12 Monkeys is a very good film. There are so many Gilliam-ish elements in there but they fit the story well. It has those absurd elements in just the right amount.I should watch it again. It has been a while since I last saw it.

I saw the Seahawk the other day. A good pirate movie if little predictable. Fun swashbuckling. Much better than Flynn's first movie Captain Blood. I have to see if I can find any more of those old swashbuckler movies. They are great (if you can stomach the often funny plot and the cliches, but I consider them part of the fun:) ).

Korngold's score was brilliant as ever.

THE FANTASTIC FOUR - After my bout of chatroom mayhem with certain individuals here on Saturday night, I painfully sat down with 3 kegs of Miller beer and watched FF. What a major disappointment! I booed when Stan Lee appeared in his trademark cameo. Someone kill the old cout now! The Fab 4...sorry...the Fad 4's acting was a wooden as Davy Jones' Locker. Although I must admit the picture and effects were above par and the DTS sound rocked especially the explosion sequence in space had my 66th chin quaking. Overall no 2 chins up from this director / film critic / blonde handler.

Fantastic Four sucked big time! Oh how disappointed I was and I am not the biggest fan of the comic. I went to see it with my friends in the movies (there was 9 € badly spent) and we bashed the movie practically for hours after that. We made tons of superhero jokes. That was more fun than the movie.

Aw, come on. At least Chris Evans (Johnny Storm) was having fun. And the effects were pretty good, especially the space scene and the bridge scene.

That said, I doubt the sequel will be that exciting.

Oh the effects were fine but the plot was pretty goofy. There were scenes with absolutely no purpose but to show how cool Johnny Storm was. MTV stuff that was obviously just put to the movie to please teens. The plot could have been much better. I am not waiting the sequel with any anticipation at all.

The Rainmaker. I'll never know why I love this movie so much, but I find it to be very inspiring, well-directed (things I can't say for a lot of other Coppola movies), and very well acted. Maybe I have a soft spot for the movie... or maybe it's an underrated excellent trial movie.

I just can't hate a trial movie that questions the very point of trials and shows no nobility in the profession of the law. Sorry if any respectful lawyers read this, you know I don't mean you.

This is the way I (thought I) understood it:

Lamar sets up Anderton to meet Leo Crow. He sets up Leo Crow to look like he kidnapped Anderton's son. When Anderton goes to that room, he finds the pictures, and at that point he decides to kill Crow. That is what the precogs saw. The fact that Lamar set both sides up doesn't really make any difference, if I've understood it correctly.

Problem is, Lamar doesn't set up Anderton to me Crowe, the precogs' vision did. What you say would make sense, but in the film, the link between Anderton and Crowe is missing.

Lamar created the prevision. That's it. The precogs didn't predict it, he implanted the memory into them. Lamar told Crow how to act it out so it would be the same.

Minority Report is very much my favorite film. :(

Marc, no need to worry about the source material. Here is a list of the things that are the same between the short story and the movie:

-PreCrime

-a conspiricy

The end. The movie is way better.

~Sturgis

12 Monkeys. I'm sure many will disagree with me but I found this film to be spectacular.

I don't disagree. I still need the DVD.

Marian - who likes Sea Hawk but prefers Captain Blood (and still needs both DVDs).

Saw HP 4 again. This is an exceptionally not good movie. The film is lacking any style, while the third film not only had style, but even has a whole theme going on! ('Something Wicked This Way Comes)'

I was particulaly struck this time around by how terrible Voldermort's return is. Fiennes is so unimposing, and not even particulaly threatening. His performance seems like an afterthought. The terrible, terrible, makeup doesn't help, and the cinematography, which is generaly boring in the film, is muddled and dark and ugly.

12 Monkeys is one of the genuine classics from the mid-90's.

Saw the Tarantino directed CSI episode(s). Found it amazing (although the story slightly simplistic for CSI's standards). Still; I was on the edge of my seat while it was playing!

I gave up in CSI, I love forensic science, but this show is just utterly unrealistic. (forensic scientists don't question suspects, nor do they carry guns)

And yet you like James Bond...

Saw Star Trek V: The Final Frontier. I enjoyed myself. Sure, the last 35 minutes or so are totaly moronic. But the first 60-70 minutes are perfectly watchable. The characters are all there in full glory, plenty of those great Star Trek lines and moments. The villain is quite interesting, and engaging, and the music is terrific. Sure, it all fizzles into one big nothing, but, to tell the truth, so do many of the other ST outings, in film or on TV. You're left with those character moments. And the music. So, no, this is not a good movie. I'd give it **1/2 out of ****. But it has it's moments, it does for a little while generate a genuine sense of excitment and wonder, and I don't think it is nearly as bad as it is made out to be.

I was going to watch VII, IX, and X now, but David Warner made me feel like watching VI again. I think I'll pop it in.

Yes I do.

But Bond is pure fantasy, so is Star Trek.

CSI is just plain silly.

Can't get into Lost either, I feel the big secret is just a big red herring, mystery for the sake of mystery.

It could turn out to be the X-Files of the 21th Century, and that's not a compliment.

Saw the trailer for The Three Burials of Melquiades Estrada. Looks like it could be an excellent film, Jones finally giving those great performances again.

Duel. This time I was surprised that the ending (the climax) came so abruptly. I still liked it though.

What were you going to expect from a TV movie of the week? "I'll be rightttt heeerreeee".

Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind. A very good film. Not one that I instantly love though. I'll have to see it again. The whole love story with Kirsten Dunst seemed rather pontless.

Hannibal. For those of you that have doubts about seeing this film. GO SEE IT NOW. Ray Liotta eats his own brain.

Yes you heard right. :|

Justin

The Game. A very good thriller. Although I don't really buy the plausibility of the story, the film is genuinly engaging and sucked me in very well. I figured it was all a game to begin with but the film did a good job of making me forget about that thought till the end. Simalerly with Se7en the finale is incredibly intense and probably the best sequence in the film. The best surprise is when Michael Douglas leaps off the building. Again, a well executed thriller with some good twists although I almost get a sense of Shymalan syndrome which creating a whole film around a twist at the end. Still, I enjoyed myself. Score was good but not great.

Justin

Barry Lyndon

Wonderful cinematography, but that was about it for me. O'Neal was convincing at times and not so much at others. Worth a watch one time, but nothing I'll ever revisit.