Best Star Wars PREQUEL TRILOGY CD-soundtrack?

benefactor

Best Star Wars PREQUEL TRILOGY CD-soundtrack?  

27 members have voted

1. 1.

• The Phantom Menace
    • The Phantom Menace - Ultimate Edition
    • Attack of the Clones
    • Revenge of the Sith

Since many of us already heard ROTS it is fair to ask.

Personally I?m stand with The Phantom Menace regular edition here. Despite some dull tracks and editing situation it?s much more original, excited and musically colorful imho :wave: .

MY UPDATE!

Just a little reminder on TPM:

Star Wars Main Title and The Arrival At Naboo

Duel of the Fates

Anakin's Theme

The Sith Spacecraft and The Droid Battle

The Arrival At Tatooine and The Flag Parade

Anakin Defeats Sebulba

Panaka And The Queen's Protectors

The Droid Invasion and The Appearance Of Darth Maul

Qui-Gob's Noble End

The High Council Meeting and Qui-Gon's Funeral /originally/

So what really have AOTC or ROTS to beat it?

• Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

AOTC

/deth ducks, gets hit by a crazed jwfan member, and stumbles away... only to be beaten and bruised again...... and again...

TPM. Duel of the Fates? The Droid Invasion? The Flag Parade? Love em'. I like AotC, and I think RotS will grow on me (though it's a close second), but overall, right now, I say The Phantom Menace.

~Sturgis

AOTC

/deth ducks, gets hit by a crazed jwfan member, and stumbles away... only to be beaten and bruised again...... and again...

:wave: LOL ROTFLMAO LOL ROTFLMAO LOL ROTFLMAO LOL ROTFLMAO LOL ROTFLMAO LOL

I feel like I need physically have the actual soundtrack. I?m hoping I?ll get a better sense of the

score?s overall sound if its in better sound quality. Probably a matter of hearing it more, too.

- Adam

You gotta go with the TPM UE. Despite it's many and glaring flaws, it's still the "complete" score.  

John- also ducking

as you should,

Q. How long have you been a member here?

A. Long enough to know that TPM UE is not the complete score.

Hence the "complete". Too much good music was left off the TPM OST in favor of generic underscore for me to call it the best.

Isn't a thread like this a bit too early?  I haven't heard a single note of ROTS.

so... how does it feel out there?

So far I'd say TPM is number one and RotS is second.AotC is third.That could change once I hear the full score in the film.

K.M.

1. RotS is the best original soundtrack release since ESB's 2-LP in 1980.

a) ROTJ's 1st release was pathetic in terms of shortness (although it still has the best "Emperor's Death"),

B) TPM's 1st release was good, but half of the best parts weren't even on that release (and some weren't even on the Ultimate Edition" either).

c) AOTC's 1st release did contain most of the better part of the score, but also lacked some of the better cues.

In terms of the entire score, we'll have to wait until both the movie comes out, and then the complete score (who knows when). But in terms of a commercially released album, this one is my favorite since ESB. I LOVE it!

Soon I will write my very detailed review for the ROTS score.

ROTS is by far the best prequel score and that's the score I voted for.

Having not listened to RotS, and not intending to listen to it until I have the CD in my hands, I will not comment on it.

TPM OST was pretty good - the tracks were quite well chosen and the action music as presented was cool. Great downsides were the lack of some of the best tracks in the film (Anakin is Free; The Tide Turns etc), the annoying repeat of the Coruscant arrival music and a poorish middle section.

TPM UE was on one hand amazing - the full score as heard in the film, only a few months after the film's release - and on one awful - the "full score" with "every note of music by JW" was simply a lie, and its release presumably makes a PROPER full score a la the 1997 Special Editions unlikely for the time being. I would still say, though, that it has more positives than negatives, and some parts of the score are just breathtaking. The last track is just crap though.

AOTC OST is my choice though for a simple reason: whatever people think of the score (personally, I am in the "listen to it more, love Across the Stars, ignore the lack of Anakin's theme and it is brilliant" camp), the choice of music on the OST was outstanding. Yes, there was stuff left off (particularly Anakin's dark side moments, and that fantastic statement of Anakin's theme when he first meets Padme), and yes the order is a little messed up, BUT compared to the stuff left off TPM OST they are minor quibbles. The album is well balanced between action, ATS-based love music, that glorious Star Wars-feel music (like "Departing Coruscant" - which I really like, but many people hate) and that AMAZING sweep into the End Credits. It is the best represenattion of the music in the film of any of the SW Prequel CDs - excluding the UE, but then the point of an "Ultimate" Edition is not to represent the music in the film, but to be a COMPLETE score.

Thus, for how it fulfilled its role, AOTC gets my vote.

Therefore

I just listened to ROTS and for a first listen I have to say I am unimpressed.

I mean its not bad but for a big finale SW film this was not nearly what I expected.

I guess its better than AOTC but TPM is still the best.

Okay, now I've listened to it.

TPM had a spectacular score. Epic and glorious in every sense. It's everything I'd ever want in a SW score. I think both the OST and the UE compliment each other, so I won't complain about the presentation of the releases.

AOTC was different, but it still felt "Star Warsy", with some memorable action cues, neat romance stuff and a powerful finale. The presentation of the CD was great, except the sound quality was surprisingly hissy for a 2002 recording.

ROTS... I don't know. It has its moments. Of course, I haven't seen the movie, but this score just lacks the heart the previous two had. Each proceding track just seems to drag on with more and more generic action and sad underscore. I'd like to believe the other unreleased half of ROTS has more interesting and enjoyable music than what's presented here (I say this because quite a few people bashed Jerry Goldsmith's Star Trek: Nemesis for similar reasons when it was released on album, but wadda-ya-know, it really worked wonders in the film). I never thought I'd ever say I was disappointed with a SW soundtrack, but in this case for now, I am. Could it be that both Drew Struzan AND John Williams were so uninspired by this movie, their own art suffered?

All up, TPM UE gets my vote over the OST simply because there's more on it.

I also gotta say I am SEVERLY underwhelmed by the new themeatic material.

I mean 1 new theme?

ITs not even that great of a theme at that. I mean its good but if you are only gonna have 1 for a movie like this it better be friggin amazing.

Well,RotS has it's share of dud cues:SW and RotS:Mis mash of (badly edited)action cues from the film,interesting quote of the force theme but Williams has done much better.General Grevious and Grevious and the Droids could be generic action cues from the middle part of The Lost World,AotC or Minority Report,scores I don't care much about as far as the action writing is concerned,so these aren't winners for me.Padme's Ruminations and Palpatines Teaching's...could this get more boring,next!...The Birth of the Twins and Padme's Destiny...I aready have most of this on my TPM c.d...A New Hope and End Credits...a waste of space except the for the first minute,what were they thinking...

That leaves:

Anakin's Dream

Battle of the Heroes

Anakin's Betrayal

Obi Wan vs Anakin

Anakin's Dark Deeds

Enter Lord Vader

The Immolation Scene

Grevious Speaks to Lord Sidious

In all 8 tracks only which are pretty decent (but not among Williams instant classics) on this album.

K.M.

I like the way the end credits end. The final 3 minutes are wonderful. It sounds so very much like a celebration of that original Star Wars feel (even though it's basically the Throne Room, I really dig this new orchestration). And Palpatine's Teaching had some interesting themes in there IMO, although I've only listened to it once.

I like the way the end credits end. The final 3 minutes are wonderful. It sounds so very much like a celebration of that original Star Wars feel (even though it's basically the Throne Room, I really dig this new orchestration).

Are you kidding? What kind of celebration is that?

This concert version of Throne Room presented on almost every respectful Star Wars re-recordings so far (Gerhardt, Mehta, Skywalker Symphony, Prague Philharmonic etc). Last 1:50 are the same as in Return of the Jedi. Transition between Throne Room and finale cue (11:14) is rather artificial, jarring and awkward. It is the only ?special? think about this track.

And don?t let me start about actual transition to the End Credits. What could be finest Star Wars finale since ESB became its worst.

Wonderful is actually not the word, meesa think.

Sheesh. I don't know. Are you guys even Williams fans? Were you all expecting something else?

I CAN'T WAIT FOR STEPMOM II: The LONG-AWAITED DEATH of The Step-mom!!!! ACCIDENTAL TOURIST V: THE TRIP TO HELL! SLEEPERS IV: The Return of the sleep!!!!

(I'll have to add a JUST KIDDING here because some people are allowed to joke and others are banned or attacked for joking.)

Oh well, I loved every track. My only real beef is.... IT'S TOO DAMN SHORT! :wave:

your weren't banned for joking, you were banned because you were hallucinating remember?

I can't say I love every track, but I liked most of them. Never heard #9.

I would have voted for ROTS if the track ordering were different. If you listen to the 2nd half in chronological order (or as best as I can guess right now), it makes for a better experience (IMO):

Anakin's Betrayal

Enter Lord Vader

Anakin's Dark Deeds

Battle of the Heroes

Anakin vs Obi-Wan

The Immolation Scene

Birth of the Twins

The AOTC album made great use of Across the Stars, Duel of the Fates, and the Imperial March.

Wow looks like TPM UE is leading!!!

There are so many people who are easily seductive.

But it actually proves something about quality of the score itself!

Wow looks like TPM UE is leading!!!

There are so many people who are easily seductive.

But it actually proves something about quality of the score itself!

It proves nothing other than TPM has had 6 years to build up a fan base, while ROTS has had 3 days.

Hence the "complete". Too much good music was left off the TPM OST in favor of generic underscore for me to call it the best.

Not so much in favor of generic score as in favor of looped and tracked music heard elsewhere on the album.

Personally, I think TPM is one of Williams' best scores of the past few years (has it been 6 already?). We just haven't had the chance yet to fully enjoy it the way it should be: in its complete form, as John Williams originally wrote it.

It proves nothing other than TPM has had 6 years to build up a fan base, while ROTS has had 3 days.

Agreed.

Still, 3 years wasn't enough to build equal fan base for AOTC which is on a par to ROTS in some way. IMHO of course.

I'm starting to think that RotS is tied for any version of TPM. I may have voted differently if I waited to vote until now. RotS is really starting to feel like an awesome score, especially the action music and the lamentations.

Well,in the end I must say the TPM OST isn't that great either.I remember beeing disappointed also before I heard the score in the movie.The Coruscant Fanfare is repeated twice,DotF and Anakin's theme are also repeated twice(individual concert pieces and the End Credits suite),then there's this long boring part with the Swim to Otoh Gunga music and Through the Planet Core.The Droid Battle,Escape from Naboo and Panaka and the Queen's Protectors fare better than the RotS and AotC action music beeing more old school Williams.Then theres some other filler music with Trip to the Naboo Temple and Audience with Boss Nass,Watto's Deal and Kids at Play,which are not a very exciting cue either.He is the Chosen One is the kind of soft Williams underscore I like though.Somehow all those cues on the OST fare better in context of the full score.

So all in all,I can't draw more of a conclusion about RotS untill I hear the score in the film and the unreleased music..

K.M.Happy he has come to this conclusion

Hey King Mark, you might not realize what a difference this makes, but I've been doing a little remastering of the RotS tracks to make them sound sonically more like the recordings from the OT. It makes a huge difference on how I perceive the music. AOTC and ROTS are both too slick sounding because of close mics being up to loud. I just added some really high quality reverb. It has that nice OT sound even when the action music is "wierd." It took a long time to match it, but I'm very pleased. I also burned it chronologically, dropped track 9 and edited the end credits track to go straight into the Charles Gerhardt recording of the ANH end credits. This removes the performance of the Throne Room theme and focuses solely on the alternations between Luke and Leia's themes. I'm much more pleased now, and can't wait to hear the rest of the score.

cooledit pro, which was bought by adobe and now has some other name.

I actually used the warm concert hall reverb and made a few modifications based on the OT recordings.

I wouldn't normally recommend this, but when Star Wars is mastered with dry trumpets, you just have to step in and do something. For the love of god, did they think this was The Lost World or something?

But the LSO and Abby Road are a good founsation for doing this.

I also found good places to start tracks 6 and 8 to get rid of the crappy beginnings. I think the remaining cues are quite wonderful.